• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

ib0bqoAxy8a3we.gif

Yes, homophobic, racist, sexist pieces of crap should be banned forever, no matter how old they are.

Wanna keep playing your shiny new game? Try to be a decent human being.

At the same time, that's like saying children should always be tried as adults. It's also assuming that said children have grown up in an environment which has taught them that such things are wrong. Punishment is appropriate, but I don't know if a once and done policy is best all things considered.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yes, homophobic, racist, sexist pieces of crap should be banned forever, no matter how old they are.

Can't say I agree with permabanning someone for something possibly done by their stupid 13 year old self, a month ban would be more than sufficient as a first offense for teaching a lesson.
Reach introduced a somewhat effective solution to this problem. If someone gets muted enough times then they're automatically muted to other players when they go online. Seems good enough to me, just incorporate the feature into reporting people as well, since people tend to not realize how easy it is to mute people.

Huh, maybe that's why I would come into games with some people premuted, I always thought I had just ran into them in the past and muted them then.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Sounds like Bulletins will be more like Halo 3-era Bungie Weekly Updates now, with actually interesting additions throughout the year to look forward to. Shame we can't have it all at launch, but as long as this philosophy isn't an empty pacifier for the Waypoint firestorm, this should be great.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, yes it sounds good, but how strict will they be and how will they enforce it. What if someone takes a light hearted comment too seriously? What if there is a misinterpretation? Maybe it's just that I prefer all things internet to be wild west style, but I could see this coming with unfortunate consequences. Also, life time ban for first offense? That 13 year old should really be punished forever?

It won't scale well, although its a great cause. It will be little more effective than filing a complaint through someone's gamer profile.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
From the bulletin said:
If you preorder weapon skins (e.g., Arctic BR from GameStop), will they unlock the weapon as soon as you redeem the code, or will you have to unlock the weapon before you get the weapon skin? - a zoojoo

You'll get immediate access to that weapon (or armor for that matter) with that skin; you don't have to rank up or spend Spartan Points. For weapons this is mostly a fairly small head start, since the skinned pre-order weapons are low in the ranks, but some of the armor skins will definitely give you earlier access to that type of armor.
Hah! I can use the BR from the very beginning. :-D

Edit : Campaign theater, groups functionality, skill-based rankings... I'm looking forward to the possibilities of this "not-so-distant" future.

Syriel

It sounds like a lot of reviewers have said the game could use better objectives in the SP...

Pretty much spot-on. Made the same point in my review.

I agree with him on backtracking and objectives. You have to admit a lot of Halo boils down to clear area or clear area and hold x to active/deactivate something. The problem is giving the player something to do that seems necessary for a supersoldier to pull off. The most obvious action is what we get, overcoming seemingly overwhelming odds. Doesn't mean 343 can't spice things up or at least try to. That said, no idea what's waiting in the campaign so this discussion isn't very fair.

You've just described the campaign. The combat is polished and fun (and some of the art in each level is impressive), but design is more or less open space, combat, open space, combat, flip a switch, repeat three times. It's the exact same thing you've seen time and again in Halo. Honestly, it's the sheer abundance of content, the new Forge tools and the initial MP impressions that are the reason for Halo 4 scoring as it did. If it were purely a SP game, the scores would be lower.

That's the thing - Tashi seems to think the campaign does an excellent job keeping objectives fresh. Who is right I suppose we'll see at launch.

But that's not why we're laughing.

As noted above, the campaign is where Halo 4 feels most like prior games. It's the other areas where 343 steps out of Bungie's shadow a bit.

nillapuddin

So I looked through this EGM guys other reviews, wondering if maybe he is overly pessimistic, maybe he leans towards one genre of gaming...

Trying to get a better understanding of what this guy likes, dislikes, etc
(which everyone should do when considering a specific authors review)

• Skyrim - 10
  • Borderlands 2 - 9.5
  • Sleeping Dogs - 9.5
  • Dishonored - 9.5
  • Dead Island - 9.5
  • Rage - 9.5
  • Dance Central 3 - 9
  • Infamous 2 - 9
  • Spec Ops: The Line - 9
  • DE:HR - 8.5
  • Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - 8.5
  • H:CEA - 8.5
  • Kingdoms of Amalur - 8.5
  • Twisted Metal - 8.5
  • Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - 8
  • NBA 2k13 - 8
  • Madden NFL 13 - 8
  • NCAA Football 13 - 8
  • Inversion - 7.5
  • Brink - 7.5
  • Syndicate - 7.5
  • Halo 4 - 7
  • Game of Thrones - 6.5
  • Resistance: Burning Skies - 6.5

In his opinion, Halo 4 as a holistic experience is somewhere between GoT the game and Inversion

I will have Halo 4 for myself in a few days and none of the posted reviews will effect my experience, but I must say his was one of the most off-paced ones published

Damn, my CC info was stolen so I had to get another and I updated the info for my Newegg order and my order was cancelled. Dammit, I need to find another deal for this game fast. Help?

Jomjom

Banned
At the same time, that's like saying children should always be tried as adults. It's also assuming that said children have grown up in an environment which has taught them that such things are wrong. Punishment is appropriate, but I don't know if a once and done policy is best all things considered.

13 is not a little kid. At 13 I knew acting like that was wrong and I didn't need any adults to tell me that to know. Hell, at 6 or 7 I already knew that.

You guys need to stop excusing bad behavior just because of a number. Just because you aren't at the age the law designates the age at which you become an adult, doesn't mean you somehow have absolutely no control of your actions or know what's right or wrong.

Holiday

Banned
I wonder what will be missing at launch but available for a nebulous TU in Halo 5. Button layouts? Plasma weapons? Surely not Grifball.

You've just described the campaign. The combat is polished and fun (and some of the art in each level is impressive), but design is more or less open space, combat, open space, combat, flip a switch, repeat three times. It's the exact same thing you've seen time and again in Halo. Honestly, it's the sheer abundance of content, the new Forge tools and the initial MP impressions that are the reason for Halo 4 scoring as it did. If it were purely a SP game, the scores would be lower.

So would other Halo games. Halo3s story for example was confusing to newbies, bad unbelievable face animations and character design with incredibly cheesy dialogue that was god fucking awful that could potentially be even worst than 4. And THAT'S one of the highest scoring Halo games out there.

All i ask is for consistency.

I usually don't get too concerned about review scores, but it does peeve me that the EGM review knocked this down to a 89.54% on gamerankings. The guy just was not opened minded about the game nor constructive with his criticism.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://i.imgur.com/t2IMT.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Haha, I made a VERY similar face when I saw those two scores.

[quote="Xamdou, post: 43879226"]What time does the new Forward Unto Down episode released?[/QUOTE]
3am Pacific, I believe.

DrBo42

That's disappointing. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to 343 being worried about fan reception without "Bungie" on the box. I'd imagine the ability of Halo as a series to grow or experiment is crushed by the commercial pressure/massive community. Tough gig.

Gray Man

Banned

I don't agree with this mentality at all, at age 13 you should focus on helping that person understand why being racist is a bad thing, or sexist.

Just outright banning them on a first offense won't explain why that's not a good thing.

That's disappointing. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to 343 being worried about fan reception without "Bungie" on the box. I'd imagine the ability of Halo as a series to grow or experiment by the commercial pressure/massive community. Tough gig.

But that's exactly what confuses me, they've seemed to outdo Bungie in practically every department of the SP campaign. Visuals, animations, faces, gameplay, storytelling etc.. And yet, its barely any better? What the fuck does the game need to do, give a blow job too? Come oooooon.

Consistency fuck! Why is that so hard in reviews.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree with this mentality at all, at age 13 you should focus on helping that person understand why being racist is a bad thing, or sexist.

Just outright banning them on a first offense won't explain why that's not a good thing.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. It'd be cool if Microsoft/343/whoever gave a warning for first time offenses, with something like:

- What you said is racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/etc.
- Here's how it is racist/etc.
- Don't do it again or we'll ban you.

These don't have to be custom tailored messages. They can use pre-written blanket responses. I don't know how effective it would be, but it might make some people think. And if not, ban'em.

Isn't that kind of attitude, ironically, incredibly intolerant?
No. This is an assertion that's commonly thrown around, but no. Being intolerant to racist/sexist/or otherwise oppressive behavior isn't intolerance, it's standing up for yourself, standing up for others, and creating safe space.

Trey

Dammit breh, why you have to go and say that? The "you guys are intolerant for not tolerating bigotry!" argument is like GAF's fucking bat signal.

Sai-kun is right that this shit shouldn't have to be tolerated, but I feel his extreme view on the situation isn't conducive to a healthier community. Mute bans would be a more applicable punishment. Much more practical, even.

0.5 above Resistance: Burning Skies.

13355431827122jz6.gif

I'd say at 13 they shouldn't even be playing the game any way.

13 is not a little kid. At 13 I knew acting like that was wrong and I didn't need any adults to tell me that to know. Hell, at 6 or 7 I already knew that.

You guys need to stop excusing bad behavior just because of a number. Just because you aren't at the age the law designates the age at which you become an adult, doesn't mean you somehow have absolutely no control of your actions or know what's right or wrong.

I honestly cannot ever agree with the bolded. Here's a clue, if your squeaking like a 13 year old on XBL, it's probably because you are just after hitting puberty. I am actually grateful I never had the internet when I was 13.

Gaming society and culture has only reinforced the ideas that the behaviour of using sexist, racial or other kinds of derogatory language online is ok. I don't think permabans are going to be the right way to do this. It'd be like gaf decides in the morning to 180 on their stance of the word cunt and just start banning people. There needs to be communication. It has to be a process by which people can be informed what they are doing is no longer allowed and then if they continue doing it then you permaban them.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Yeah, and 343i shouldn't be the one to teach them, if anyone even could these days.

Basically, what do you think the first thing the kid is going to say when the ban message pops up? "FUCKIN F****TS WTF"

I do like that 343 is taking a position on it though.

Isn't that kind of attitude, ironically, incredibly intolerant?

Hope you're joking.

Havok

YES, a dedicated CTF playlist. Too bad it probably won't survive :(
CTF will do fine. King and Oddball will not, at least not without a magical change that transforms the Halo playerbase overnight.

I think a Team Control playlist with well-balanced Oddball, King, and Extraction offerings would do well, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think a Team Control playlist with well-balanced Oddball, King, and Extraction offerings would do well, though.
That'd be awesome. Though the new Oddball seems more like a party gametype, whereas KOTH and Extraction are things I would take a bit more seriously.

Dammit breh, why you have to go and say that? The "you guys are intolerant for not tolerating bigotry!" argument is like GAF's fucking bat signal.

Sai-kun is right that this shit shouldn't have to be tolerated, but I feel his extreme view on the situation isn't conducive to a healthier community. Mute bans would be a more applicable punishment. Much more practical, even.

It's understandable when you are dealing with adults, but with kids? (and yes, 13 still classifies as a kid IMO).

Top Bottom