• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

feel

Everyone in here is so bothered by reviews. Reminds me of the Uncharted 3 thread.
Bothered? We're having a laugh.

Ghaleon you out there? Why did you choose this title? I like it don't get me wrong, just curious. Seems like something out of Reach advertisement.

neoism

At the same time, that's like saying children should always be tried as adults. It's also assuming that said children have grown up in an environment which has taught them that such things are wrong. Punishment is appropriate, but I don't know if a once and done policy is best all things considered.

yeah if players can report others how wouldn't this be abused to hell in back....I played reach with everyone muted anyway so whatever.. think ill get a mike when playing with gaf though...

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Bothered? We're having a laugh.

Ghaleon you out there? Why did you choose this title? I like it don't get me wrong, just curious. Seems like something out of Reach advertisement.

Isn't it a reference to Halo 3's ending? Those on Earth labeled him MIA, not KIA, even though they all thought that he was dead, because Spartans could never be declared KIA.

Syriel

But that's exactly what confuses me, they've seemed to outdo Bungie in practically every department of the SP campaign. Visuals, animations, faces, gameplay, storytelling etc.. And yet, its barely any better? What the fuck does the game need to do, give a blow job too? Come oooooon.

Consistency fuck! Why is that so hard in reviews.

Visuals, animations, faces = I expect those to be better two years down the road. That's a technology improvement.

Gameplay = SP feels just like a Bungie campaign. If you gave this to someone double blind along with Reach, they would think it came from the same development house.

Storytelling = Can't go into specifics (embargo), but in my review I called this out as a weak point. The MC/Cortana interactions are good, but the story as a whole isn't that impressive.

Consistency? I thought Halo 4 was on par with Reach in terms of how it felt when you played it and the number of advances it makes over prior games. Ended up giving Halo 4 the exact same score I gave Reach.

For the record, I rated ODST higher than both as I still think that's the best Halo installment in terms of characterization and story. If you've never played a Halo game and just want the Halo style gameplay along with memorable characters, that's the one to get IMHO.

It's a line spoken by a character in Halo 4. He's obviously played the game (or watched video of someone playing it).

feel

Isn't it a reference to Halo 3's ending? Those on Earth labeled him MIA, not KIA, even though they all thought that he was dead, because Spartans could never be declared KIA.
Ah, you're right it's a reference to the Chief in the period between Halo 3 and 4, had a brain fart.

Nice. 343i is doing more with title updates. Just nice. It was always a missed opportunity by Bungie to have such a restricted patch support. I hope theater is coming back. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Frankie and David, is Extraction going to be in any of the launch playlists? Seems weird to make a gametype and not have it in matchmaking, but I guess that's true for SWAT and Grifball, too.

Squire

Banned
Sure... it's an "italian restaurant"... that's exactly what they want you to think.

lucy-pinder-hot-shots-wink.gif

Haha, what's this from?

Hey Frankie and David, is Extraction going to be in any of the launch playlists? Seems weird to make a gametype and not have it in matchmaking, but I guess that's true for SWAT and Grifball, too.
It won't be in the launch playlists because only 1 Gametype per list.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Visuals, animations, faces = I expect those to be better two years down the road. That's a technology improvement.

Gameplay = SP feels just like a Bungie campaign. If you gave this to someone double blind along with Reach, they would think it came from the same development house.

Storytelling = Can't go into specifics (embargo), but in my review I called this out as a weak point. The MC/Cortana interactions are good, but the story as a whole isn't that impressive.

Consistency? I thought Halo 4 was on par with Reach in terms of how it felt when you played it and the number of advances it makes over prior games. Ended up giving Halo 4 the exact same score I gave Reach.

For the record, I rated ODST higher than both as I still think that's the best Halo installment in terms of characterization and story. If you've never played a Halo game and just want the Halo style gameplay along with memorable characters, that's the one to get IMHO.

It's a line spoken by a character in Halo 4. He's obviously played the game (or watched video of someone playing it).

I can't tell if you're knocking that or you're praising it.

Today's bulletin:
Will there be a skill-based ranking system? - xBrutaIity

We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.

Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this? - unip8

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.

Is there any reason to worry about the possibility of significant server problems when they get bombarded Tuesday? They didn't do a beta and even though I know zilch about game design I think it would be impossible to properly test out the servers under tremendous stress without a beta of some sort. I just don't want something like that to rain on 343's parade because it appears they have produced a phenomenal game and did it under phenomenal pressure.

Monocle

It would be amazing if 343 restored Campaign Theater in a title update. I feel encouraged just knowing it's possible.

Betrayal booting takes game type and "deliberateness" into account and while in a lot of ways it's similar to the prior incarnations, we've tried to be cleverer about what the game thinks is deliberate versus accidental. And Join In Progress should help ameliorate the negative impacts for everyone involved.
Thank god, nothing was more rage inducing than Reach's betrayal booting system. I always wondered why they couldn't try and figure out if the betrayal was intentional or not. Things like high damage through multiple shots and if the betrayed player has a power weapon are 2 pretty obvious tells.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"If you preorder weapon skins (e.g., Arctic BR from GameStop), will they unlock the weapon as soon as you redeem the code, or will you have to unlock the weapon before you get the weapon skin? - a zoojoo

You'll get immediate access to that weapon (or armor for that matter) with that skin; you don't have to rank up or spend Spartan Points. For weapons this is mostly a fairly small head start, since the skinned pre-order weapons are low in the ranks, but some of the armor skins will definitely give you earlier access to that type of armor. "

Sweet!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It would be amazing if 343 restored Campaign Theater in a title update. I feel encouraged just knowing it's possible.

Honestly I feel like if they mention it, then there's a good chance of it happening. I don't see how they could say it how they did and then just say fuck it.

HiiiLife

Could someone show me where i could locate the video with the developers discussing Swat? Also hoping multi team is put into the playlists pretty early.

We got all our stock in at the store. Was looking over the Special Edition boxes tonight and noticed they're all uniquely numbered. Lowest we got was in the 50k's.

Monocle

Honestly I feel like if they mention it, then there's a good chance of it happening. I don't see how they could say it how they did and then just say fuck it.
Yeah, seems likely. And here I was feeling all bitter that one of my favorite features wasn't coming back.

Ken

"If you preorder weapon skins (e.g., Arctic BR from GameStop), will they unlock the weapon as soon as you redeem the code, or will you have to unlock the weapon before you get the weapon skin? - a zoojoo

You'll get immediate access to that weapon (or armor for that matter) with that skin; you don't have to rank up or spend Spartan Points. For weapons this is mostly a fairly small head start, since the skinned pre-order weapons are low in the ranks, but some of the armor skins will definitely give you earlier access to that type of armor. "

Sweet!

Pretty cool.

Finally a fucking statement from 343.

However, I'm calling this a BS PR answer and not getting my hopes up.

But wow I am so ready for this game.

At the very least, we know it was a technical + time/resources issue, and not a "well it wasn't used much so we said fuck it". I'm just happy they officially addressed it, but man now I do want it to be updated.. Seems there is a good chance 343 will be willing to add cool things in post launch and that makes me a happy camper. I do wonder what the limitations are though, and whether they can add something like the Mammoth into MP down the line.

Have I mentioned I really want to play this game?

Oozer3993

Some great tidbits in the Bulletin. If we get Campaign Theater back, I may cry. And it's neat to hear that I'll have my Arctic BR available from the get go!

P.S. Everyone should go see Wreck-It Ralph. It is fantastic.

P.P.S. My two loves, side by side thanks to Billboard.

UKn3A.png

Archpath1

was catching up on posts so no Standard BTB with mix of modes?
what the crap mang

and i couldn't tell but which playlists allow for large parties (8v8's), or is it only just BTB IS at launch

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
was catching up on posts so no Standard BTB with mix of modes?
what the crap mang

and i couldn't tell but which playlists allow for large parties (8v8's), or is it only just BTB IS at launch

Infinity Slayer is the only BTB "hopper" that was listed.

I'm having my doubts. One thing I really want to do in BTB is run some damn vehicles all over the place.
Infinity Slayer will poop on that, as everyone will be getting Damage Boost, Rockets, Snipers, and EMP grenades.

lame.

Archpath1

Infinity Slayer is the only BTB "hopper" that was listed.

I'm having my doubts. One thing I really want to do in BTB is run some damn vehicles all over the place.
Infinity Slayer will poop on that, as everyone will be getting Damage Boost, Rockets, Snipers, and EMP grenades.

lame.

so all the other playlists are 4v4's then so far?

Anyone have a breakdown of all the emblems that are unlockable in MP? I hope the wave from Halo 2 and 3 is back. (Super small thing, I know)

Also, does anyone know if melees do more damage when you are airborne, a la Halo 2? Rockets would be a one hit kill if you made contact in the air. Most other weapons would do a bit more damage as well.

TheOddOne

Bulletin is filled with cool stuff:
We recently got our first look at the Crimson, Majestic and Castle Map packs, expected to be out in December, February and April respectively. Can we expect any more map packs after these, and at what frequency?

We are obviously still working on those maps, some of them playable now, although not polished and some (the more distant ones) are basically concept art and geometry at this time. We will ultimately have to put sensible limits on how much DLC we create to prevent too much splintering of content and playlists. So, while some of that can be done via playlist and hopper management, the reality is that whatever we do on top of the announced maps will have to offer something logical to the existing suite.
It sounds like a "yes".
Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this?

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.
That would be a first, such a substantial aspect being brought in with TU updates? Never seen that before on consoles.
Clan support was a feature that got many players into the competitive spirit of Halo Multiplayer in a challenging-yet-rewarding way. Why has this feature died, or rather been missing in action, since Halo 2? Was it ever considered for implementation in Halo 4, and what was the deciding factor in it not being included?

As we mentioned before, we plan to continue consistent and meaningful sustainment updates to improve and enhance player experience. Social constructs are something we too have missed since Halo 2, and we're looking at interesting ways to improve those experiences in the not-too-distant future. I will be using that expression a lot. Get used to it.
Again, sounds like a "yes".

Likely Campaign Theatre TU?
Now that's more like it Mr 343I.

Just please, take it as a lesson learned in how not to let us find things out. Control the message, even especially if it's bad news.

Omni

Bulletin is filled with cool stuff:

It sounds like a "yes".

That would be a first, such a substantial aspect being brought in with TU updates? Never seen that before on consoles.
BF3 often has big updates which add new things, even on consoles.

Maybe a 4th map pack would be the "Oops-We-Forgot-Covenant-Environments-And-A-True-Blank-Slate-Large-Forge-Map-That-Has-Mammoths-Map-Pack"

Mammoths are 70m long. Too big for multiplayer.

Obviously fake, but I can see a lot of bitching (more than usual, hah) on Waypoint and whatnot to come.

Raide

Nice to hear the possible addition of Theatre etc later on down the line. I also hope they plan to do some more meaningful Forge updates...please!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
CTF will do fine. King and Oddball will not, at least not without a magical change that transforms the Halo playerbase overnight.

I think a Team Control playlist with well-balanced Oddball, King, and Extraction offerings would do well, though.

I hope so, it's a lot of fun but to be honest I never play the team games apart from slayer anymore. I actually prefer them, but the chances to organise a team of like minded folk that work together are days gone by for me I think. Which annoys me, because an awesome CTF run with buddies is sooo much fun.

Omni

Never ventured into BF3. Were the updates substantial? Could you give me some examples?

Huge. New weapons, vehicles, UI changes, map edits and general gameplay changes. Usually above 1GB each. (there have been several so far)

Probably not on the scale as implementing theatre in campaign but still pretty damn big.

Seance

Banned
Huge. New weapons, vehicles, UI changes, map edits and general gameplay changes. Usually above 1GB each. (there have been several so far)

Probably not on the scale as implementing theatre in campaign but still pretty damn big.

Each update fucked up some aspect of the game.

Suppression Buff
M26 Glitch
AUGA3 M320 smoke glitch
FAMAS retardification

Not worthwhile IMO

FyreWulff

Nice to hear the possible addition of Theatre etc later on down the line. I also hope they plan to do some more meaningful Forge updates...please!

They could do it. It's possible to add new objects to the maps after the fact (as long as they don't alter old ones)

Top Bottom