• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

FyreWulff

With the addition of all the movement AAs and now universal sprint, people should be thinking of what looks like medium sized maps as the new small. The era of Midship / Chill Out Sized maps is pretty much over at this point.

I really hope he was rushing through the game. The impressions sound amazing, but if the campaign was only 9 hours that makes me sad :(. I want a 12-15 hour campaign... I want as much Halo SP as I can get.

I remember Halo 3 campaign being relatively long but, I played it over the weekend solo/heroic in what felt like 6-7 hours. 9 hours seems about in line for a Halo campaign first run.

Fabrik

Banned
I really hope he was rushing through the game. The impressions sound amazing, but if the campaign was only 9 hours that makes me sad :(. I want a 12-15 hour campaign... I want as much Halo SP as I can get.

Yep, this is a definite bargain bin purchase for someone only interested in the single player campaign.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've been so busy these last few months that I'm essentially going into Halo 4 blind. I know about the game modes, and I've devoured FUD, but that's about it.

Didn't have time to finish Glasslands or any of the books though, which is a shame.

willow ve

This is possibly the first Halo game since CE where I am more excited for the campaign and co-op modes than the multiplayer side. With all the additions and changes made to multiplayer I just can't get excited for jetpack, hardlight shield, not picking up grenades, CTF mess, etc. However the more I hear about campaign and Sparty Ops the more I am excited for that content.

heckfu

Banned
So is this my new home or is the community thread still going to be kickin?

edit: oooh, just saw my avatar on a non-gaf dark themed screen and it DOES look good!

Miles X

Halo series has sold 46M copies. It was at 40M in June 2011, so Anniversary must have sold quite well and Reach probably continued to bring steady revenues as well. :)

Anniversary didn't do well, MS reported 1.5m back a few months ago, Reach at 7m. I'm guessing the 40m figure was rounded down.

Edit - 39.5m here

ExpertZone2_0016_watermarkWhite+copy+12.jpg

Alienups

I haven't played on either of my consoles in years. Ive always been more of a PC focused gamer and i went PC only after the FFXIII debacle. Since then i've often followed console exclusives like Uncharted/Forza etc closely but i never made the jump to purchase them. I never needed to play them.

But i just pre-ordered Halo 4, despite being a campaign only guy. Despite having to be careful with my money these days. Despite not thinking too highly of most Halo campaigns besides the CE one. And being dissappoint in Bungie not using their expanded universe as much as they should have done.

And it's all because that little game in 2001 blew my brain away. First time setting foot on Halo, first time looking at the skybox, first time hearing the main theme in the menu. All of those are some of my most fondest gaming memories.

Fucking Halo

broony

Embargo is breaking surprisingly early, what's that about?

Guess they are feeling confident on scores. The more time people have to read reviews before launch then more sales. Especially giving people the whole of the weekend to read reviews.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hype overload. After this OT, and that Monumental post, my hype levels have somehow increased.

Amazing OT.

Striker

Ragnarok still felt pretty big for 4v4. It's still best suited for 6v6 - 8v8.
Did you also think Last Resort and Standoff were crampy in Halo 3 BTB? I thought Valhalla itself was just large enough, although the pathways were quite limited for such a large number of people. Now I'm adding in sprint (some with non stop sprint) and an arsenal of rifles that can shoot base to mid with general ease this time, there's less open ends when factoring in so many players. I'm not disregarding your opinion on it, but we just see these things differently. The map was not very large in H3 for 8v8, so I'm having a hard time seeing it fit here. Exile and Longbow will be more interesting, because they have more paths for flag carriers, flanks, and vehicle routes.

volturnus

Banned
Great OT, but I still don't get what are the main differences between previous Halo MP that people are complaining about (besides perks).

Also, is green thumb back?

LosDaddie

Banned
HaloGAF, help me out. Calm my nerves about the MP. I love Halo's MP. And yes, that includes Reach's MP. I prefer the fairness of it, unlike the Perk & killstreak system of CoD. I mean, I don't hate CoD's MP, I just prefer Halo's MP and only have time for 1 online FPS.

Even though I've had the LE preordered since it was announced, I've barely followed any media coverage of Halo 4. I haven't watched any of FUD shows yet. The only trailers I seen have been on TV.

Anyone here play the MP yet? How is it?

Shame that even if I had it pre-ordered I would still miss those tiny pre-order things.

I would love the Premium Theme since I have none decent, only the original ones and could even go for some love for the Avatar!

Any Video about the Premium Theme? Kinda Curious. Also, this does come with a tiny bit of Xbox Live right?

What is this? Does the premium theme come with the LE?

Yep, this is a definite bargain bin purchase for someone only interested in the single player campaign.

image.php

x-Lundz-x

Embargo is breaking surprisingly early, what's that about?

I'm pretty sure this game is going to score off the charts and they know it. When review embargos are held up until release day it usually means the pub is not confident it's going to get stellar reviews.

Subitai

Smashing OT Ghal!

Can't believe my hype keeps getting higher. I just wish it had come out a month or more sooner as it would have sold more not brushing so close to CoD. MS had to do this though to push systems against the Wii U launch, so I guess I can sort of blame Nintendo.

Can't wait to get in a Scorpion and...MANTIS!
wTVyr.gif

UNSC-Mantis-T-bag.gif

nillapuddin

The game itself comes with a 2 week gold pass, not sure if that was mentioned anywhere
very tired

------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the kind words on the graphics everyone

Halo!

Conor 419

Banned
I'm pretty sure this game is going to score off the charts and they know it. When review embargos are held up until release day it usually means the pub is not confident it's going to get stellar reviews.

So are we expecting Ocarina of Time/GTAIV level of quality?

LosDaddie

Banned
Oh and great OP there, Ghal. Very well done! :)

Can I get on the HaloGAF gamertag friends list? I'll be playing this game a ton...until GTA V drops

TommyT

Vacation has been booked for months. I foresee this bringing back into console multiplayer for a LONG time. To which I will enjoy playing with many of the HaloGAF community once again.

m23

SUPER hyped for this. I bought all of the books in preparation, am almost done with Ghosts of Onyx, but still have Glasslands and Thursday War to go before next Tuesday. I tried reading Cryptum but was just soooo bored 3/4 of the way through I decided it'd be quicker to just read those other books.

That sucks, I would highly recommend Cryptum and Primordium seeing as how the Foreunners will be such a large part of this trilogy. Maybe its just me, but I'm fascinated by the Forerunners and enjoyed the books even though there were some slow parts.

Heysoos

Anyone know if Walmart is doing midnight release? They seem to be the only ones left with the LE. I'm planning on passing by after class later this afternoon but if anyone knows you can save me the trip. :)

Sanjuro

There were a lot of opportunity to get the CE but you missed them out. Amazon and Gamestop restocked them for a short period of time two weeks ago. Now I think it is safe to say they are gone. (Except people don't pick theirs up).

The next question is: Where do you live? If USA, the shop you should choose is Gamestop because you will get a) an Armor skin, b) a weapon skin for the Battle Rifle, c) a Ghost avatar prop, d) a Xbox Live Premium theme.

Are those with a standard pre-order? I don't remember them mentioning any of that stuff.

So I'm pretty much out of luck if I want the LE huh?
Decided last minute that I don't want the regular version. :/
Depends on where you live, I guess. If you reside in the US, Gamestop will probably be out of LE stock. However, you could always try Target, Best Buy, or Walmart if you really think you want it. I'd like to believe that Microsoft has learned their lesson after the massive overstock of the Halo 3 and Reach special editions, but I doubt you won't be able to find it.

If you live outside of the US, I can't give you any advice.

Anyone know if Walmart is doing midnight release? They seem to be the only ones left with the LE. I'm planning on passing by after class later this afternoon but if anyone knows you can save me the trip. :)
Don't most Walmart's stay open for 24 hours? I haven't been to one in ages, so I don't know.

Top Bottom