• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Woorloog

Banned
even if the dmr > br in the pro's hands, doesnt mean most players will feel the same way...

I fear majority of Reach's players moving on to Halo 4 will use the DMR due to its familiriarity and thus it will become the most popular weapon... and people will think it good as well due to its popularity. Slippery slope. That's what i fear.

Personally i will avoid the weapon, as i said, it reminds me too much of Reach and its bad things. Don't want that.
Besides, i don't like it, its design, sound, feel or action.

DrBo42

I fear majority of Reach's players moving on to Halo 4 will use the DMR due to its familiriarity and thus it will become the most popular weapon... and people will think it good as well due to its popularity. Slippery slope. That's what i fear.

Personally i will avoid the weapon, as i said, it reminds me too much of Reach and its bad things. Don't want that.
Funny, I feel that way about the BR and always have.

.shin

Banned

Will you also avoid using sprint because it reminds you of Reach?

HiiiLife

I'm honestly surprised at how good the DMR seems. I love that they changed the bloom. It's for the better, imo. Even the sound is pretty awesome. But I miss the BR. So that'll definitely be my go to rifle. I just hope they both have an even amount of pros/cons. I'd hate to use a rifle knowing I'm playing with a "handicap".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i'm expecting noobs to rock the AR, as its very user friendly and looks quite beastly at close range. average to good players to prefer the br, as you dont have to be pinpoint accurate to land at least one of a burst for a headshot. and good to great to prefer dmr, as they'll be able to consistently place shots where they want them.

of course all this is a bit fluid depending on map. also, considerable overlap (ie, pros kicking ass with br, good players slayin with ar...)

of course all this is purely speculation on my behalf.

Woorloog

Banned
Will you also avoid using sprint because it reminds you of Reach?

Nah. Just the DMR. Bloom, boring-ass single-shot rifle. It is the icon of Reach as i see it, along with nuclear grenades and armor lock.

i'm expecting noobs to rock the AR, as its very user friendly and looks quite beastly at close range. average to good players to prefer the br, as you dont have to be pinpoint accurate to land at least one of a burst for a headshot. and good to great to prefer dmr, as they'll be able to consistently place shots where they want them.

of course all this is a bit fluid depending on map.

of course all this is purely speculation on my behalf.

Hmm. Noob+average=good, right? So, i'll pick Firepower and BR+AR...
Regardless, i avoid the DMR.

Noobs won't be using the AR long as main weapon, unless they're stupid. It should be relatively easy to realize you get destroyed by the BR and other mid-range weapons if you stick to the AR. And so they move to the DMR, if they hear pro's use it. And maybe they'll learn it. Regardless, the end result will be heavily skewed on the DMR's favor, i fear.

op_ivy

Noobs won't be using the AR long as main weapon, unless they're stupid. It should be relatively easy to realize you get destroyed by the BR and other mid-range weapons if you stick to the AR. And so they move to the DMR, if they hear pro's use it. And maybe they'll learn it. Regardless, the end result will be heavily skewed on the DMR's favor, i fear.

i dunno about that. from what i've seen, the halo 4 AR looks much better then the reach version - and people use that all the time. i can see myself definitely looking for an AR as a secondary on tighter maps.

also, dont waste a perk on firepower... primary weapons will be common place within 30 seconds of a match start. just swap out your secondary for one.

Trey

Of course the DMR is better than the BR. It's the best weapon to ever bless the sandbox. It's basically the Halo: CE pistol combined with the sniper rifle, and now in Halo 4 you want to drastically reduce its bloom to barely detectable levels?

Rev3rb

DMR all day. Get at me, BRAP BRAP. THUG LIFE.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

HiiiLife

I'm gonna let nostalgia choose the BR for me. Once I start getting my self esteem destroyed I will try the DMR.

BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON YOU BR.

T_T

Mayyhem

I wish the DMR wasn't better than the BR. personally if one were to be better I'd prefer the BR. but ultimately I wish they were equal

Woorloog

Banned
i dunno about that. from what i've seen, the halo 4 AR looks much better then the reach version - and people use that all the time. i can see myself definitely looking for an AR as a secondary on tighter maps.

also, dont waste a perk on firepower... primary weapons will be common place within 30 seconds of a match start. just swap out your secondary for one.

From what i saw, the AR can kill about at the same range as Reach's AR BUT it kills faster, which is the important thing. So, it is better... but ultimately mid-long range weapons will dominate majority of the map in majority of the maps. And any good player won't use the automatic weapons as MAIN weapon.
It would be a nice secondary but then one needs either Firepower (a perk i won't really use) or Dexterity (faster weapon switching, changing beetween CQB and mid-range weapon without it in a battle is not feasible, it seems) and pick it up from somewhere.

I will try to find a loadout that makes AR primary/main a feasible playstyle though, depending on map of course (won't use this loadout in Ragnarok). Say, Abandon looks like it could be a nice map for a AR-centric game though mid-range weapon will be needed too... Don't suppose the Magnum really works for this.

EDIT uh, left the second half at halfway, not thinking coherrently. Should go to sleep.

Woorloog

Banned
Do remember we get to play with the weapons in campaign, get a feel for them there, if you play the campaign first.
Indeed i will decide my MP main weapon based on the campaign... Once i get a feel, a hang of weapon, i don't think i care about its power, if i can use it correctly, i should theoretically do well.

MrDaravon

After being there in Reach and being an issue with it until they raised it, there better not be a daily XP cap in 4 -_-. If people are hitting it in a few hours of play that's kinda crap, and that's probably not even using double xp. Actually wait, if there is a cap doesn't that fuck over Double XP users? Or does the double xp system not "use" a double xp game if no xp is earned? In either case if true this is pretty stupid. Given that I think the Machinima guys are something like SR-38 I don't think it's just a flat cap pre-launch.

Woorloog

Banned
After being there in Reach and being an issue with it until they raised it, there better not be a daily XP cap in 4 -_-. If people are hitting it in a few hours of play that's kinda crap, and that's probably not even using double xp. Actually wait, if there is a cap doesn't that fuck over Double XP users? Or does the double xp system not "use" a double xp game if no xp is earned?

There is a daily cap AFAIK. It is there to block boosting and exploits. But hopefully it is more lenient than in Reach.

op_ivy

From what i saw, the AR can kill about at the same range as Reach's AR BUT it kills faster, which is the important thing. So, it is better... but ultimately mid-long range weapons will dominate majority of the map in majority of the maps. And any good player won't use the automatic weapons as MAIN weapon.
It would be a nice secondary but then one needs either Firepower (a perk i won't really use) or Dexterity (faster weapon switching, changing beetween CQB and mid-range weapon without it in a battle is not feasible, it seems) and pick it up from somewhere.

I will try to find a loadout that makes AR primary/main a feasible playstyle though, depending on map of course. Say, Abandon looks like it could be a nice map for a AR-centric game though mid-range weapon will be needed too... Don't suppose the Magnum really works for this.

yeah, i consider myself an above average player and i'm not saying i would ever pick the AR as my main, but i think it would make an excellent gun to swap out my secondary for on a number of maps. i'm also a cautious enough player where the extra time to swap to it wouldnt be much of a hindrance. i see someone nearby on my radar and i'm in a close-ish quarters environment? i crouch and switch to my AR and try to get the coming battle to be in my favor. the AR looks to be the best CQC common weapon (ie, not the sword, shotgun, etc).

jeez, this conversation we are having is just making me drool about all the options in designing and testing various loadouts. borrowed from cod or not, this is good stuff IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love the DMR in Reach, and I'm pretty sure I'll love it more in Halo 4.

Edit: Shogun, light rifle is unlocked at SR-22 or something. Gonna take a while.

MrDaravon

There is a daily cap AFAIK. It is there to block boosting and exploits. But hopefully it is more lenient than in Reach.

Well I was easily able to hit it in a few straight hours of on-off play so not very high. If this isn't the daily then the rank cap is until SR-25.

DID THEY LEARN NOTHING FROM REACH?

As an aside though, I actually do want to know how this affects double xp games, does it "waste" them if you hit the cap? And excluding that, if people are hitting the daily cap fairly quickly that's probably only maybe 2 hours of double xp games until the cap is hit. While I can appreciate the irony of causing double xp users to tap out twice as quickly, that's still pretty awful.

I've tried to keep this game on blackout but finally caved in with this thread. Let me say Ghaleon, that you did an amazing job with the OP. Very informative and pretty to boot. I believe you're still on my friends list so I look forward to playing with you :)

Woorloog

Banned
yeah, i consider myself an above average player and i'm not saying i would ever pick the AR as my main, but i think it would make an excellent gun to swap out my secondary for on a number of maps. i'm also a cautious enough player where the extra time to swap to it wouldnt be much of a hindrance. i see someone nearby on my radar and i'm in a close-ish quarters environment? i crouch and switch to my AR and try to get the coming battle to be in my favor. the AR looks to be the best CQC common weapon (ie, not the sword, shotgun, etc).

jeez, this conversation we are having is just making me drool about all the options in designing and testing various loadouts. borrowed from cod or not, this is good stuff IMO.

Some swear by the Storm Rifle. No one suggests the Suppressor...
The AR without Dexterity would have to be used like you suggest, which limits the weapon some... I could crouch, throw a 'nade and headshot the opponent to achieve the same result, slightly riskier but faster if it works. Not much point for the AR now, is there?

I can think a lot of theoretically good loadouts... but ultimately i doubt highly specialized ones are good. Better to greate a generalist loadouts, because Halo's battles require adaptality (one reason Dexterity seems to be a good armor mod).

MrDaravon

i never hit the cap in reach. how much do you guys play?

IIRC at launch in Reach it was 60k, then later they raised it to I think 120k or possibly higher. Before they raised it on a largely full day of play (like a weekend) I would hit it. I don't have a problem with the cap in theory, but based on the 2 or 3 people I'm seeing online who said they've hit it in 4, they're hitting it way faster than you did at launch in Reach which is concerning. 3-4 hours of play should not cap you out, but I also don't know if any of these people had double xp active. If they did then 6-8 hours if fine, but if not that's pretty awful. Me and a bunch of friends are off on Tuesday, so if we pick it up in the morning we're going to hit the cap by lunchtime? That's pretty bad, if true.

op_ivy

Some swear by the Storm Rifle. No one suggests the Suppressor...
The AR without Dexterity would have to be used like you suggest, which limits the weapon some... I could crouch, throw a 'nade and headshot the opponent to achieve the same result, slightly riskier but faster if it works. Not much point for the AR now, is there?

I can think a lot of theoretically good loadouts... but ultimately i doubt highly specialized ones are good. Better to greate a generalist loadouts, because Halo's battles require adaptality (one reason Dexterity seems to be a good armor mod).

my point is my ideal loadout will be different then yours because our playstyles are different. to me, the "nade and headshot" comment speaks volumes to that, because while i could do that, in my hands getting the jump on someone with the halo 4 AR seems so much more consistent for a kill.

again, just excited to experiment. this is so far beyond reach's loadouts. also, no more AR starts vs BR starts arguments!

I'm going BR just because I've grown to enjoy three shot burst weapons. Also, no bloom is nice-- even if the bloom on the DMR seems nearly pointless as a detriment. Just the PTSD I have from Reach makes me dislike the effect.

op_ivy

something about the lightrifle seems really off to me in all the footage i've seen. i'm definitely curious to try it out, but its behind the rest of the rifle pack (dmr/br/carbine)

Top Bottom