• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

That EGM review did some damage:

mOHoB.png

I wouldn't mind if his main complaint wasn't "No iron sights, too many open environments and not enough explosions"

That is Brandon Justice for you. Worse part is he just doesnt get it.

Homeboyd

Just skipped about 25 pages of nothing. So we get skill ranks now but we can only see them via waypoint?
Yes but Frankie said its possible it could be viewable in game if they decide to add it via a patch down the road. No guarantees but it would be awesome. CSR is a nice start though. Very happy.

Played 2 hrs of the multiplayer. At first I was concerned with the announcement of the additions of ordinance drops, load outs etc. (like everyond else) almost sounded to much like COD. After my first game, I was absolutely sold on halo 4 multiplayer. I can see myself playing this for years to come, unlike Reach. Sorry BLOPS 2.

Good to hear. I probably have to get BLOPS 2 regardless, but Halo 4 will be my multiplayer-title of choice for some time to come.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not as bad as the Reach maps, it just gives one team an entire view of the map pretty much :/

Ah, okay. I remember reading someone's impressions (maybe in a review? I'm not sure), and it was mentioned that there's a high up spot near the middle where 1 guy with a DMR basically controlled the entire map. Sad to see your impressions agree.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Metacritic is garbage and it is a shame it has such a hold on the industry.

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with Metacritic, it's simply a compiled "final" score based off of all scores. Does it have flaws? Yeah, but it's not inherently broken.

It's great for what it is.

Yeah, even some company bonuses are based off that freaking score... eh

Sometimes it's more than bonuses.

Whats so bad about it?

Well in 4v4 it is just way, way to open. It also has really bad map control, to the point where you are just getting pinned down in a little bunker getting fired upon from a roof.

I wouldn't say it's a HORRIBLE map (Abandoned is much, much worse) but yeah, it has its issues.

danwarb

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with Metacritic, it's simply a compiled "final" score based off of all scores. Does it have flaws? Yeah, but it's not inherently broken.

And 89 looks pretty good with 56/57 review marked as positive. 1 mixed, from a guy who wanted to play Call of Duty.

GavinGT

Banned

It's a weighted score. So the 70 from EGM probably hurt even more than if it were a lesser known publication.

MrDaravon

Except that they have an internal metric that they don't disclose to change scores from sites that don't fit the 1-100 mold into a metacritic score, and people's jobs and pay can depend on this score instead of the quality of the game or it's sales? I don't have a problem with an aggregator at all, but not the way they do it.

wwm0nkey

Ah, okay. I remember reading someone's impressions (maybe in a review? I'm not sure), and it was mentioned that there's a high up spot near the middle where 1 guy with a DMR basically controlled the entire map. Sad to see your impressions agree.

Its like the only bad map out of 10 so we still have 9 good maps.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Metacritic is garbage and it is a shame it has such a hold on the industry.
I totally agree.
One of our games scored a 73 on Metacritic with just 4 reviews. But we also do are own tracking of reviews: with over 30 reviews we score 82.

Metacritic will hurt you as a developer when you're not going for triple A quality.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Except that they have an internal metric that they don't disclose to change scores from sites that don't fit the 1-100 mold into a metacritic score, and people's jobs and pay can depend on this score instead of the quality of the game or it's sales? I don't have a problem with an aggregator at all, but not the way they do it.

This isn't their fault.

It is inherently broken. A 70 to one reviewer may be "average" and to another may be "bad"

Also some reviewers use star systems, in which an "average" score of 3 stars would translate to a 60 on Metacritic, when the reviewer likely meant it to be closer to 70-80 percent.

And some reviewers don't even use numerical scores at all!

Look at Rotten Tomatoes for an aggregate site that actually provides useful information and encourages you to read the actual review content and not just check the big number.

feel

That EGM review did some damage:

mOHoB.png

I wouldn't mind if his main complaint wasn't "No iron sights, too many open environments and not enough explosions"
Well, 343i employees just got their chances of getting hired by anyone else in the industry destroyed. Noone wants to hire peasants who ship double A quality games.

In other news, EGM to never get an exclusive with a MS published game again.

Aguirre

how many indentations has mc got on his glove armor in this one?

in halo 3, he has 3
AAAACy0GCZUAAAAAAA-ibg.png

in halo 2, he has 5
MasterChiefHalo.jpg

in halo 1, he has NONE

TheOddOne

A website that indexes reviews is totally fine. The problem with Metacritic is the cumulative score undermines much of the reviews. It just promotes the idea of only looking at the score.

A website that indexes reviews is totally fine. The problem with Metacritic is the cumulative score undermines much of the reviews. It just promotes the idea of only looking at the score.

Eventually we're gonna move past using numbers and shit to rate entertainment products, and we're all be better off. Might have to actually read reviews and shit now.

derFeef

Yep, that's what I'm saying. Not only did EGM give it a 70, but their higher 'significance' means they dragged down the Metacritic score even more.

I read this and I am getting all sick. Significance, scores, ugh... Metacritic is the worst, it's flawed and has too much of an impact.

EvB

Are we safe to take our legitimately purchased copies online now?

My Amazon copy arrived whilst I was out!

meppi

Yep, that's what I'm saying. Not only did EGM give it a 70, but their higher 'significance' means they dragged down the Metacritic score even more.

I don't even get why the current one is in any way seen as being significant in any way.
A decade ago I would have agreed, but today?
I find their reviews and opinions to be as significant as IGN.
I'd rather throw some dogshit at a wall and buy the game if it sticks to it, than go and decide to get a game or not depending on their reviews.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I guess that is a problem right now since I don't have people to work with.

Yeah, there's some emergent things right now that depend on population. Also this is a good way to think about your loadouts. Resupply and starting nades are important on a per map and per mode basis. You can tailor stuff to deal with known map hotspots.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only, I repeat only use for Metacritic is getting a general sense of whether a game is good or bad. How good or how bad requires further investigation and mental capacity.

A game that gets all 90s proooooooooobably has enough objective merits to be "good" as determined by aggregated opinions. One with 30s? You can probably guess there are some big shortcomings. Distinguishing between a 70 and a 90? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom