• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In regards to DLC, I don't even really care about dedicated playlists for new maps. I just want to know, once I've paid for new maps, that I will only be matched up with others who have as well. With efficient matchmaking in mind, I get that this can be difficult if a lot of people don't download the DLC, so hopefully that's not the case. :)

It was nice for most people that Reach never made any of the DLC required in any of the main playlists (or at least not while I was still playing it), but the maps I paid for almost never came up in matchmaking, and that was really annoying.

derFeef

As with every Halo game, I will try to dip into the MP a little bit as this seems really fun, I like the loadout system too. But I guess it does not take too long to make me frustrated as always. I am just not good with console shooters.

Yager

Banned
Can you still get banned if you play today?

Got banned friday because of that "random bans" error. Half an hour later I was playing again. I played too many hours yesterady and today without any problems. So, for what I've experienced, you can't get banned. And if for any reasen you do, it'll bed fixed soon (unless you're not playing with a legitimate copy).

Moobabe

Got banned friday because of that "random bans" error. Half an hour later I was playing again. I played too many hours yesterady and today without any problems. So, for what I've experienced, you can't get banned. And if for any reasen you do, it'll bed fixed soon (unless you're not playing with a legitimate copy).

Thanks man - I played the first mission or two offline just in case and it really is wonderful.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I could actually take personal ordnance seriously if they removed Rockets and Snipers from the options, doesn't matter how rare they are. PO could be an excellent way of making players use the full sandbox, but like this its the exact opposite effect.

malfcn

7f5zB.gif

Ready.for.Halo

To that, this game gives is a Halo 2 vibe with casual to competitive fun. I didn't think that could be replicated.

No honeymoon phase either, I have minor gripes still but nothing like Halo 3/Reach issues.

iKPB9kGDRJzUM.gif

Can't fucking wait - that's what I've been wanting to hear.

Fracas

#fuckonami
To that, this game gives is a Halo 2 vibe with casual to competitive fun. I didn't think that could be replicated.

No honeymoon phase either, I have minor gripes still but nothing like Halo 3/Reach issues.

hnnnnnngggggg

Fingers crossed everyone feels like this in a few months.

hnnnnnngggggg

Fingers crossed everyone feels like this in a few months.
I've only played a few matches so far but I do think the core fundamentals are super solid. You don't have anything hindering the basics of encounters like 3's spread projectile BR or Reach's bloom. I'm not sold on Infinity gametypes as of yet, they feel barely removed from Fiesta, but the MP has potential. At the very least on the Slayer side.

Pompadour

Does anyone know if you there's still splitscreen online multiplayer (e.g. two people on one console playing others online) like there was in Halo 3? And could each person on the same console log into their individual Xbox Live Gold gamertags?

GhaleonEB

Just going crazy in the Warthog and then the game kicks us out.

Halo can't handle these skills!

FYI - Halo 4 MP is legit some of the most fun I have had playing Halo in a LONG time 343 you've done a good job.

Stream for those of you that want to watch - http://www.twitch.tv/devinolsen#

It is without any doubt dramatically more fun than Reach. From the instant you pick up the controller; similar to how you knew something had gone awry right away with Reach.

MrBig

Does anyone know if you there's still splitscreen online multiplayer (e.g. two people on one console playing others online) like there was in Halo 3? And could each person on the same console log into their individual Xbox Live Gold gamertags?

Yes, up to 4.

Fuchsdh

I think you hit the nail of the head. AI programmer's time is better spent on enemies rather than on friendlies since the time you spend with friendlies (at least in past games) is so much shorter than the time you spend fighting elites.

I was hopeful that would have changed in Reach, at least, because you were going to be fighting alongside fellow Spartans, but Noble Team was only an incremental step up above normal grunts (and a bit more annoying, what with Emile never switching from his shotgun while riding on the back of my Mongoose, et al.)

I'd really love for the AI to get a decent kick in the pants in a future game. They don't have to be massively better, but just less likely to run you down/drive you off a cliff and more coordinated attacks would do wonders. If a Halo game could make me look forward to Marines as something beyond just a cannon fodder distraction for five seconds, I'd be impressed.

One of the many reasons the Map Pass is included in the LE and as a discounted digital item is to make sure DLC populations are as healthy, predictable and well, populated as possible. This plus some new matchmaking algorithms should mean better matchmade DLC later. The LE is already sold out so we have a practical guarantee about matchmaking population down the line, as it relates to new content. Makes things more predictable.

Will there be an option that we can pick along the lines of "Match me with DLC first", or will it all be handled automatically behind the scenes?

Just going crazy in the Warthog and then the game kicks us out.

Halo can't handle these skills!

FYI - Halo 4 MP is legit some of the most fun I have had playing Halo in a LONG time 343 you've done a good job.

Stream for those of you that want to watch - http://www.twitch.tv/devinolsen#

Tomorrow night cannot come soon enough.

Holy shit, tomorrow night! And Im still short on cash (but I do have enough luckily), and my car is still out of the picture. I'll find a way to get the game though, one way or another. :lol

Realyn

Hmm, watched some more. Got to say the maps are really really good. But the weapon thing and apperantly only DM for 8vs8 sucks sooo much. Loved both those aspects.

Nutter

It's always optimism and praise before launch. The true test is down the line whether another Armor Lock pops up or not.

Rest easy spartan. There are things that could use a tweak or two. But there isn't anything to the same degree as bloom and/or armor lock.

Ugh this is so soon YET SO FAR. Is there like an official community thread dedicated solely for just people looking to play with other gaffers to swap gamertags? If anyone wants to add me feel free, GT is same as my name here.

TCKaos

So who's working on that Sanc remake?

I trust that we'll have Sanctuary, Lockout and Turf by the end of the day on launch day. Maybe some attempt at Blood Gulch.

Hell, if no one does Blood Gulch I'll give it a shot. Or something vaguely like it.

BLCKATK

Can't believe how hyped I'm getting. Monday night can't come any sooner. Definitely looking forward to playing with some GAF people as well.

Deadlock

In the older games you could get an emblem or something for havnig other Halo games played or registered. Is there anything like that in Halo 4?

One of the many reasons the Map Pass is included in the LE and as a discounted digital item is to make sure DLC populations are as healthy, predictable and well, populated as possible. This plus some new matchmaking algorithms should mean better matchmade DLC later. The LE is already sold out so we have a practical guarantee about matchmaking population down the line, as it relates to new content. Makes things more predictable.
Alright thanks. Once I see it in practice, and hopefully it works well, I'll get the season pass
Know what'd help Reach

dropping it's DLC prices

because seriously
It'll never happen though, the last DLC pack for Halo 3 is still full price.

werwequvt.gif

So who's working on that Sanc remake?

I trust that we'll have Sanctuary, Lockout and Turf by the end of the day on launch day. Maybe some attempt at Blood Gulch.

Hell, if no one does Blood Gulch I'll give it a shot. Or something vaguely like it.

Can someone please make Sanctuary with the proper sightlines from Halo 2?

BearPawB

Banned
Forge maps in reach single handedly destroyed that game's multiplayer. I'm fine with all of Halo 4's other issues as long as it does not have that one.

How so? I never played much reach multiplayer.

Any chance anyone makes a narrows remake? (am I the only one who liked that map)?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
How so? I never played much reach multiplayer.

Any chance anyone makes a narrows remake? (am I the only one who liked that map)?

Some people had a problem where no matter how good a map played, they simply wouldn't like it because it was grey. You know, like those 6 year olds who throw a tantrum because they got given something good but it wasn't the right colour.

Lingitiz

Some people had a problem where no matter how good a map played, they simply wouldn't like it because it was grey. You know, like those 6 year olds who throw a tantrum because they got given something good but it wasn't the right colour.

The forge palette was pretty boring though.

Card Boy

Banned
So how are Grunts in this game to anyone that has it? Do they have funny dialogue like Halo 1 to ODST? Or serious like Halo Reach? Also do Elites speak English or their language?

I am having audio issues with this clip, but here is a picture of what happened the other night in a BTB game.

(click picture for larger image)

That's a warthog in the top of the picture. :lol

This game ... A++

Untracked

Yeah I had this problem.
After spending 50+ hours in Forge World before I'd even started the Campaign, I was sick of the sight of it when I got around to Multiplayer.
Shouldn't be an issue in 4 though.

BearPawB

Banned
So how are Grunts in this game to anyone that has it? Do they have funny dialogue like Halo 1 to ODST? Or serious like Halo Reach? Also do Elites speak English or their language?

ive heard that covenant no longer speak english except maybe one or two words.

Grunts are serious. The Covenant speak no English in this.

Playing in one very repetitive and ugly aesthetic is not an enjoyable proposition.

So, shopto preorderers, we're definitely getting this tomorrow right? Right?

Mine was sent saturday morning first class. First class is normally next day delivery, except they don't deliver on sundays. Theres a very high chance we will be getting it tomorrow, as shopto are very well known for dispatching so people get it one day before release.

The only game they won't be doing it for is black ops 2. As they have been given a strict order by activision that they aren't allowed to.

Mine was sent saturday morning first class. First class is normally next day delivery, except they don't deliver on sundays. Theres a very high chance we will be getting it tomorrow, as shopto are very well known for dispatching so people get it one day before release.

The only game they won't be doing it for is black ops 2. As they have been given a strict order by activision that they aren't allowed to.

I was told they are to be delivered monday. so yep, unfortunatley for me my copy is being delivered to my old address which means yet another 24 hrs! woohoo :l

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Grunts are serious. The Covenant speak no English in this.
Finally. Grunts have always been the Jar Jar Binks of Halo. They're funny, but more obnoxious than anything else. I'm excited for the species of the Covenant to feel more menacing over all.

Top Bottom