• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
No forge maps in matchmaking confirmed

343 redeemed

I think they will make it in eventually, how awesome would it be if they had some kind of data mining to see what forge creations are played most in custom games and what game variants and then put them in matchmaking.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Some people had a problem where no matter how good a map played, they simply wouldn't like it because it was grey. You know, like those 6 year olds who throw a tantrum because they got given something good but it wasn't the right colour.

I was (am) one of those people. The forge palette is so boring and the worst part was that there were multiple maps at launch that were based on the same palette and it continued to grow. So not only was it a very boring color, it was multiple maps of the same boring color. If it was limited to 2/3 maps it would have been much more bearable.

TCKaos

Some people had a problem where no matter how good a map played, they simply wouldn't like it because it was grey. You know, like those 6 year olds who throw a tantrum because they got given something good but it wasn't the right colour.

Well, I mean, would you play Halo if in CE every single game looked like Rat Race? Or if every map in Halo 2 looked like Ascension?

How is the netcode, y'all? Is the game competent at pairing you up with peeps in close proximity? I've no worries, really; there'll be that many people playing this game that 'Australia-itis' won't really matter.

BearPawB

Banned
Jesus christ, what the fuck?

Unrelated, but is there any reason provided as to no Campaign theater? I understand scoring going away...still liked it, but campaign theater?

i believe they cited technical/engine reasons. But there was some quote about them potentially adding it post release. Sounds like due to time they had to cut it.

How is the netcode, y'all? Is the game competent at pairing you up with peeps in close proximity? I've no worries, really; there'll be that many people playing this game that 'Australia-itis' won't really matter.

I want to know if the netcode for campaign and spartan-ops is actually good compared to Reach. It was almost impossible at times to have fun in co-op with the input lag my friends and I would get even on good connections.

Jesus christ, what the fuck?

Unrelated, but is there any reason provided as to no Campaign theater? I understand scoring going away...still liked it, but campaign theater?

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2012/11/01/The-Halo-Bulletin-11112-.aspx

Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this? - unip8

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.

Brannon

Now that people are playing it, a question. Most probably the most important question of all time;

Is it possible to move the "+5 Dickstroke" text from the center of the screen to the side, or turn it off altogether? It should be an option for people who aren't completely enamored with dry begging for e-cred and stuff.

7he Talon

Game comes out in just under 12 hours here. For those who have it (or anyone who knows) how long is the campaign on normal difficulty?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Game comes out in just under 12 hours here. For those who have it (or anyone who knows) how long is the campaign on normal difficulty?
Someone said 8-9 hours in here earlier. Seems pretty standard for a Halo campaign.

REV 09

I was (am) one of those people. The forge palette is so boring and the worst part was that there were multiple maps at launch that were based on the same palette and it continued to grow. So not only was it a very boring color, it was multiple maps of the same boring color. If it was limited to 2/3 maps it would have been much more bearable.
Agreed, forge killed Reach for me. Too many ugly ass forge maps. Such a travesty when the art is so good on the normal maps, and they play just as well too.

These people don't appreciate good humor. Pour one for the Grunts.

pour-one-out.jpg

image.php

darthbob

Just a bit curious here, but for anyone's who's played the campaign sufficiently, would you consider fighting Prometheans to be more fun than fighting Flood?

Flipyap

No, he's right.
You two are the EGMnow of the Halo fandom.

Humor is one of the things that made Halo stand out from the crowd of increasingly dull shooters, and turning the Covenant into generic lizard monsters won't make them "menacing" all of the sudden. They have too much silly baggage - an entire decade of goofy space muppet politics.
Halo is a profoundly silly franchise and any attempt to cover that up will just make it look dumb (and not in the good way).

BATTLEWAGON.

I still can't see the rationale for no campaign scoring but does campaign at least have medals or its own commendations (any kind of tracking, really), or is it just a barebones campaign mode like in CE and Halo 2 ?

Humor is one of the things that made Halo stand out from the crowd of increasingly dull shooters, and turning the Covenant into generic lizard monsters won't make them "menacing" all of the sudden. They have too much silly baggage - an entire decade of goofy space muppet politics.
Halo is a profoundly silly franchise and any attempt to cover that up will just make it look dumb (and not in the good way).

BATTLEWAGON.
You have my BR.

DrBo42

BATTLEWAGON.
Initially the humor was fine. Like anything else, it gets old. Sorry man.

Well, that's a given I suppose.

But I guess my question was more like "how do the Prometheans fill that gap that the Flood left open, in terms of gameplay?"

What gap? Are you talking about some sort of "horror" element or specifically their combat capabilities? Only thing the flood added was using human and covie weapons or adding a 3rd faction to open area encounters. That's it.

S1kkZ

Just a bit curious here, but for anyone's who's played the campaign sufficiently, would you consider fighting Prometheans to be more fun than fighting Flood?

yes, they are much, much more fun to fight than the flood. and the crawlers fill the gap of the small, annoying enemy that can get on your nerves ;)

Yeah, but my Legendary playthrough had me curious as to how the knights actually work. They have shields, I think, but it's not entirely clear. If they do it seems like they take three headshots or so to take down afterwards.

Anyways, other than CE I never had fun against the Flood so it's a no brainer.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Well, I mean, would you play Halo if in CE every single game looked like Rat Race? Or if every map in Halo 2 looked like Ascension?

The way a map plays >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The way a map looks.

I'd prefer Kingdom day in day out than Sword Base or Powerhouse.

Top Bottom