• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Redford

aka Cabbie
I like the sound of the Halo 4 DMR more than the Halo 4 BR. But their usage is very situational. I found myself losing a lot of shootouts on small maps when I used the DMR. But using it against guys with a BR across a long span, you destroy them.

Both are pretty great guns.

BR has a slight squeak that can't be ignored, sounds more like a small machine pistol than a rifle.

Of course tomorrow night, headphones will help me decide if I like it.

Edit: my bad, thought you were talking about their sound literally. ><

I still think BR will be awesome in smaller maps like Haven, Abandon, and especially Adrift. But even Solace has such long sightlines that I think I'll go with the DMR. And then I'll definitely go DMR for the BTB maps.

I still have no idea how the LightRifle will disrupt these plans.

Edit : I'm really excited to chug through the commendations. I think it's awesome that emblems and armor are tied to them.

Yeah, that really piqued my interest. Nice to have a tangible reward, although the onyx matchmaking ones were cool to look at in themselves :lol I also like the ODST style pop-up, very unobtrusive and has the carrot/stick effect.

They're about to do some weapon testing on the machinima stream

ilKhIk28ODvkE.jpg
itvmnXyhRnI0m.jpg

DMR/BR/LR 5hk. LR 4hk when scoped. Magnum 6hk. Bolt Shot takes a whole clip just to drop shields.
Man, they need to integrate some minor destruction into Halo maps.. It would be cool to see the place riddled with damage at the end of a match.. nothing like walls being blown down, just bullet holes, scorch marks, some rubble, etc.

After watching some vids, it looks like the br and the dmr arent balanced at all. It seems like the dmr beats the br in every single situation in the hands of a good player. RIP br 4 shot

Yeah, Im thinking the same thing, and it makes me sad.. Shame they didn't nerf the scope of the DMR or up the BR to 4sk. Guess the MP designers are DMR fans. =(

Havok

That screencap up there makes it look like the BR's recoil is out of control. It's not, normal aiming during combat is enough to make it a total nonfactor without any additional effort.
ah, r/halo
Glad you edited then, I'd hate to see a ban over something like that. The Prima guide seems really well done, I think an MLG guy did a lot of work on it.
There's no cR in Halo 4, just XP. And the only way to earn XP in the main campaign is through daily/weekly challenges, I believe.
Challenges, plus commendations for completing each of the levels on Legendary.

Rev3rb

Man, they need to integrate some minor destruction into Halo maps.. It would be cool to see the place riddled with damage at the end of a match.. nothing like walls being blown down, just bullet holes, scorch marks, some rubble, etc.

Yeah, Im thinking the same thing, and it makes me sad.. Shame they didn't nerf the scope of the DMR or up the BR to 4sk. Guess the MP designers are DMR fans. =(

Kevin Franklin has said no one has been able to master the Carbine, which he thinks has the fastest kill time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
so I was burned pretty bad by NFS and AC3...

This one going to be worth me getting into? I see there's some early reviews/impressions. I've always enjoyed the Halo campaign.

DoomGyver

I haven't played a halo game since Halo 3, and haven't played halo multiplayer since Halo 2. I'm gonna pick this up and give it a twirl.

Everything I've seen so far looks great.

Rev3rb

Can't wait to see the number of people in playlists on launch night. Wonder if the servers will get overloaded and show the incorrect populations

Apparently the GameStop in my town didn't order in enough copies of the limited edition to sustain pre-orders. Guess I'll be going to the midnight release.

Man

I'm going normal edition.

It has an awesome boxart.
Also the limited edition extra material is pretty crappy this time (give or take if you liked the web series).

00350071-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_42cc21d4-5afd-4690-956f-f8ab7712da84_20120516162324_halo4cover.JPG

Can someone list all the main Halo games and the books (and anime/series too)in chronological order pleeease? I'd love to read up in order and refresh my memory.

Where is this being advertised? I've been watching the NFL all day and see nothing but Assassins Creed ads. Seems like NFL games would have been a good choice for Halo ads.

Oozer3993

Can someone list all the main Halo games and the books (and anime/series too)in chronological order pleeease? I'd love to read up in order and refresh my memory.

To the best of my recollection:

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Contact Harvest
Halo Wars (game)
Fall of Reach (has some material from before Contact Harvest)
Halo: Reach (game)
Halo: Combat Evolved (game)/The Flood (book)
First Strike
Halo 2 (game)/Halo 3: ODST (game)
Cole Protocol
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)
Glasslands
Thursday War
Halo 4

Where is this being advertised? I've been watching the NFL all day and see nothing but Assassins Creed ads. Seems like NFL games would have been a good choice for Halo ads.

I saw the live action ad during the Giants/Steelers game and Master Chief was featured during FOX's pregame coverage.

Redford

aka Cabbie
i don't get it. it's not as if it was overpowered in reach. if anything the reach magnum was shit enough as it was.

I'm really not sure what they were thinking, especially in light of the rather OP abilities of the other two sidearms.
Someone's got it out for the pistol at 343 I guess. :p

As nerfed as it was in Reach, it was still the best version of it since CE, and I loved it. Now it sounds and plays bad.

With Pioneer and DoubleXP, how easy will it be to hit the XP cap?

wtf is Pioneer?

I haven't used DoubleXP yet at all, but I know mmmonkey who has been using double xp has hit the xp cap each day fairly easily.

I mean if you have a job and you're just coming home after work to play it, you will not hit the cap. If you spend an entire day playing Halo, you will.

daoster

So I have a question, and I guess this is the topic to best answer...

I've bought my girlfriend the Xbox 360 4GB Kinect version for Halo 4...the OP says that the game requires 8GB to install War Games and Spartan OPs, which I assume are the multiplayer modes...so does this mean with a 4GB Xbox, she's out of luck when it comes to multiplayer?

Also, do you think this game will sell out? I plan on just casually walking into a target or walmart to buy the game, instead of having pre-ordered it.

wtf is Pioneer?

I haven't used DoubleXP yet at all, but I know mmmonkey who has been using double xp has hit the xp cap each day fairly easily.

I mean if you have a job and you're just coming home after work to play it, you will not hit the cap. If you spend an entire day playing Halo, you will.

Pioneer is a specialization.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm really not sure what they were thinking, especially in light of the rather OP abilities of the other two sidearms.
Someone's got it out for the pistol at 343 I guess. :p

As nerfed as it was in Reach, it was still the best version of it since CE, and I loved it. Now it sounds and plays bad.

Disappointing to hear the pistol is underpowered.. That said that is something they could easily change in a patch need be.

mcfrank

I've bought my girlfriend the Xbox 360 4GB Kinect version for Halo 4...the OP says that the game requires 8GB to install War Games and Spartan OPs, which I assume are the multiplayer modes...so does this mean with a 4GB Xbox, she's out of luck when it comes to multiplayer?

Also, do you think this game will sell out? I plan on just casually walking into a target or walmart to buy the game, instead of having pre-ordered it.

You can buy a 16gb USB flash drive for 10-15 bucks and that will work. You just plug it in and format it through the dashboard.

You can use a USB flash drive.

Edit:Beaten

Redford

aka Cabbie
You can buy a 16gb USB flash drive for 10-15 bucks and that will work. You just plug it in and format it through the dashboard.

If the "does not meet recommended performance" message pops up but it still lets you use it, will it work well enough for MP?

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Contact Harvest
Halo Wars (game)
First Strike
Cole Protocol
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)
Glasslands
Thursday War
Halo 4

Awesome thanks!

exYle

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Contact Harvest
Halo Wars (game)
First Strike
Cole Protocol
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)
Glasslands
Thursday War
Halo 4

I saw the live action ad during the Giants/Steelers game and Master Chief was featured during FOX's pregame coverage.

Ghosts of Onyx takes place over a large period of time, but it definitely starts before Halo Reach; probably beginning midway through Fall of Reach. There are Spartan III's on Reach, remember? It does end around where you've placed it though. Approx. the same time as Halo 3.
The Cole Protocol does not keep track of it's year, which makes it difficult/impossible to place it chronologically. The only thing that is for sure is that it takes place during The Human-Covenant war, so after Reach and before 3.

mcfrank

If the "does not meet recommended performance" message pops up but it still lets you use it, will it work well enough for MP?

Yeah I think so. That did not pop up for my halo USB, but it did for MassEffect drive and I never had any problems.

Top Bottom