• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Naked Lunch

Humor is one of the things that made Halo stand out from the crowd of increasingly dull shooters, and turning the Covenant into generic lizard monsters won't make them "menacing" all of the sudden. They have too much silly baggage - an entire decade of goofy space muppet politics.
Halo is a profoundly silly franchise and any attempt to cover that up will just make it look dumb (and not in the good way).

BATTLEWAGON.

Perhaps youve missed what 343 have been doing with the franchise since they took the reigns. The new books, most of Halo Legends, and especially Forward Until Dawn are serious to the core - and all that has been going over very well with the fanbase. That silly humor shit was wack.

One detail that I'm happy has returned for Halo 4 is bullet/explosion decals on the environment. In Halo 1 and 2, you shot a wall, that bullet hole would stick around for a while. Since Halo 3, the ones on 360 had decals that would fade after a few seconds returning the environment to its original sterile state. Halo 4 goes back to the way 1 and 2 handled it, and that's nice.

blamite

One detail that I'm happy has returned for Halo 4 is bullet/explosion decals on the environment. In Halo 1 and 2, you shot a wall, that bullet hole would stick around for a while. Since Halo 3, the ones on 360 had decals that would fade after a few seconds returning the environment to its original sterile state. Halo 4 goes back to the way 1 and 2 handled it, and that's nice.

:O

In both campaign and multiplayer?

Yager

Banned
Soooooo, for those of you who played it. How's the campaign? Any cool memorable moments? Levels you absolutely want to replay? Is it more reminescent of Halo CE's campaign with a cool sense of discovery of the planet or a more "military" campaign like 3 and Reach?

Campaign is awesome, at least for me (I think I've got 1 or 2 missions left). Yes, there are a couple of memorable moments, but they're "different" that in previous games (mostly memorable because of the story and landscapes. Some of the places you visit are truly jaw-dropping). Like I said, I didn't finish the campaign yet but yes, there are levels I want to replay. Regarding the last question, I would say that it's a mix between the original Halo and H3; there are missions focused in exploring the planet, while others are more about action and firefights.

I must say that, in terms of fun, this is the campaign I'm enjoying the most.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
if there's anything I find annoying in MP, is that sometimes you get respawned right in the middle of battle and you get killed before you even move more than 5 ft. grrr..

NBtoaster

Does this game have proper checkpoints unlike previous games? Always hated how random they seemed and how they could screw you over.

wwm0nkey

Any pics?

Here

yXNs6.jpg

I am having audio issues with this clip, but here is a picture of what happened the other night in a BTB game.

(click picture for larger image)

That's a warthog in the top of the picture. :lol

This game ... A++
Amazing. :lol

Finally. Grunts have always been the Jar Jar Binks of Halo. They're funny, but more obnoxious than anything else. I'm excited for the species of the Covenant to feel more menacing over all.
Eh, they may have been too much, but a little humor with em was fine.

Ouch, I guess Ill never get that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You two are the EGMnow of the Halo fandom.

Humor is one of the things that made Halo stand out from the crowd of increasingly dull shooters, and turning the Covenant into generic lizard monsters won't make them "menacing" all of the sudden. They have too much silly baggage - an entire decade of goofy space muppet politics.
Halo is a profoundly silly franchise and any attempt to cover that up will just make it look dumb (and not in the good way).

BATTLEWAGON.

Eh, they may have been too much, but a little humor with em was fine.
Yeah, I'm not saying I need Halo to be 100% Serious Bizness. Humor is cool, and even a little bit of slapstick is cool. And a part of me loves how the Grunts are presented. But it mostly just feels out of place and over over-the-top. When I first started playing Halo, I was really put off by the Grunts, but I eventually grew to like them. Still, they have more eye-roll moments than funny moments. I'm definitely not shedding any tears over their one liners being removed.

They use the English "Forerunner" and Latin "Requiem" in that terminal motion comic. It's the worst thing.
Yeah, that really bugs me, too. Why would orthodox Covenant zealots be speaking human languages?

burgerdog

Anybody else order the game from Newegg? It's my first time preordering a game with them and I'm a bit worried, I don't want to get the game late into the week. I live in Long Beach so there should be a warehouse near me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh bad wording on my part. I am aware the playlist will be in Halo 4 eventually. I just want it ASAP. Lol.
I think Frankie's response to you was a hint that we'll see a SWAT playlist soon. Or sooner than many people think, at least.

wwm0nkey

Is there a 343 commished list or will I have to wait for the game to see what all there is?
Here is an example of just the weapons, there is A LOT more. The [5/7] means how many levels there are to it.

Commendations:

Weapons
-UNSC
Assault Rifle [7]
DMR [7]
Pistol [7]
Sniper Rifle [5]
Shotgun [5]
Battle Rifle [7]
Railgun [5]
Sticky Detonator [5]
Rocket Launcher [5]
Spartan Laser [5]
Frag Grenade [5]
SAW [5]

-Covenant
Energy Sword [5]
Needler [5]
Storm Rifle [7]
Covenant Carbine [7]
Plasma Pistol [7]
Plasma Grenade [5]
Gravity Hammer [5]
Fuel Rod Cannon [5]
Beam Rifle [5]
Concussion Rifle [5]

-Forerunner
Light Rifle [7]
Suppressor [7]
Scattershot [5]
Boltshot [7]
Binary Rifle [5]
Incineration Cannon [5]
Pulse Grenade [5]

Mounted Turret [5]

MrBig

Looks like you can restrict JiP to invite/friends/open so that not just anyone can look at your profile and randomly join you if you choose.

After watching some vids, it looks like the br and the dmr arent balanced at all. It seems like the dmr beats the br in every single situation in the hands of a good player. RIP br 4 shot

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still think BR will be awesome in smaller maps like Haven, Abandon, and especially Adrift. But even Solace has such long sightlines that I think I'll go with the DMR. And then I'll definitely go DMR for the BTB maps.

I still have no idea how the LightRifle will disrupt these plans.

Edit : I'm really excited to chug through the commendations. I think it's awesome that emblems and armor are tied to them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
After watching some vids, it looks like the br and the dmr arent balanced at all. It seems like the dmr beats the br in every single situation in the hands of a good player. RIP br 4 shot

BR is easier to use and more fun to shoot. DMR is better if you are really good with it. For most people they will be on almost equal footing at mid range, and the BR will be better at close range.

Havok

Just managed to go 41-7-5 without any problems using the tank on exile. The Scorpion is still totally unfit for matchmaking, this truly is a Halo game.

RE: BR v. DMR - don't sleep on the BR, it'll surprise you. Sweep headshots are still a threat. Having said that, melting people in five DMR shots feels fantastic.

album of topdown maps of mp maps
Where did you find these? They look like they might be scans of the Prima guide, which is probably frowned upon around here.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
BR is easier to use and more fun to shoot.
Are you talking about the Halo 4 BR versus the Halo 4 DMR? Cause I think the Reach DMR is way more fun than using the Halo 3 BR. That H3 BR spread makes the gun feel so weak.

jediyoshi

Just managed to go 41-7-5 without any problems using the tank on exile. The Scorpion is still totally unfit for matchmaking, this truly is a Halo game.

Where did you find these? They look like they might be scans of the Prima guide, which is probably frowned upon around here.

ah, r/halo

Fehyd

Banned
Didn't see it earlier in the thread (hopefully didn't miss it) but do we get any credit in multiplayer for coop campaign play?

I know it doesn't make too much sense since you're effectively playing as MC, but it was fun running coop campaigns in reach and getting CR for it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see it earlier in the thread (hopefully didn't miss it) but do we get any credit in multiplayer for coop campaign play?

I know it doesn't make too much sense since you're effectively playing as MC, but it was fun running coop campaigns in reach and getting CR for it.
There's no cR in Halo 4, just XP. And the only way to earn XP in the main campaign is through daily/weekly challenges, I believe.

GhaleonEB

Are you talking about the Halo 4 BR versus the Halo 4 DMR? Cause I think the Reach DMR is way more fun than using the Halo 3 BR. That H3 BR spread makes the gun feel so weak.

I like the sound of the Halo 4 DMR more than the Halo 4 BR. But their usage is very situational. I found myself losing a lot of shootouts on small maps when I used the DMR. But using it against guys with a BR across a long span, you destroy them.

Both are pretty great guns.

Top Bottom