• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I have no idea if I will even be able to get out to GS tomorrow night or not..

As far as I was told, the only stock problem is with the Limited Edition. There will be a plethora of vanilla copies. Enough for pre-orders, and then some.

Ah ok, thats a bit better...but yeah, that sucks.

h48zjw9.gif

My god, amazing.

Xamdou

So the Halo 4 limited edition is sold out at bestbuy.com. But when I click on the check stores link then under availability it says "in store only" next to one of my local bestbuy stores... Does this mean I can still pre-order it at that location?

exYle

Yep. I'm gonna be out around 12 anyway since I gotta pick my cousin up from work at 11:30.

You're a trooper. I remember earlier this year after the ME3 midnight launch, I went to bed around 5-6, had to wake up at 12:30 to go to a lab and that was death for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My class is at 8 but fuck it ill be there at midnight lol.
Yeah, I went to the midnight release for Halo 2 back in 2004, and for some stupid reason went to school the next day at 8am. I should have just skipped, it was only one class, and I had an A, haha.

Edit : Just drilled a hole two floors of my house to run an ethernet cable from my router to my 360. It was a pain in the ass, but it'll raise my 360's connection a full letter grade according to speedtest.net. Worth it.

Mr.Fresh

You're a trooper. I remember earlier this year after the ME3 midnight launch, I went to bed around 5-6, had to wake up at 12:30 to go to a lab and that was death for me.

I'm used to doing stuff real late and going straight to school / work haha.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah, I went to the midnight release for Halo 2 back in 2004, and for some stupid reason went to school the next day at 8am. I should have just skipped, it was only one class, and I had an A, haha.

Edit : Just drilled a hole two floors of my house to run an ethernet cable from my router to my 360. It was a pain in the ass, but it'll raise my 360's connection a full letter grade according to speedtest.net. Worth it.

Reminds me of when I camped out for the Xbox 360 for like 15 hours. I got it at like 7am and went straight to school.

Kids were like, "Tashi the 360 comes out today, you gonna get it?"

"lol I already got it bro"

Mr.Fresh

I can't even skip ;( all my classes are Tuesday Thursday classes and I have a shitty group project to do in class.

Spy

I realize this isn't Counterstrike but I would have loved to see a plant the bomb type mode with 1 life.

Sai-kun

Banned
Chief, Smash! achievement is impossible on Legendary confirm/deny

mission 8 spoilers

holy heck crawlers are tougher than i give them credit for. you'd think a solid whack with a hammer would do them in though :( i might have to just run this one again on normal or something for it

zap

Reminds me of when I camped out for the Xbox 360 for like 15 hours. I got it at like 7am and went straight to school.

My friend did that, I went straight over to his house after school and we played Kameo all evening haha.

Haha this is classic! That had to feel good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Hah, that is awesome.

I can't even skip ;( all my classes are Tuesday Thursday classes and I have a shirty group project to do in class.
That is not awesome. :-(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Chief, Smash! achievement is impossible on Legendary confirm/deny

mission 8 spoilers

holy heck crawlers are tougher than i give them credit for. you'd think a solid whack with a hammer would do them in though :( i might have to just run this one again on normal or something for it

that part was a bitch on heroic :/ especially the runway... I assume they don't stop spawning?

I found it after waiting around for awhile. MIssion 7 spoilers:
I killed off a couple more Covies, and then another group dropped, and THEN Cortana actually threw a waypoint over it. It was kinda weird.

Yep, the dialogue was a little confusing without it.

Where's jesse? Jesse!

It took me about 30 deaths the phantoms eventually DO stop coming. That part was the most confusing and difficult part in the game bar none- first for clarity, second because it was just a ridiculous amount of enemies

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They take like two seconds to perform, and you can still take damage while performing them. A lot of people find them unnecessary and annoying. I enjoy them sometimes, but I usually try to do a normal back smack.

Yeah I went to school too. Not by choice, rather since I slept over at a friend's house, his mom's condition for us was that we have to go to school if we wanted to get the game at midnight.

We also had to be in bed by 1:00 am so we barely were able to play the first level once we got set up and everything. It was still a really great launch though.

They take like two seconds to perform, and you can still take damage while performing them. A lot of people find them unnecessary and annoying. I enjoy them sometimes, but I usually try to do a normal back smack.

Ha. I know. There's always a time and a place for an execution; I was more just highlighting how fawesome they are.

feel

I was hoping 343i would implement quick backsmack specific melee animations in first person, like a quick stab with the knife or something, would look really badass while linking multiple kills. These awkward third person animations that take away control for 3 seconds are bleh. Can't take them seriously with the unrealistic reaction of the Spartan that stops dead on his tracks stunned with just a light shoulder tap. The new tackle ones look decent though.

TheOddOne

Been away since Friday, have I missed anything?
Two bits of decent news:

Halo 4 Competitive Skill Rank Announcement
We are pleased to announce, just days away from the worldwide Halo 4 launch and the first MLG Halo 4 tournament in Dallas, the Competitive Skill Rank system in Halo 4. The CSR will appear post-launch in an update to Halo Waypoint and associated Smartglass applications.

The short version is CSR will launch early next year when it’s ready. We have an extensive post-launch plan for Halo 4, including DLC, playlist updates, and title updates. As soon as we have a confirmed launch date for the Waypoint update that includes CSR, we’ll make an announcement. Set your expectations for release timing appropriately since this will require delicate tuning, testing and implementation for Waypoint Web, Waypoint Console and Smartglass integration and is a feature designed specifically for the competitive community.
Bulletin:
Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this?

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.

Clan support was a feature that got many players into the competitive spirit of Halo Multiplayer in a challenging-yet-rewarding way. Why has this feature died, or rather been missing in action, since Halo 2? Was it ever considered for implementation in Halo 4, and what was the deciding factor in it not being included?

As we mentioned before, we plan to continue consistent and meaningful sustainment updates to improve and enhance player experience. Social constructs are something we too have missed since Halo 2, and we're looking at interesting ways to improve those experiences in the not-too-distant future. I will be using that expression a lot. Get used to it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awesome. I ordered 120Mb internet the other day. got my new modem, totally ready for halo goodness. now my modems fucked and I get 0.01Mb internet. The fucking cable provider has no idea what's up and tech is coming on wednesday to troubleshoot.

How do I play halo with a .01Mb internet connection internet?! FUUUUCK.

at least I have a legit reason to take wednesday off while I wait for the tech to arrive and play campaign all morning.

Just got done with the campaign (for once mail arrived a day early instead of a week late).

Had one moment where the game's fps plummeted to single digits, though I imagine that was due to
the enemy Wraith tank that decided to wander under the Mammoth and get stuck there. Silly Covenant fanatics...

And in case you read this Stinkles,
that's one hell of a first step. It almost feels like I've just finished playing a full trilogy. Amazing game, amazing developers.

<- My face was stuck like that the entire time
until the end :(

Top Bottom