• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
t1381021200z1.png

HaloGAF Customs

Oh, you mean the site that's banned here because it's almost always innaccurate?

I posted it's banned from linking mate, I get it GAF doesn't like it. However align any Halo games with official numbers from MS, Bungie or 343i and it's within a +/- 5-10% variance.

Take it how you will but in a +/- 3-6 months range Halo 4 has/will surpass Halo 2 in game sales. I'm not for or against it just thought it worth posting for discussion is all.

In fact over the next 6 months and holiday season it may very well surpass Reach as well. I doubt it will "reach" Halo 3 sales though.

Also from Waypoint news a little while back:

meetjulmdama.png

julmdama_660.png

Fuchsdh

I posted it's banned from linking mate, I get it GAF doesn't like it. However align any Halo games with official numbers from MS, Bungie or 343i and it's within a +/- 5-10% variance.

Take it how you will but in a +/- 3-6 months range Halo 4 has/will surpass Halo 2 in game sales. I'm not for or against it just thought it worth posting for discussion is all.

In fact over the next 6 months and holiday season it may very well surpass Reach as well. I doubt it will "reach" Halo 3 sales though.

Also from Waypoint news a little while back:

meetjulmdama.png

julmdama_660.png

It aligns with the official sources because they change it to match official sources. They're dead wrong half the time and they never actually make any record when they change it.

Anyone seen this Ford advert on XBL with Steve Downes and the Halo truck? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WDepRU9X8

I would be interested to see the ratio of consoles sold to games sold in each case.

I've no idea what sources to quote for accuracy but here's a non VG Chartz link from Statistic Brain. Looks close enough for a rough comparison.

vhWTnQe.gif

Taking with a grain of salt but it seems roughly double across the board with the exception of the number of purchased games being close to quadruple. So essentially the take away is double the number of consoles sold and almost quadruple the number of competing games on 360.

Fast forwarding one would guesstimate Halo 4 to sell about 1/3 to 2/3 more than Halo 2 by end of life. Of course Halo 2 spanned two consoles, OG & 360 plus I wonder how many on OG were live enabled with multiplayer back then?

Note, I loved Halo 2 but the cheating and host dominance can go fuck itself hence why I prefer Reach or 4 to 2 or 3. Pure fairness online is the reason, I anticipate dedis with Halo X1 to be my go to game for this reason alone.

Booshka

I would rather play against some cheating douchebags with a full auto BR and constantly superjumping in a full red bar lagfest on Halo 2 than play a game of Halo 4 on LAN.

Congrats on the sales though.

I would rather play against some cheating douchebags with a full auto BR and constantly superjumping in a full red bar lagfest on Halo 2 than play a game of Halo 4 on LAN.

Hyperbole at its best.

Halo 2:
We all remember the Halo 2 mods online where you'd repeatedly mid air spawn into insta-death auto-aim sniper/BR-1SK from anywhere with line of sight. I'm sure you'd hang around for those matches mate /sarcasm. Funny you wouldn't even get to fire your weapon or move off spawn with all those settings you love :) Seems legit, please continue with the hyperbole though.

Halo 3:
Host cheating which was seen in matchmaking with backing out and rejoining and the player boxes slow to fill, long wait times etc. Then once in a game proceed with host booting, host advantage, bullet refunds and even mods too. So standby and throttling were also possible too. Beyond this look at international players and the effects on their game quality or fairness with any settings/mechanics. Oh the fun this was back in 3.

So say you get your settings and all this is still present you'd still want to play that? Oh you're most likely playing from the USA so you could give 2 shits about the international effects of all this. Whether you like the actual mechanics or movement or weapons etc is moot Reach and 4 are light years in front of 3 and 2 online. Don't even get me started on rank meaning something online.

As much as I'd like to disagree, Halo 4 split screen is pretty bad with just two players, so I can't even imagine four on a screen like in a full LAN scenario.

Fuchsdh

Pretty much, but for the casual goofing-around-with-friends crowd, I can't say I blame them for not sticking with 4 having seen how poorly optimized split screen is.
Well, I'm not going to fault 343 for not being able to get good graphics out of an 8 year old console and then double the output satisfactorily in all cases. The flip side of course is that if expect them to put more work into the next-gen console because hardware should not be an issue.

Booshka

With the proliferation of wide-screen, how will split-screen ever be fun/fair/look good again?

2 player Split Screen on Halo CE was the best way to play it because of the fact that it was widescreen.
Look at the glorious Field of View in 2 player Split screen compared to Full screen(Excuse the Jaggies)
0OzJV.jpg

4 player splitscreen was never that great, but you can always just put black bars on the side of the screen like Halo 3 did for split screen.

Fuchsdh

I'm thinking the TV manufacturers glasses trick so you only see alternating frames of your solo full screen game is the answer here. It's great to be able to use full screen and two players on one TV.

Comedy gold mate.

That would be a cool trick, but it's not going to happen for a triple-A game. That essentially means you'd be outputting twice the frames at full resolution. I don't think Halo is going to perform well at 120fps.

That would be a cool trick, but it's not going to happen for a triple-A game. That essentially means you'd be outputting twice the frames at full resolution. I don't think Halo is going to perform well at 120fps.

Nothing wrong with dropping to 30fps if you're playing pseudo-magic-splitscreen? Is there?

I'd rather take the full screen for two players on one TV @ 30fps than splitscreen each at 60fps. The field of view, the screen cheating. aiming and level of details are all better full screen.

Fuchsdh

Nothing wrong with dropping to 30fps if you're playing pseudo-magic-splitscreen? Is there?

I'd rather take the full screen for two players on one TV @ 30fps than splitscreen each at 60fps. The field of view, the screen cheating. aiming and level of details are all better full screen.

30fps is fine, but I think from a gameplay perspective, going from 60fps to 30fps is going to be really jarring and feel a lot worse than it actually is.

Booshka

lol, scroll up dude.

lol, scroll up dude.

My issue was the aiming became different in splitscreen due to the depth of field from the field of view change. You can even see it in your screens shots. Look at the opposing angles of the walkways, they're quite different and I disliked that change personally. So all your spatial reasoning and aiming felt different to solo full screen.

The field of view is welcome, I agree with that portion.

With the full screen alternating you get all the benefits and only one disadvantage, a drop to 30fps. I know what I vote for.

Booshka

It's worth getting used to the slight difference in aiming for the massive benefit of more spatial awareness due to the FoV. I prefer aiming in split-screen, Halo CE has a bit more of a warm-up time than most shooters in my estimation, once you get through a couple games your aim is a lot better.

Also, dont forget to Ogre Twitch a little bit at the start of every game, it actually matters in Halo CE.

Also, dont forget to Ogre Twitch a little bit at the start of every game, it actually matters in Halo CE.

I still find myself doing this in Halo 4, when my aim goes off or I'm warming up. I was doing similar in CE or 2 even before I watched Ogre all those years ago.

2 player Split Screen on Halo CE was the best way to play it because of the fact that it was widescreen.
Look at the glorious Field of View in 2 player Split screen compared to Full screen(Excuse the Jaggies)
0OzJV.jpg

4 player splitscreen was never that great, but you can always just put black bars on the side of the screen like Halo 3 did for split screen.

I'm so wet right now.

It's worth getting used to the slight difference in aiming for the massive benefit of more spatial awareness due to the FoV. I prefer aiming in split-screen, Halo CE has a bit more of a warm-up time than most shooters in my estimation, once you get through a couple games your aim is a lot better.

pfft, OGRES.. PFFFFFFFFFFT StK was alright. DAMN I miss that gameeee..... Nostalgic picture time:

MonGo and I were such a disgusting team in that game man, public-perceived ego aside. I have tons of other pics, but idk why I never labeled all of them with names so this is the only one I know for SURE are the OGRES lol - They had to leave for "pizza" PFFFFFT

-EDIT-

Is it raining?

Pouring. Come get drenched ;]

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can someone else host HaloGAF Customs on Saturday? I'll be super busy with the Ricochet contest so I won't really be available. Let me know and I'll write up a HaloGAF.com article and tweet it out. Thanks!

Can someone else host HaloGAF Customs on Saturday? I'll be super busy with the Ricochet contest so I won't really be available. Let me know and I'll write up a HaloGAF.com article and tweet it out. Thanks!
Too busy volunteering his time to the Ricochet contest to host customs? #HireTashi

I totally would, but I'm bouncing around the state this weekend. Trick ExWife into doing it.

I talked to ExWife, he has zero maps and gametypes downloaded after his account shenanigans, which I completely forgot about. Fushshcehd, there were a couple interesting maps I played with you guys in the HBO customs thingy.

nillapuddin

0OzJV.jpg

Heres the thing though, you are specifically talking about Halo CE, thats not my question

Its split-screen going forward

I played Halo 1-2-3 ss on a 4:3 for ages and never once had an issue, once I moved to 16:9 it became unbearable, I cannot imagine Im the only one.

Halo will now and forever more be made exclusively in widescreen format, I just dont want the screen getting smushed down in the middle anymore, I guess Im bringing it up for no reason, its not something that can be "fixed"

The point is, Halo and Split Screen were synonymous, but now, its such a bad experience, I avoid it like the plague.

Its just one of my "things that make Halo, Halo" things, that all of us have.

Fuchsdh

I talked to ExWife, he has zero maps and gametypes downloaded after his account shenanigans, which I completely forgot about. Fushshcehd, there were a couple interesting maps I played with you guys in the HBO customs thingy.
Ive been downloading and saving a bunch of maps and gametypes from GAF and HBO customs so I should have some stuff to run. If there's things people want to play they should just stick it in their file share.

Top Bottom