• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

daedalius

So the majority of posters in the other thread are never at customs, are they?

I guess the thread split was actually a good thing.

Edit: no wait here too. I guess all the threads are just about halo being dad now.

Fuchsdh

So the majority of posters in the other thread are never at customs, are they?

I guess the thread split was actually a good thing.

Edit: no wait here too. I guess all the threads are just about halo being dad now.
Of all the purposeful misspellings I think "dad" takes the cake.

Whatever! Fun mini games and BR starts await those who can climb out of the salt!

Fuchsdh

A pleasure playing with you all. I apologize for Geryphobia.
You better count yourself lucky there's no Danger Island remake out there.

Obscured

Thanks for letting me jump in, though I'm not a regular. Good games and fun to play with some of you guys, even if free-for-alls are not my forte. Can't wait for some halo 3 next week.

Ghazi

Might as well just give it away at this point.

Hell, I don't even know if I want to rebuy it at this price. I mean, I bought the season pass and everything. it's been so long since I played it that I can't remember my frustration with it and all.

Fuck.

e: I didn't mean to sound so stuck up, I meant in just rebuying the game at all.

All glory to Poseidon, Protector of undersea cables!

But seriously, I can't really see the flag in the first two very well. I would have taken me a while to figure out what happened if it weren't for the titles.

Agreed, I really need to get some editing into my captures, my available time is limited so just direct captures for now.

Most of the issue is the enemy view point and latency in the saved film for their actions. You can see the hog skipping as they're driving away from the base and the flag popping in when it "leaves" the warthog is due to the latency issues. This makes it tough to see what actually happened to the flag and highlights just how much online play is actually an approximation of what is really happening.

EDIT-
Damn I enjoyed this read; Halo4: A Thematic Study

Karl2177

EDIT-
Damn I enjoyed this read; Halo4: A Thematic Study

Kinda overanalyzing here.

I agree with Tawpgun.
article said:
In the final scene of the game, we see John walking down the Infinity’s seemingly endless corridor where it’s clear that each step he takes almost requires a massive effort, his right fist is clenched as if he wants to tear the bulkhead off the wall out of frustration that he has actually failed.

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
I posted it's banned from linking mate, I get it GAF doesn't like it. However align any Halo games with official numbers from MS, Bungie or 343i and it's within a +/- 5-10% variance.

Take it how you will but in a +/- 3-6 months range Halo 4 has/will surpass Halo 2 in game sales. I'm not for or against it just thought it worth posting for discussion is all.

In fact over the next 6 months and holiday season it may very well surpass Reach as well. I doubt it will "reach" Halo 3 sales though.

Also from Waypoint news a little while back:

meetjulmdama.png

julmdama_660.png

Ya it just might outsell Reach. Of course it won't outsell Halo 3 due to the Xbox One not being backwards compatible. I feel that this will grind Halo 4 sales to a halt within the next year. Of course when Halo 5 comes out it will definitely stop. Halo 4 will never outsell Halo 3 just because Halo 3 had way more hype and has been out longer.

FyreWulff

Original Xbox install base: like 25 mil
360 install base: close to hitting 80 mil

Halo 1 and 2 don't have a unit sale chance against 360 titles. People forget that both the GameCube and the Xbox essentially fought for tiny scraps from the PS2 that generation. The PS2 was at 80 million install base when Halo 2 came out.

Fuchsdh

Halo 1 and 2 don't have a unit sale chance against 360 titles. People forget that both the GameCube and the Xbox essentially fought for tiny scraps from the PS2 that generation. The PS2 was at 80 million install base when Halo 2 came out.

The Gamecube and Xbox both did fine. But the PS2 simple was the most successful console of all time so of course everything else is going to look bad in comparison.

Ya it just might outsell Reach. Of course it won't outsell Halo 3 due to the Xbox One not being backwards compatible. I feel that this will grind Halo 4 sales to a halt within the next year. Of course when Halo 5 comes out it will definitely stop. Halo 4 will never outsell Halo 3 just because Halo 3 had way more hype and has been out longer.

I wonder how many GOTY editions and discounted standard retail editions have been sold or will sell for 360 until Halo X1? I too think it's going to outsell Reach. You're spot on about X1 limiting future sales due to backward compatibility though. I've been posting for some time I think MS/343i had a particular strategy with Halo 4, multiplayer retention lifetime and enabling Halo next gen to be another console seller.

To me the global championships combined with all the X1 trailers/marketing really shows the level of importance MS/343i put on Halo for X1. Agreed 4 won't outsell 3. My personal guess is eventually Halo X1 first title release is going to be the new king of sales and multiplayer.

Earlier in this thread I showed although the console units doubled the competing multiplayer titles on 360 quadrupled, close to your numbers. Special mention to trade-ins, second hand purchases and game renting growth as I think that leads to dilution of full game sales. RROD would most likely play a percentage in those sales numbers too. XBL is now approx. 40 million subscribers, I wonder what that figure was back in 2 vs. 3 compared to Reach vs. 4. Also the longest console generation life doesn't hurt Halo 3 sales either.

Yep the PS2 was insanely dominant, MS are masters at chipping away market leaders over time though. Now 360 and PS3 are neck and neck. It is going to be very interesting next gen, I'll be glad to own both (PS4 next year for me though).

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
I do hope that 343i is able to release Halo 4 as a digital download on Xbox One eventually like they had Halo: CE on 360. They could make even more money as people would want to play their favorite games on one console, not multiple.

Thanks!

Thruster Pack is the only AA I consider good. I wouldn't mind if everyone spawned with that in Halo 5.

You know.. if they don't plan on making the strafe better and aim assist more skill-demanding, then they should give everyone Thrusters as part of default movement while also taking away Sprint. That and/or making the animation to go in and recover from Sprint a lot faster.

gAg CruSh3r

Thanks!

Thruster Pack is the only AA I consider good. I wouldn't mind if everyone spawned with that in Halo 5.

You know.. if they don't plan on making the strafe better and aim assist more skill-demanding, then they should give every Thrusters as part of default movement while also taking away Sprint. That and/or making the animation to go in and recover from Sprint a lot faster.

I say keep sprint and remove AA all together (or keep them for customs only). With making aim assist more skillful.

I say keep sprint and remove AA all together (or keep them for customs only). With making aim assist more skillful.

After just one game of Halo 3 I say remove sprint and AA.

I truly think Halo should've progressed down a path of faster movement speed and better default maneuverability around the maps. So additions like the Thrusters could have a place in default Halo settings IMO as it doesn't drastically break map movement, but offers more advanced alternatives.

There is a skill curve to using the Thrusters moreso than the other AA's as it requires more map/combat awareness. The other AA's though can burn in a fire and/or be made into Power-ups like PV (could last for 15 secs as it locks the player into PV mode, disappears on death like everything else). This is more what I envisioned for the natural progression between Halo titles instead of what we got with gameplay unlocks, shotguns in custom loadouts and a myriad of other unnecessary additions.

Top Bottom