• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Goddamn that slrp Ozzy.

Who pays you to write that?

Halo 4 MP lasted 14 days, coincidentally the same length of time as the XBL card that came with it.

Halo 4 is officially dead, 343i is announcing it in their next bulletin.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Please campaign and game sales were a resounding success. Yes launch multiplayer was average, now it's good and the population hasn't returned to the king of FPS of old. Looking forward when I see the continuation of:

• Campaign story e.g. Janus Key, Halsey, Lasky, Rogue John, possible MB, Infinity, lore unification etc
  • CGI scenes e.g. best we've ever seen in Halo IMO
  • Ranked vs. social multi e.g. CSR in game evolution and no guest + quitter reduction in ranked
  • Regional dedicated servers e.g. this alone brings Halo to the forefront of multiplayer
  • Halo TV show e.g. look at FuD success/quality for the budget
  • Books like Silentium
  • Toys like the series 2 figures
  • 60 fps
  • Cloud for interactive maps/large scale matching
  • 343i sustain devotion e.g. despite population drop
  • A new Firefight/SPOPS
  • No more serious hardware limitations e.g. campaign AI or on the rail graphics so now we can go open world more.
  • X1 personal DVR/live streaming and Skype snapchat.
  • Global championships & finals e.g. pros return for quality tournies & money plus where this points next gen Halo tournies
  • Soundtrack remix contest and Vol 1/2 OST e.g. hopefully we get audio mixing levels in campaign next time
  • Community creations like AGL settings, throwdown, community creations like screenshots, YT channels, tattoo tuesday

Fuck me next gen Halo is already shaping up to be a serious contender for the best in the series. Halo dead, I say fuck you 343i are just getting started with next gen Halo. Yes launch Halo 4 had serious issues and in my mind was a second priority behind next gen Halo in terms of development/timeframe/features etc.
JTtyGKw.gif

Gotta disagree with campaign story, a lot of reviewers and players said they has trouble with what was really going on, who the players were. Let's be honest, books to advance the plot is never a good thing when the primary medium is games. I honestly don't think many even care about Didact, Palmer etc.

343 also needs to make sure it's entire story is self contained for the next one. No external apps, sites, second screen etc.

Let people know EXACTLY what happened in Halo 4 and Spartan Ops, who Didact was, what Chief and Cortana did. There's a pretty good chance, millions or people never finished Spartan Ops, because many stopped playing the game before second half of season 1 was even out.
Not Enough Time & Resources

Karl2177

Please campaign and game sales were a resounding success. Yes launch multiplayer was average, now it's good and the population hasn't returned to the king of FPS of old. Looking forward when I see the continuation of:

• Campaign story e.g. Janus Key, Halsey, Lasky, Rogue John, possible MB, Infinity, lore unification etc
  • Ranked vs. social multi e.g. CSR in game evolution and no guest + quitter reduction in ranked
  • Regional dedicated servers e.g. this alone brings Halo to the forefront of multiplayer
  • Books like Silentium
  • 60 fps
  • A new Firefight/SPOPS
  • No more serious hardware limitations e.g. campaign AI or on the rail graphics so now we can go open world more.
  • Global championships & finals e.g. pros return for quality tournies & money plus where this points next gen Halo tournies
  • Soundtrack remix contest and Vol 1/2 OST e.g. hopefully we get audio mixing levels in campaign next time
  • Community creations like AGL settings, throwdown, community creations like screenshots, YT channels, tattoo tuesday

Fuck me next gen Halo is already shaping up to be a serious contender for the best in the series. Halo dead, I say fuck you 343i are just getting started with next gen Halo. Yes launch Halo 4 had serious issues and in my mind was a second priority behind next gen Halo in terms of development/timeframe/features etc.
I'm bored, and couldn't care less about your response, so here goes.

1. Janus Key, that's the Spartan Ops thing right? It's going to end up being the simple plot device that Bungie was firmly against(a map that shows you to go places). Halsey's character has jumped off the deep end, there's not much too her of substance without destroying what she was. Lasky is still a practical nobody. Rogue John? Who says whether he is going rogue or not? There's been a possible MB since Halo 3. Infinty, aka let's build a giant fucking ship because we can. Lore unification? You literally threw that on there.
  2. CGI scenes. They've only been in 2 Halo games and one was released 4 years after the other. I'd hope they are better looking than Halo Wars. That's still not saying a lot when you have to rely on CGI scenes to get your story across. It could be done in gameplay, see Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Half Life, even CoD.
  3. Ranked vs. Social, when has this ever been stated for Halo 5? I don't even know what the rest of the point is babbling on about.
  4. Regional dedicated servers for all Xbone games. Don't see why this should make Halo any better than any other game out there.
  5. TV show. Just what the story needed, another medium to put exclusive story into. With what the terminals, books, and FuD did to Halo 4, I don't want a full fledged TV series to steal story that won't be integrated into the game. Besides, a TV series has nothing to do with the next game.
  6. More books that put exclusive story outside the game. Just what we needed.
  7. Toys... Really?
  8. This is actually a good point. It's good to improve upon this.
  9. I don't even get at what this means. Interactive maps have been in the series since Halo 2, don't see what Cloud is needed for this. Large scale matching? Halo has stuck with 16 players for a design reason, not necessarily a technical one.
  10. 343i has shown that they will continually update the game, but look at Reach. 343 said they would update it even after Halo 4 came out and it still says that there are less than 3 days until Halo 4 launches.
  11. SpOps wasn't a success from a critical or fan perspective. Even IGN, who hands out 10 ratings like Oprah, gave it a 6. Even if Firefight were to return, there's no evidence of it happening.
  12. The improvement in hardware is good, but are they going to allocate those new resources to AI or are they ging to keep pushing it toward the rendering ability or what? A more open world isn't guaranteed just because there i more RAM or CPU. It's still a large design choice.
  13. I'm not sure if you know what a snapchat is, but whatever. If everyone can stream, who is going to be watching? Also Skype is garbage.
  14. wasn't interested in the Global championships, so I can't comment on the success of it since I never followed it at all.
  15. Wish there would have been more clarity that there would b a vol. 2, since I haven't bought it yet.(Still the only Halo game soundtrack that I don't own) Hopefuly we get audio controls, but history doesn't encourage me.
  16. Time and population have taken their tolls on community creations. There was a larger quantity of content in the Halo 3 days and quite a bit more in the Reach days too. Content has declined since Halo 4. Also Tattoo Tuesday is a joke. Did you even look at the one yesterday? It looked like a magic marker drawing.

Obscured

If I was the type to collect things I would buy both and then have Diadact holding MC in his hand just as MC hold Cortana.

Was just thinking of the opening cinematic and some of the Spartan Ops cinematics. Too bad this tv thing wasn't going previously. Should have introduced characters first and then rolled them into games. Worked pretty well for Laskey. I didn't read the Travis books, do Palmer or any of the others make an appearance there?

I might be on tonight, but probably going to be super late. I did get my mic fixed so I'll be able to hear people other than ExWife in-game.

That guy was amazing in his persistence, like I hadn't made it abundantly clear that I was mirthfully enjoying his tirade instead of raging. I don't think I even cussed a single swear the entire time.

One of my favorite parts is when he goes:

"Yo, I dare y'all -----s to vote for crazy king. Too crazy king."

It's TU Crazy King, as in Title Update :lol

Just throwing it out there: the Energy Sword is just plasma in an electromagnetic field, right? What if as a counter to bumrushing with the sword, an EMP would destabilize it and cause it to blow up in the user's hands?

Maybe not a Plasma Pistol EMP, but they could always give the Pulse Grenade EMP functionality or something.

I always though it would of been a cool idea if a charge plasma pistol shot disabled a jetpack mid flight. Would have been funny in reach watching people fall to their death from a emp'd jetpack.

Fuchsdh

I always though it would of been a cool idea if a charge plasma pistol shot disabled a jetpack mid flight. Would have been funny in reach watching people fall to their death from a emp'd jetpack.

That'd be cool, but I think the best option for the sandbox is just to dial back the plasma pistol, period. Weaken the EMP duration and boost back up its default burst power to Reach levels (why are the Storm Rifle and Plasma Pistol the only Halo 4 weapons that feel much worse than previous entries?)

Obviously not spawning with them would help balance, but I feel like they reduced its utility with the rapid draining instead of simply reducing its utility in some circumstances.

That'd be cool, but I think the best option for the sandbox is just to dial back the plasma pistol, period. Weaken the EMP duration and boost back up its default burst power to Reach levels (why are the Storm Rifle and Plasma Pistol the only Halo 4 weapons that feel much worse than previous entries?)

Obviously not spawning with them would help balance, but I feel like they reduced its utility with the rapid draining instead of simply reducing its utility in some circumstances.

After playing Halo 3 yesterday, I can safely say that they need to overclock the Plasma Pistol power to Reach Beta yields and keep it out of loadouts. There are so many subtle design choices in Halo 4 that ultimately come across as "we let vehicle balance go down the shitter to promote more gunplay." More gunplay is fine and all, but they intentionally muted out everything else to try and let their new weapons shine, which came to bite them in the ass when people figured out things like the Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle exist. It's probably the same reason the vehicle sandbox is so minuscule compared to 3 and Reach.

Fuchsdh

After playing Halo 3 yesterday, I can safely say that they need to overclock the Plasma Pistol power to Reach Beta yields and keep it out of loadouts. There are so many subtle design choices in Halo 4 that ultimately come across as "we let vehicle balance go down the shitter to promote more gunplay." More gunplay is fine and all, but they intentionally muted out everything else to try and let their new weapons shine, which came to bite them in the ass when people figured out things like the Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle exist. It's probably the same reason the vehicle sandbox is so minuscule compared to 3 and Reach.

I definitely agree. As little as I play BTB obviously once you stuck plasma pistols in loadouts it created a myriad set of other issues, most of which 343i tried to ameliorate but fundamentally seem like make-work. Just don't have it in matchmaking loadouts.

In terms of personal opinions, I'd wonder about tweaking the tracking of the overcharge depending on the target--I'd personally like it to be more effective against vehicles and less effective against infantry, so that it reduces the threat of (or bumps the skill necessary to pull off) noob combos but makes sure that infantry players won't get slaughtered on BTB maps if a vehicle comes across them.

TCKaos

yeah, but that's not the issue. Basically people trying to steal my shit and there's a whole process I have to go through. Until then, new account.

This happened to my brother. We're considering just cancelling his account and making him another one.

Just throwing it out there: the Energy Sword is just plasma in an electromagnetic field, right? What if as a counter to bumrushing with the sword, an EMP would destabilize it and cause it to blow up in the user's hands?

Maybe not a Plasma Pistol EMP, but they could always give the Pulse Grenade EMP functionality or something.

I'm pretty sure that one of the early ViDocs or articles for Halo 4 mentioned that Pulse Grenades had EMP functions, which was one of the reasons you could only have one of them. It was a great idea, and it would have been better than the Plasma Pistol being in loadouts.

Its have been like 3 years and I am still waiting MS for my main account be free.

Damn that sucks. Fingers crossed but I'm not too optimistic either.

YourExExWife

YourStepMom

lol - it's XBLYourExWife (same as twitter). It would only let me add so many friends in one day, so add me again if you like.

This happened to my brother. We're considering just cancelling his account and making him another one.

Its fucking sad. PSN their network services are vulnerable and XBL their account services (and probably more. Who knows?) are a joke. I had all that extra security shit set up too. Fucking dumb.

Steam OS for the win, eh?

lol - it's XBLYourExWife (same as twitter). It would only let me add so many friends in one day, so add me again if you like.

Aww shucks, and I was in the first batch on the first day?

I feel so honored.

I'll definitely make the Halo 3 Customs tomorrow. I might be late as I'm thinking of taking my gf out to dinner, but I'll definitely be on at some point.

Possibly on tonight as well. If I can tackle this calculus homework by a decent hour. It's really making me its bitch. Not very fun.

Oh, and Eugn/Mark/whatever your name is, last night was pretty fun. After that last game I ended up at the main Infinity menu and talked for a minute or two complaining about the game/saying bye before I realized you weren't in my party. Decided to just shut off my console and head to bed. Sorry.

Oh, and Eugn/Mark/whatever your name is, last night was pretty fun. After that last game I ended up at the main Infinity menu and talked for a minute or two complaining about the game/saying bye before I realized you weren't in my party. Decided to just shut off my console and head to bed. Sorry.

Aww man! My bad! Yeah, I backed out accidentally (not even sure how, thought you dashboarded at first) and your party was invite only so I awkwardly dashboarded...

But that was pretty fun, I'll be around tonight, too. Hopefully xXXXxUrExw1f3xXXXx or whatever he's called will get on too and bring in the superbad kids with his shiny SR 0

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
We're still looking for people to work on the fan film, Halo: Second Class.

Halo: Second Class is a full CGI fan film, around 5-10 minutes in length. The story revolved around Team Cyan, a group of Class-II Spartan-IIs, as they work together with various UNSC forces to take out a Covenant Supercarrier that has held a human city hostage.

Here are the positions we need filled in along with their requirements:

Concept Artist:
Designing various armor pieces, weapons, vehicles, backdrops, etc.
Knowledge in any of the following programs: Adobe Photoshop (preferred), Adobe Illustrator, GIMP, Paint.net

Organic 3D Modeler:
Modeling various organic pieces such as bodies, faces, etc.
Knowledge in any of the following programs: Maya (preferred), Max, Zbrush, Blender, Mudbox

Hard Surface 3D Modeler:
Modeling various pieces such as weapons, vehicles, armor, ships.
Knowledge in any of the following programs: Maya (preferred), Max, Zbrush, Blender, Mudbox

Animator:
As it says, animation the scenes. Whether its from Warthogs driving to characters talking:
Programs: Maya, Max, any other 3D animation program.

Texture Artist:
Your job will be to unwrap models and work with the concept artist to create the "skins" for the weapons, vehicles, etc.

Please email your portfolio and or link to halosecondclass@outlook.com
The more people working on this project, the sooner it can be completed. While this isn't a paid position, if you work on the project, a Spartan will be named after you.

isual

finally beat legendary halo 4.

Man, that part where you fight 6 knight variations before the final boss was a pain.

220g unlocked. huehuehue

• Books like Silentium
  • 60 fps
  • A new Firefight/SPOPS

For me personally the Halo story has really fallen apart and lost its mystery and intrigue, the Forerunner stuff whilst good, is not quite as interesting as I would have liked it to be (perhaps due to Greg's writing style) and 343/ Karen Traviss have completely changed the personalities of some characters.

I mean outside of Halo 1 which was promising for the potential, the Halo story has always tended to suck in game. Nylund did some awesome work with the books and Halsey journal, but since Nylund is gone and 343 are happy to ignore his stuff I doubt on a story level Halo will ever be worth following.

Multiplayer is what it is, 343 has put in a lot of work here but quite frankly I dont expect them to completely 180 on the design decisions they have made so far. Halo's future does not seem that bright to me.

Top Bottom