• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

I wonder if there will be Halo 4 news at E3, yes Halo 4.

I expect the only Halo 4 news you're going to get around then is the announcement that Halo 4 playlist updates will be ending.

A quick cursory glance of their playlists page reveals they've already hit the point where they have just the "core" playlists 2/3/Reach ended up with right before they were sent into autopilot. The special timed playlists are being made, but they're also easier to do since if something is broken, the playlist is gone soon anyway.

And if you read the bulletins, they always mention gametypes being added later to playlists Halo 4 already has. They never mention any of these special-run playlists coming back.

I miss playing Halo. I have not had a Halo 4 LAN in a long time (3 months ago). I just got my roxio game capture pro ( I know it's not as good as the elgato) to stream with. I might try to set one up soon. So I can try it out!

In the deepest shadows of the gaming community HaloGAF lives. Honestly I don't know what to do with myself with the HaloGAF OT gone. Sad truth but I don't know where to go and who to talk too because I feel so miss placed now.
Me too,At least I have a "home" in warframegaf but nothing like Halogaf, I think it was for the best but still

GG's guys. Some of the people we played...I don't even.

I really missed Halo, Halo 4 too.

You can give me battlefield, assassin creed or a new nextgen game but nothing beats a good Halo match and doing random stuff like a double air assassination or seeing getting betrayed by a rocket.

GG's guys. Some of the people we played...I don't even.
Yeah, we are such big meany jerks for killing them in their base... in Ricochet. Good games, except for the one on Lockout...

I really missed Halo, Halo 4 too.

You can give me battlefield, assassin creed or a new nextgen game but nothing beats a good Halo match and doing random stuff like a double air assassination or seeing getting betrayed by a rocket.
Hola! 11 assassinations on those guys was hilarious.

Yeah, we are such big meany jerks for killing them in their base... in Ricochet. Good games, except for the one on Lockout...

Hola! 11 assassinations on those guys was hilarious.

He only did it because he's a big meany jerk.

That game wouldn't have even been close if it wasn't for your regen...

Fuchsdh

Looking at the matchmaking playlist calendar, they've got everything scheduled until late May of this year... https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2013/10/02/Matchmaking-Playlist-Calendar.aspx

given that the population is fairly low though it's not surprising they consolidated the playlists early, but I think the rotational playlists thing has been working well, and I'm enjoying the gametype additions. Short of grabbing Gabo's gametypes, stamping the 343i seal of approval and throwing them into a playlist I'm not really sure what else to expect or that I feel is missing.*

*Besides the obvious reasons, I wonder if part of the issue with introducing gametypes as sustain is less the time to build and test it, as opposed to if you're making a complicated new mode you have to localize everything within that mode. Sure, 343 might not need as much text as Gabo uses but that's still a lot of strings to make sure read properly in X number of languages, and that's not something you just want a bunch of guys with Google Translate doing.)

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason that there isn't cross platform play between Xbox One and Xbox 360 for games like Call of Duty?

I was wondering because it would be nice if the rumors of H4 Xbox One edition is true that we could play with the millions who already have it for 360.

FyreWulff

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason that there isn't cross platform play between Xbox One and Xbox 360 for games like Call of Duty?

I was wondering because it would be nice if the rumors of H4 Xbox One edition is true that we could play with the millions who already have it for 360.

Networking wise, nothing. Corporate politics would be the reason. Also developer will.

The Defiance game actually had 360/PS3 crossplay working in development, and it was actually demoed as such, but that feature was killed by first party.

So in theory, if there were indeed a straight port of Halo 4 to the One, you could theoretically allow 360 Halo 4 players to play with One Halo 4 players.

As far as E3 goes, I'm ready for whatever they throw at us, whether H4 being ported and multiplayer being redone or just H2A. I just want something Halo..
I had to scroll a ways down my Live activity feed.

12/1/2012

I gave it away to a HaloGAFer in January 2013.
That's a shame. The game improved a lot since then, you might have found some enjoyment in the playlists without loadouts, although from what I remember your issues with H4 were at its core right, flinch etc.?

RIP Heavies

Booties

Banned
I think the BR needs a tighter reticule. Maybe like 80% the size it is now, to be a little better while not zoomed-in and shooting outside medium range.

Networking wise, nothing. Corporate politics would be the reason. Also developer will.

The Defiance game actually had 360/PS3 crossplay working in development, and it was actually demoed as such, but that feature was killed by first party.

So in theory, if there were indeed a straight port of Halo 4 to the One, you could theoretically allow 360 Halo 4 players to play with One Halo 4 players.

I can't remember because I'm old and senile, but couldn't you play Halo 2 across platforms?

TheOddOne

Could the different system architectures play a role?

FyreWulff

I can't remember because I'm old and senile, but couldn't you play Halo 2 across platforms?

Nope. OXbox Live was on separate servers from GFWL/360 Live.

Could the different system architectures play a role?

Not at the game networking level, no. Final Fantasy 11 and 14 are a good example of this: FF11 allowed you to play together with people on PC (x86), 360 (PowerPC), and PS2 (Completely custom Sony shit). 14 allows you to play between PS3 (Cell), PS4 (AMD x86 w/8 cores), and PC (Intel x86 w/4 cores or less). Or Shadowrun 360/PC crossplay.

What would be more likely to make Halo 4 360 and Halo 4 One incompatible would be widely different player counts, different maps and/or different weapons/vehicles. Actual asset or functionality divergence.

TheOddOne

Not at the game networking level, no. Final Fantasy 11 and 14 are a good example of this: FF11 allowed you to play together with people on PC (x86), 360 (PowerPC), and PS2 (Completely custom Sony shit). 14 allows you to play between PS3 (Cell), PS4 (AMD x86 w/8 cores), and PC (Intel x86 w/4 cores or less).

What would be more likely to make Halo 4 360 and Halo 4 One incompatible would be widely different player counts, different maps and/or different weapons/vehicles. Actual asset or functionality divergence.
Thanks for the explanation. Always wondered if that could have potentially played a factor.

DJ Gunner

Nope. OXbox Live was on separate servers from GFWL/360 Live.

Are you suggesting that you couldn't play people on an OGXbox if you were on the 360 on Live or vice versa? Because while OXbox live was still operational, you definitely could. I did frequently. Apologies if I'm misconstruing.

FyreWulff

Are you suggesting that you couldn't play people on an OGXbox if you were on the 360 on Live or vice versa? Because while OXbox live was still operational, you definitely could. I did frequently. Apologies if I'm misconstruing.

When you were playing Halo 2 via your 360, your 360 was simply emulating an Xbox connecting to the original Xbox Live. At the high level, Microsoft only set up GFWL and 360 Live to interoperate for sessions and such. The only thing you could really see across OXbox and 360/GFWL was the rich presence (ie, Playing <Game Name>)

Although I think I might have blended two things together. At a pure technical level, it would have theoretically been possible to have Halo 2 Xbox and Halo 2 PC crossplay if Halo 2 PC had been a straight port. But Microsoft sandboxed OXbox Live away from GFWL, making it too much technical work and too much political will to overcome. Secondly, Halo 2 Xbox wouldn't have known how to connect to Halo 2 PC's dedicated servers, they were on different generations of Havok (hence why there was no superbouncing), and it wouldn't have been able to see Halo 2 PC's text chat nor would you have been able to hear voice chat (incompatible codecs). So they were feature divergent in addition to being on different generations of Live.

All the rumors and hearsay of Halo 4 One say it's a straight port, so... much more likely crossplay would be viable (ignoring the corporate politics aspect)

GhaleonEB

As far as E3 goes, I'm ready for whatever they throw at us, whether H4 being ported and multiplayer being redone or just H2A. I just want something Halo..

That's a shame. The game improved a lot since then, you might have found some enjoyment in the playlists without loadouts, although from what I remember your issues with H4 were at its core right, flinch etc.?

RIP Heavies
Yeah. I followed the updates 343 made for six or seven months after I got rid of the game, hoping that some of my main issues would get addressed; I could always get a cheap/used copy if they were. But they weren't, the DLC perks actually made things worse (or at least, less appealing).

Oh my, HaloGAF lives! I feel kind of stupid assuming that there would be no back up plan. Anyway, what's up guys, what's new with Halo
?

The carbine is nice for confusing people. Whenver I get shot by a player using it I get a little disoriented because of the colors on my screen.

Also, bring all your boring off-topic stuff to HGS, we love it there.

Oh boy, wouldn't I love to, but someone got their tickle off of banning me after 5 posts.

All the rumors and hearsay of Halo 4 One say it's a straight port, so... much more likely crossplay would be viable (ignoring the corporate politics aspect)

I think I'd rather have H4 ported to Xbox One with updated settings/gametypes/weapons/vehicles/sandbox in general, etc. over a straight remake of Halo 2. Setting up Sticky Detonator mines in Headlong as enemies try to arm the bomb could be exciting ;]

Halo 4 can be much closer to Halo 2 granted the proper settings are changed than Halo Reach ever could have been to CE. It could work.
Yeah. I followed the updates 343 made for six or seven months after I got rid of the game, hoping that some of my main issues would get addressed; I could always get a cheap/used copy if they were. But they weren't, the DLC perks actually made things worse (or at least, less appealing).

lol those DLC perks being released after all the community backlash was hilarious to see.. and then the types of perks they were made it even worse! Shocking to see they actually made a Survivor perk to survive vehicle explosions.

Crazy. If I see one perk in the next Halo........

FyreWulff

I think I'd rather have H4 ported to Xbox One with updated settings/gametypes/weapons/vehicles/sandbox in general, etc. over a straight remake of Halo 2. Setting up Sticky Detonator mines in Headlong as enemies try to arm the bomb could be exciting ;]

Halo 4 can be much closer to Halo 2 granted the proper settings are changed than Halo Reach ever could have been to CE. It could work.

In all honesty, that effort would be better expended on giving Halo 5 that functionality. Halo 4 has made it's bed at this point. People have made up their mind if they're going to play it or not now.

I honestly think a Halo 4 One port makes no sense and hope it's not real. Porting it and bolting on a couple of features isn't what 343 needs to be doing with Halo games right now. Any new features should be done as title updates to the existing game.

Nebula

Survivor, as bad as it is, tells me that 343 know that the Plasma Pistol/Plasma Grenade issue was one that needed addressing somehow. Sadly I'd rather be able to keep the vehicle going, not survive an explosion so I can attempt an escape/defense after the vehicle dies.

I wish they weren't scared of messing with the loadout system. It's not like they can mess with the balancing of it because it doesn't really have any.

In all honesty, that effort would be better expended on giving Halo 5 that functionality. Halo 4 has made it's bed at this point. People have made up their mind if they're going to play it or not now.

I honestly think a Halo 4 One port makes no sense and hope it's not real. Porting it and bolting on a couple of features isn't what 343 needs to be doing with Halo games right now. Any new features should be done as title updates to the existing game.
I just figured it might be less problematic than H2A's multiplayer or is that not the case? As far as title updates to the existing game, that would definitely be a waste since no one plays it on the 360 even now that there's no Xbox One Halo.

E3's definitely going to be interesting because whatever Halo releases this year, it will have some decent competition around it. As a gamer it's good to have these "problems" of which game to play. 2014's going to be quite a year.

FyreWulff

I just figured it might be less problematic than H2A's multiplayer or is that not the case? As far as title updates to the existing game, that would definitely be a waste since no one plays it on the 360 even now that there's no Xbox One Halo.

E3's definitely going to be interesting because whatever Halo releases this year, it will have some decent competition around it. As a gamer it's good to have these "problems" of which game to play. 2014's going to be quite a year.

If Halo 4 were to get Halo 2's maps as DLC, they could just patch in the literal weapons this time. That's basically what they did when they added the new weapon skins in the Champions DLC.

Nebula

is this game like CoD

It holds many similarities. Perks modifying your movement, reload speed, grenades carried ect. Sprint is a standard in most gametypes just like CoD. You can create classes as well and the maps are garbage bar one.

I'm pretty salty about Halo 4, might be better waiting for someone less salty to answer.

Mistel

Banned
is this game like CoD
Yes and no. Changes that were made for those fans, in an attempt to in appeal to that audience had negative effects to the core gameplay itself.

Survivor, as bad as it is, tells me that 343 know that the Plasma Pistol/Plasma Grenade issue was one that needed addressing somehow. Sadly I'd rather be able to keep the vehicle going, not survive an explosion so I can attempt an escape/defense after the vehicle dies.

I wish they weren't scared of messing with the loadout system. It's not like they can mess with the balancing of it because it doesn't really have any.
It's a shame that to fix poor balance as respect to the loadout system a worse concept itself was used...

Computer

is this game like CoD

It plays nothing like cod in any way. It does try to copy the menu meta game cod has. It made for a horrific Halo game. Just about putting the nail in the coffin for the series after the Reach backlash. We are hoping the next Halo will regain its throne.

Nebula

It's managed to come scarily close to CoD killtimes and aiming is easy. There's another set of positives/negatives for you. Oh and Automatics have a system in place, similar to CoDs hipfire (starts off more accurate and gets less accurate with sustained fire.)

It's managed to come scarily close to CoD killtimes and aiming is easy.
This again? Damnit Nebula, how many times must I explain this to you so you can stop spreading this ignorance?

A one second difference in kill times may not be a huge deal in the context of the world and real life, but in the context of HALO/video games it's significant. The fastest killing rifle is the Carbine at 1.66 seconds -- that is vastly different than the INSTANT kill times of CoD. Where's the confusion? Do you not trust everyone explaining to you that ~2 secs is a long kill time for a precision rifle and that there's a big difference between instant vs ~1-2 seconds?

;b

It's managed to come scarily close to CoD killtimes and aiming is easy. There's another set of positives/negatives for you. Oh and Automatics have a system in place, similar to CoDs hipfire (starts of more accurate and gets less accurate with sustained fire.)
I don't think it's really that close for most people. 4 might be closer to CoD than Reach but they still play pretty differently even if they share some features. Aiming might not be super hard, but you still have to shoot a player waaaaaaaaay more than in CoD to kill them. Plus there's no real ADS mechanic, zoom is different and limited to certain weapons.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The killtimes are relatively fine, it's the absurd amounts of aim assist that turn me off. Is the beam rifle still easy to no-scope with?

The 1sk Promethean sniper and rocket launcher that shoots like 5 rockets don't help either.

Nebula

This again? Damnit Nebula, how many times must I explain this to you so you can stop spreading this ignorance?

A one second difference in kill times may not be a huge deal in the context of the world and real life, but in the context of HALO/video games it's significant. The fastest killing rifle is the Carbine at 1.66 seconds -- that is vastly different than the INSTANT kill times of CoD. Where's the confusion? Do you not trust everyone explaining to you that ~2 secs is a long kill time for a precision rifle and that there's a big difference between instant vs ~1-2 seconds?

;b

You're ignoring my issue. The kill times combined with the ease of aiming is the problem I have. It doesn't take a skilled player to hit a fantastic average kill time. More players being able to shit on people is absolutely horrid which is why you can only take on one person in most circumstances before you NEED to back off and find cover. You as a player can't do much to alter the battle other than aim better than your opponent. Movement plays little to no part in Halo 4 battles where two players are trying to outgun one another.

I understand that kill times being quick is a good thing, but only if it takes a very skilled player to achieve those fast kills consistently, which Halo 4 doesn't do.

Oh and in CoD, at least I can jump/drop shot to try and throw off my opponents aim. RIP Halo.

You and I are dreaming though as the level of skill required to be a good player in CE will never ever be matched again.

The killtimes are relatively fine, it's the absurd amounts of aim assist that turn me off. Is the beam rifle still easy to no-scope with?

The 1sk Promethean sniper and rocket launcher that shoots like 5 rockets don't help either.
Did you like Halo 2?

Also, I think a OHK Binary Rifle could still be a viable weapon granted they made it a little bit more difficult to land shots. Maybe add something like the Railgun where you have to hold the trigger for a second before it shoots? I just like the dynamic of seeing that red laser and having to dodge it; it creates a fun little meta game IMO.
It doesn't take a skilled player to hit a fantastic average kill time. More players being able to shit on people is absolutely horrid which is why you can only take on one person in most circumstances before you NEED to back off and find cover.

I understand that kill times being quick is a good thing, but only if it takes a very skilled player to achieve those fast kills consistently, which Halo 4 doesn't do.
This has been an issue since Halo 2, but Halo 4 is definitely an improvement over the past 3 games (H2, H3 and Reach).
Oh and in CoD, at least I can jump/drop shot to try and throw off my opponents aim. RIP Halo.
What about AA's + sprint? Those are your options to help with just this thing lol

Nebula

What about AA's + sprint? Those are your options to help with just this thing lol

Sprint isn't something that helps me outgun anyone. It doesn't really aid the battle, it just helps me escape it, if the stopping power effect lets me escape. I can't really use sprint mid fight to throw my opponents aim. Thruster pack is a quick side step, but it rarely throws anyone off, and I can't shoot during it. It disorients the user with the throw into 3rd person.

Didn't the other thread get squashed? What's going on right now?

I dunno dude. I asked up above what it is we are not meant to talk about but that seems to have been glossed over. I don't see how this thread is suddenly different from the old one but there is one... but I don't know what it is.

I dunno dude. I asked up above what it is we are not meant to talk about but that seems to have been glossed over. I don't see how this thread is suddenly different from the old one but there is one... but I don't know what it is.

Halo 4. Talk about Halo 4. Not Titanfall, redheads, or how HaloGAF is ruined/dumb/better-back-in-the-day, etc. Just ...Halo 4 and things that directly relate to Halo 4. Presumably, given the stated reasons why the other thread was closed.

And Nebula, I agree on aiming being easy, but the kill times in Halo 4 are nothing like CoD unless you're playing SWAT for fiesta. You might not be able to dolphin hop or whatever in 4, but you aren't insta-dead very often and generally have time to duck behind map features if you need to, unlike CoD where you can get melted the second you turn a corner.

Halo 4.

Sprint isn't something that helps me outgun anyone. It doesn't really aid the battle, it just helps me escape it, if the stopping power effect lets me escape. I can't really use sprint mid fight to throw my opponents aim. Thruster pack is a quick side step, but it rarely throws anyone off, and I can't shoot during it. It disorients the user with the throw into 3rd person.
If not that then what movement are you talking about that'll help you outgun someone? You mentioned jumping in CoD, but you can jump in Halo too lol. It seems like you'd want a dropshot or to be able to shoot while thrusting, nothing that's existed before Halo 4 anyway.

EDIT:
lol It seems you have "glossed" over Ghaleon's posts in here as well ;]

Fuchsdh

The point is leave the meta crap out and focus on the game.
FUCK i would really rather not wait until E3.

We're going to be waiting the same amount of time for the games to be released anyhow, we will just have less time to agonize over it prolly.

Omni

I thought that the binary rifle beams disappear when someone uses active camo? Or was that fixed...
Was that ever a thing? I actually can't remember

I keep clenching my controller causing me to zoom in during firefights. It only happens in Halo 4... I think I need to switch controller layouts :S

Was that ever a thing? I actually can't remember

I keep clenching my controller causing me to zoom in during firefights. It only happens in Halo 4... I think I need to switch controller layouts :
There's an option for "Clench Protection," but I'm not sure what it actually does. Have you tried switching controllers? I've had some get mushy so there's less resistance on the sticks.

EDIT: Halo News/ non-news thread for those interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774419

Top Bottom