• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

DMR > burst fire anything

I find that the most common shots-to-kill is 5-6 shots with the BR because of spread, so personally I don't find it mandatory to use the BR since I can kill people faster with a DMR 5sk, and it has more range.

DMR used to be my go to weapon before the update, i got used to the BR after it. Maybe I should give the DMR another shot.

DMR used to be my go to weapon before the update, i got used to the BR after it. Maybe I should give the DMR another shot.
Yeah man, it's so lame to have good aiming but your shots don't land because of spread+strafing. Of course you lose the benefit of sweeping for headshots, but I'd much rather the consistency of the DMR.

Coming off 3 years of CE to the 6 years of inconsistent BR between H2/H3 was painful. Hopefully we never return to only BR/AR starts and they let us choose between a pool of balanced weapons to spawn with, similar to Gears.
..or AR/Pistol starts.

Eh, I disagree with FUNKNOWN, BR wins way more often at medium-close range than the DMR. You have to go out aways for it to be a tossup, and even further for the DMR to be flat-out better. You have to be shooting across the entire diameter of a Halo ring for the Light Rifle to be better, for reference. The Carbine is an enigma to me.

Basically, if you're playing Team Slayer, you will almost always want a BR if you want to maximize your killatitude. If you're playing on Big Team or CTF, it depends on the map and how you want to play. My setup is as follows: My first loadout is BR, then I have a vehicle DMR loadout for cars in Big Team and a standard DMR loadout for Big Team when I don't want a vehicle.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
How likely is it if Halo 2 Anniversary comes out its going to be an multiplayer dlc for Halo 4 much like like Halo CE Anniversary was for Reach?

Basically how unlikely is it that 343 or Certain Affinity reworked Halo 2 multiplayer for Xbox One.... I just can't see them not releasing this on the 360. Would much prefer Xbox one vers.

I am expecting Halo 4 Maps incluyed on Halo 2 A or an Halo 4 port to make it work like it was with Reach and CEA. I dont think they would implement a whole new multiplayer for a remake but I will be fantastic..

TheOddOne

It could go either way at this point. Both ways—a straight remake or refitted maps for the H4 sandbox—are expensive. I hope they made the right decision and did a straight remake.

Fuchsdh

I am expecting Halo 4 Maps incluyed on Halo 2 A or an Halo 4 port to make it work like it was with Reach and CEA. I dont think they would implement a whole new multiplayer for a remake but I will be fantastic..

I'm guessing that if they go the H2 maps in Halo 4 engine approach it will work better than it did with Reach, since 343 put a lot of effort into allowing ex post facto changed to gameplay balance and weapon tuning. The only question is how much you'd have to tweak for things like descoping and sprint. I don't think as many people would notice the movement speed, strafe, and jump heights but those appear to be fairly easy in comparison.

If having it like CEA meant we got more maps I'd personally be happy. I imagine doing it that way would give us Forge etc so that's worth tradeoffs for me.

This would still require a X1 version of H4 though...

Yeah, I don't think CEA style would make sense since that would involve porting over Halo 4 while having to keep it backwards compatible with the 360. Plus playing most 4 maps with Halo 2 settings would be like getting punched in the nuts repeatedly. I think it's more likely for the multiplayer to be based on the 4 engine but a separate game as far as we're concerned.

Dub117

So after the title update, is the BR the best weapon in every situation? Or does the DMR still have some value?
Personally I still use the BR, but on bigger maps the DMR users give me trouble. There is a range for it, sure, but I still like the BR better for most situations, especially my style of play.

Woorloog

Banned
Zoomed LightRifle is an excellent weapon, especially on bigger maps, better than the DMR IMO due to higher damage. Un-zoomed it is meh... but adequate for teamshooting and killing weakened enemies.
Can't quite decide between it and the BR as my general weapon (the end result being a pair duplicate loadouts for both weapons, and one extra loadout that ends up being utterly pointless always).

Mistel

Banned
So after the title update, is the BR the best weapon in every situation? Or does the DMR still have some value?
The carbine is very good at close to mid range but lack of the general ammo on maps and it's generally a less popular choice. Its users are few and far between, I've seen about 4 people max using it in a single btb game.

The carbine is very good at close to mid range but lack of the general ammo on maps and it's generally a less popular choice. Its users are few and far between, I've seen about 4 people max using it in a single btb game.

Well that's not fair. Those 4 people probably make up a decent chunk of people playing the game still.

Woorloog

Banned

The Carbine is pointless, it just ain't a real competitor with BR/DMR/LR for any situation, IMO. And this is from a Carbine lover.
(Just like the Storm Rifle and Suppressor are utterly worthless compared to the AR)

Eh, I disagree with FUNKNOWN, BR wins way more often at medium-close range than the DMR. You have to go out aways for it to be a tossup, and even further for the DMR to be flat-out better. You have to be shooting across the entire diameter of a Halo ring for the Light Rifle to be better, for reference. The Carbine is an enigma to me.

Basically, if you're playing Team Slayer, you will almost always want a BR if you want to maximize your killatitude. If you're playing on Big Team or CTF, it depends on the map and how you want to play. My setup is as follows: My first loadout is BR, then I have a vehicle DMR loadout for cars in Big Team and a standard DMR loadout for Big Team when I don't want a vehicle.
I never said the DMR trumps the BR in most situations, I just personally like it more because the BR takes accuracy out of the player's hands (much less than the DMR's bloom). Also, if you miss one or two shots with the BR, chances are you're already dead by a good DMR user.

In my opinion, the BR isn't LEAGUES better than the DMR, so I'd rather have a more consistent, single shot weapon to use all the time despite the BR being the easier/"better" weapon on paper.

Mistel

Banned
The Carbine is pointless, it just ain't a real competitor with BR/DMR/LR for any situation, IMO. And this is from a Carbine lover.
(Just like the Storm Rifle and Suppressor are utterly worthless compared to the AR)
You got me there as another carbine lover it's a shame, I do fine with it but it's as you say not a real competitor. Most battles are BR or DMR really I'd say even the light rifle is pretty useless against the pair.

Woorloog

Banned
You got me there as another carbine lover it's a shame, I do fine with it but it's as you say not a real competitor. Most battles are BR or DMR really I'd say even the light rifle is pretty useless against the pair.

Un-zoomed, yeah, it kind of is (that said, outfighting a BR wielder with unzoomed LR is a wonderful feeling). Zoomed that thing is a beast but you must stay zoomed, can't let an enemy hit you.
Still prefer it to the DMR as it just feels... lame. Note "feels", no that it is. I don't like Reach but its DMR felt so much better, it sounded better and looked better.

Loved the carbine changes after the weapon update but still not strong enough to win against a DMR or BR with the proper perks it can compete and overcome easily but still It feels like a weaker but quicker version of the DMR.

Mistel

Banned
Un-zoomed, yeah, it kind of is (that said, outfighting a BR wielder with unzoomed LR is a wonderful feeling). Zoomed that thing is a beast but you must stay zoomed, can't let an enemy hit you.
Still prefer it to the DMR as it just feels... lame. Note "feels", no that it is. I don't like Reach but its DMR felt so much better, it sounded better and looked better.
It's an interesting concept but the fact that the core mechanics incorporated within 4 work against its long range ability and the BR superiority at close range. Like the carbine it sits on the wayside for other primary weapons.

Totally with you on the sound effects front lots of things just sound terrible, for example the warthog.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot about this thread! I just bought Halo 4 again yesterday and am enjoying it a lot. Need more people in Throwdown.

Halo Reach Dlc: 3: ?, Noble, Defiant.
CEA + Reach: Anniversary Maps Dlc

Just my guess if the pattern fits:

Halo 4 Dlc: 4: Crimson, Majestic, Castle, and Bullseye.
H2A + Halo 4: Anniversary Map Dlc

If it's true then this ain't good.

I never said the DMR trumps the BR in most situations, I just personally like it more because the BR takes accuracy out of the player's hands (much less than the DMR's bloom). Also, if you miss one or two shots with the BR, chances are you're already dead by a good DMR user.

In my opinion, the BR isn't LEAGUES better than the DMR, so I'd rather have a more consistent, single shot weapon to use all the time despite the BR being the easier/"better" weapon on paper.
No, you pretty much said the DMR was better:

DMR > burst fire anything

I find that the most common shots-to-kill is 5-6 shots with the BR because of spread, so personally I don't find it mandatory to use the BR since I can kill people faster with a DMR 5sk, and it has more range.
That I don't think is true against competent players and was what I disagreed with, especially in terms of what Napsta was asking about. For most people, they're going to be better off rolling with a BR most of the time.

Stinkles checks HaloGAF <10% as often as Off-topic confirmed.

Fuchsdh

Perhaps it's not a good idea to start bringing back the irrelevant off-topic stuff that got the last thread locked.

I forgot about this thread! I just bought Halo 4 again yesterday and am enjoying it a lot. Need more people in Throwdown.

Oy, I'm online. GT Fuchsdh if you need someone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps it's not a good idea to start bringing back the irrelevant off-topic stuff that got the last thread locked.

Oy, I'm online. GT Fuchsdh if you need someone.
I'm not on now, but I'll add you.

Fuchsdh

I'm not on now, but I'll add you.

K, think I removed you in a previous indiscriminate "get rid of all these Trueachievement boosters" round.

Coming off playing a lot of Bioshock 2 and Reach Halo 4 feels like I'm ice-skating across the map with little engines attached to my shoes.

I'll be on tomorrow night about 9pm mountain, hopefully earlier... I really want to start playing more regularly on weekends. Kind of got out of the habit the last month or so.

No, you pretty much said the DMR was better:

That I don't think is true against competent players and was what I disagreed with, especially in terms of what Napsta was asking about. For most people, they're going to be better off rolling with a BR most of the time.

Stinkles checks HaloGAF <10% as often as Off-topic confirmed.
Didn't know I had to stamp an "IMO" on it lol. And notice I said I don't think it's "mandatory," and that I personally like it better for the reasons I described. But yeah, I also disagree with the BR winning way more. It mostly depends on the players because the weapons are balanced well enough IMO.

It should also be noted that significantly more people use the BR and those that use the DMR are probably not too good because of this very discussion lol. What player would willingly choose the DMR over all the benefits of a BR? The minority, and the minority of that minority will actually be competent. Translation: BR being heralded as overpowering the DMR is false IMO.

:]

EDIT:
https://onedrive.live.com/#cid=CB17F4AD18B13632&id=CB17F4AD18B13632!119&v=3

Can you guys watch that video? I swear making things public on Skydrive is a bitch

Edit: it's easy I'm just an idiot
hahah nicee

Mistel

Banned
Halo Reach Dlc: 3: ?, Noble, Defiant.
CEA + Reach: Anniversary Maps Dlc

Just my guess if the pattern fits:

Halo 4 Dlc: 4: Crimson, Majestic, Castle, and Bullseye.
H2A + Halo 4: Anniversary Map Dlc

If it's true then this ain't good.
Hopefully they don't use halo 4 as the basis of matchmaking, it will do far more harm than good.
Hey, remember Fistful of Arrows? It was a fan-made comic about what happened to Jun after Halo: Reach.

Stumbled across it again today and really enjoyed the art. It's frustrating to see those poorly drawn Halo: Initiation panels when there's awesome stuff like this out there.

-------
Oh, and Levi recently self-published a new sci-fi comic:

Mayflower

/shill
My favorite part has to be the spec ops elites and the odst's at castle(?) base those where some really well done drawings

I didn't know he made his own comic, I'll have a look later.

Woorloog

Banned
It's an interesting concept but the fact that the core mechanics incorporated within 4 work against its long range ability and the BR superiority at close range. Like the carbine it sits on the wayside for other primary weapons.

Totally with you on the sound effects front lots of things just sound terrible, for example the warthog.

The Carbine sucks because it is underpowered compared to others. If it killed with one shot less and had slightly less spread, or more ROF like its Halo 2 counterpart, it would be okay.

As for sounds in general, i'm generally fine with Halo 4 sounds (thinking back, i've never been quite satisfied with sounds in any single Halo, there's always something wrong or weak or lame). Warthog's all right, my major issue are the plasma weapons. "Toy-like" in previous Halos? Well, how come now they sound like staplers and Forerunner weapons sound like toys (still love the LightRifle AND its sound too).

Mistel

Banned
The Carbine sucks because it is underpowered compared to others. If it killed with one shot less and had slightly less spread, or more ROF like its Halo 2 counterpart, it would be okay.

As for sounds in general, i'm generally fine with Halo 4 sounds (thinking back, i've never been quite satisfied with sounds in any single Halo, there's always something wrong or weak or lame). Warthog's all right, my major issue are the plasma weapons. "Toy-like" in previous Halos? Well, how come now they sound like staplers and Forerunner weapons sound like toys (still love the LightRifle AND its sound too).
A carbine with a low spread, high ROF and a low number of shots to kill would be sublime.

I dislike most of the sounds in 4 they are generally toy like or just not that good. The shotgun is an example where it doesn't sound very suitable for what it is. Maybe the scattershot as well?

Woorloog

Banned
Maybe the scattershot as well?

Very distinctive, i know immediately when someone's wielding it. A good sound IMO, not many weapons have that distinctive sound. And it sounds kinda good too IMO.
The only bad Forerunner sound is the Suppressor, and the Boltshot is a tad weak but i'm not sure how it could be improved.

gAg CruSh3r

I miss playing Halo. I have not had a Halo 4 LAN in a long time (3 months ago). I just got my roxio game capture pro ( I know it's not as good as the elgato) to stream with. I might try to set one up soon. So I can try it out!

In the deepest shadows of the gaming community HaloGAF lives. Honestly I don't know what to do with myself with the HaloGAF OT gone. Sad truth but I don't know where to go and who to talk too because I feel so miss placed now.

Juan

From the last Halo Bulletin :

As the team moves forward (full speed ahead) with new projects (insert absolutely no new info here), we are sometimes required to take a step back and examine everything that we’re supporting in order to ensure that we’re delivering the best experiences possible. On August 1, 2014, we will be discontinuing support for the Halo Waypoint mobile apps (including the ATLAS feature) on Windows Phone, iOS, and Android. It is a difficult decision to end support for any element of the Halo franchise, but doing so allows us to apply the people and resources used on those legacy items to focus on future Halo projects, including of course, Halo for Xbox One. We are grateful to those of you who found the Halo Waypoint mobile app useful – you have helped make our products better.

So what does this mean? On August 1, 2014, the Halo Waypoint mobile apps will no longer be available for download from the respective mobile app marketplaces. The decommissioning of these apps will in no way impact the Halo 4 Stats app, and you’ll also still be able to access your Halo: Reach information, including Game History, Challenges, and Stats, on Halo Waypoint, which is optimized for mobile and tablet devices. If you have the Halo Waypoint app on your device, you can still use it to access your Halo stats, but the ATLAS feature will no longer be supported. Also, if you delete the Halo Waypoint app from your device, you will not be able to re-download it.

On the same date, we’ll also be discontinuing the rendering of custom Halo: Reach Spartan images on http://www.halowaypoint.com. If you played Halo: Reach before the service is decommissioned, your Spartan image will be the last one rendered on Waypoint. If you play Halo: Reach for the first time after the service has been decommissioned, you will see the default Halo: Reach Spartan image.

Well, the Halo Waypoint application wasn't very good in fact, it even was a game on Windows Phone, but I liked its design.

I just hope 343 Industries will create a true application later for Halo Waypoint and won't just make a smartglass experience for Halo Xbox One. Yep, I know halowaypoint.com is responsive and can be read from my phone, but I wish they will create a better experience next time with, I don't know, notifications when I receive a message on their website, when there are new challenges for the game, and even big news like the Halo Bulletin, matchmaking updates, etc...

Fuchsdh

From the last Halo Bulletin :

Well, the Halo Waypoint application wasn't very good in fact, it even was a game on Windows Phone, but I liked its design.

I just hope 343 Industries will create a true application later for Halo Waypoint and won't just make a smartglass experience for Halo Xbox One. Yep, I know halowaypoint.com is responsive and can be read from my phone, but I wish they will create a better experience next time with, I don't know, notifications when I receive a message on their website, when there are new challenges for the game, and even big news like the Halo Bulletin, matchmaking updates, etc...

A lot of people expected Halo 4 to feature stronger Waypoint integration, which obviously never happened. Would be great if they synced up more closely though--I don't open up Waypoint on my Xbox unless it's to enter in codes or whatnot. Putting the web content front and center for people playing the games who might never go to halo waypoint.com seems like a good idea beyond the splash screens they currently use.

Top Bottom