• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Booties

Banned
The carbine is nice for confusing people. Whenver I get shot by a player using it I get a little disoriented because of the colors on my screen.

Also, bring all your boring off-topic stuff to HGS, we love it there.

Mistel

Banned
Very distinctive, i know immediately when someone's wielding it. A good sound IMO, not many weapons have that distinctive sound. And it sounds kinda good too IMO.
It's certainly distinctive but it doesn't really sound powerful it just sounds a bit muted that's all.
In the deepest shadows of the gaming community HaloGAF lives. Honestly I don't know what to do with myself with the HaloGAF OT gone. Sad truth but I don't know where to go and who to talk too because I feel so miss placed now.
I don't know if my ventures into off topic seem to portray me as a one track minded person with regards to how much I talk about certain things...

Homeboyd

Shh mods can't read spoilered text.

This medal madness thing from the bulletin is something I've wanted so see since Halo 3. May hop on to give this a go.

Fuchsdh

Shh mods can't read spoilered text.

This medal madness thing from the bulletin is something I've wanted so see since Halo 3. May hop on to give this a go.

Yeah sounds cool especially based on its round-free structure. Plus I like gametypes that can be competitive but force you out of your normal play style.

Mistel

Banned
Bulletin said:
Medal Madness is a 4 vs. 4 team game type where each side works to collect the most of a requisite medal in a one-minute time period, which we refer to as mini-rounds. The team that collects the most of said medal will win the mini-round and earn a point. The first team to earn seven points (by winning mini-rounds) wins the match. To facilitate the earning of medals, we dynamically shift player traits as the new mini-rounds begin, and there are no breaks in the action (as opposed to actual round-based game types). As a quick example, when the Double Kill medal is the goal, the rules of the game mirror SWAT.
Here are the different medals that are available in Medal Madness in each of our randomly generated mini-rounds:
  • Double Kill
  • Snapshot
  • Assassination
  • Hail Mary
  • Spartan Laser
  • Melee
  • Supercombine
  • Rail Gun
  • Binary Rifle Kill
  • Sword / Hammer Kill
  • Rocket / Fuel Rod Kills
Could be an interesting, the variation between the micro rounds for each medal might produce some fast gameplay. I'll probably try it when it comes out I wonder if it works at the same time as being fun.

If that gears guy is still here cab you talk about the thoughts behind making pvp all Human?

Played 1000 of matches across gears 1-3 yet only played a handful of judgement games.

Locust v cog was central to Multiplayer.

Some shocking design choices went on, removing active reload damage boost, giving everyone a grenade and even changing the control scheme seems unnecessary to me.

Even now I regularly play gears 3 and it still feels solid in comparison.

The campaign was fantastic however, declassified missions really added to the game.

Multiplayer tried too hard to change things up and lost sight of what made gears gears.

If that gears guy is still here cab you talk about the thoughts behind making pvp all Human?

Locust v cog was central to Multiplayer.

Some shocking design choices went on, removing active reload damage boost, giving everyone a grenade and even changing the control scheme seems unnecessary to me.

Even now I regularly play gears 3 and it still feels solid in comparison.

The campaign was fantastic however, declassified missions really added to the game.

Multiplayer tried too hard to change things up and lost sight of what made gears gears.
To bring this back around to topic relevancy, this is what happened to Halo 4 as well. They lost sight or did not grasp what made Halo Halo throughout the development process; it's bizarre why things were changed unnecessarily. I too would like to know why these decisions were made, although some of them have already been discussed albeit not that extensively.

OT: Removing the active reload damage boost was for balance purposes, which many Gears players, especially those whom play competitively, agree with. Changing the default control scheme was unnecessary because it worked fine before. They should have made the transitions (animations of switching weapons) faster over changing up the loadouts/control scheme. The Locusts vs COGs being changed was heresy..

To bring this back around to topic relevancy, this is what happened to Halo 4 as well. They lost sight or did not grasp what made Halo Halo throughout the development process; it's bizarre why things were changed unnecessarily. I too would like to know why these decisions were made, although some of them have already been discussed albeit not that extensively.

OT: Removing the active reload damage boost was for balance purposes, which many Gears players, especially those whom play competitively, agree with. Changing the default control scheme was unnecessary because it worked fine before. They should have made the transitions (animations of switching weapons) faster over changing up the loadouts/control scheme. The Locusts vs COGs being changed was heresy..
There are definitely similarities between halo and gears like you pointed out.

It is a tightrope act taking over a franchise. Trying to balance between making changes and placing your own identity on a franchise while still maintaining the core of a franchise. Not an easy task.

As for gears, the competitive crowd wanted.actives out. Terrible idea. I mean yeah actives were very powerful but in gears 3 by limiting the starting ammo, they culled some of that and tried to counter the pre activing an entire gnasher clip at the start of a round.

Actives were a skill that could be honed to the point of doing it without looking at the bar while reloading.
It was a skill present for the whole franchise and it differentiated the game making encounters more interesting.

It was never some random power boost that empowered a player. More a risk reward system that benefitted skill and it was a terrible idea to remove it.

As for the locust v cog removal being heresy I.completely agree. That was a staple feature of gears and removing only added to judgement losing its gears core identity.

Akai__

I got my Halo 3 50 in Team Slayer the other day. Feels good guys.
Kreygasm.png

It took me only ~ 5 years.

Did you pay 1200 points? Cause that doesn't count...

No, totally legitimate.
Why would I pay for a 50 in Team Slayer, after ~ 5 years :lol

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, Halo 4 players, feel free to add Empyrus. And mention that here or send me a message, i'd prefer to keep my friendlist for GAFers only (never understand why some random people send me friend requests).

Yeah, if anybody wants to add me for Halo 4, it's just Prinz Eugn. Put your NeoGAF username in the message, though since I also tend to ignore messages from people who look random. I'll try to remember to add you, Woorloog, when I get home. EDIT: NVM, just logged and did it from work.

Mistel

Banned
BTW, Halo 4 players, feel free to add Empyrus. And mention that here or send me a message, i'd prefer to keep my friendlist for GAFers only (never understand why some random people send me friend requests).
I've just sent a request to you, I'll do you in a second Prinz.

From the bulletin:

This week, we decided to go with a color intermediate between red and blue.

Finally! I hope this is a sign. =]

--

Also, Medal Madness sounds like a lot of fun! Sadly, my Xbox Live sub ran out and I decided not to renew (gasp!).

Korten

Banned
Hey, I didn't know if this is the right place to ask, but I noticed we have a Elder Scrolls Lore thread and as a big Halo lore nut, I was wondering if we could make a Halo lore thread in which we talk about not only the known lore, but speculation and sort of "book" talks on the latest books and comics. :)

FYC

Banned
Hey, I didn't know if this is the right place to ask, but I noticed we have a Elder Scrolls Lore thread and as a big Halo lore nut, I was wondering if we could make a Halo lore thread in which we talk about not only the known lore, but speculation and sort of "book" talks on the latest books and comics. :)

That'd be great. I think FUBAR is into the books / comics, right? He could make it.

My GT is GONFGC. Feel free to add me.

Lore would be pretty fun, the old HaloGAF thread had lore discussion... among other things. Still need to buy the comics, maybe when I retire.

Purple chief MK V chief? I'd buy it.

That's good mine GMT so it's easy for us to play together unlike exwife and prinz who are GMT-7...

Just get up at (or stay up until) 4am and then get on Live and it'll be easy.

Korten

Banned
That'd be great. I think FUBAR is into the books / comics, right? He could make it.

Cool, I would make it myself but I need like 60 or so more posts before I can make threads.

Lore would be pretty fun, the old HaloGAF thread had lore discussion... among other things. Still need to buy the comics, maybe when I retire.

Yeah... I did see that from time to time, sadly though there wasn't much lore talking and more hating and other things being talked about. The new thread would purely be.

If someone does make it, they should update the main post with upcoming comics and what's out. So like the thread would put Halo: Escalation Volume 3 as the latest Halo comic out and is the main topic of discussion. However you can obviously talk about other bits of lore.

As Eugn mentioned, the locked thread used to be that destination. As I see it, a full understanding of Halo 4's campaign and Spartan Ops necessitates a decent bit of lore knowledge. In that respect, I'd say this thread would be on topic for that discussion. I'd be hesitant in recommending a new Halo thread at just this moment.

While we're on the topic, I guess I could post this here as well: My Mortal Dictata Review. Spoilers, obviously. I'd say this is relevant to Halo 4 because it is the precursor to the entire campaign and SpOps missions. Ignore my lazy editing and weak mic.

Korten

Banned
As Eugn mentioned, the locked thread used to be that destination. As I see it, a full understanding of Halo 4's campaign and Spartan Ops necessitates a decent bit of lore knowledge. In that respect, I'd say this thread would be on topic for that discussion. I'd be hesitant in recommending a new Halo thread at just this moment.

While we're on the topic, I guess I could post this here as well: My Mortal Dictata Review. Spoilers, obviously. I'd say this is relevant to Halo 4 because it is the precursor to the entire campaign and SpOps missions. Ignore my lazy editing and weak mic.

I guess I get that, It's just for me personally, it's nice to have the thread be different so that you don't need to go through gameplay/news discussions to get to the lore discussions. Again, just a personal preference.

Also on your review, I do agree. I liked the book, but the ending and the justifying of the villian because "Halsey" just got really sick really fast. I'm just happy that with Escalation thus far we've only had like... one mention of Halsey? I think. I look forward to the future of Halo, but 343i really needs to make their plans for Halsey clear ASAP. It's getting annoying.

Omni

I still play a lot. Will do!

If anyone else wants to add me my GT is randomrosso93. I play everything, playlist-wise

Karl2177

There is one. It was originally for Halo 4 story discussion, but it evolved after Silentium released.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489582

GhaleonEB

Hi guys.

I think the intent with the HaloGAF thread lock was clear, but this is the Halo 4 thread. So long as everything remains on topic (that would be Halo 4) and civil, that's fine. If everyone piles in here and turns it into the HaloGAF thread with another name, complete with the same problems, it'll meet the same fate.

I should note so far, so good on that front. :)

GhaleonEB

I wonder if there will be Halo 4 news at E3, yes Halo 4.

Probably not. Everything about Microsoft's PR around the next Halo - right down to the public working title of "Halo for Xbox One" - seems designed to associate Halo and that platform as firmly as possible. I think at this point they know the community/player base just isn't there for any real investments in Halo 4 to pay off.

Fuchsdh

That purple things will come back in the next Halo game. I think I ranted about 4's lack of purple a while back. Still want it.

Human, Forerunner, and Covenant palettes for next-gen Forge...
A man can hope

So I took a look at my phone and realized I did still have Halo Waypoint installed on my phone. Hadn't looked at it in probably years at this point. Maybe launching Halo Waypoint will be more useful for next-gen Halo with Xbox's snap features, but I dunno what I would have wanted it to do for Halo 4 that prolly wouldn't be better served in the game proper.

No time to host customs this weekend, bookwork is the name of the game, but I definitely will be on Monday to jump into Medal Madness with whoever's about.

Top Bottom