• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Mistel

Banned
Well, since victory is worthless, personal victory (ie being the top player) is good enough.
How i'd like to get a good skill matching back in future Halos, with guests getting persistently ranked too as to avoid it skewing the MM too much.
Pretty sure Halo 4's skill matching is non-existent or too loose, just like Reach.
(Note i don't actually care for ranked matchmaking, i just want strict skill matching to get better matches)
Personal victories are enjoyable, I had one match where I just got super combine kills that was fun as I just kept getting them as ordinance so I might as well use them. I do sometimes have a bit of fun in a banshee like when I was playing with nebula.

Hi wahrer :).

85d6yn8.gif

Welcome back.

Are you going to play with the rest of us tonight?

TS has no personal ordnance. I can't remember off the top of my head if it allows personal loadouts or you have to pick a primary weapon loadout they've set.

Legendary Slayer is no ordnance, set loadouts.
Team Slayer allows you to use your loadouts, but there is zero ordnance and friendly fire is enabled. Legendary is no loadouts, no ordnance, and friendly fire enabled.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down to play tonight, but I have to leave by 8pm Pacific. Tweet at me if you all get a group going.

I probably won't be on Halo tonight. A buddy of mine who I haven't been able to play with in a long time wants to play Call of Duty 4 tonight so I might opt for that instead.

I figured since I saved everybody's asses in CTF about nine times last night I can take one night off
KuGsj.gif

/sarcasm

So I'm watching Halo Legends right now and the Origins stuff reminded me that

1) Halo 4 + terminals + Forerunner books took the origins of the Flood/Forerunner and their war in quite a different direction than what Bungie and even early 343 intended as evidenced by these videos. Nothing absolutely essential/major but still.

2) The fact that Halo 4 only passively mentions the Flood in the terminals is just an odd decision to me. The Flood was otherwise completely ignored for the entire game. Every other mainline Halo game featured large portions of player vs Flood stuff. A large chunk of the expanded universe stuff involves the Flood. But Halo 4 has...nothing.

When you look at how much 343 has focused on the Flood with the Forerunner trilogy some of the story decisions of Halo 4 really puzzles me.

So I'm watching Halo Legends right now and the Origins stuff reminded me that

1) Halo 4 + terminals + Forerunner books took the origins of the Flood/Forerunner and their war in quite a different direction than what Bungie and even early 343 intended as evidenced by these videos. Nothing absolutely essential/major but still.

2) The fact that Halo 4 only passively mentions the Flood in the terminals is just an odd decision to me. The Flood was otherwise completely ignored for the entire game. Every other mainline Halo game featured large portions of player vs Flood stuff. A large chunk of the expanded universe stuff involves the Flood. But Halo 4 has...nothing.

When you look at how much 343 has focused on the Flood with the Forerunner trilogy some of the story decisions of Halo 4 really puzzles me.

1) Yep you can see a great difference between bungie ideas for futures games taking a soft base from previous games and 343i idea of taking a new view of the future with no bases of previous games but theirs new universe ideas.

2) welp, Requiem was actually Didact's HQ and according to the novels, the forerunners were really dependable of the Dominion network which was destroyed by the Halos.

So yeah, it sucks it wasnt explained ingame because the planet was really a wasted opportunity to explore other areas via DLC and uncover more hidden lore (or enemies) in the process.

Mistel

Banned
I can't think of the logic behind ordinance at all. If it was designed with the intention to give all players a chance to access the whole sandbox why not have different weapons placed on the map. It just seems like a one sided arms race implemented just because they could without thought to the issues it would cause.

Welcome back Wahrer

Oh phil said their main focus right now is MP.
This doesn't sound like they're hinting at H2A.
More like Halo 5. Since 4 MP flopped.

Halo 2's strong suit was the MP...
Yeah I know. But what's more important? Halo 2 MP remake or Halo 5 MP? I'm not worried about H2A if they didn't change it's MP. But they should be focusing on the next big thing since they did say they've learned their mistakes and etc. didn't sound like "Trust Us" but at least they admitted it.
A decent multiplayer is hopefully worth the wait for it...
Here's the link: http://www.totalxbox.com/72399/multiplayer-currently-a-big-focus-for-halo-on-xbox-one/

willow ve

Do people still think that H2A will have full multiplayer? Won't it be the same as CEA where the multiplayer is just a new set of maps and an updated playlist tacked onto 4 (or 5)?

Ghazi

Guys, the Halo 4 servers are unavailable right now, plz be dedis, plz be dedis.

Do people still think that H2A will have full multiplayer? Won't it be the same as CEA where the multiplayer is just a new set of maps and an updated playlist tacked onto 4 (or 5)?

I don't think so and I don't understand why people think this. 343 didn't put CEA with MP because it didn't have Xbox Live functionality to begin with and the nostalgia glasses with the CE pistol wouldn't work when your movement and bullets are lagging every second.

H2, on the other hand, had MP and Xbox Live at launch, making it much easier to port and test than designing completely new Xbox Live functionality into the CE and CEA engine. Not to mention they need an MP Halo title for the Xbox One this year.

Mistel

Banned
It's nice to see it being focused on but great progress is hopefully in the right direction not a repeat of reach and 4 multiplayer wise.

I'm not sure really what to expect really, I'd prefer it not being a bolt on to a already disliked and unpopular multiplayer.

Defect

I know I've said it multiple times but as soon as I see sprint in the next Halo, there is no way the game will be good. I felt the same when they showed off the first Halo 4 Vidoc.

Ampoc

Neo Member
I know I've said it multiple times but as soon as I see sprint in the next Halo, there is no way the game will be good. I felt the same when they showed off the first Halo 4 Vidoc.

I feel like sprint wasn't the problem. I didn't even feel like any armour ability was a problem in Halo 4 because they were all pretty much crappy except for Jetpack. The weapons and maps ruined Halo 4 for me. Well, except for Haven of course.

I need sprint after playing too many games with it. I felt like I was a turtle when I was moving when I played Halo 3 just recently.

I feel like sprint wasn't the problem. I didn't even feel like any armour ability was a problem in Halo 4 because they were all pretty much crappy except for Jetpack. The weapons and maps ruined Halo 4 for me. Well, except for Haven of course.

I need sprint after playing too many games with it. I felt like I was a turtle when I was moving when I played Halo 3 just recently.
Ugh.

I also felt Halo 3 player base movement speed was slow. But adding sprint into Halo is just overall bad for MP. Maybe not all gametypes and maps but most of them. Perhaps toggling Sprint from Arena styled games would help?

Mistel

Banned
Sprint should be replaced with improved base movement speed that makes the game faster. Keeping it has knock on effects to how the game is...

Ugh.

I also felt Halo 3 player base movement speed was slow. But adding sprint into Halo is just overall bad for MP. Maybe not all gametypes and maps but most of them. Perhaps toggling Sprint from Arena styled games would help?

More like they need to make maps taking sprint and new aditions in mind, Ragnarok is the best example how a single new weapon (DMR) can break map flow without saying the mantis and the ordinance system thats promote turtling in a normal halo map.

Fuchsdh

So when is escalation 4 out?

March 26.

Sorry I didn't play with you guys last night, HBO is doing a March Madness tourney and was checking out the maps--played a very nice Narrows remake, except in an attempt to replicate more classic settings the runner turned off flag melee damage. :(

daedalius

March 26.

The spartan
traitor
was kind of random, I'm having a hard time figuring out the overall message here. Apparently Chief has already gone missing though.

Going to try and read through all 3 at once again and try and pick up the thread a bit better.

Sad so say the art really ain't doing it for me most of the time though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I can for suresies play tonight. Let's get a group going again.

The spartan
traitor
was kind of random, I'm having a hard time figuring out the overall message here. Apparently Chief has already gone missing though.

Going to try and read through all 3 at once again and try and pick up the thread a bit better.

Sad so say the art really ain't doing it for me most of the time though.

Its pretty much compromise the entire Spartan IV project just for that

Scruggs could off Palmer? That's something I can live with.

S4s can be defeated by normal marines so.....but I dont think 343i would allow that to femjohnson.

Nebula

As bad as the LightRifle is, it sure is fun facing off against another player up close when you both have a LightRifle. Movement actually plays a role in the fight.

Top Bottom