• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I think tracking that information is smart, but I wouldn't apply it to the base game because that's when people get cranky. I think Halo 3 was the best because it brought the MLG community in to make a separate play list. A lot of work needs to be done to define what the social and competive/ranked playlists should be and how many should exist because if you bring MLG in for their own playlist, then you have to solicit requests from every single community. Again, I really don't know how to make all this work with dedis, but if you're going to do a playlist/hopper system again, make it more like Halo 3 and not 4 or reach.
Some people get cranky because they don't know what's best for them. Halo 3 playing at 110% speed is what worked best for that game, despite the general populous' awareness of it. Plus, we've seen people go crazy over the silliest things with this franchise, so I'm sure 343 has thicker skin by now than to let people complaining about a BR nerf in Halo 3 impact them easily.

Fuchsdh

Just out of curiosity Fuchs, do you not see the benefit of having these customization tools even though on the surface it may only appeal to a small minority? I'm trying to understand the intent of your post. Are you suggesting that it's something insignificant that 343 shouldn't invest resources into for reasons you suggest?

The way I see it, games that have this level of customization allow for that small minority to use these features to create gametypes that bleed into the rest of the community. I think it would be in their best interest to focus resources on this to drastically extend the life of the next Halo game, also allowing for diversity that we haven't really seen in Halo multiplayer unless you were going through the trouble looking for them and tediously setting up Custom Games.

I can see the appeal, but I also see it as allocation of assets. As Fyre says, you're increasing possible issues with testing, and bugs that need to be squashed. The only thing worse than not shipping a feature is shipping it riddled with bugs.

I also don't subscribe to the "Halo effect" people credit "core" gamers with in respect to general market trends.

TheOddOne

I can see the appeal, but I also see it as allocation of assets. As Fyre says, you're increasing possible issues with testing, and bugs that need to be squashed. The only thing worse than not shipping a feature is shipping it riddled with bugs.

I also don't subscribe to the "Halo effect" people credit "core" gamers with in respect to general market trends.
It’s a given that games should ship with features that from the ground running are already rock solid that even the developers use them. While not every dev component can be given to the user—because of obvious technical problems that can arise from it—the bare bone customization can still be given through presets. It might not be the full suite, but enough that communities can be creative and work with the restrictions given. For a good example look no further than Reach’s Firefight customization options.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm on. Until there's a catastrophe or something...

EDIT damn these headsets feel irritating. Didn't remember that. Barely remembered how to use one...

"Not subscribing to the 'Halo effect'" in this case pretty much means you're subscribing to the "breaking benjamin button effect" where gamers need more and more babby-fied options longer along the line in a given franchise rather than refinement of traditional core mechanics.

Fuchsdh

"Not subscribing to the 'Halo effect'" in this case pretty much means you're subscribing to the "breaking benjamin button effect" where gamers need more and more babby-fied options longer along the line in a given franchise rather than refinement of traditional core mechanics.

This isn't an either/or argument. And I will always bet against the perceived self-importance of any given group.

Mistel

Banned
Have one btb game with bad host on complex. Next one goes to a good one then back to a bad one for third game with all the same people. That host picking logic is not great really...

This isn't an either/or argument. And I will always bet against the perceived self-importance of any given group.
Halo 2 comes around and 10 people out of millions talk about how Halo needs less aim assist, faster/more responsive movement and more skill-based shooting. Fast forward 10+ years of being called the vocal minority (these 10 people now grew to include thousands upon thousands) and look where we are, Halo fans leaving this franchise and jumping ship in droves. Why? Well, because of things like what those 10 people suggested many moons ago..

Just because you're in a perceived "vocal minority" and are labeled as individuals with a "perceived self-importance" doesn't mean you're not a valid representation of the larger demographic that doesn't post on forums. Because of this, I will never make bets against the little guy unless I have a wealth of information and experience at my disposal to make such claims. Halo has taught me that.

Woorloog

Banned
Too much Halo. I should take a longish break again... but since i have Live till 17-19th (can't remember exactly), i have to play.
Fun games, except that one Ragnarok match with full enemy party or something...

Juan

Some people get cranky because they don't know what's best for them. Halo 3 playing at 110% speed is what worked best for that game, despite the general populous' awareness of it. Plus, we've seen people go crazy over the silliest things with this franchise, so I'm sure 343 has thicker skin by now than to let people complaining about a BR nerf in Halo 3 impact them easily.

I don't remember what the community thought about halo 4's speed, but I think it is, with Halo 2, one of the best basic setting we got. Without using the sprint, I never had the impression my spartan was slow in this game, unlike Halo 3 (even if the maps were designed for this).

Just sad the BR is now way to easy to use.

I know we are supposed to talk about Halo 4 in this thread, but I am glad to see Sotaro Tojima is back for Halo Xbox One, loved his work on Halo 4.

91d40940a3c211e3ac2912692d1693f0_7.jpg

Sotaro Tojima? ehhhhhhhhhhh

Most of his work in halo 4 sounds way too halo 4 for my liking. A good majority of the SFX are only fully-realized if you decide to wear headphones. Coming out of a TV you lose a lot of the subtle texturing and barely-present basses, hence some of the impact noises sounding so "squishy," chirpy gravham noises, etc.

Bungie at least went out of their way to go with more generalized reverb / bassy sounds so the frequencies weren't as lossy over run-of-the-mill TV setups.

Now, if the airy/tinny/squishy SFX are used to represent Halo 4's factions (promethean forerunners, covenant remnant, cod unsc, etc) and the warm bassy reverby SFX come back for the old money factions (OG forerunners, arbynant, chief humens, etc) for the sake of weapon audio differentiation while still playing into the whole concept of civil war like how halo 2 did, I'll eat my hat, but...

u4iX

Halo 2 comes around and 10 people out of millions talk about how Halo needs less aim assist, faster/more responsive movement and more skill-based shooting. Fast forward 10+ years of being called the vocal minority (these 10 people now grew to include thousands upon thousands) and look where we are, Halo fans leaving this franchise and jumping ship in droves. Why? Well, because of things like what those 10 people suggested many moons ago..

Just because you're in a perceived "vocal minority" and are labeled as individuals with a "perceived self-importance" doesn't mean you're not a valid representation of the larger demographic that doesn't post on forums. Because of this, I will never make bets against the little guy unless I have a wealth of information and experience at my disposal to make such claims. Halo has taught me that.

Galileo... More like Gali-halo.

Mistel

Banned
Too much Halo. I should take a longish break again... but since i have Live till 17-19th (can't remember exactly), i have to play.
Fun games, except that one Ragnarok match with full enemy party or something...
I think they certainly had host most of the games we played were very laggy. I like your accent if you don't mind me saying that.

Woorloog

Banned
I think they certainly had host most of the games we played were very laggy. I like your accent if you don't mind me saying that.
I didn't notice much lag. Some warping in a game or two but not much and not for many.
As for the accent... no one has ever commented on that before, i think. I don't mind but now you got me wondering about how accents work, and whether one can hear their own accent...

EDIT Oh and playing with you, i kind of realize how i may have been seen (uh, heard?) back when i talked less. Back when i started playing with HaloGAF, it took me long to get a feel of the party and dare to say something. I wonder if others found it odd that i never talked, or that i was hard to notice or something. I wonder if they remembered i was there too, and i wonder if it bothered them.
Because, i found it hard to keep track of you during matches. Nebula, no problem. He talks and i kind of search quickly for his tag. You, with no mic, it was kind of hard to remember (no offence) you were there.
I don't know if this is like this for others. Odd how sound can play a part in situational awareness... sound that is not from game directly.
(That one match in Complex, i didn't realize you tried to get into my Mongoose until you were there. Might have been a better idea not to considering we blew up pretty soon, i had thrown that match in my mind and was just fooling around. I do not like Complex at all)
EDIT and apologies for a tad abrupt quitting, how do you quit, uh, properly, when you can't exactly talk? Umm. I mean, that is my problem, i'm bad at stuff like that. (For the record, i'm bad at greeting people vocally. Why do i need words, isn't a simple nod enough?)

EDIT And that Medal Madness mode. One game of it is enough for a lifetime.

Seen as the Halo OT has been clamped I guess this is the next best place. JUst watching some Reach cutscenes and damn, if that Halo HD bundle is coming I think i'll be more than satisfied until the next proper game can be released.

Non-Halo 4 talk is more or less forbidden, don't tempt those who wield Gravity Banhammers.

EDIT oh the irony of this. I note that non-Halo 4 talk is no good here, and here i talk about introspective stuff that is only tangentially related, if one reaches a bit...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on now if anyone wants to play. I'm trying out Medal Madness again and really enjoying it. I love when a new phase catches me by surprise and I'm suddenly given a rocket launcher when I had a sword.

Mistel

Banned
I didn't notice much lag. Some warping in a game or two but not much and not for many.
As for the accent... no one has ever commented on that before, i think. I don't mind but now you got me wondering about how accents work, and whether one can hear their own accent...

EDIT Oh and playing with you, i kind of realize how i may have been seen (uh, heard?) back when i talked less. Back when i started playing with HaloGAF, it took me long to get a feel of the party and dare to say something. I wonder if others found it odd that i never talked, or that i was hard to notice or something. I wonder if they remembered i was there too, and i wonder if it bothered them.
Because, i found it hard to keep track of you during matches. Nebula, no problem. He talks and i kind of search quickly for his tag. You, with no mic, it was kind of hard to remember (no offence) you were there.
I don't know if this is like this for others. Odd how sound can play a part in situational awareness... sound that is not from game directly.
(That one match in Complex, i didn't realize you tried to get into my Mongoose until you were there. Might have been a better idea not to considering we blew up pretty soon, i had thrown that match in my mind and was just fooling around. I do not like Complex at all)
EDIT and apologies for a tad abrupt quitting, how do you quit, uh, properly, when you can't exactly talk? Umm. I mean, that is my problem, i'm bad at stuff like that. (For the record, i'm bad at greeting people vocally. Why do i need words, isn't a simple nod enough?)

EDIT And that Medal Madness mode. One game of it is enough for a lifetime.
I'm always disappearing off as I play. I'm always in a banshee or a wraith if I can get one on a map. I did manage to get one on longbow after a skyjack and I got some kills. I was just warping around too often to actually use it for longer. I didn't actually know you were on a mongoose in front of me I'd been warping back to that same spot for about 30 seconds.

There's perks to being quiet, who do you think took out both of the mantis's on meltdown?

Medal madness was a bit hit and miss for me really.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm always disappearing off as I play. I'm always in a banshee or a wraith if I can get one on a map. I did manage to get one on longbow after a skyjack and I got some kills. I was just warping around too often to actually use it for longer. I didn't actually know you were on a mongoose in front of me I'd been warping back to that same spot for about 30 seconds.

There's perks to being quiet, who do you think took out both of the mantis's on meltdown?

Medal madness was a bit hit and miss for me really.

Warping? Did your connection have issues or something? I don't think i noticed you warping, just some enemies (but then i pay more attention to my enemies than to my team, kind of a bad habit, i'm a loner, usually because i don't think i can rely on my team). EDIT this makes me wonder about how one's lag appears to others. And it reminds me of that Halo 4 ping meter is utterly useless. It can claim green even in a laggy match.
Speaking of Wraiths, does any map still have them?

I guess. Reminds of a Reach match, a story i've told before: I'm playing quietly and suddenly someone notes i'm doing well with 30 kills, waking me up from highly focused state.

The Medal Madness concept is suitable for Action Sack but not for serious playing. And Harvest is a BTB map, it is way too big for 8 players.

Mistel

Banned
Warping? Did your connection have issues or something?

Speaking of Wraiths, does any map still have them?

The Medal Madness concept is suitable for Action Sack but not for serious playing. And Harvest is a BTB map, it is way too big for 8 players.
My connection didn't have issues I think it was the hosts that game on harvest and meltdown were fine. Full party ragnarok, one of the longbow ones and complex were just bad for me.

Medal madness seems like it would work better as a free for all or multi team to me. And no map has a wraith :'( unless it's a dlc map and it's not like they ever come up.

Fuchsdh

My connection didn't have issues I think it was the hosts that game on harvest and meltdown were fine. Full party ragnarok, one of the longbow ones and complex were just bad for me.

Medal madness seems like it would work better as a free for all or multi team to me. And no map has a wraith :'( unless it's a dlc map and it's not like they ever come up.

Me and ExWife got Skyline and the Pit in a row last night. Bad connections on the Pit, but hey at least nice scenery.

Thanks to the "Hail Mary" medal round I finally noticed Skyline has a very nice roof.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if Nebula had (serious) lag, i know i didn't, just minor issues.

EDIT speaking of Hail Mary, Nebula got one with a Pulse Grenade in a Ragnarok match...

willow ve

Refusing to play Infinity Slayer makes your lobby search time about 10 minutes between matches. Feels like I'm back playing Arena matches on Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
Refusing to play Infinity Slayer makes your lobby search time about 10 minutes between matches. Feels like I'm back playing Arena matches on Reach.

What about Touchdown? (What kind of list is it by the way, i assumed it is kind of "classic" Halo but never touched it)

willow ve

I just play Team Slayer and if the vote goes Infinity I back out before voting ends. Sometimes you go 15+ minutes before a lobby finally votes something else.

Woorloog

Banned
I just play Team Slayer and if the vote goes Infinity I back out before voting ends. Sometimes you go 15+ minutes before a lobby finally votes something else.

How do people quit during voting? By dashboarding? Can't just back out like during search, can you?

Woorloog

Banned
>Start button
>Set network mode to console / offline

Huh. What happens if you've got a guest with you? I don't usually bother quitting in Halo 4 but with a guest, some maps are unplayable (Complex, practically all Forged maps, Complex, nearly all DLC maps, Complex...) so ability to quit before the match starts would be useful. However, if it works but resets guest's loadouts and stuff, it is pointless.

Nebula

You can quit during the voting by pressing B as long as you haven't voted.

Well I didn't see that. But yeah it's been like that since day 1.

I didn't lag much in any of the games we played but I'm on 60down 4up so... Woorloog is a fantastic passenger :)

Thought about getting on tonight but I'm hella tired right now.

Will probably play tomorrow though. No games and no shows on afaik. But my gf seems to have 2-3 shows to watch every night so who knows.

You can quit during the voting by pressing B as long as you haven't voted.

Well I didn't see that. But yeah it's been like that since day 1.

I didn't lag much in any of the games we played but I'm on 60down 4up so... Woorloog is a fantastic passenger :)

Which has absolutely nothing to do with lag/latency/connection quality.

Nebula

Which has absolutely nothing to do with lag/latency/connection quality.

What do you mean? I guess it's nothing to do with the hosts quality but I like to think my connection speeds play some part in making games a bit less rocky in terms of connection even if the host isn't so great. I tend to suffer less than most people in games under a poor host anyway.

What do you mean?

Your upload and download speeds have little-to-nothing to do with the quality of your connection to the host or your quality as a host (assuming you have the minimum bandwidth requirements, which most people do). What really matters is the distance to the other party and the network configuration in play (poor routing/NAT, crappy wireless signal, etc.) which isn't related to the bandwidth.

I can use some analogies to make my point clearer if it isn't :) (IT/CS guys always have an analogy)

Nebula

Your upload and download speeds have little-to-nothing to do with the quality of your connection to the host or your quality as a host (assuming you have the minimum bandwidth requirements, which most people do). What really matters is the distance to the other party and the network configuration in play (poor routing/NAT, crappy wireless signal, etc.) which isn't related to the bandwidth.

I can use some analogies to make my point clearer if it isn't :) (IT/CS guys always have an analogy)

We should destroy all moderate and closed NATs.

Does the Xbone have the limit on speed that the 360 does?

Fuchsdh

We should destroy all moderate and closed NATs.

Does the Xbone have the limit on speed that the 360 does?

I would assume it does, just a much higher cap...

(and one that will hopefully get lifted as the lowest common denominator improves).

We can.

It's called get everyone to finally adopt IPv6. No more NAT issues, ever!

Weren't we supposed to have done that, like, four years ago?

We can.

It's called get everyone to finally adopt IPv6. No more NAT issues, ever!

Considering there are only half the number of v6 addresses than there are atoms in the known universe, I think we should just wait for the next version just to be on the safe side...

Seriously though, IPv6 would eliminate that issue in a heartbeat. The other issues though? Ugh...

Weren't we supposed to have done that, like, four years ago?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Top Bottom