• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

CyReN

Proving Ground is a pretty bad name, should really do a community poll or something next time. Team Throwdown takes the cake though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
SWAT, breh.
Yeah, that's fun once a month or so.

Proving Ground is a pretty bad name, should really do a community poll or something next time. Team Throwdown takes the cake though.
It's pretty bad. The first thing I think of when I hear it is that it's a playlist for new players. Like, you start off in Proving Ground and then graduate to the normal playlists after you've, you know, proved yourself.

CyReN

Proving Ground will always be this for me

tony-hawks-proving-ground-20070614093125222.jpg

Fuchsdh

Yeah, that's fun once a month or so.

It's pretty bad. The first thing I think of when I hear it is that it's a playlist for new players. Like, you start off in Proving Ground and then graduate to the normal playlists after you've, you know, proved yourself.
I like it personally but I see where it can be confusing and interpreted like the above.

Halo.bungie.org is running a March Madness tournament with 8 teams of 3. My team got knocked out in a best of three show down but played some incredibly close games. Also got some good Forge remakes for customs.

Mabef

Banned
Every other playlist has an ambiguous name, only seems natural. Can't wait for Decimation, Annihilation, Extinction, Devastation and Team Devastation playlists.

Mistel

Banned
Every other playlist has an ambiguous name, only seems natural. Can't wait for Decimation, Annihilation, Extinction, Devastation and Team Devastation playlists.
That's pretty much regicide already if the player count increased to 10 vs 10 and you had to kill a member of your own team. I've got no idea how that would work. Extinction is a name for a last man standing game type if I ever saw one...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to Halo 4, the game where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

Fuchsdh

I don't think that exactly works as a comment towards the game, really. What the hell is "Oddball" or "Crazy King" to someone who's never played? Playlists are always going to have some names that are less descriptive than others. Things like the "Skirmish" designation have never been useful unless you know going into it what they are. God knows Bungie came up with some bad ones in the Halo 3 era especially... the only thing you can fault 343 with that's "worse" is the Legendary/Team/Super/Infinity slayer jumbo.

Proving Grounds doesn't sound too bad to me. At least when I read that name I get the jist of what the playlist is about. Team Throwdown was just like "YO MAN LETS THROWDOWN" and was pretty terrible all around.

Proving Grounds doesn't sound too bad to me. At least when I read that name I get the jist of what the playlist is about. Team Throwdown was just like "YO MAN LETS THROWDOWN" and was pretty terrible all around.

"LET'S YOU AND HIM FIGHT Slayer"

I don't mind it that much, but I feel like there are easier ways to convey it's a playlist that uses pseudo-classical settings and has a competitive feel to it. "Ranked Team Slayer," for example.

Mistel

Banned
How effective is CSR though as a ranking system? In big team it seems really hit and miss as with regards to balanced matches which I assume is it's goal.

Cow

Halo needs faster movement acceleration. Fast strafing in Halo 4 is completely useless, just end up standing still.

They're all ranked via CSR though. The only difference here is they're moving the Top 200 leaderboard to this list.
True, but to me that's a good enough excuse to actually call it that. And then you'll hopefully get more people to realize that CSR exists and that you can check it, even if it is online.

How effective is CSR though as a ranking system? In big team it seems really hit and miss as with regards to balanced matches which I assume is it's goal.
It's very loose and leans towards quick matches rather than close skill matches. It also seems to totally disregard parties, which makes for really lopsided outcomes even if player skills are nominally similar.

It's there, though. It's very noticeable if you start on a fresh account, or play in a playlist you haven't since the last reset. I played Rumble Pit for the first time in 4 a couple months ago and jeeeeeeez those kids were bad.

Mistel

Banned
It's very loose and leans towards quick matches rather than close skill matches. It also seems to totally disregard parties, which makes for really lopsided outcomes even if player skills are nominally similar.

It's there, though. It's very noticeable if you start on a fresh account, or play in a playlist you haven't since the last reset. I played Rumble Pit for the first time in 4 a couple months ago and jeeeeeeez those kids were bad.
So it doesn't even match parties with parties that explains a lot really. They reset play list CSR? Is that to make fairer matches or something...

Mabef

Banned
That's pretty much regicide already if the player count increased to 10 vs 10 and you had to kill a member of your own team. I've got no idea how that would work. Extinction is a name for a last man standing game type if I ever saw one...
Yeah, I'm kind of conflicted that my fake jokey names gave me legit ideas.
I don't think that exactly works as a comment towards the game, really. What the hell is "Oddball" or "Crazy King" to someone who's never played? Playlists are always going to have some names that are less descriptive than others. Things like the "Skirmish" designation have never been useful unless you know going into it what they are. God knows Bungie came up with some bad ones in the Halo 3 era especially... the only thing you can fault 343 with that's "worse" is the Legendary/Team/Super/Infinity slayer jumbo.
You're right. It used to bug me that Halo was too good for deathmatch and called it Slayer, but they kind of earned it by sticking to it for ten years and, y'know, being Halo.
Halo 4's naming rubbed me the wrong way with it's half-baked contextualizing of the multiplayer into the story. They totally sold the idea (to me), but in game it basically just meant obfuscating the menu options. I wonder if they'll totally commit to the idea next time or forget about it.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
We have got to find a way to get somebody at 343 to give you a shoutout on twitter or something.

EDIT: oh, hey I'm a member. :)

yeah i really wanna get a shoutout from halo waypoint, the only one that twitted my gun sync was David Ellis designer at 343 and i thank him for that :)
yay a member :D

Fuchsdh

True, but to me that's a good enough excuse to actually call it that. And then you'll hopefully get more people to realize that CSR exists and that you can check it, even if it is online.

It does match CSR parties, but I imagine the population is so low that it prioritizes matching parties against similar sized parties over that.

A weakness (or feature, because there is no perfect matchmaking system) is that Halo 4 tends to match for a team average CSR, rather than certain ranges. So two teams might add up to 60 CSR, but one side might be 3 5s and 1 CSR45, while the others might all be CS15s (I'm spitballing numbers because I haven't done enough research to see if there are any actual caps on ranges or not.) So it's possible to be outmatched by median skill despite being matched by average skill.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. :)

This is definitely my favorite video of yours though.

you're welcome :) awesome :D i'm glad you like that one, that one took me like 2 and a half days to finish it but i got it lol
now i'm getting use to it and its taking me only 6 hrs now :) practice makes progress :D

Chettlar

Banned
you're welcome :) awesome :D i'm glad you like that one, that one took me like 2 and a half days to finish it but i got it lol
now i'm getting use to it and its taking me only 6 hrs now :) practice makes progress :D

Keep at it. No hyperbole here, I could listen to these for quite a while. Makes for great "writing" music for some reason. I needs more.

Halo needs faster movement acceleration. Fast strafing in Halo 4 is completely useless, just end up standing still.

One positive Halo 4 has over the other Halo games is that you can crouch while you're strafing, making engagements more interesting.

Chettlar

Banned
One positive Halo 4 has over the other Halo games is that you can crouch while you're strafing, making engagements more interesting.

Is amazing how inconvenient that is to go back to once you've gotten used to it.

Having to completely stop moving in Halo 2's campaign in order to crouch is the worst. I don't even try it in multiplayer.

DeadNames

Banned
One thing that I thought H4 did really well was get good feelings of guns. The BR feels really good to use, especially the 4 shot one. The LR feels kinda weird though.

It does match CSR parties, but I imagine the population is so low that it prioritizes matching parties against similar sized parties over that.

A weakness (or feature, because there is no perfect matchmaking system) is that Halo 4 tends to match for a team average CSR, rather than certain ranges. So two teams might add up to 60 CSR, but one side might be 3 5s and 1 CSR45, while the others might all be CS15s (I'm spitballing numbers because I haven't done enough research to see if there are any actual caps on ranges or not.) So it's possible to be outmatched by median skill despite being matched by average skill.

Yeah, I misspoke. It does care about party matching, we even saw that in Fubar's Amazing Warthog Ride game the other weekend when it was two pretty sizable parties facing off (BTB.net-esque dudes vs HaloGAF). I was thinking of it matching a party of people with the same total skill against a team of randoms with the same nominal total skill, even though people who know each other are obviously going to be more coordinated and win 95% of the time. It wouldn't matter if party matching was more consistent, though.

Your type of scenario is super annoying, too. Seems like if you go into Team Slayer or CTF with less than a full party, it'll stick the most horrific randies on your team to balance it out. I'm usually not in that position, but I'm pretty sure it's not fun for the random players either, getting wrecked over and over and over and over again.

I wish they could tell you how much more time it would take on average to get a close skill match and then let you choose how much time to give it... I wouldn't mind reading another minute or two of interwebs to find a match. 5 minutes would be a little much.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I misspoke. It does care about party matching, we even saw that in Fubar's Amazing Warthog Ride game the other weekend when it was two pretty sizable parties facing off (BTB.net-esque dudes vs HaloGAF). I was thinking of it matching a party of people with the same total skill against a team of randoms with the same nominal total skill, even though people who know each other are obviously going to be more coordinated and win 95% of the time. It wouldn't matter if party matching was more consistent, though.

Your type of scenario is super annoying, too. Seems like if you go into Team Slayer or CTF with less than a full party, it'll stick the most horrific randies on your team to balance it out. I'm usually not in that position, but I'm pretty sure it's not fun for the random players either, getting wrecked over and over and over and over again.

I wish they could tell you how much more time it would take on average to get a close skill match and then let you choose how much time to give it... I wouldn't mind reading another minute or two of interwebs to find a match. 5 minutes would be a little much.

Would be great for the multiplayer toggles from Reach to return. I dunno if they actually made much of a difference but it at least *felt* like I was getting to register my preferences.

And I agree about the guns. While there are some that overall I think are a step down from their predecessors, for the most part I think it has one of the better sandboxes, even with the duplicative weapons.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Keep at it. No hyperbole here, I could listen to these for quite a while. Makes for great "writing" music for some reason. I needs more.

Thank you means a lot to me :') but don't worry i'll have more soon to come :D hopefully my channel grows but in do time :)

Karl2177

I was gonna look up CSR stuff(mostly to see if Action Sack was CSR'd), but I ended up getting pissed at Waypoint. So I'm just gonna be brief.

waypoint.png

1. I understand this is meant to be used on mobile, but can we please get rid of this damn thing? Just fit everything in one column. It doesn't translate well on the desktop.

2. This guy does the same thing as #3, but with less precision.

3. This doesn't scroll through the names like you think it would. It scrolls through the stuff in #2.

4. It's these stupid arrows that scroll through the names.

5. I see Team Slayer on here, but no Team Slayer in the current playlists thing on the service record. I see BTB on here, but no BTB on the current playlists on the service record.

Other Waypoint crap:
-Why does my game history only show 5 games at a time on desktop?
-You can't put Kills and Deaths on the same pie(donut) chart. Those two numbers aren't a 100 sum number.
-When I look at a game summary, I just want to see if my team won or lost. Enough of this 2nd place stuff when I'm on the winning team.
-Medals are a pain to go through.

And stuff that isn't related to Waypoint:
-Why is stuff like Flood, Grifball, and Action Sack CSR'd?
-Have they really reused the same monthly challenge every time?

Madness

Tashi if you still follow HaloGAF or check these threads, can you please use any insider connections you now have to get the waypoint team to overhaul the site? Especially also get them to remove the sign in requirements. Often times, I just want to search the people I'm playing against quickly, using Mobile. Such a hassle. Would like to take 2 seconds to Google waypoint, and then 2 seconds to put in a name and get all the stats. Also, take into account what Karl has above.

Nebula

Speaking of regicide, that BTB game me and Storm played on Complex. Wow. I was king all game and was on the mongoose for pretty much all of it. I got 10 kills as king, 9 of which were on the Mongoose. We won as well :)

I should be on after work, so in around 7 hours. Gotta love starting at 6AM.

Mistel

Banned
Speaking of regicide, that BTB game me and Storm played on Complex. Wow. I was king all game and was on the mongoose for pretty much all of it. I got 10 kills as king, 9 of which were on the Mongoose. We won as well :)

I should be on after work, so in around 7 hours. Gotta love starting at 6AM.
Why can't we be queens instead of kings... I just saw the protect marker moving everywhere so I knew it was you, show off :p.

Top Bottom