• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Gun Game was free for all, wasn't it?
Medal Madness would be better as free for all like Stormtrooper noted. And if it were more like Gun Game instead of random silliness. You know, a progression of weapons, no mini-rounds.

Booties

Banned
Some people get cranky because they don't know what's best for them. Halo 3 playing at 110% speed is what worked best for that game, despite the general populous' awareness of it. Plus, we've seen people go crazy over the silliest things with this franchise, so I'm sure 343 has thicker skin by now than to let people complaining about a BR nerf in Halo 3 impact them easily.

Halo 2 comes around and 10 people out of millions talk about how Halo needs less aim assist, faster/more responsive movement and more skill-based shooting. Fast forward 10+ years of being called the vocal minority (these 10 people now grew to include thousands upon thousands) and look where we are, Halo fans leaving this franchise and jumping ship in droves. Why? Well, because of things like what those 10 people suggested many moons ago..

Just because you're in a perceived "vocal minority" and are labeled as individuals with a "perceived self-importance" doesn't mean you're not a valid representation of the larger demographic that doesn't post on forums. Because of this, I will never make bets against the little guy unless I have a wealth of information and experience at my disposal to make such claims. Halo has taught me that.

I never got a chance to these yesterday. Although I like the settings that you mention this group preferring, I don't think the lack of them is what caused people to leave the franchise. People were generally happy with the base gameplay in Halo until big changes came during Reach. They changed the primary rifle, added a new bloom system (maybe this was in response to the aim assist? eh?), and armor abilities. There were other changes, but I'd say these were definitely the big three. Then Halo 4 comes out under a new developer and even more new fluff is added (I've already mention what they were a million times in these threads). Pair THAT with slightly different FOV and player movement and you have a totally different feel for a classic game. It was that combination of things that led to a mass exodus, not a lack of trying. The halo they knew and loved was gone forever with these settings.

The main problem with this game is that there are too many bad ideas being fleshed out and going straight to matchmaking without being tested. 343i can say they did extensive testing, but we now know that just isn't true because any amount of Alpha-testing or Beta-testing with actual players would have tore open the scabby wounds on Halo's new 343 skin. They'll say it was to beat CoD to market, but that's a lame excuse since 2 CoD games have been released since then. And they just keep coming so it doesn't make sense to say that anymore.

Anyway, Halo with classic, core settings with dedicated servers would be ideal. Otherwise they need to figure out a better way to integrate the thousand different game types and core variations into match making. This franchise has no clear vision or direction and it shows in the finished product. Hence, why people don't play it. QED.

I never got a chance to these yesterday. Although I like the settings that you mention this group preferring, I don't think the lack of them is what caused people to leave the franchise. People were generally happy with the base gameplay in Halo until big changes came during Reach.

I agree with what you said, but now imagine if they had a CGB with all these options, you still think as many people would've stopped playing Halo 4? We all agree it's not one single thing that caused so many people to stop playing, but rather the combination of multiple factors building up over the years.

The next Halo can't come out just returning its base settings to something more "classic;" it has to differentiate itself from its competitors through its feature set by focusing resources on the things that's always made Halo a different beast from other FPS's. Halo stopped being the industry standard-setter for console multiplayer after Halo 3. We need to get back to that point and it won't necessarily be through its gameplay alone.

Booties

Banned
I agree with what you said, but now imagine if they had a CGB with all these options, you still think as many people would've stopped playing Halo 4? We all agree it's not one single thing that caused so many people to stop playing, but rather the combination of multiple factors building up over the years.

The next Halo can't come out just returning its base settings to something more "classic;" it has to differentiate itself from its competitors through its feature set by focusing resources on the things that's always made Halo a different beast from other FPS's. Halo stopped being the industry standard-setter for console multiplayer after Halo 3. We need to get back to that point and it won't necessarily be through its gameplay alone.

Yeah, the number one reason people played halo multiplayer so much is because they played halo 1 for the story, then saw how fun the multiplayer was. Halo did have the luxury of being at it's peak when XBL was introduced. A better single player story will definitely hold onto people. I played halo 3's campaign dozens of times while logging 5,000+ games of multiplayer.

Jumping from halo 4 levels of change to a basic game like halo 2 would be drastic, and step downs are probably required, but having the right mechanics will be more important than anything. I wasn't saying we need a better bare bones game, we just need to get the basic stuff right before we deal with the add ons. For example, adding perks to loadouts and changing guns is a bad sign. It means you don't have the right settings behind the scenes and now you have to put all these band aids on. But I think that if you have better movement speed, better aiming, better controller sensitivity, player speed, gravity, physics, and a myriad of little things underneath the hood, then you can do whatever you want to the game and still have it be successful. Halo 4 lacked that spine and all these changes just made the game bad.

Nebula

WOOOOORLOOOOOOOOOOG!

I'm so, so sorry
:)

I won't have my Mic on today. My Ear is pretty messed up and needs to recover, and wearing it how I wore it yesterday gave me a headache.

We're playing some BTB if anyone fancies joining.

Omni

I'd get on now but it's only 7am here so I dun wanna wake the room mate by playing and talking haha. I've got the day off from university so will be playing a little later if anyone is still on

Mistel

Banned
Storm you're teleporting all over the shop :( Sorry about the betrayal.

We're on if anyone wants to BTB it up.
Only when I get run over by you was I teleporting, that ragnarok game was awful. And full parties suck.

I'd get on now but it's only 7am here so I dun wanna wake the room mate by playing and talking haha. I've got the day off from university so will be playing a little later if anyone is still on
Me and nebula might still be playing.

Nebula

I think I'm done for the night. There's only so much bullshit I can handle.

That prior game was bad, but the one after it was horrid.

It's not a poor mans gun game. It's Sharpshooter from Call of Duty.

Only in that the change between rounds is time based. Sharpshooter is just total kills, where MM is total rounds won per team. So unlike sharpshooter, you can't frontload all of your kills in one round if you want to win. Same with gun game. You have to be successful in a majority/all rounds to win. Where it differs from both, other than being team based, is that you're not only changing weapons, but also conditions for scoring.

Of course, it's really its own thing, but it needs a fair bit of refinement and more thought-out map selection.

Mistel

Banned
I think I'm done for the night. There's only so much bullshit I can handle.

That prior game was bad, but the one after it was horrid.
No idea what happened with that one all of those matches were just awful, some horrid team balancing with the complete morons on ours...

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
How long do these things usually take for you to compile? Including prep/recording/editing/etc.

it mostly takes me like a day and a half to get everything done, but its worth it though :)

Very cool =)

Pretty cool. Probably more fun than playing the game.
thanks :D i actually enjoy doing this, its a lot of fun lol :D

Short but sweet! I enjoyed it a lot :).
glad you liked it thanks :D maybe i can do a longer version next time :)

Very cool.
thank you :D

Mistel

Banned
Just to save the hassle:

bulletin said:
The Proving Ground playlist will be the new arena for Halo 4 players to enjoy BR-start gameplay that will feature an increased variety of power weapons, the removal of Personal Ordnance and Armor Abilities, and the addition of the motion tracker. The settings are similar to Legendary Slayer BRs, but do not include the Assault Rifle as a secondary weapon, and instead focus on precision weapon gameplay. Additionally, the Team Slayer Top 200 will be moving to the Proving Ground playlist, ranking the top players in this new playlist each week, which is specifically designed for a new competitive experience in Halo 4.

We’re excited about the playlist, and will have additional details for you next week regarding the map pool and more. This week, though, we want to know which objective game type you want to see included at launch in Proving Ground!
Community Choice Poll: Proving Ground Game Types

In Proving Ground, objective game types will be fast paced, competitive, and in general, pretty awesome. Before we launch this new playlist, we want to know which objectives you want to play first. Check out the choices below and vote on your favorite option!

Capture the Flag
Proving Ground CTF will feature symmetrical gameplay with a mix of on-disc, DLC, and community-made maps.

Extraction
Proving Ground Extraction will feature Battle Rifle gameplay coupled with strategically placed and timed power weapons that results in a fast paced, teamwork-oriented experience.

King of the Hill
Proving Ground King of the Hill will feature time-based sequential hill movement. This means that the hill will move along a set path on set time intervals, providing structured gameplay that promotes map control.
So it's BR starts all the time with a precision weapon focus. Not that interesting really to me I'd rather have Heavies instead, but for those of who like that sort of thing it might be something.

Motion Tracker
(snooze).gif

I didn't think Throwdown even had a population anymore for them to bother updating it. I might try it out just because I haven't played Halo 4 in forever.

FyreWulff

I didn't think Throwdown even had a population anymore for them to bother updating it. I might try it out just because I haven't played Halo 4 in forever.

I just went and check it's population. 31 people. The skill matching must be entirely useless in there right now.

Mistel

Banned
It right now has 30 people playing, I don't see that as being in demand of this sort of update. And proving ground sounds stupid... Who comes up with that as a name?

FyreWulff

It right now has 30 people playing, I don't see that as being in demand of this sort of update. And proving ground sounds stupid... Who comes up with that as a name?

I have a feeling the idea is putting the playlist under a new name, then putting the Top 200 on it in an attempt to reboot the population for that playstyle.

Huh, Proving Ground sounds good. Again one of those things that seems like it should have been there at launch, but oh well. Looks like they're trying to move the competitive live people to a non-Infinity playlist while ditching AGL, which is... interesting. Can't wait to read the Waypoint backlash against taking out the AR, too.

EDIT: I might be on tonight, not sure yet.

Chettlar

Banned
it mostly takes me like a day and a half to get everything done, but its worth it though :)

thanks :D i actually enjoy doing this, its a lot of fun lol :D

glad you liked it thanks :D maybe i can do a longer version next time :)

thank you :D

We have got to find a way to get somebody at 343 to give you a shoutout on twitter or something.

EDIT: oh, hey I'm a member. :)

Huh, Proving Ground sounds good. Again one of those things that seems like it should have been there at launch, but oh well. Looks like they're trying to move the competitive live people to a non-Infinity playlist while ditching AGL, which is... interesting. Can't wait to read the Waypoint backlash against taking out the AR, too.

EDIT: I might be on tonight, not sure yet.
The general consensus on automatics in this franchise has really been shit after CE, especially in the competitive communities. It's a damn shame IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Proving Ground sounds cool, but I'm going to miss having a no-radar playlist in matchmaking. I think it's a smart decision overall, though. Just don't put it at the bottom of the playlist menu!

Top Bottom