• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

Ran into my first haxor last night. Everyone had super speed, that promethean AR was shooting rails from the Rail Gun, plus the usual unlimited ammo, AAs and ~250 grenades (fun fact, the counter resets around that number for some reason)

In the game before, only the one guy had those attributes, so I know it was him.

Don't know why people bother. It's not fun in the slightest

Woorloog

Banned
Ran into my first haxor last night. Everyone had super speed, that promethean AR was shooting rails from the Rail Gun, plus the usual unlimited ammo, AAs and ~250 grenades (fun fact, the counter resets around that number for some reason)

In the game before, only the one guy had those attributes, so I know it was him.

Don't know why people bother. It's not fun in the slightest

255 is presumably the max grenade amount, 0-255.

I think i'm lucky i've never ran into a cheater.
There is one time that i'm suspicious of but it could have been extreme lag (in Halo 3, this guy keeps warping around, being basically invulnerable and gets everything, and killing me and my guest with impunity. I think him being laggy host is possible, with no cheating involved).

EDIT and i'm online, throw me (Empyrus) an invite if someone wants to play Halo 4. Apologies if it takes a moment for me to do anything, don't have bleep-bloop effect enabled.

wwm0nkey

I don't think you need to kill her but show her she fucked up BIG TIME and lost her own soldiers for it and then have her decommissioned would be good.

Omni

255 is presumably the max grenade amount, 0-255.

I think i'm lucky i've never ran into a cheater.
There is one time that i'm suspicious of but it could have been extreme lag (in Halo 3, this guy keeps warping around, being basically invulnerable and gets everything, and killing me and my guest with impunity. I think him being laggy host is possible, with no cheating involved).
Yeah, that seemed to happen a lot in Halo 3. Didn't help that I always had a yellow bar connection because I'm in Australia haha

I kinda like Palmer. Obviously 343i are handling her in the worst possible way ever, but I can see the appeal of a Spartan that takes no crap and has a mild sense of humour. They just need to humanise her a little more, I think. Make her care for something that we don't all hate and can relate to.

It was such a bad idea to use her as one of the front people on the attack on Halsey. Of course most people are going to hate someone that shows no compassion and tries to kill a fan favourite character - especially one who I'd argue that most feel has been wrongly hung out to dry and attacked for no reason at all in ALL post Halo 3 universe material.

Don't worry guys. 343 plans to write on destroying Infinity. That way, Palmer and War Games will finally be over...But if Captain Laskey stays aboard then ill cry. UNLESS Sarah throws his ass into an escape pod because he was too damn stubborn to leave as the ship gets obliterated along with Roland (Rip Roland). Only then I will actually like her.

Dub117

About to play some. GT: stang117 and be warned I'm rusty as fuck

I'm on send me an invite if you want a scrub on your team

Never mind everyone is horrible on here, I almost just got a perfection

Nebula

It was decent but a lot of people have a hard time grasping how to play it. Numerous people went for melee kills when you weren't rewarded for them. The Assassin one is just a meleefest also. A nice spot of fun for a few games though but I found it boring after the "new" feeling wore off.

Dub117

I hate the blue spartan hand in the radar while you are holding the sword. I can't see anything on it. Also, I'm just curious, H5 sticky grenade launcher vs Reach grenade launcher?

Medal Madness is the definition of a gametype that shows off host dependency. Seriously.

On a decent / nearby host, it's not bad I suppose.

Yay!!! Halo 4 hey everyone if you have the time check out my Halo 4 Gun sync i made
Hope y'all like it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQLC4SPGnU&feature=gp-n-y

I totally forgot super duper DLC weapon skins were a thing until I saw this.

Dumb question: excluding the additional manpower resources-wise it would take, is there any inherent reason they couldn't use separate 3D models as alternate weapon skins as long as the engine was made with it in mind from the beginning? Like using the OG Halo 2 BR model with the appropriate texture as an alternate skin for the Halo 4 BR, etc.

Let's also pretend things like sandbox awareness and recognizable silhouettes wouldn't be completely thrown out the window for this hypothetical.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Medal Madness is cool. I wouldn't want to play it regularly, but it'd make a nice Action Sack gametype.

GhaleonEB

Yikes. Are you excited about the very existence of Halo 5, or is it all Destiny for you now?

I'm getting a PS4 this gen, so I've moved on from Halo. I loved Halo for a decade, and I want Halo to be a thing, and I'd like it to be awesome again. I have a strong tendency to tune out stuff I know I'm not getting, but sheer muscle memory and curiosity will probably have me following Halo 5 a bit.

In a way Halo 4 made it a lot easier to pick a console this gen. If I loved it and was still very interested in the series, I'd probably have leaned XBO this gen. As is, it's unlikely (never say never) I'll get another Halo game.

Destiny, we'll see.

FyreWulff

I totally forgot super duper DLC weapon skins were a thing until I saw this.

Dumb question: excluding the additional manpower resources-wise it would take, is there any inherent reason they couldn't use separate 3D models as alternate weapon skins as long as the engine was made with it in mind from the beginning? Like using the OG Halo 2 BR model with the appropriate texture as an alternate skin for the Halo 4 BR, etc.

Let's also pretend things like sandbox awareness and recognizable silhouettes wouldn't be completely thrown out the window for this hypothetical.

Yes.

This is basically how they did the Flood Claw. It's a Sword with a different first person model.

edit: The Golf Club on Sandbox and the Golf Club weapon in Reach are also good examples of this. They're different models for the Hammer.

Booties

Banned
Honestly, the game is a lot better to play. It's a lot less Rock, Paper, Scissory than it was at first, but it's still too random. I also think I've just gotten used to the major changes like sprint default, no zoom knowout, flinching, and movement. I still want them to go back to the more bare-bones, regimented type of halo, but for now it's playable. Too bad it took so long for things to balance a bit.

gAg CruSh3r

Honestly, the game is a lot better to play. It's a lot less Rock, Paper, Scissory than it was at first, but it's still too random. I also think I've just gotten used to the major changes like sprint default, no zoom knowout, flinching, and movement. I still want them to go back to the more bare-bones, regimented type of halo, but for now it's playable. Too bad it took so long for things to balance a bit.

I wonder if the population would have dropped a lot still if these settings and game types were in Halo 4 at launch.

Fuchsdh

I wonder if the population would have dropped a lot still if these settings and game types were in Halo 4 at launch.
To a degree, yeah. They clearly did attract the CoD crowd with those initial sales, they didn't "convert" to Halo though, they went back to CoD two weeks later.

As to anything quantifiable I dunno. None of the changes, small map packs, et al did anything to goose the numbers. It'd be interest to have an alternate universe were everythig remained constant but they didn't do any balance or Infinity adjustment to see what happened but I suspect the results would have been the same.

Had Halo 4 launched like it is now? That I can't even speculate on.

Booties

Banned

I think it would absolutely be higher. The biggest change that "fixed" halo 4 was the TU for the BR and more predictable weapon spawns. The launch maps are still weak, but there are a few good forge maps with set weapon spawns. Those 3 things would probably hold a lot more players' attention.

Nebula

I'd still love to see a reduction on Aim Assist and removal of Player Ordnance. I think I could live with the rest of it. For a few more months at least.

Yes.

This is basically how they did the Flood Claw. It's a Sword with a different first person model.

edit: The Golf Club on Sandbox and the Golf Club weapon in Reach are also good examples of this. They're different models for the Hammer.
This is something they should do more of going forward.

Booties

Banned
I'd still love to see a reduction on Aim Assist and removal of Player Ordnance. I think I could live with the rest of it. For a few more months at least.

Yeah aim assist feels nuts in this game. Sometimes my reticule whips around when an opponent far off in the distance will walk behind whoever I am shooting at close range. Stuff like that should not happen. The player ordnances should take longer to get and be mostly support stuff. Most games turn into players with overshields and SAWs after a few minutes. Give them like, an ammo crate or added perk instead. I dunno. I'd rather they just got rid of it as well.

I don't get it.. Halo fans have been asking for adjustable aim assist settings, damage modifiers, etc. since 2004 and we have still yet to receive anything of the sort. What's the downside to giving players this sort of control?

Murder Miners has a lot of options to adjust aim settings (assist, magnetism, etc.) and it works great. I was hoping Halo 4 would have these things after Bungie refused to include them for so many years ;\

Mistel

Banned
Another introduction made in 4 flinch should also get the boot along with perks. On more positive note want to play some btb with me later?

I was hoping Halo 4 would have these things after Bungie refused to include them for so many years ;\
Hopefully in the future we get expanded megalo options in a game that's got core halo mechanics and gameplay as its focus for MM.

Woorloog

Banned
BTB, when? Who?

You know, i wouldn't mind getting to play on Shatter for once, i haven't played online without splitscreen since before Halo 4 DLC... Is the map any good?

Booties

Banned
I don't get it.. Halo fans have been asking for adjustable aim assist settings, damage modifiers, etc. since 2004 and we have still yet to receive anything of the sort. What's the downside to giving players this sort of control?

Murder Miners has a lot of options to adjust aim settings (assist, magnetism, etc.) and it works great. I was hoping Halo 4 would have these things after Bungie refused to include them for so many years ;\

Halo with dedis and more custom game options all they need to be a big hit again. Make a basic game with standard settings and let the end user play it how they want. It's needed now more than it's ever been.

Fuchsdh

Halo with dedis and more custom game options all they need to be a big hit again. Make a basic game with standard settings and let the end user play it how they want. It's needed now more than it's ever been.

That might please a segment of the population but the vast majority of players don't go in and tune any settings, let alone with the control being asked for.

TheOddOne

That might please a segment of the population but the vast majority of players don't go in and tune any settings, let alone with the control being asked for.
Booties point, I think, was that giving more options will make people stick around much longer. There is not much fault in that logic, some will stay because of the features and others will appreciate those features–which will lead in the creation of even more sub-cultures. It’s a pretty win-win situation.

FyreWulff

I don't get it.. Halo fans have been asking for adjustable aim assist settings, damage modifiers, etc. since 2004 and we have still yet to receive anything of the sort. What's the downside to giving players this sort of control

Vastly increased testing surface area. Both Halo 3 and Halo 4 have broken UI options in them already, and that was with fixed settings. The fun just starts increasing when things get even more dynamic.

It would have been nice if they'd been able to patch in specific weapon damage settings for Halo 4 after the parameter hook update.

Booties

Banned

Booties point, I think, was that giving more options will make people stick around much longer. There is not much fault in that logic, some will stay because of the features and others will appreciate those features–which will lead in the creation of even more sub-cultures. It’s a pretty win-win situation.

Yes, this is basically what I meant. Counter strike is a good example of this. Of course I think that the base game needs to be better with less frills. Simply stated, go back to the roots of halo, simplified combat. It's what made the game a big success. Go back to that style while giving options for all the sub groups so they can play in the sandbox and you have a pretty well balanced game. Now making a base game is really subjective and harder than it sounds, but you are saved by the fact that there is this deep pool of options to satisfy everyone. Give dedicated servers and you don't have to manage 50 playlists to appease all these different groups.

Part of the fun in halo are the weird games and communities that sprout out of a silly game mode, but those aren't necessarily good for match making. I'm not sure how all this would work online, but it's an idea.

Just out of curiosity Fuchs, do you not see the benefit of having these customization tools even though on the surface it may only appeal to a small minority? I'm trying to understand the intent of your post. Are you suggesting that it's something insignificant that 343 shouldn't invest resources into for reasons you suggest?

The way I see it, games that have this level of customization allow for that small minority to use these features to create gametypes that bleed into the rest of the community. I think it would be in their best interest to focus resources on this to drastically extend the life of the next Halo game, also allowing for diversity that we haven't really seen in Halo multiplayer unless you were going through the trouble looking for them and tediously setting up Custom Games.
Yes, this is basically what I meant. Counter strike is a good example of this. Of course I think that the base game needs to be better with less frills. Simply stated, go back to the roots of halo, simplified combat. It's what made the game a big success. Go back to that style while giving options for all the sub groups so they can play in the sandbox and you have a pretty well balanced game. Now making a base game is really subjective and harder than it sounds, but you are saved by the fact that there is this deep pool of options to satisfy everyone. Give dedicated servers and you don't have to manage 50 playlists to appease all these different groups.

Part of the fun in halo are the weird games and communities that sprout out of a silly game mode, but those aren't necessarily good for match making. I'm not sure how all this would work online, but it's an idea.
Well said. It should also be noted that with these customization options and a CGB, 343 could see what people love to play and adjust Matchmaking (where you'd earn your "credits" and play ranked) to better suit those likes. For example, imagine how much better Halo 3 would've been had Bungie seen an overwhelming number of players adopting MLG's base settings (increased movement speed, etc.) for any given gametype in a CGB? A lot better IMO.

I can see a better Halo experience overall by providing the players with these tools.

Woorloog

Banned
Is RRRRAAAWWRR or something like that a HaloGAFer? EDIT oh, it's Nebula.
I've gotta a couple of things to do, i can play then.

Booties

Banned
Well said. It should also be noted that with these customization options and a CGB, 343 could see what people love to play and adjust Matchmaking (where you'd earn your "credits" and play ranked) to better suit those likes. For example, imagine how much better Halo 3 would've been had Bungie seen an overwhelming number of players adopting MLG's base settings (increased movement speed, etc.) for any given gametype in a CGB? A lot better IMO.

I can see a better Halo experience overall by providing the players with these tools.

I think tracking that information is smart, but I wouldn't apply it to the base game because that's when people get cranky. I think Halo 3 was the best because it brought the MLG community in to make a separate play list. A lot of work needs to be done to define what the social and competive/ranked playlists should be and how many should exist because if you bring MLG in for their own playlist, then you have to solicit requests from every single community. Again, I really don't know how to make all this work with dedis, but if you're going to do a playlist/hopper system again, make it more like Halo 3 and not 4 or reach.

Is RRRRAAAWWRR or something like that a HaloGAFer? EDIT oh, it's Nebula.
I've gotta a couple of things to do, i can play then.

image.php

Top Bottom