• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Madness

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Edit: So if one part of a leak is true, all of it must be true. Infallible logic.

I'd like to respond, the point is, several parts of Ntkrnl and his leaks have come true. Almost all of his hardware predictions came true, TitanFall bundle, larger HDD for later this year, possible white Xbox One version. Even the photo he posted of what the original TitanFall consoles would have looked like was perfectly accurate because MS delivered it to Respawn. This leads me to believe that while he was in possession of information, it may not have been accurate of the most recent decisions.

Look at just how he knew what Black Tusk's game was supposed to come called, look how into detail he went about a lot of things. Evidence is building that H2A is releasing this year. Why wouldn't Frankie or Ellis deny the rumors? Why did everyone from MS, guys like Phil Spencer, Major Nelson, everyone basically go dark for almost 24 hours and have never really acknowledged the leak at all? Sites like Kotaku have confirmed that MS is also trying to discern his identity. The only real question became, not whether he was lying, but whether it was a controlled leak(don't think it was).

At this point, I'd be more shocked we didn't get H2A this year and instead got something else Halo related. Maybe, and to keep this on topic, the Halo 3 and Halo 4 port was something that was discussed internally, like doing some kind of War chest collection, maybe it no longer made any sense to release 3 games at once in a sense. Who knows.

wwm0nkey

I'd like to respond, the point is, several parts of Ntkrnl and his leaks have come true. Almost all of his hardware predictions came true, TitanFall bundle, larger HDD for later this year, possible white Xbox One version. Even the photo he posted of what the original TitanFall consoles would have looked like was perfectly accurate because MS delivered it to Respawn. This leads me to believe that while he was in possession of information, it may not have been accurate of the most recent decisions.

Look at just how he knew what Black Tusk's game was supposed to come called, look how into detail he went about a lot of things. Evidence is building that H2A is releasing this year. Why wouldn't Frankie or Ellis deny the rumors? Why did everyone from MS, guys like Phil Spencer, Major Nelson, everyone basically go dark for almost 24 hours and have never really acknowledged the leak at all? Sites like Kotaku have confirmed that MS is also trying to discern his identity. The only real question became, not whether he was lying, but whether it was a controlled leak(don't think it was).

At this point, I'd be more shocked we didn't get H2A this year and instead got something else Halo related. Maybe, and to keep this on topic, the Halo 3 and Halo 4 port was something that was discussed internally, like doing some kind of War chest collection, maybe it no longer made any sense to release 3 games at once in a sense. Who knows.
Didn't have time to post reasons why it helps confirm it but you pretty much hit the nail on the head lol

Omni

Halo 4 is seriously the only game where I can go 30 and 4 and still feel like I was cheated the four times that I was killed

Craaaazy

I really can't handle jetpacks. It just ruins everything

Mistel

Banned
Halo 4 is seriously the only game where I can go 30 and 4 and still feel like I was cheated the four times that I was killed

Craaaazy

Pretty much me as well most of my deaths are cheap or god awful spawns that put me right out in the open. Snipers as ordinance are the bane of my btb matches, half a team racking up kills whilst at the back of ragnarok out of danger...

Fuchsdh

Well I wants a White XB1 so I can dream...

or at least a matte one, seriously Sony/MS, why would you go back to fingerprint magnets this gen.

I guess the issue I see with porting over all the previous Halo titles is that all their multiplayers would be graveyards, so would they just only allow custom games and LANs?

Also for whatever reason I've definitely been seeing more DLC maps in Halo 4 matchmaking. Hadn't played Outcast in a while.

Which prompts me: if you could swap out any three maps in Halo 4 for whatever maps (remakes, theoretically "better" new ones), which would they be? I think it'd be Wreckage, Outcast, and Vertigo--I know everyone hates on Complex but the aforementioned have the issues of being BTB maps that feel like a lot of stuff was just thrown into it rather than designed.

Quasi-related, I really like Perdition. Would be even better with assym gametypes.

Woorloog

Banned
Well I wants a White XB1 so I can dream...

or at least a matte one, seriously Sony/MS, why would you go back to fingerprint magnets this gen.

Do people touch their consoles that much? My 360 doesn't have finger prints despite being glossy. And it can be cleaned (do that while dusting the thing).

EDIT Maps to remove? Hmm. Vortex. Can't stand that map. Exile sucks too, was so much better with Gauss Hogs.

Fuchsdh

Do people touch their consoles that much? My 360 doesn't have finger prints despite being glossy. And it can be cleaned (do that while dusting the thing).

EDIT Maps to remove? Hmm. Vortex. Can't stand that map. Exile sucks too, was so much better with Gauss Hogs.

In the early days of Halo 4 I'd get into a Gauss Hog and just sit parked, sniping the other team as they came over the ridge over and over like it was the battle of the Somme and I was a German machinegunner.

My only objective complaints with Exile is that there's a large dead zone in the map that doesn't get any use, even when there's a tank on the map. Likewise with Vortex; if people aren't using the entire map it's probably the map's fault.

(And at least for me I tend to poke at my console a lot, move it around for LANs, etc. Even things like plugging in the wires can result in smudges and whatnot. At least the XB1 is only half glossy so you can avoid picking it up by that side, but I'd rather have any color besides black anyhow.)

Craaaazy

89% of the population complained about the lack of a 1-50 ranking system in Reach --> All signs of skill ranks removed in Halo 4.
99% of the population complained about the Jet Pack in Reach --> It returned in Halo 4.
100% of the population complained about the Camo AA --> It returned in Halo 4.

99% of the population loved the Grenade Launcher --> It was removed.
99% of the population loved the Chopper and Falcon --> It was removed.
99% of the population loved the CE Pistol during 2001-2004 --> It was removed.
99% of the population loved Mk. V's existence --> It was removed.
.. and they charged you for it later!

I think I'm onto something..

Woorloog

Banned
89% of the population complained about the lack of a 1-50 ranking system in Reach --> All signs of skill ranks removed in Halo 4.
99% of the population complained about the Jet Pack in Reach --> It returned in Halo 4.

I wonder if i'd like a Halo game designed by you. You often make good points but... I don't know, i fear you'd make something way too competitive. Or something. I don't know.
Would you include Chopper in a future Halo game?

The funny thing about Mark V in Halo 4 is that Art of Halo 4 includes it.
And that reminds me, i need to check it over again.

EDIT re: Exile. A standing Gauss Hog is really easy to kill, especially with the Turbo patch nerfing it slightly. Vanilla Gauss Hog was so awesome though, i remember getting like 40 kills with in once match, my friend had 40 Wheelman medals...

Mistel

Banned
Exile. A standing Gauss Hog is really easy to kill, especially with the Turbo patch nerfing it slightly. Vanilla Gauss Hog was so awesome though, i remember getting like 40 kills with in once match, my friend had 40 Wheelman medals...
The vanilla gauss hog and I could argue for the nerfed version have no place in match making they unbalanced combat on multiple levels.

I'd remove vertigo, meltdown, complex settler, wreckage and ragnarok mantis's and poor design everywhere...

Woorloog

Banned
Pretty good cover actually. Never seen that before.
And that avatar... me likes. Wouldn't mind having it, would be an upgrade over my current one (Halo 4 Mark VI) EDIT because i'm bored of my current one, and i've used Mark V and ODST Armor before.

I wonder if i'd like a Halo game designed by you. You often make good points but... I don't know, i fear you'd make something way too competitive. Or something. I don't know.
Would you include Chopper in a future Halo game?

The funny thing about Mark V in Halo 4 is that Art of Halo 4 includes it.
And that reminds me, i need to check it over again.

EDIT re: Exile. A standing Gauss Hog is really easy to kill, especially with the Turbo patch nerfing it slightly. Vanilla Gauss Hog was so awesome though, i remember getting like 40 kills with in once match, my friend had 40 Wheelman medals...
Sounds like you'd love a Halo game that caters to all types of crowds:
Halo_-_Combat_Evolved_(XBox_version_-_box_art).jpg

And to answer your question, yes, I <3 the Chopper and BTB in general, but I also love the competitive nature of 2v2's and 4v4's. Being diverse in the gametypes I play is part of my enjoyment of Halo. I tend to confuse people on forums because one minute I'm posting about how Halo needs to return to its competitive roots in CE, but then I agree with having to diversify the gametypes by not only having TS, CTF and barebones Halo for Matchmaking. What these different crowds fail to realize sometimes is that their ideal form of Halo doesn't have to be mutually exclusive from other crowds; there is a lot of overlap. As long as you have a solid foundation of gameplay mechanics, the rest falls into place a little easier.

I feel like I have a very good understanding of this franchise because as a player, I can empathize with all types of crowds and I've always had a grasp on how to propel this franchise forward. Been around since the beginning and I'll never give up posting about this franchise. I feel like many issues can be prevented as long as we're all communicating our wishes effectively and are aware of what works best for Halo (ie: sound-based radar over motion tracker for MM), fans and Halo devs alike.

Communication and awareness are key -- always have been, always will be. Smash and Halo <3

Woorloog

Banned
Halo CE? Meh. Don't like it (that much). Hell, i didn't bother finishing my Legendary replay of it. EDIT i won't got into detail about why i don't like Halo CE that much in this thread. And i'm pretty sure i've done that before. Single-player-wise anyway, if not MP. Halo PC MP was a tad different from the console version after all.

That said, i don't like Halo 4 that much either. Replace AAs with equipment (want my Trip Mine back) and give us some good maps and it would be good actually (as it is, i still prefer Halo 4 over Reach). Then replace Sprint with faster movement and it is even better (i wouldn't mind keeping Sprint in campaign though, even with fast movement).

Of course, my view is somewhat... biased, flawed, because i tend to think Halo purely in terms of BTB. Take vehicles away from Halo and you take away what makes it so great as far as i'm concerned, the perfect integration of vehicles and infantry combat (Battlefield series doesn't offer such a superbly seamless integration of them like Halo does). Halo 4 vehicles and BTB are still very fun despite the vehicles being fucked up with their limited health and over-abundance of power weapons, plasma grenades and plasma pistols.

BTW, where did Team Slayer (playlist) with vehicles go? I'm not sure about Halo 2 but Halo 3 had 8-10 player maps with vehicles (Standoff, Last Resort). Reach and Halo 4 have no such maps (except perhaps Harvest but it should be a BTB map due to its size).

And an odd thing about Halo 4 i dislike: Not everything got a visual overhaul. Ghosts and Wraiths still look like they used to be, as do Hunters and some weapons and other stuff. Why did some things get visual overhaul but not some?
I'm kind of a "all or nothing" guy so this bothers me. Overall i'm satisfied with the Halo 4 visuals.
(Sound is okay but could be better, especially plasma weapons and Rocket Launcher and machine guns).

belushy

Banned

Totally forgot that Game Of The Year edition was a thing.

BlueBlur1 is cringing somewhere.

Hey I'ma do this. I'd totally be fine with getting Halo 4 for free. Got Gold again recently but nothing to play really.

edit: Lol they didn't even say how to enter.

edit: Oh nevermind, their previous tweet was the enter tweet.

Woorloog

Banned
Do colors not count as design then? I'd rather that we didn't have those design changes to anything.

Colors have changed before. No, they don't count as far i'm concerned.
As i said, all or nothing. Either make slight changes at most like before (i wouldn't expected them not to do any changes), or redo everything. This mix Halo 4 has... i'm not a fan. It feels odd, wrong.

Halo 4 Sticky Detonator + Assault on Headlong = #bodyready for that reimagined Halo 4 port

Honestly, whatever Halo game comes out this year I'll be ready for it. I can see the positives of both sides, but ideally I think I'd like that Halo 4 port over a direct remake as long as they update it accordingly. As it stands, this is what I'm hoping for (in order):
  1. H2A single player with a standalone Halo multiplayer service taking the best aspects of each game to create one focused experience.
  2. Halo 4 port updated up the wazoo --> The reason I want this is because there have been some great additions since then that could work well on Halo 2 maps.
  3. H2A with a remade multiplayer exactly as it was --> If this, hopefully they'll lower the aim assist and increase the movement speed.
As long as a solid Halo experience comes out this year I'll be happy. Then Halo 5 can be released Summer 2015 because big titles usually don't have as much competition during that time, allowing Halo to capitalize on the multiplayer front ;] -- Seriously, we need more big title multiplayer games released in the Summer that are repackaged as a bundle with added content during the holidays if they want to push more units.

Booties

Banned
Halo needs faster movement acceleration. Fast strafing in Halo 4 is completely useless, just end up standing still.

This would be a huge improvement and raise the skill bar for all players.

Ummmmm I'm pretty sure Karl wrote his phd thesis on how the pro-pipe wasn't that popular of a weapon in matchmaking or among HaloGAFers. I loved it, I miss it, and I think they should have kept it, but 343 wanted the sticky det to help put their stamp on the franchise. Hell. it was in the teaser trailer.

I do miss the falcon. Halo 3 BTB was the best BTB.

This would be a huge improvement and raise the skill bar for all players.

Ummmmm I'm pretty sure Karl wrote his phd thesis on how the pro-pipe wasn't that popular of a weapon in matchmaking or among HaloGAFers. I loved it, I miss it, and I think they should have kept it, but 343 wanted the sticky det to help put their stamp on the franchise. Hell. it was in the teaser trailer.

It didn't help that we got kicked in the dick when Frankie said the Sticky Det had an alt-fire mode equivalent to the Grenade Launcher that ultimately never happened.

Mistel

Banned
Colors have changed before. No, they don't count as far i'm concerned.
As i said, all or nothing. Either make slight changes at most like before (i wouldn't expected them not to do any changes), or redo everything. This mix Halo 4 has... i'm not a fan. It feels odd, wrong.
I don't mind minor changes but I dislike the lot of major ones that occurred in 4 just because they could.

Karl was quickly shot down with that post because all he focused on was the cold hard stats instead of considering the entire picture. For example, not placing the Grenade Launcher in spots where there's absolutely 0 combat flow (ie: the shower of Powerhouse).
It didn't help that we got kicked in the dick when Frankie said the Sticky Det had an alt-fire mode equivalent to the Grenade Launcher that ultimately never happened.
Proof.

Booties

Banned
Karl was quickly shot down with that post because all he focused on was the cold hard stats instead of considering the entire picture. For example, not placing the Grenade Launcher in spots where there's absolutely 0 combat flow (ie: the shower of Powerhouse).

Proof.

The powerhouse placement was terrible, and that's what you get for reusing maps from the campaign, but lots of maps had it in easily accessible spots. For example, the cage or whatever it was called had it and it was right by the first team. It's not just map placement fault, there was something about the weapon that didn't draw players to it. People just wanna snipe and shoot rockets bro.

A more interesting comparison would be between the halo 2 brute shot, the halo 3 brute shot, the pro-pipe, the sticky det, and the halo reach/4 concussion rifle. The brute shot wasn't good at killing people so I don't expect that to beat anything. The halo 4 concussion rifle seems stronger, but the reach one may have more kills because of how ridiculous jet pack is.

Remember when we thought Halo 4 goty edition would have a second disc to play/DL the map packs, but we got paper weight instead?

Pepper ridge farm remembers.

Chettlar

Banned

I think we'll find out later this month. ntkrnl seemed pretty confident in what he said:

I'd probably just wait for stuff to get confirmed for now. Gonna take a while.

I'm gonna get a sandwich. Maybe go get drunk.

So if all this doesn't materialize, I doubt we'll see him again.

For example, the cage or whatever it was called had it and it was right by the first team.
But who the heck played The Cage? lol And by the way, it was used a lot when that map was played; fun ass weapon on a map like that.
It's not just map placement fault
I agree. It could've used a slightly larger radius so it wouldn't have required such precision and been more effective as an AoE weapon.
there was something about the weapon that didn't draw players to it. People just wanna snipe and shoot rockets bro.
I disagree. How many people have you actually witnessed with your own eyes complain about the Grenade Launcher being too difficult to use (the main fault against it according to 343) or just generally disliking it?

Nebula

How about we use all that lovely memory given to us by the new gen and include MORE WEAPONS! Hell even this Halo 4 port might be able to support new guns.

How about we use all that lovely memory given to us by the new gen and include MORE WEAPONS! Hell even this Halo 4 port might be able to support new guns.

Burst pistol
Semi automatic shotgun
Multiple firerates for primary weapons
Six Round Grenade Launcher

A Stun or EMP counter AA covenant grenade

Booties

Banned
But who the heck played The Cage? lol And by the way, it was used a lot when that map was played; fun ass weapon on a map like that.

I agree. It could've used a slightly larger radius so it wouldn't have required such precision and been more effective as an AoE weapon.

I disagree. How many people have you actually witnessed with your own eyes complain about the Grenade Launcher being too difficult to use (the main fault against it according to 343) or just generally disliking it?

There were like 4 variations of the cage, I would think it was one of the most played halo reach maps, but I don't have any numbers in front of me to confirm

That last point has nothing to do with what I said at all. People just like the rocket launcher and sniper rifle more. Grenade launchers are always ancillary weapons in FPSs. Even in COD it goes unused a lot. My point has nothing to do with difficulty. It's just peoples' perception of fun.

Booties

Banned
Wouldn't even need a grenade launcher if they made grenades the way they did in halo 3 and made smooth surfaces for bouncing them better they way they did in halo 2. RIP pro-pipe.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd be a god with Gauss gun if i had a competent driver...

EDIT and i fucking hate king of the hill. Who the fucktard put it in BTB? It is a frigging action sack/FFA mode, not BTB.

Woorloog

Banned
Sorry but the gravity in vehicles is really bad since reach.

I've seen competent drivers in Reach and Halo 4. Gravity has nothing to do with that skill. Sure, vehicles are fucked compared to glorious things they were in Halo 4 but they're still okay. With competent drivers who are rare...

There were like 4 variations of the cage, I would think it was one of the most played halo reach maps, but I don't have any numbers in front of me to confirm
Is this you just thinking this or do you have something substantial to provide?
That last point has nothing to do with what I said at all. People just like the rocket launcher and sniper rifle more. Grenade launchers are always ancillary weapons in FPSs. Even in COD it goes unused a lot. My point has nothing to do with difficulty.
Of course it's related because you said something about that weapon not lending itself well to players, which I'm challenging by asking if you're just listening to what 343 tells you or are you witnessing these things with your own eyes (people actually complaining about the weapon being crap and how it should be removed from future Halo games, which in reality we've all seen the opposite..)?

Also, one huge area you're failing to acknowledge here is that the Grenade Launcher has other uses than just killing people, something many other people pointed out when those "stats" were broken out. It has an EMP, so it's used to stop vehicles and strip shields. It can be triggered manually so you can use it to lock down positions. It requires a level of finesse to it because you have to lead your shots and take into account map geometry, so when you land a difficult shot it feels very rewarding. The list continues as to why the Grenade Launcher deserves a spot in the weapon sandbox and it's strange to see people defend something that doesn't tell the entire story, in this case those stats being the main reason as to why it was removed instead of improved.

Improve > Remove
It's just peoples' perception of fun.
And I'll challenge this by asking you again what people? Who? Where are you seeing people saying that the Grenade Launcher isn't a fun weapon to use? Because all I've ever seen was how shocked people were to see one of the best inclusions in Reach get axed for Halo 4.

Wouldn't even need a grenade launcher if they made grenades the way they did in halo 3 and made smooth surfaces for bouncing them better they way they did in halo 2. RIP pro-pipe.
Halo 3 'nades were garbage and should never return IMO. CE grenades on the other hand.. Powerful, longer fuse time, bouncy -> effective grenades. Combine that with a faster, more responsive strafe, a jump height that actually feels like a jump (unlike Reach's abysmal jump, sluggish walk speed + crazy strong grenades), and faster movement speed. Also, possible Thrusters B]

Top Bottom