• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Ghazi

FUBAR was on and he didn't invite me?

tumblr_inline_mnbfxdMn0S1qz4rgp.gif

To me a better goal is to focus on maps that can't easily be remade in Forge, either the current iteration or whatever comes in the future. People can make Lockout in their sleep these days, but Relic is essentially impossible in the current version.
I mostly agree. A map like lockout can be easily remade in forge (and has been countless times) and still retain both it's design and aesthetic (in Halo Reach, the forge versions of lockout not only played and functioned like lockout, but they also looked just like the halo 2 version minus the snowy backdrop). The focus should be more on maps that can't be functionally remade in forge, but I do think that maps which can't be aesthetically remade in forge should also get a fair remake treatment (for example there were some pretty good remakes of the Pitt in Reach, but they didn't look like the pit at all even though functionally and design wise they played very similarly). Maps like Relic and, my personal favorite, Beaver Creek (which has already been remade a handful of times) obviously also just can't be made in forge without cutting corners so those are obvious candidates too.

Omni

A summary of my teammates today: the kind of people who rush to sniper only to waste 4 bullets on the same hologram.
:lol

Last few nights I've actually been falling for that hologram. Would never waste more than one shot, but it happens... especially since so few people actually bother to use it that it's the last thing on your mind in the middle of a firefight

Random17

Sorry if this is old news (I just heard about it now) but the new Halo Escalation summaries
confirm Spirit of Fire is back.

http://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Escalation

As a more campaign/lore oriented player, Halo Escalation and Spartan Ops are awful.

It's depressing knowing that the same guys who played a part in making the Forerunner Saga (specifically books 1 and 3), Halo Evolutions, Halo Legends and even Halo 4's vanilla Campaign (only when you play it with EU knowledge) also produced... this.

Halo's Extended Universe has had its ups and downs, but it has never been this awful. Even the Traviss trilogy, with all its issues, is not as bad as this.

On another note, I liked Halo 4's campaign story a lot more than my impression of the general consensus on GAF, but I absolutely agree with you guys about the fact that the writing style, story elements, and the visual quality are incredibly subpar in Halo Escalation.

They really should have left the SOF out of the new canon. Unnecessarily bringing back old concepts is not a good sign, unless there is a PC version of Halo Wars 2 done right.

Omni

Not even gonna bother with "Proving Ground".

I've found home in the regular CTF playlist and have no desire branching out. It'll probably just make me annoyed at the game if it turns out to be bad

Omni

Lost about 7 games in a row because of shitty teammates. Enough to drive anyone crazy. Doesn't even matter if I back out at the end of every game and search again either

Edit. Make that 8. We're gonna lose this one too (though admittedly these guys are good). Still freaking ridiculous though. *rage quits*

Dub117

How could Titanfall make people expect the next Halo? Does not compute.
I just have a lot of fun playing it, and it is just making me want Halo on X1. Something about the Titan combat reminds me of Halo, it is just making an itch I really want to scratch.

Mistel

Banned
One thing bugs me about proving ground, is why would you not have launched it from the get go? If only it wasn't done at the end of the games life span, it might have been interesting to play with a larger population.

Woorloog

Banned
One thing bugs me about proving ground, is why would you not have launched it from the get go? If only it wasn't done at the end of the games life span, it might have been interesting to play with a larger population.

Why didn't the game have turbo settings from the launch? Why didn't it have Objective modes in BTB from the launch? Why didn't it have... uh, what it didn't have...

The weapon tunning tooks months to be released after its announcement in a hotfix..

343i obviously had a vision for multiplayer.

That vision was really, really dumb.

Unfortunately that was only apparent to them too late, and there's only so much you can patch after you ship an engine. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that the "sustain team" is probably the C-team, since you would probably want your best talent working on your major project which is always the next game. I mean, a Legendary AR playlist... seriously?

343i obviously had a vision for multiplayer.

That vision was really, really dumb.

Unfortunately that was only apparent to them too late, and there's only so much you can patch after you ship an engine. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that the "sustain team" is probably the C-team, since you would probably want your best talent working on your major project which is always the next game. I mean, a Legendary AR playlist... seriously?

Yeah, I think we need to let it go at this point. Let it all resurface the moment we see a Camo AA though.

Yeah, I think we need to let it go at this point. Let it all resurface the moment we see a Camo AA though.

Yeah, looking forward with the new people they've hired (Torshi, Egglet, etc) and what they've tried to implement lately (Top 200, partially marginalizing Infinity) I'm pretty optimistic for Halo: Next Halo.

I really want to read Halo 4's postmortem on Gamasutra, even though that'll never happen.

Chettlar

Banned
In a way, I'm started to feel conflicted about something that previously seemed perfectly obvious.

Halo 4 was designed a certain way. Not in a good way -- or at least, not a good halo way -- but yeah, it was designed a certain way. Balanced, designed, etc. All that. 343 obviously have some talent. They aren't dumb. It's not like they didn't know anything. Like Eugh said they had a vision.

The problem is, yeah, it was dumb. At least not Halo. So the obvious thing seems like to fix it, right? Put it right back to what Halo was.

But see now I'm not so sure about that. These maps, power of the weapons, all that are designed around the new Infinity style of play. If you change back to classic halo, superior as it may be, you have to re-balance everything. Personally, I'd totally go for it, but I'm not a developer and I honestly don't know what that all involves.

In other words, all this new stuff that 343 has been adding to Halo 4 has been perceived as worse (and maybe it is. not really relevant to this particular point), but see, I'm starting to maybe see it as them trying to play to the strengths of what they already have. They don't want classic Halo in Halo 4 because that means new everything.

And new everything sounds like...a new Halo game maybe?

In other words, at very least, I'm saying that all the perks and things 343 has been adding to Halo 4 are not necessarily indicitive to what we will see going forward. We might still see Infinity style play in Halo 5 (plsnotH2AplsnotH2A), but right now, I don't think we really know, at least not based on that. For right now, they're just trying to patch up Halo 4. In Halo 5, since things need to be begun anew, I mean hey, maybe we have a chance at more traditional gametypes.

Idk, just something that's been tickling across my brain. Kinda bouncing an idea off the wall.

EDIT: blech, longer than I wanted.

Nebula

It's the same issue as Reach. 343 have left it to late and now they risk alienating the people that still play the game while attempting to bring those who left back to the game. It's a big move to make, and one I'd personally go for because if you fail to bring those people back, at least you would have shown them that you're willing to make changes. It might make them look into purchasing the next game.

Also that awesome clip I hit earlier: http://youtu.be/DCqEPHiusTc

Awesome to me anyway!

Woorloog

Banned
It's the same issue as Reach. 343 have left it to late and now they risk alienating the people that still play the game while attempting to bring those who left back to the game. It's a big move to make, and one I'd personally go for because if you fail to bring those people back, at least you would have shown them that you're willing to make changes. It might make them look into purchasing the next game.

Also that awesome clip I hit earlier: http://youtu.be/DCqEPHiusTc

Awesome to me anyway!

You're utterly insane to do that. You don't deserve that luck... I mean, what the fuck, you just reverse and run over three guys, who, what had spawned behind you? Besides, how come they were stupid enough not to kill you? (Meleeing a speeding Mongoose driver is damn fun by the way)
(My luck in Halo 3 Rumble Pit was insane though, i won Oddball often through sheer luck and audacity (cross open areas, attack firefights, stuff like that))

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've said it before and I still feel the same - Halo with Titanfall movement sounds incredible. Maybe tone it down a bit though.

Woorloog

Banned
I've said it before and I still feel the same - Halo with Titanfall movement sounds incredible. Maybe tone it down a bit though.

Parkour, wall running or whatever it is Titanfall has? (I don't know anything about the game really, my interested in Titanfall lasted two seconds, when it started when i saw a space battle in the reveal trailer, and then it died when i saw the ground combat and art)

When i played Crysis 2, i thought the nanosuited soldiers ability to grab ledges and slide would be neat in Halo. I mean, Spartans can back flip and jump over enemies with easy, maneuvers like sliding would add to the feel of agility, speed and power, if they're done well (must be fast to execute, perhaps allow shooting while doing such moves).

Nebula

You're utterly insane to do that. You don't deserve that luck... I mean, what the fuck, you just reverse and run over three guys, who, what had spawned behind you? Besides, how come they were stupid enough not to kill you? (Meleeing a speeding Mongoose driver is damn fun by the way)
(My luck in Halo 3 Rumble Pit was insane though, i won Oddball often through sheer luck and audacity (cross open areas, attack firefights, stuff like that))

I don't deserve it, especially after what Stormtrooper has seen. I'm getting ridiculous amounts of luck.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't deserve it, especially after what Stormtrooper has seen. I'm getting ridiculous amounts of luck.

Remember that luck is a zero-sum thing. Good luck will be balanced by bad.
I'm lucky in certain things in Halo, but i lose it when it comes to my team mates, who are usually so bad.

In a way, I'm started to feel conflicted about something that previously seemed perfectly obvious.

Halo 4 was designed a certain way. Not in a good way -- or at least, not a good halo way -- but yeah, it was designed a certain way. Balanced, designed, etc. All that. 343 obviously have some talent. They aren't dumb. It's not like they didn't know anything. Like Eugh said they had a vision.

The problem is, yeah, it was dumb. At least not Halo. So the obvious thing seems like to fix it, right? Put it right back to what Halo was.

But see now I'm not so sure about that. These maps, power of the weapons, all that are designed around the new Infinity style of play. If you change back to classic halo, superior as it may be, you have to re-balance everything. Personally, I'd totally go for it, but I'm not a developer and I honestly don't know what that all involves.

In other words, all this new stuff that 343 has been adding to Halo 4 has been perceived as worse (and maybe it is. not really relevant to this particular point), but see, I'm starting to maybe see it as them trying to play to the strengths of what they already have. They don't want classic Halo in Halo 4 because that means new everything.

And new everything sounds like...a new Halo game maybe?

In other words, at very least, I'm saying that all the perks and things 343 has been adding to Halo 4 are not necessarily indicitive to what we will see going forward. We might still see Infinity style play in Halo 5 (plsnotH2AplsnotH2A), but right now, I don't think we really know, at least not based on that. For right now, they're just trying to patch up Halo 4. In Halo 5, since things need to be begun anew, I mean hey, maybe we have a chance at more traditional gametypes.

Idk, just something that's been tickling across my brain. Kinda bouncing an idea off the wall.

EDIT: blech, longer than I wanted.
Well the important thing now is that they've tested the good and bad variables of what functioned in Halo 4 MP (their "vision") so that, wishful thinking, Halo 5 MP won't be as bad as what Reach or 4 came to be.. But Reach for me was a memorable and fun experience.

What blows my damn mind us that there's a small group of people that want more canon involved with MP and to have 64 players lol

Woorloog

Banned
At this point I really shouldn't be surprised that you can do that, but you're really lucky for that sort of stuff. I'm only good with the flying stuff and a wraith.

What Wraith? (BTW, 343i, make sure the plasma bolt from the plasma mortar is blue and big, not that lame thing like it is in Halo 4)

Chettlar

Banned
See, Titanfall style movement and things (plus the mech/pilot dynamic) could work really well with Halo, I think, without changing the core gameplay. The core "everybody starts the same. Everybody knows the rules. Best person comes out on top but everybody has fun" could still be preserved with something as simple as wall running (maybe not jet packs. maybe, but then wall running could suffer without that).

That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily damage core Halo gameplay, it adds to it, accenting core classic Halo gameplay.

Perks, uneven starts, cloaking, and things like surviving a vehicle explosion (while others around you may very well not) are things that are the antithesis to that.

I'm not saying I want Mechs in Halo, but I am saying there are somethings you can do to add to classic Halo gameplay that don't necessarily harm it. Not all "improvements" are created equal.

Mistel

Banned
What Wraith? (BTW, 343i, make sure the plasma bolt from the plasma mortar is blue and big, not that lame thing like it is in Halo 4)
There was one on vortex I'm sure of it right at launch and most heavies maps had it.

Heavies should replace infinity btb.

Woorloog

Banned
There was one in Heavies but that's long gone. More Wraith is definitely needed.

Indeed. Replace most Mantises and Scorpions with Wraiths (assuming the vehicle is balanced in Halo 4, it has been so long time since i drove one i can't recall. In Reach and Halo 3 it certainly was balanced compared to the Scorpion).
Throw the rest out completely, replace with Ghosts or Warthogs (Gauss/Rocket in the maps without them, while perhaps even better than tanks in hands of a coordinated team, on average they're merely good but not as good as one tank).

There was one on vortex I'm sure of it right at launch and most heavies maps had it.

Heavies should replace infinity btb.

I'm aware of Halo 4 having had a Wraith or two. It doesn't have now. Unfortunately.
No heavies, ever. Just get rid of Infinity Slayer, add Wraiths.

Top Bottom