• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

If I may, mightn't that just have something to do with the Halo 4 population at large?
I also has to do with CSR, which doesn't work all the time but is still there. I suspect FUNKNOWN doesn't take BTB very CEriously so his trueskill is relatively low.

A fortress of death? my Spanish is awful but wouldn't it be a ridge instead?
The ridge is a ridge of death is significantly less poetic. I want to know if I had the right form of muerte, though. Kame!

I don't understand why you guys constantly play BTB. It's terrible. Then you come on here and complain about BTB.

Play TS FFS.

We had a full party last night. We weren't playing BTB. We still played Settler a few times against our will. Everything I mentioned played out, usually in our favor, even against decent opponents. FUNK/Woor are simply delusional and that's all I'll say on the topic.

Also, who gives a shit if you can run a warthog around if it doesn't make a difference in the outcome? We still had the weapons and positioning. The other team's hog was able to get to our base (in the case of flag), but it didn't matter. Hear these words: IT LITERALLY DIDN'T MATTER. Even if/when they got the flag, we had their entire side of the map locked down. People in the hog survived until they tried to come home and had to go through our team, which was already keeping their team trapped otherwise. They did not score. Wooooo hhhoooo ya hogs r da solution!!!

It is the key to enjoying Halo 4... Fun games last night, always nice to have a full party. ¡Hola Kame!

What I learned this page is that FUNKNOWN has only played complete morons on Settler. Ridge is a fortaleza de muerte (sp?).

We had a full party last night. We weren't playing BTB. We still played Settler a few times against our will. Everything I mentioned played out, usually in our favor, even against decent opponents. FUNK/Woor are simply delusional and that's all I'll say on the topic.

Also, who gives a shit if you can run a warthog around if it doesn't make a difference in the outcome? We still had the weapons and positioning. The other team's hog was able to get to our base (in the case of flag), but it didn't matter. Hear these words: IT LITERALLY DIDN'T MATTER. Even if/when they got the flag, we had their entire side of the map locked down. People in the hog survived until they tried to come home and had to go through our team, which was already keeping their team trapped otherwise. They did not score. Wooooo hhhoooo ya hogs r da solution!!!

You guys must have some really one-sided games.. I have never once felt overpowered in Halo 4 and this is coming from the guy who loves to STAY IN THE GAME with GOOD PLAYERS, unlike you who doesn't, and you like to sit on the last cap for more kills. You enjoy crapping on newbs while I enjoy sticking with good players, so maybe our experiences are different for that.

We're just different kinds of players it seems.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't understand why you guys constantly play BTB. It's terrible. Then you come on here and complain about BTB.

Play TS FFS.

Everyone here who plays BTB probably likes vehicles. Or they play it because it has, a lot of population and fast MM.
Team Slayer has no vehicles, haven't had since Halo 3 (aside from perhaps one or two map exceptions, Halo 3 had quite many smaller maps with vehicles).
Give us a playlist that has many maps that work well with 4v4/5v5 and also include vehicles... Ignoring that Halo 4 doesn't actually have such maps... (BTB maps are almost always too big).
BTW, is Settler available in Team Slayer?

-snip-

You know, big party vs no/small parties is not representative of the map*. Any map. (Sorry for my presumption it wasn't against a full party, and if it was, see footnote)
As long as you have randoms vs randoms, no parties, the map usually works fine, and so do Warthogs. Any team with enough coordination to lock down a part of a map... well, it is Halo, is it not?
Now i never said Settler is perfect, i think my wording was "It might not be that good but it is fun". It sure has some idiotic imbalanced design... (The cave is rather defensible, and the other side lacks equal location, the ridge is better for shooting one side of the map, and as noted, one side has easier time getting the Incinerator Cannon...

Everything i say is based on my experience, naturally.

*Does the MM priorities party vs party. or party vs similarly skilled players if similarly skilled large party is not possible? Better players beat worse players even if both have coordination, a coordinated party likely beats non-coordinated equal players.
A lot of Halo 4's (and Reach's) issues are, IMO, derived from too lax skill matching.
(Also, aren't HaloGAFers in general rather above average players?)

You guys must have some really one-sided games.. I have never once felt overpowered in Halo 4 and this is coming from the guy who loves to STAY IN THE GAME with GOOD PLAYERS, unlike you who doesn't, and you like to sit on the last cap for more kills. You enjoy crapping on newbs while I enjoy sticking with good players, so maybe our experiences are different for that.

We always stay in the game, nor do we back out in the lobby based on stat checking. No idea where that came from. I think I did rage quit last weekend when we had 30 seconds left, but I'm not sure that really counts for this. And bad things happen to bad players when we play against them, it's true.

Look at your Big Team CSR and that of XBLYourExWife/YourExWife and I. I really don't think you've been playing the same class of people as us.

What in the actual fuck? I probably have one of the lowest quit rates of anyone who has played the game. If I play "better" people, that's fine. If I play "newbs" that's fine. I don't control matchmaking and I'd rather play the game that I get than wait for however many minutes for a new match.

OK - this response is much more reasonable and I'm sorry I lumped you in with the other bullshit that was being thrown around.

We always stay in the game, nor do we back out in the lobby based on stat checking. No idea where that came from. I think I did rage quit last weekend when we had 30 seconds left, but I'm not sure that really counts for this. And bad things happen to bad players when we play against them, it's true.

Look at your Big Team CSR and that of XBLYourExWife/YourExWife and I. I really don't think you've been playing the same class of people as us.

Beat me to the punch (I don't even rage quit). Although, to be fair, BTB CSR is individual based, so that means slightly less. But it also means that I'm doing well even against full teams that I'm not donging on, so I'd say his whole theory is bullshit.

Let's not forget that, when I had a chance to play during its initial season, I was proactively playing *the only playlist that matched based on skill* which was Team Slayer (which is apparently changing soon). High 40's in that list and missed out on 50 only because I didn't play enough games (it took so damn many). Never backed out in lobby like everyone in the top 200 that I played and beat. Never quit in game. No objective holding in slayer.

I think the bigger point here is that a map's quality shouldn't be judged by gameplay with randoms or people who aren't playing seriously or griefing or whatever. It should be judged by how exploitable it is (usually in conjunction with infinity shenanigans) by people who know what they're doing. Those are the people who are going to ruin your matchmaking experience, not the randoms that try their best to do so (at least for Devo they do apparently :) ).

Here is my analysis on the play styles and likelihood of backing out of a game when it comes to ExWife and Prinz Eugn. I have established a working relationship with both of them and have extensive experience with their playing habits and Halo lifestyles.

ExWife and Eugn never back out of games no matter what. It doesn't matter if they're going negative - which is about as likely as seeing Miley Cyrus getting an actual phat ass, if they're losing by 40 - which does happen every once in a while but only when I'm playing with them distracting them with stories of Off-Topic, or if their teammates are 0-30 - which happens all the time when da King FUBAR is with 'em, they don't give a fuck. They stay and truck through it and complain a little bit but stay in there and let their lesser teammates die over and over and over and over and over with no solace or hope of getting out of hell early.

They laugh at people who are sub 1.5K/DR and simply say things like "Oh that guy has 25,000 kills and three deaths? okay this should be fun." "Oh, FUBAR, you are only +1400 kills and we're going to face a full party full of guys whose worst K/D is 2.3? Don't die to much hehehe".

It's like entering a game with ancient Greek gods on one team and their ancestral titan fathers on the other team and then I'm sitting there as a damn goat herder in the mountains of bumfuck nowhere and they're expecting me not to shit my pants and instead contribute to the team in meaningful ways. Ha! Yeah right!

Every night we play together I get thrust into scenarios no ordinary player should ever have to experience.

I get in a 3v1 fight and rightfully die(as would 95% of the rest of the Halo population) and ExWife will be like "Oh fubar you didn't take down all three guys or even get any of them down to one shot? Here let me do it right while singing Mulan and playing Borderlands with my other hand and drinking whiskey out of a straw with one eye closed and the other watching my twitch stream making sure my upload speed is as high as it should be and I've got Geo Wars 2 on my other Xbox in my other room getting another high score shitting on the entire world mmkay"

and then Eugn's just going "Oh fubar it's okay. You'll do alright here stay back here and watch as I do this crazy shit and kill four guys with two BR bursts while tweeting back and forth with Kittens and Ghazi and explaining complex strategies of minecraft with my wife and elevating her game with new awesome techniques I learned thanks to my extensive stays in Mexico learning fluent Spanish so I can talk to Kame and laugh at fubar in spanish and he'll have no idea what we're saying and then tell him that we were just talking about the geography of Mexico". DONT LIE MARK I KNOW THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING

And if that doesn't convince you, look up the quality of players that Kame assassinates every game. He never backs down from an opportunity to ninja the entire team while giggling like the madman he is.

<3 Halo gaf

holy shit dat post...

9yf8oSa.gif

Kame and I have plenty of tequila for everyone!

What in the actual fuck? I probably have one of the lowest quit rates of anyone who has played the game.
I never said you quit games, but I figured you knew what I was talking about since I've brought this up to you before. As far as Settler, I guess we're just having far different experiences from different perspectives.
ExWife and Eugn never back out of games no matter what.
You misunderstood what I meant by backing out. If I get dominated by a team, I want to play more games against that team. That's all I was saying.

You misunderstood what I meant by backing out. If I get dominated by a team, I want to play more games against that team. That's all I was saying.

I never said you quit games, but I figured you knew what I was talking about since I've brought this up to you before.

Haha I was just being a goof.

And if I get dominated I shit and quit faster than you could say chicken because I personally don't really like it.

Unless ExWife is yelling at me the whole time for not going after the guy with the flag even though I am entirely out of ammunition and wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Then I stay around hoping to get dominatrix'd.

I never said you quit games, but I figured you knew what I was talking about since I've brought this up to you before. As far as Settler, I guess we're just having far different experiences from different perspectives.

You have an issue with objective holding. So what? What does that have to do with anything in this conversation?

And don't do that agree to disagree horseshit. Its such a stupid copout when there is no counterargument to make. Bringing up play styles/habits isn't an argument against factual statements regarding outcomes.

I don't mind saying that I enjoy a good spawn kill every now and then. We had one during our couple dozen games last night. But it's no fun when you don't have to earn it or if it comes down to chance encounters, like Shittler encourages.

I don't mind playing good teams if my team is actually trying and putting in their best. That's loads of fun. The only time I've gotten dominated in my experiences playing Halo with you as well as your friends was either a shitty connection issue or I was playing with a group of "buzzed" individuals who just happened to be playing Halo at the same time (and rarely are "trying" or "caring"). Why would I want to waste my time with that shit when nothing good will come of it, least of all improvement? I should note that I don't have a problem with people enjoying themselves or not being serious or whatever. But if those times we played are the basis of your objection, then the whole absurd notion falls flat on its glazed-over, red-eyed face.

And don't do that agree to disagree horseshit. Its such a stupid copout when there is no counterargument to make. Bringing up play styles/habits isn't an argument against factual statements regarding outcomes.
I don't know what else you expect me to say. You've said your piece, I've said mine. We're both good at Halo, and we're both experiencing different things lol

I think it'd be alright in this situation to "agree to disagree."

U wot m8? Agree to disagree is the new hug it out.

I have a BS in geographization so I know maps. I have been druinking.

Settler is dumb as is, and the thing is it wouldn't take much to fix it. There needs to be another route to the top of the ridge, and power weapons need to be moved farther away. If there was a teleporter from shotgun or a covered mancannon up to the top it wouldn't matter as much. Highlands in Reach. Longbow. They did that, and they don't play like the inside of an iron maiden (not the band). As is, routes to the top are too funneled and are easily exploited by the power weapons that spawn too conveniently. The ridge also has good cover, so it's easy to drop behind the rocks if you get weak and let a teammate finish the melting. Approaches to the ridge do not have good cover. It's like the Somme: Halo style and since I do not role play Spartan Sir Douglas Haig in matchmaking this is a bad thing. Warthogs are fucked because of Infinity, and even if it isn't Infinity the decent anti-vehicle power weapons spawn right there. Others have said this. Only derps, morons, idiots, and hybrids thereof can lose ridge after the initial push.

This is beyond super mega red-giant sun sized obvious.

Choosing to get wrecked again by a better team is unrelated to these things.

EDIT: if anyone wants to do UNSC/WWI crossover fanfiction my fee is all the money you have, you idiot

Omni

That ridiculous riot 'hardlight' shield thing has really got on my nerves tonight.

What a stupid god damn idea. Egh

PNut

Banned
Hahaha you guys still play Halo 4, and chat about it. Guess that's cool. But to debate who's good at BTB in Halo 4? smh. Sad times for the franchise indeed.

Nebula

Hahaha you guys still play Halo 4, and chat about it. Guess that's cool. But to debate who's good at BTB in Halo 4? smh. Sad times for the franchise indeed.

Bet you suck at BTB!

It's a shame the majority if you play after midnight or i'd be trying to get in on these BTB shenanigans.

Omni

I used to play so much BTB in Halo 3 and Reach. Really can't stand that crap any more though.. Which is disappointing.

Have they put objective gametypes in the playlist yet?
RIP Assault.

Only derps, morons, idiots, and hybrids thereof can lose ridge after the initial push.
To me, this is a crazy thing to say. I can't tell you how many times I've taken over the ridge from tryhards in 5v5 CTF or BTB by myself with a couple grenades and pinging people back into cover (so easy to do in this game, pinging people into cover) while my teammates get better situated.

Same thing goes for any game. Pick a situation where it seems impossible to regain control. One team has Camo/Rockets while holding Blue Base on Hang 'Em High. How the hell do you regain it in a 2v2 or 4v4? Shit, even most 1-sided CTF maps have this very "issue" of having an advantageous position on a map where a flag is setup. In Objective, these power positions are even more valuable, yet people fight through them, but in TS I don't find it a problem because you're only trying to increase the kill count, so there's less incentive to run out there and die to regain positioning IN THAT MOMENT (can be more patient) since it's Slayer.
Choosing to get wrecked again by a better team
  1. It helps you improve.
  2. Who says you'd be getting wrecked again? Sometimes I go into a game with the mentality of not giving a crap and just playing for shits and giggles, but when I lose to tryhards there's a little trigger in my head that goes off making me want to play them again. The next match I'll usually care about kills and leading the team to a possible victory - communication increases as I give people direction on what to do, how/when/where to setup, having eyes on all parts of the map, etc. etc.
I get what you guys are saying, I understand how some people can have a problem with these power positions, but I don't find it different from past games where you had to just be a little creative and be aware of each situation while communicating and not making rash decisions.

Mistel

Banned
Oh wow. I had no idea.

Last time I played in the playlist, there was only Infinity Slayer, IIRC. This actually kinda makes me excited. Might have to give it a go
Longbow on KOTH hill has the side passages blocked of and hardly no one goes to that higher area base thing. Which is good as it has a banshee that wrecks shop on the those who don't look up. KOTH on exile isn't too bad for some banshee domination either.

Woorloog

Banned
King of the Hill in BTB is horrible. It is an utter clusterfuck. And with tanks (on Longbow) it is just stupid. Shoot hill, get overkill.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 3 BTB KotH on Standoff was amazing. Warthogs. Warthogs everywhere.

Weren't the hills utterly open in that map, or only minimal cover? All i remember is that i hated being on a hill there.
Not that i like being on a hill in Halo 4 either, usually i spend my time in KotH killing others.

What about other Halo 3 maps, did they have open hills or a lot of cover?
Halo 4 hills tend to have medium-to-high amount of cover, or they're in defensible locations otherwise. (Might be one reason i so dislike Halo 4 KotH)

I like KotH better when there's no hill contesting for larger sized games. If they're going to make me play a fustercluck, at least don't make it so that you need full control over the hill; game's take forever when you can contest the hill.

BTB:
  • CTF - 3 caps
  • TS - 75 kills (100 kills feels too long for how often people quit BTB games)
  • KotH - no hill contesting
  • Domination - less power weapons dropping and possibly more Power-ups instead
I really dislike when games last the entire 15 mins (or whatever the time is) because they usually feel dragged out and the payout (ranks or XP) seems insignificant for the time played. I wouldn't mind the payout part since I usually don't care for superficial elements in games, but when the match feels longer than it should've been and I get nothing out of it in terms of satisfaction/enjoyment, then the payout should at least be something substantial IMO.

I just want a faster Halo game overall - everything from how it plays to how long the matches last. Playing several hour long games in CE/H2 felt great sometimes and there obviously weren't any payouts back then except for H2 ranked, but in later games a single 15 minute match can feel like an eternity. It's all about that balance and attention to detail when designing the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Standard time limit is currently 12 minutes, no? Reducing it to 10 or even 8 might be a good idea. You know, if the match makes no progress, at least it ends faster...

Mistel

Banned
Standard time limit is currently 12 minutes, no? Reducing it to 10 or even 8 might be a good idea. You know, if the match makes no progress, at least it ends faster...
The time limit currently for a btb match regardless of gametype is 15 minutes long. Might as well extend my enjoyment a while longer I say :p.

Longbow KOTH should be replaced by the CTF map variant. Standoff KOTH legendary brawl was awesome.
Aren't they the same map I though they where apart from there being only one banshee in the KOTH variant? My favorite KOTH map has to be avalanche with the hornet those were the days...

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, Avalanche. I was so damn excited when Bungie announced it. What a disappointment it was...
One-sided objectives on the map were rare to non-existent and thus i never got to play the neat concept of both sides having different vehicle sets (one had Covies, one had UNSC).
And a lot of the map went unused. Most people just fought in the middle. The map is, somewhat ironically, a rather bad vehicle map, the high elevation differences made the Warthog's gun inefficient at shooting infantry, and no one sane walked on the open land. And many didn't bother using vehicles due to the map's U shape making the distance a tad long. Aside from the transport Hornet...
And then the fuckers at Bungie added Heavies. Good bye proper just-okay-Avalanche.

On the positive side, the map's theme and snow-camo 'Hogs were great. And the map is a lot better than any Halo 4 BTB map, not counting Ragnarok (which was way better in Halo 3 as the map suited the game's gameplay. No silly 3x scopes...).

In retrospect, i never liked Sidewinder in Halo PC that much either, or Blood Gulch, most of the maps added with Halo PC were much better BTB maps.

Mistel

Banned
Speaking of the hornet... If halo 4 did have a unsc aerial vehicle, that would have to be ludicrously over power to even stand a chance against the mantis. It would need the pilot having offensive capabilities stronger than the non transport hornet. I can't think of a way it could beat a mantis without flying in around it faster than its torso can rotate and that wouldn't work on any of the maps really...

Nebula

Aren't they the same map I though they where apart from there being only one banshee in the KOTH variant? My favorite KOTH map has to be avalanche with the hornet those were the days...

No Tanks and you get 2 Hogs (rocket and chain) at each base with 2 mongooses, and a 2 mongooses down the side near the water on each side of the map. I think it would play much better without the tanks.

Mistel

Banned
No Tanks and you get 2 Hogs (rocket and chain) at each base with 2 mongooses, and a 2 mongooses down the side near the water on each side of the map. I think it would play much better without the tanks.
Any map plays better without scorpions the same can be said for the mantis. I honestly can't remember much of these different maps, I've got no desire to sit there and learn anything from it...

Omni

The Mantis is just so awful and over powered. Such a silly idea putting it in multiplayer. Every other vehicle becomes completely redundant

In hundreds of CTF matches on Ragnorok I don't think I've seen a single successful Warthog run, once. Which compared to Valhalla in Halo 3 is crazy - where a good warthog team could dominate that map (though I guess that's not just the Mantis' fault, but rather the ability to spawn with stickies and plasma pistols too)

Yeah my Spanish is awful, I took French instead which I'm probably worse at.

You wanted to eat a horse by stinging it to death which could be a normal taco bell food but anyway "El mirador de la muerte" could be a more precise description of settler camp area.

But yeah, we manage to ignore them and go for the tunnel part which have a shot gun....against a incinerator canon, a hog and army of DMR against us.....in CTF.

Booties

Banned
Weren't the hills utterly open in that map, or only minimal cover? All i remember is that i hated being on a hill there.
Not that i like being on a hill in Halo 4 either, usually i spend my time in KotH killing others.

What about other Halo 3 maps, did they have open hills or a lot of cover?
Halo 4 hills tend to have medium-to-high amount of cover, or they're in defensible locations otherwise. (Might be one reason i so dislike Halo 4 KotH)

You be hatin

Mistel

Banned
You wanted to eat a horse by stinging it to death which could be a normal taco bell food but anyway "El mirador de la muerte" could be a more precise description of settler camp area.

But yeah, we manage to ignore them and go for the tunnel part which have a shot gun....against a incinerator canon, a hog and army of DMR against us.....in CTF.
That bad oh my(what's taco bell?) I'm not gifted on the language front by any means.

The tunnel is the only real safe area if it's not already occupied, jet packs tend to ruin it though.

In hundreds of CTF matches on Ragnorok I don't think I've seen a single successful Warthog run, once. Which compared to Valhalla in Halo 3 is crazy - where a good warthog team could dominate that map (though I guess that's not just the Mantis' fault, but rather the ability to spawn with stickies and plasma pistols too)

Yeah, the warthog definitely got overly nerfed, but I think they did a particularly bad job of making hog-navigable terrain on that map. I wonder if they assumed everyone driving it would pick Wheelman and Gunner loadouts?

To me, this is a crazy thing to say. I can't tell you how many times I've taken over the ridge from tryhards in 5v5 CTF or BTB by myself with a couple grenades and pinging people back into cover (so easy to do in this game, pinging people into cover) while my teammates get better situated.

Again, you are still playing idiots. I think you don't know the Settler we're talking about simply because you haven't experienced it yourself.

Who says you'd be getting wrecked again? Sometimes I go into a game with the mentality of not giving a crap and just playing for shits and giggles, but when I lose to tryhards there's a little trigger in my head that goes off making me want to play them again. The next match I'll usually care about kills and leading the team to a possible victory - communication increases as I give people direction on what to do, how/when/where to setup, having eyes on all parts of the map, etc. etc.
Well, see, we tend to play smart from the beginning rather than waiting to lose first, so I guess that might be the source of our different attitudes towards facing the same team again. If they're actually better we'll talk about what they did that we should emulate, or what we shouldn't do next time, but since it's a game I don't feel it's necessary to stick with it like we're in the climax of an 80's sports movie.

Settler could be vastly improved by the common sense steps of creating another protected path to the top and moving power weapons farther out. I'm sure it works well enough in the wastes of BK land but with teams of competent players it's lopsided and unfun. But I think even derps would have more fun with a logical layout that gives you more stuff to do than A) hang around ridge, B) take a warthog, or C) go into the open and get killed by the people who did the other things.

Tzeentch

Aye, that's been heavily hinted at for a while. Will be interesting to see what direction they go with it - although the summaries for the later issues make it sound like the whole thing may get wrapped up pretty quick.

Halo introduced that ejection perk meanwhile Respawn and MS were working on Tfall. There's more to this theory but they were basically testing things in Halo 4 since it failed so bad.

Who knows how high up this goes!

Top Bottom