• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

Halo introduced that ejection perk meanwhile Respawn and MS were working on Tfall. There's more to this theory but they were basically testing things in Halo 4 since it failed so bad.

Who knows how high up this goes!

Eh, isn't that fairly standard for mech games? You could do the same thing in G-Nome for the PC. Even had the same first person view when you ejected out of your HAWC.

Eh, isn't that fairly standard for mech games? You could do the same thing in G-Nome for the PC. Even had the same first person view when you ejected out of your HAWC.

conspiracies, nintendo microsoft am doomed, etc

But they just added it to Halo 4 coincidentally? Which isn't a mech game? Somethings afoot here.

ii9SzHUCcwKU9.jpg

Mantis had thrusters? I think the mantis have missile reflector too

I thought I remember reading somewhere it was the original intention for the mantis to be able to jump or boost, but I might just be making it up. It does have little rocket nozzles in it's leg and crotch area, I kind of assumed that's what they were originally there for.

heckfu

Banned
I'm sure I'll be banned for going off topic but this is the best place to include everyone.

HaloGAF/HGS March Madness is live. Send me or Juices or Booties a PM to get the link and password.

Prize is pretty badass so I hope to see some good competition this year!

I thought I remember reading somewhere it was the original intention for the mantis to be able to jump or boost, but I might just be making it up. It does have little rocket nozzles in it's leg and crotch area, I kind of assumed that's what they were originally there for.

Mantis needs a flamethrower instead of a missile launcher. Every UNSC vehicle needs a flamethrower from now on.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm sure I'll be banned for going off topic but this is the best place to include everyone.

HaloGAF/HGS March Madness is live. Send me or Juices or Booties a PM to get the link and password.

Prize is pretty badass so I hope to see some good competition this year!

Reported.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Cannot wait until there's a playable Halo game out for a tourney.

Edit: Unless Tashi's backpack has shrunk

Edit 2: Tashi I hope you're good at Halo 2 SMG starts

Halo 4 Mantis would have been cooler if it controlled like a Titan. It's almost as if Halo devs are afraid of speed, and that's something that's always been reflected in gameplay changes between releases. Thankfully, Halo 4 was an improvement for the most part; faster animations, faster movement, overall faster gameplay.

Halo doesn't need to have CoD kill times and Quake traversal speed, but it also doesn't need to be a sluggish game.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 Mantis would have been cooler if it controlled like a Titan. It's almost as if Halo devs are afraid of speed, and that's something that's always been reflected in gameplay changes between releases. Thankfully, Halo 4 was an improvement for the most part; faster animations, faster movement, overall faster gameplay.

Halo doesn't need to have CoD kill times and Quake traversal speed, but it also doesn't need to be a sluggish game.

This is the single biggest reason i like Halo 4 so much over Reach.

And this speed thing is the reason i never liked the Scorpion or Mantis, too slow and boring (yes yes, the tank in Halo CE was fast but its abysmal accuracy made it boring, if sort-of balanced). The Wraith is okay because its very design and function makes it an interesting vehicle. Also has boost.

The Mantis shouldn't exist in Halo in the first place though, it doesn't feel Halo.
Now, i could accept the Forerunners having vaguely mech-like vehicle but i doubt they'd have it walk due to their mastery of gravity and anti-gravity...

Fuchsdh

I just don't understand the "mechs aren't Halo" sentiment. You've got guys running around in powered superarmor makes sense there would be upsized versions of the tech. Walkers have a theoretical niche they could fit into (although I doubt they'd give it 'cliffwalking' features in the games.)

I like the Mantis as is, and I think if it were put onto better, vehicle-focused maps from previous Halos (as opposed to Halo 4's very tight, chute-focused movement) a lot of the frustration would disappear because the drivers would feel confident moving more, and they'd also have more opportunities to take it down. If people want a nimbler, glass cannon-styled mech I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

(I think getting rid of the stomp is a decent idea. The animation is so slow that I never really feel like it's a good idea to use against halfway decent players. Maybe it should just be able to run over players and small vehicles--not sure how it would interact if you ran into a tank though.)

Woorloog

Banned
It doesn't fit stylistically Halo, or at least the UNSC. Covies have 4-legged walkers and they're okay, but i'd complain about two-legged ones if they had any. But two-legged mechs... nope. Big mechs are way too unrealistic (they only work in mech-scifi like Battletech), at least the Mantis is small.
The Mantis certainly doesn't fit the UNSC due to how it looks... those thin leg connections and generally slim build, in a faction dominated by bulky things and utilitarianism (well sort of, many UNSC things are not that practical).
EDIT Art of Halo 4 has Mantis concept art. Not a single one would fit the UNSC's style, not the bulky ones, not the flimsy ones. If there were a concept art that fit, i'd say that. The Goliath in Starcraft fits Terrans but the Viking and Thor do not, IMO. I'm not opposed mechs automatically, but they need to be well thought out and fit stylistically to the faction that would have it.

A mech is not scaled-up powered armor. Square-cube law, you see (presumably one could make them workable with anti-gravity tech, but if you have that, why bother with walkers, why not make a hover tank? 4-legged walker with AG assist might work in rugged ground, for non-combat role as the Scarab is meant originally, though it having AG assistance is pure speculation).

And of course, gameplay-wise the Mantis doesn't work well, though it'd call it a tad more balanced than the Scorpion, though this depends on the map of course (in Valhalla, the tank would be utterly OP, in Longbow it is just OP).

I would rather had the UNSC have a hover anti-aircraft tank than the Mantis (which is, fictionally, AA-platform). Or the Halo Wars Cyclops, though presumably a Spartan cannot fit in one.

It doesn't fit stylistically Halo, or at least the UNSC. Covies have 4-legged walkers and they're okay, but i'd complain about two-legged ones if they had any. But two-legged mechs... nope. Big mechs are way too unrealistic (they only work in mech-scifi like Battletech), at least the Mantis is small.
The Mantis certainly doesn't fit the UNSC due to how it looks... those thin leg connections and generally slim build, in a faction dominated by bulky things and utilitarianism (well sort of, many UNSC things are not that practical).
EDIT Art of Halo 4 has Mantis concept art. Not a single one would fit the UNSC's style, not the bulky ones, not the flimsy ones. If there were a concept art that fit, i'd say that. The Goliath in Starcraft fits Terrans but the Viking and Thor do not, IMO. I'm not opposed mechs automatically, but they need to be well thought out and fit stylistically to the faction that would have it.

A mech is not scaled-up powered armor. Square-cube law, you see (presumably one could make them workable with anti-gravity tech, but if you have that, why bother with walkers, why not make a hover tank? 4-legged walker with AG assist might work in rugged ground, for non-combat role as the Scarab is meant originally, though it having AG assistance is pure speculation).

And of course, gameplay-wise the Mantis doesn't work well, though it'd call it a tad more balanced than the Scorpion, though this depends on the map of course (in Valhalla, the tank would be utterly OP, in Longbow it is just OP).

I would rather had the UNSC have a hover anti-aircraft tank than the Mantis (which is, fictionally, AA-platform). Or the Halo Wars Cyclops, though presumably a Spartan cannot fit in one.

While this would make sense, I think you can actually have your Spartan units pilot it just like they would any other vehicle. Once the Spartans gained popularity they started super-sizing a lot of the tech to accommodate them above and beyond, hence things like the Magnum looking big as a sewing machine.

Woorloog

Banned
While this would make sense, I think you can actually have your Spartan units pilot it just like they would any other vehicle. Once the Spartans gained popularity they started super-sizing a lot of the tech to accommodate them above and beyond, hence things like the Magnum looking big as a sewing machine.

I forgot about that... Well, i'd like the Cyclops much more than Mantis in any case. Though a soldier in a powered armor in a powered armor is kind of redundant but whatever.

How it could work in a Halo shooter:
The Cyclops a melee unit, with repair and throw ability, totally unique, and interesting. Probably shouldn't be able to splatter, not sure about while charging or when landing on top of someone.
Right trigger punches, left trigger uses the welding tool (why not make it able to repair vehicles?), LB picks up and throws (first press picks up, second throws) the closest object that isn't too big and that object deals damage based on its weight (so throwing a Magnum is not nearly as useful as throwing a Rocket Launcher is), RB is charge (since it is mostly a melee unit, it could use a charge to close distances fast, medium-to-long cooldown).

I think just about anything can exist in the Halo universe as long as they set it up properly. Mechs work fine because they've existed for a while now and the cannon behind them make sense (ie: Halo Wars, Halo Legends, other fiction). And honestly, after playing Titanfall I'd be fine with 2v2/4v4 being classic Halo and BTB doing something different like making changes to map traversal similar to Titanfall. Let them experiment with BTB, just don't allow Plasma Pistols and Plasma Grenades in loadouts..

Crazy how that was a thing
, and perks.
hahah

Didnt the mantis is actually the new version of the Cyclops which is a load vehicle but with guns?.

I still think its a bit of silly seeing a spartan driving a mantis, I wont be surprised to see colored mantises in halo 5 as a cosmetic paywall feature.

Didnt the mantis is actually the new version of the Cyclops which is a load vehicle but with guns?.

I still think its a bit of silly seeing a spartan driving a mantis, I wont be surprised to see colored mantises in halo 5 as a cosmetic paywall feature.
Apparently so. They hinted this when one of the halo 4 maps were revealed. The one with the giant mech been built in the middle.

I dont really like the mantis and would much rather have the hornet or falcon back. Although I cant imagine a halo 4 map where either would be of use.

Is it safe to say the general consensus is that bungie era mp maps are just vastly superior to 343 era? (I know it's the first game). I'm not sure if sprint, perks and different vehicle movement was taken into account when designing them.

So after Halo 4's original maps is everyone ready to concede that Halo Xbox One should launch we remakes of good maps that we know work for sure?

Midship plays every gametype well.

Sidewinder would be amazing to have back for BTB.

Agree/disagree/

It's just forky with legs and guns. :D

(powerloader with plasma sword arms & jetpack/boost plskthx)
So after Halo 4's original maps is everyone ready to concede that Halo Xbox One should launch we remakes of good maps that we know work for sure?

Agree/disagree/
Been saying this for years, so I agree 100%. It's crazy, even the Forge remakes of classic maps I generally like more than the on disc maps for the past few games lol - It just makes sense to release several remakes given the position Halo is in; returning to its roots and trying to recapture that classic formula for a new generation of consoles/gamers.

FyreWulff

Agree/disagree/

They should focus on 100% symmetrical maps, at any rate. A good symmetrical map is automatically good as an asym map for 1 flag and 1 bomb. An asym map, no matter how good it is, is only good for 1-sided gametypes.

But you can't also do what they did with Halo 4, and bring back Valhalla with zero changes.

After all the aesthetic changes that Halo 4 brought along, I'm actually kind of hoping they pull a Wes Craven's New Nightmare for "Halo 7" that hard reboots the franchise. No dudebro, no darker and edgier. Let the fear reside in the ambience and ambiguity of the isolation. Leave wiggle room for the once-ancient factions. I honestly had a lot of hope for Halo 5's story before the Greg Bear trilogy went overboard with keeping a closed circle and killed off just about every potential thread they could have incorporated. If they manage to go back to some of the original roots as a snarky, surprisingly colorful and mysterious hurdle, I think a lot of people would be on board. It's never been canon, but I also like to think that fully physical, three-dimensionally-comprehensible Precursor tech looks like stuff straight out of Giger's fever dreams. Keeping them off the map as enemies but leaving a relic or two behind like a weapon would be interesting.

As-is, I feel like the Reclaimer Saga is going to get too nominal and get overly human-centric, get a little too sci-fantasy, and delve into the Spartan psychosis that nobody really wants to hear about. "More machine than man" has been a theme since Halo 2's Gravemind cinematic, and I like the idea behind it, but I'm extremely concerned that they're going to try and teach Chief how to love in the following games. Someone in one of the "games with great setpieces" thread mentioned that in Halo, you made the setpieces, and its story is no exception - just remember all the weird fanfic shit that popped up in the interim before Halo 2 and Halo 3.

If it were ever to be rebooted, though, I'm also somewhat concerned they'd shoot for classic Bungie "Arcane Energies" Studios and not classic Halo. Near the end of their run, I feel like all of the restrictions put on the titles over the years like scrapped content, deadlines, etc. made it turn into something they really didn't want it to be, and - despite having a story bible - they pretty much did whatever sounded cool to them at the time and tried to let Nylund make sense out of it. I also feel like this is part of 343's problem, where they've got their own vision for it and as a result Halo's going off the rails without anyone really doing cohesive lore quality control across the entire franchise.

Why does the Mantis have that big long penis thing? And the hole. It looks so weird.

and they were making fun of MC's space diaper

The Mantis was allegedly supposed to have thrusting / juke moves, but chances are they couldn't get the vehicle synced up even without it having too many pieces of interaction physics.

Could have been a fuel tank, and the urethra port up front probably shot sparky space jizz out.

TCKaos

Here is my analysis on the play styles and likelihood of backing out of a game when it comes to ExWife and Prinz Eugn. I have established a working relationship with both of them and have extensive experience with their playing habits and Halo lifestyles.

ExWife and Eugn never back out of games no matter what. It doesn't matter if they're going negative - which is about as likely as seeing Miley Cyrus getting an actual phat ass, if they're losing by 40 - which does happen every once in a while but only when I'm playing with them distracting them with stories of Off-Topic, or if their teammates are 0-30 - which happens all the time when da King FUBAR is with 'em, they don't give a fuck. They stay and truck through it and complain a little bit but stay in there and let their lesser teammates die over and over and over and over and over with no solace or hope of getting out of hell early.

They laugh at people who are sub 1.5K/DR and simply say things like "Oh that guy has 25,000 kills and three deaths? okay this should be fun." "Oh, FUBAR, you are only +1400 kills and we're going to face a full party full of guys whose worst K/D is 2.3? Don't die to much hehehe".

It's like entering a game with ancient Greek gods on one team and their ancestral titan fathers on the other team and then I'm sitting there as a damn goat herder in the mountains of bumfuck nowhere and they're expecting me not to shit my pants and instead contribute to the team in meaningful ways. Ha! Yeah right!

Every night we play together I get thrust into scenarios no ordinary player should ever have to experience.

I get in a 3v1 fight and rightfully die(as would 95% of the rest of the Halo population) and ExWife will be like "Oh fubar you didn't take down all three guys or even get any of them down to one shot? Here let me do it right while singing Mulan and playing Borderlands with my other hand and drinking whiskey out of a straw with one eye closed and the other watching my twitch stream making sure my upload speed is as high as it should be and I've got Geo Wars 2 on my other Xbox in my other room getting another high score shitting on the entire world mmkay"

and then Eugn's just going "Oh fubar it's okay. You'll do alright here stay back here and watch as I do this crazy shit and kill four guys with two BR bursts while tweeting back and forth with Kittens and Ghazi and explaining complex strategies of minecraft with my wife and elevating her game with new awesome techniques I learned thanks to my extensive stays in Mexico learning fluent Spanish so I can talk to Kame and laugh at fubar in spanish and he'll have no idea what we're saying and then tell him that we were just talking about the geography of Mexico". DONT LIE MARK I KNOW THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING

And if that doesn't convince you, look up the quality of players that Kame assassinates every game. He never backs down from an opportunity to ninja the entire team while giggling like the madman he is.

<3 Halo gaf

Yeah, that's actually pretty much exactly right.

Woorloog

Banned
Symmetrical maps. I used to think i didn't like them*. Now, i do like 'em. All i want is them to have visually different sides though, helps navigation and makes the map more interesting looking.
Why i didn't like them? On the account of them being boring, so to speak. Played a lot of local Halo 2 FFA, asymmetric maps were so much better suited, and more interesting, for small scale FFA than symmetric maps. Odd how i developed my preferences based on that.

Might be good idea to have maps that can be split in two easily for one-sided gametypes to create asymmetric maps, or have asymmetric maps that are can be mirrored to make larger, symmetric map.
For example, if we mirror Last Resort/Zanzibar at beach, we get a rather interesting looking symmetric map, suitable for larger games (or alternatively the walls could be blocked and leave us the middle third, for a small symmetric pseudo-desert...)

Symmetrical maps. I used to think i didn't like them*. Now, i do like 'em. All i want is them to have visually different sides though, helps navigation and makes the map more interesting looking.
I really hope the next game gives us red and blue bases with some colors around the map for callouts.

Mistel

Banned
I've not had chance to capture it yet :(

Halo has been lacking true symmetry for some time. I'd love some symmetrical BTB maps. Maybe 2 Flag will play much better then.
Tell me when you do I want to see it in all it's glory.

Symmetry would be great for objective games, I can't even think of a close to perfectly symmetrical map in 4.

Woorloog

Banned
I really hope the next game gives us red and blue bases with some colors around the map for callouts.

They don't have to blue and red, just different, though additional colors or perhaps lights can help.
A map with shadowed side and light side for example works, double so if it has gray rock/material and is set during sunset, this colors one side reddish and the other is more blue (Narrows used this if i recall correctly).

Other than that, maps should have distinctive areas that are easy to name, or that anyone recognizes when spoken about, if the game doesn't come with callouts like Halo 4 (Reach had them though they were too... broad).
Oddly enough, it is easier to make callouts for asymmetric maps, IMO. Though in symmetric maps one can prefix them, eg "Red Forest" though this doesn't work that well in my experience... (tried calling places with "[team]-[place]" for my friends but my names don't seem to be obvious enough).

Huh. Map design is in itself rather interesting to study and think about. Often more interesting than playing the map itself.

Symmetry would be great for objective games, I can't even think of a close to perfectly symmetrical map in 4.

2-axis symmetry (such maps have always been rare in Halo, mirror-maps are more common)? Haven is symmetric in one axis. That spaceship-based map, the ugly map with mech in the middle, it is symmetric but, uh... I need to read about the terms...

Agree/disagree/
I actually think Halo 4 had really good original BTB maps (I really liked Longbow and Meltdown), but remakes are always welcome. I mean a good multiplayer map is endlessly replayable, and it's ultimately good maps which make a multiplayer game fun. I'm sure a few people would cry fowl if like half of halo 5's maps were remakes, but I also think most of use would be pretty happy with that so long as they're remakes of the best halo maps. Having a lot of remakes could also (possibly) give the designers more time to work on the new/original maps in Halo 5 since I can't imagine it takes that much time to remake a map, and that might make the new maps better.

Fuchsdh

I actually think Halo 4 had really good original BTB maps (I really liked Longbow and Meltdown), but remakes are always welcome. I mean a good multiplayer map is endlessly replayable, and it's ultimately good maps which make a multiplayer game fun. I'm sure a few people would cry fowl if like half of halo 5's maps were remakes, but I also think most of use would be pretty happy with that so long as they're remakes of the best halo maps. Having a lot of remakes could also (possibly) give the designers more time to work on the new/original maps in Halo 5 since I can't imagine it takes that much time to remake a map, and that might make the new maps better.

To me a better goal is to focus on maps that can't easily be remade in Forge, either the current iteration or whatever comes in the future. People can make Lockout in their sleep these days, but Relic is essentially impossible in the current version.

Woorloog

Banned
Remakes are rarely good. Or more precisely, a game's mechanics and gameplay may not suit a map from another game. Of course, this depends on the degree of difference between two game's gameplay, but even a small change can have enormous consequences. Valhalla/Ragnarok is an excellent example, 3x scopes change the map's flow and gameplay a lot, to worse. And Blood Gulch too, in Reach the map is pretty bad (though i never found the map to be that good in Halo PC either).

A good map's design points and layout can be used, but it should be tweaked for the game it is used for, and while at it, bad points of old maps (don't say there is a flawless map) can be tweaked.

EDIT i don't mean remakes don't work or that they can't be good, The Pit in Reach MLG works rather well even though the ruleset used wasn't vanilla Reach nor Halo 3. Ironically i actually liked the map there a lot more than in Halo 3 (even with BR starts i didn't like The Pit at all and still don't (and this is primary reason i won't bother buying that one Halo 4 DLC)).
Still, i prefer new maps, there is always a possibility of a new map being great, a proper classic, and in general it is more interesting to see new places than to fight in the same old areas again and again. This extends to campaigns, i didn't like Halo 3 final mission, they should've made something new...

To me a better goal is to focus on maps that can't easily be remade in Forge, either the current iteration or whatever comes in the future. People can make Lockout in their sleep these days, but Relic is essentially impossible in the current version.

I agree with you for once. Give us a Chiron remake already, dammit.

Top Bottom