• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Chettlar

Banned
https://twitter.com/bsangel/status/446084542948851715

So huzzah for heavies it sounds like.

Reach's I thought was super boring because lives were unlimited IIRC and the ice skating on anything but google fiber for non-hosts.

But do they play significantly differently? I've only played a little bit of Reach's firefight. I've just seen a lot of people in HaloGAF talking about how awesome ODST's firefight is, so I didn't know if there was a significant difference in how they played other than the limited number of rounds.

Woorloog

Banned
What's wrong with heavies?

Pretty sure i've explained this before.
Too many vehicles, specifically powerful vehicles, is a clusterfuck. It was in Halo 3 and Reach (and for this reason, i never bothered to touch H4 version of Heavies).
Too many power weapons makes Team Slayer/CTF/whatever a clusterfuck, too many vehicles is the same thing for BTB. Especially if there also too many power weapons...

BTB in Halo is wonderful because its balanced integration of vehicles and infantry, Heavies goes against that, in principle and in my experience.

But do they play significantly differently? I've only played a little bit of Reach's firefight. I've just seen a lot of people in HaloGAF talking about how awesome ODST's firefight is, so I didn't know if there was a significant difference in how they played other than the limited number of rounds.

ODST Firefight is a proper survival mode. Reach Firefight is something where you just get score.
Aside from superficial differences, there are deeper issues in Reach Firefight, starting with idiotic AI pathing that funnels all the enemies to you at once...

Halo with Titanfall's movement could be very interesting.
Halo 4 Heavies was true BTB. Let the vehicle and weapon sandbox free.

Serious question: what caused big team battle to become a clusterfuck in Halo 4 and to a lesser extent Reach? I mean, you're always going to have some issues at that high a player count, but I feel like Halo CE PC and Halo 3 handled big numbers pretty well. Halo 2 did just as long as the maps were big and open.

It can't just be the DMR, because I definitely remember Halo 2 and Halo CE big team matches that got way too baroque. Is it a Sprint thing?

Woorloog

Banned
Serious question: what caused big team battle to become a clusterfuck in Halo 4 and to a lesser extent Reach? I mean, you're always going to have some issues at that high a player count, but I feel like Halo CE PC and Halo 3 handled big numbers pretty well. Halo 2 did just as long as the maps were big and open.

It can't just be the DMR, because I definitely remember Halo 2 and Halo CE big team matches that got way too baroque. Is it a Sprint thing?
Vehicle health system, armor abilities, 3x scopes, map design, power creep, bad decisions. EDIT non-power weapons damaging vehicles in meaningful way, explosive vehicle weapons being even more powerful (looking at you, Banshee Bomb)

I honestly dont remember getting damaged by pistols or BRs shooting to the Hog

In Reach the DMR (and the sniper rifle) deals insane amount of damage to the vehicle pilot killing him before actually destroying the vehicle, you are just a big target because you can damage the vehicle at any distance with not damage reduction at all at any part of the vehicle.

In Halo 4 is just.....everything can kill you, a random ordinance, the default power weapon just at the middle of the map who no one of your team want because reasons, two plasma grenades at the start for everyone, the driver is worrying more about the terrain rather than the people hiding, charged plasma pistol and you are dead, not real vehicle warfare maps just mole holes where everyone can <insert ordinance or covenant stun weapons>.

I honestly dont remember getting damaged by pistols or BRs shooting to the Hog

In Reach the DMR (and the sniper rifle) deals insane amount of damage to the vehicle pilot killing him before actually destroying the vehicle, you are just a big target because you can damage the vehicle at any distance with not damage reduction at all at any part of the vehicle.

In Halo 4 is just.....everything can kill you, a random ordinance, the default power weapon just at the middle of the map who no one of your team want because reasons, two plasma grenades at the start for everyone, the driver is worrying more about the terrain rather than the people hiding, charged plasma pistol and you are dead, not real vehicle warfare maps just mole holes where everyone can <insert ordinance or covenant stun weapons>.

PC / 2 clusterfucks were more on the infantry side. See Danger Canyon scuffles in the purple rooms, trying to plant a bomb on Headlong as people with every power weapon under the sun squeezed themselves into the bases, etc.

Omni

1kot.jpg

wut

Well maybe if this shitty game didn't put me in matches with awful teammates and full parties as enemies constantly then I wouldn't have quit four times in a damn row. I thought that join in progress meant that it didn't matter if we quit anyway

No, Reach Firefight was better simply because it was customizable IMO.

Out of the interest of keeping the thread open, we should probably stop this train of discussion (and questionable opinions). Not to mention you agreed with Orochinagis, who probably only said that because he needs the settings just right so that he can assassinate all the covies.

Now, about Halo 4, tomorrow evening (Wed), ~7PM PST. Need a fix.

Random17

Out of the interest of keeping the thread open, we should probably stop this train of discussion (and questionable opinions). Not to mention you agreed with Orochinagis, who probably only said that because he needs the settings just right so that he can assassinate all the covies.

My mistake. Are there any Spartan Ops mission in the first five chapters worth playing? I was bored as hell after three missions. The last five chapters kept my interest, but were still disappointing compared to the Campaign (which says a lot).

Mistel

Banned
My mistake. Are there any Spartan Ops mission in the first five chapters worth playing? I was bored as hell after three missions. The last five chapters kept my interest, but were still disappointing compared to the Campaign (which says a lot).
Honestly probably not if you don't like pushing buttons and boring encounters in recycled campaign areas.

Booties

Banned

Nope. Still unlimited lives with way too many promethean enemies charging at your spawn. Spops is the most boring game type I've ever played in a video game.

Nebula

I have no idea how many clips I have for my montage. I've got two accounts with around 50 films each to go through. Not going to reuse anything from my daytage so hopefully that lessens my load a bit.

Also wondering if I should do the mongoose clips seperate from the other vehicle clips by giving them seperate montages. Might need more vehicle clips though.

Hoping to have it done within 4 weeks though which is exciting. Wondering if I should do a trailer of sorts.

Fuchsdh

I'll probably be around for a bit.

Nebula

wut

Well maybe if this shitty game didn't put me in matches with awful teammates and full parties as enemies constantly then I wouldn't have quit four times in a damn row. I thought that join in progress meant that it didn't matter if we quit anyway

This happened to me as well and I'm expecting it again soon. Yellow bar makes me do bad things though.

Think I just got a rampage on a Ghost. Awesome.

PST or PDT?

I wish... but alas, Halo is going to definitely be weekends only for me even more so now that we're doing mandatory overtime.

he-aint-even-mad.jpg

First half is really boring, second half is way better, the last chapter is worth mention because you have to run away with funky gravity settings.

Woorloog

Banned
First half is really boring, second half is way better, the last chapter is worth mention because you have to run away with funky gravity settings.

Fuck that mission. It ain't fun, it is super frustrating when you get thrown a lot back when just want the mission to be over.

The second half is no better than the first...

Woorloog

Banned
are you playing it solo? because hell of your soul.

I have played every single fucking SpOps mission solo. On easy mostly though, it still sucked.
SpOps matchmaking was utter hell the one time i played it, just like Reach Firefight matchmaking. Lag, bad players, annoying players who rush onward, things like that.

There is one decent Spartan Ops mission, one set on Ragnarok, where you get some Mantises and are told to shoot down multiple waves of Banshees. Kind of fun if you have a friend playing it with you (and difficulty is low enough).

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Fuck that mission. It ain't fun, it is super frustrating when you get thrown a lot back when just want the mission to be over.

The second half is no better than the first...

You do know you can used the gravity fluctuations to move forward faster, right? That way you can pound your next Red Bull asap.

You do know you can used the gravity fluctuations to move forward faster, right? That way you can pound your next Red Bull asap.

Postmortem on Gamasutra (or non-waypoint webzone) plz. In particular I really want to hear the story why so many Spartan ops missions were made when you were so obviously limited in the number of spaces you had at your disposal.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Yeah, in theory. My luck is that they throw me backwards only. Lucky i don't get splattered against walls.

I scripted it so you move based on the direction you're facing when the impulse kicks in. Also, you're actually deathless when I impulse the players to prevent them from dying in that very scenario.

Did you like them in Halo 4 after some of the changes they made from Reach? Do you want to see them return? If they return, any changes you'd make?

Personally, I don't want them at all and think they'd better serve the players as Power-ups. Don't even keep them for Custom Games, just give us the options to tweak Power-up settings (ie: duration, strength (OS/Camo), etc.).
I miss halo :(
Halo misses you too ;'[

Woorloog

Banned
I scripted it so you move based on the direction you're facing when the impulse kicks in. Also, you're actually deathless when I impulse the players to prevent them from dying in that very scenario.
The direction you're facing? How come i'm facing a wall or wrong way every single time the impulse kicks in?
I've never died from it, so no glitches there then, but losing some shields from hitting a wall or ground sure feels like you're a moment away from dying. Would be awesome if the mission were fun otherwise.

Spartan Ops was the feature i was most interested in, and it was the most disappointing one. Very unfortunate, saw a great potential in the mode.

Booties

Banned

I think once I got the achievements for the first half I stopped playing. I just watched all the CGI as they became available. I may have kept playing them on easy or something if I had anything to gain out of it. Can you not tie achievements to free content?

Nowise10

I actually really loved that section of the mission. Unique and unexpected and made all my friend say "wtf" when it was happening. Mainly that whole last level was pretty awesome. Shooting the cannon inside the once covenant ship I cant name at the moment, going inside.

Do more stuff like that. Second half of the season was nicer because of similar events like that in the maps, that were new (first person assassinations, new sections of the same levels unlocked in later missions, cruiser shooting the covenant if you snuck past and hit the button. ect). Story also got better.

Woorloog

Banned
I actually really loved that section of the mission. Unique and unexpected and made all my friend say "wtf" when it was happening. Mainly that whole last level was pretty awesome. Shooting the cannon inside the once covenant ship I cant name at the moment, going inside, ect.

Do more stuff like that. Second half of the season was nicer because of similar stuff like that in the maps (first person assassinations, new sections of the same levels unlocked in later missions, cruiser shooting the covenant if you snuck past and hit the button). Story also got better.

What cruiser shooting Covies, you mean in the episode Invasion?

Nowise10

What cruiser shooting Covies, you mean in the episode Invasion?

No idea. Its the level where you start outside with cruisers above, and it looks like its like becoming evening, but you "hack" through the gates and go inside the giant cave, and it has like invisible elites and such. At the start you can hit the one button an elite is on if you don't wake up any of the enemies, and then the cruiser sends bombs down.

Although If I remember correctly, they send down like human explosives which is odd.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, that mission. Meh. Wasn't that cool.

The mission i described earlier, on Valhalla, you see a missile hitting and destroying a cruiser at the end. Oddly enough, the destruction is much, much cooler than what you see in the first campaign mission when the Chief fires the missile to a cruiser.

Nowise10

Oh, that mission. Meh. Wasn't that cool.

The mission i described earlier, on Valhalla, you see a missile hitting and destroying a cruiser at the end. Oddly enough, the destruction is much, much cooler than what you see in the first campaign mission when the Chief fires the missile to a cruiser.

Oh no doubt. On launch night when I was playing that, I was insanely disappointed on how it looked. It looked so fake and mediocre. I still don't like how the covenant ships are just completely hollow on the inside when they explode. Like its just an empty shell of a ship.

And to add on to that, the missile that you fire at the cruiser? They put a green light effect on it, and it looks incredibly out of place, and doesn't make sense.. The flame coming out from the back in red/orange, and its giving off a green light.

Nowise10

Anyways, last post, but something I wanted to post a couple post ups was a picture I took along time ago, of the last level in Spartan Ops. I don't know what they did, but the graphics (to me) just look incredible, and I'm not a big fan of Halo '4s graphics everywhere else.

daaaaaammmmn those rocks/lighting

wwm0nkey

Anyways, last post, but something I wanted to post a couple post ups was a picture I took along time ago, of the last level in Spartan Ops. I don't know what they did, but the graphics (to me) just look incredible, and I'm not a big fan of Halo '4s graphics everywhere else.

daaaaaammmmn those rocks/lighting

They better have fucking kept rock guy.

Pull a Metroid Prime and just make an enemy type out of rocks in Halo 5. They may not be fun, but the graphics will blow your friggin mind.

Top Bottom