• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I'll try to get a lobby soon (hopefully this weekend) to test Sabotage in order to look for some bug fixes and hopefully get some cool clips for the reveal trailer.

In order to make Sabotage feel like a gametype on it's own I decided to make a custom award system for it, something I haven't done for any other gametype yet.

Check out bellow the medals you can get while playing Sabotage:

70px-Extraction-site-defense.png
Site Defense: Kill an enemy player near a friendly generator OR Lock a generator

70px-Extraction-site-offense.png
Site Offense: Kill an enemy player near an enemy generator.

70px-Extraction-stay-back.png
Stay Back!: Kill an enemy player near a friendly generator at 15% or less.

70px-Extraction-site-saviour.png
Site Saviour: Lock a generator while it's taking damage

70px-Dominion-breach.png
Breach: Assasinate an enemy player near a generator

70px-Dominion-security-chief.png
Security Chief: Lock 3 generators.

Fuchsdh

I had some fun times with those guys you were with, but the last 3 games were just unplayable. It was like playing against a host on another planet.

No issues for me... maybe I was the host all along. Glad you could join in though. Did Tashi ever get on?

I'll try to get a lobby soon (hopefully this weekend) to test Sabotage in order to look for some bug fixes and hopefully get some cool clips for the reveal trailer.

In order to make Sabotage feel like a gametype on it's own I decided to make a custom award system for it, something I haven't done for any other gametype yet.

Check out bellow the medals you can get while playing Sabotage:

Happy to jump on if I've got the time.

Nebula

Just drove a guy to a running riot on Settler.

It was a 5 v 5 (ended up becoming 6 v 5 then 6 v 4) and it was Big Team Slayer. Not a single enemy used the Plasma Pistol.

And in the next game I get EMPd within the first 30 seconds. I really, really hope the BTB changes include fixed loadouts.

Booties

Banned

It was a 5 v 5 (ended up becoming 6 v 5 then 6 v 4) and it was Big Team Slayer. Not a single enemy used the Plasma Pistol.

And in the next game I get EMPd within the first 30 seconds. I really, really hope the BTB changes include fixed loadouts.

They just need to make it rifle loadouts only with pistol secondary. AR/BR worked well in BTB objective in halo 3, but that may not work with the Halo 4 WUNDERAR. Waping with a warthog was the best part of btb.

Omni

What's the deal with these?

I'm a camo whore. I'd actually pay to use these. But I can't. Why? Why 343i? The camos that we can buy are just so ugly... Doesn't make sense to lock the best looking ones away

Nebula

They just need to make it rifle loadouts only with pistol secondary. AR/BR worked well in BTB objective in halo 3, but that may not work with the Halo 4 WUNDERAR. Waping with a warthog was the best part of btb.

Sandbox TS at 48 was hilarious to demolish with a Hog. I miss being able to drive/gun with a Hog without being nuked within a minute. I'd love some larger Sandtrap sized BTB maps.

They just need to make it rifle loadouts only with pistol secondary.
People are ready for the Pistol to be a worthy threat to the rifles again. If the Smart Pistol can exist in a game like Titanfall as a primary weapon, a more skill-based one can exist in Halo.

We need to play Hog Wars on Halo PC or XBC if you have that set up.

Mistel

Banned
I ran into someone using a very fancy DMR skin today. Never seen it before. But it is orange and I want it so badly. Anyone know how to get it? Plus I swear that there's a white and orange BR... How do you get that one?!
Spartan ops stuff I believe is what is required to get them. Btb needs more wraiths I love some heavy artillery to play with, I hope we do get 3 style btb back in 5.

Booties

Banned
Sandbox TS at 48 was hilarious to demolish with a Hog. I miss being able to drive/gun with a Hog without being nuked within a minute. I'd love some larger Sandtrap sized BTB maps.

Sandtrap was a lot of fun. As ugly as that map was, it had everything. Mobile bases, indoor areas, outdoor areas, vehicles, snipes, lasers, cover, and of course, trips mines.

You weren't ever really pinned down too badly on that map by any vehicles either.

Omni

Spartan ops stuff I believe is what is required to get them. Btb needs more wraiths I love some heavy artillery to play with, I hope we do get 3 style btb back in 5.
Ninja'd my edit. :3

Buuut Spartan Ops stuff? I did a quick google but all I'm seeing is that all three of those skins are locked?

Mistel

Banned
Ninja'd my edit. :3

Buuut Spartan Ops stuff? I did a quick google but all I'm seeing is that all three of those skins are locked?
My bad I meant assault for the DMR one I think you need both that and bullseye and to do something on waypoint. For the BR I've read it being similar but I can't find something for it.

Nebula

I cannot get kills with the LR if my life depended on it. I try and use it whenever I can in BTB, but I never get the kill. It's not hitscan right?

It's not hitscan and it sucks at anything that isn't long range. I can't use the DMR anymore since I'm constantly trying to lead my shots.

Booties

Banned
It's not hitscan and it sucks at anything that isn't long range. I can't use the DMR anymore since I'm constantly trying to lead my shots.

Yeah I cannot use that thing at close range. The length of the gun feels like it throws my sensitivity off. So tough to aim with that thing up close.

Mistel

Banned
I'm ~250 out of 1000 for Mastery. Mainly from FFA though. Using it in BTB is hilariously bad.
It's like a really bad smg, I've tried using it in the oddball playlist when it was around, if I picked one up I just hated it, that is masquerading as a primary weapon.

Mistel

Banned
New community vote: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2874907_Community-Choice--Big-Team-Battle.aspx

Big Team Legendary BR's
Big Team Neutral Flag
Big Team Snipers

Hmmm...
Snipers is winning sigh that's such a boring gametype, I wonder if it will swing towards legendary BR's but I doubt it will.

I found out I've got a btb CSR of 33 I don't even put any effort half the time... Then waypoint was just itself and I gave up trying to find if I've killed someone with a suppressor.

Omni

I think I have a CSR of like 18... Haha. Is it calculated with win/loss? I'm always losing these days, no matter how well I play. But then again, I guess it doesn't mean anything one way or another

I'm kinda surprised but The Pit seems to come up in matchmaking quite a lot. Playing CTF on it is probably the most fun I've had in Halo 4 :eek:

Chettlar

Banned
Snipers is winning sigh that's such a boring gametype, I wonder if it will swing towards legendary BR's but I doubt it will.

I found out I've got a btb CSR of 33 I don't even put any effort half the time... Then waypoint was just itself and I gave up trying to find if I've killed someone with a suppressor.

Why does everybody love snipers so much? WHY?

I mean, yeah, snipers are fun sometimes, but it really doesn't deserve the popularity it gets. I mean, even Halo PC usually has like 5 sniper playlists, often times with no shields.

I really wish Halo 4 was backwards compatible on the XB1.

In other news, I like Titanfall, but man.. something just feels like it's missing, lacking. I can't put my finger on it, but the game just seems to be missing something.

Let me guess... Armor Abilities?

Thats it!

Nah, the games reliance on AI to populate maps kinda bugs me and I am not the biggest fan of the map design and gametypes. Due to the low number of Pilots in the larger maps populated by AI, I feel the combat I engage in isn't as rewarding as games like Halo, BF, or CoD. While the parkour is fantastic, I feel it is a missed opportunity in some of the maps. Finally, I feel like the game suffers from an identity crisis, never fully realizing its own potential.

Ghazi

Thats it!

Nah, the games reliance on AI to populate maps kinda bugs me and I am not the biggest fan of the map design and gametypes. Due to the low number of Pilots in the larger maps populated by AI, I feel the combat I engage in isn't as rewarding as games like Halo, BF, or CoD. While the parkour is fantastic, I feel it is a missed opportunity in some of the maps.
I agree, and that was something I was really worried about with the existence of all the AI enemies.
Finally, I feel like the game suffers from an identity crisis, never fully realizing its own potential.

Kind of like a certain series right now, eh?

I think I have a CSR of like 18... Haha. Is it calculated with win/loss? I'm always losing these days, no matter how well I play. But then again, I guess it doesn't mean anything one way or another

I'm kinda surprised but The Pit seems to come up in matchmaking quite a lot. Playing CTF on it is probably the most fun I've had in Halo 4 :eek:
BTB CSR is based on individual performance. Probably the easiest 50 in the game. There is some loose skill matching though so the likelihood of playing decent people increases as you go.

EDIT: Stormtrooper, you have 5/25 suppressor kills required for "Proficient". For future reference: Waypoint App -> Commendations -> Show all Weapons

BTB CSR is based on individual performance. Probably the easiest 50 in the game. There is some loose skill matching though so the likelihood of playing decent people increases as you go.

Not everyone can get a 50, exwife, jeez. I think lagging out and having to quit might affect it though in the case of our foreign friends. Plus we almost always had one or two decent people so at least for us it was harder to get ridiculously steamrolled due to incompetent teammates.

As for the Player's Choice Awards, I voted for Legendary BR's... though I wouldn't mind Big Team Snipers too much, that style of snipers seem a little more exciting than 4v4's zzz-style gameplay on any of the bigger maps. I do wish they had Headlong for that though, best snipes map ever.

No Heavies, but Bravo mentioned in the comments that they are considering looking at integrating it into the matchmaking paradigm given player feedback in the near future to enhance smooth gameplay experience.

Not everyone can get a 50, exwife, jeez. I think lagging out and having to quit might affect it though in the case of our foreign friends. Plus we almost always had one or two decent people so at least for us it was harder to get ridiculously steamrolled due to incompetent teammates.

I didn't say everyone could get one, just that it's probably the easiest, not the least because of the individual rank instead of team rank. Plus, BTB has obj now too, so you can get points even if you aren't the most efficient killer.

Thats it!

Nah, the games reliance on AI to populate maps kinda bugs me and I am not the biggest fan of the map design and gametypes. Due to the low number of Pilots in the larger maps populated by AI, I feel the combat I engage in isn't as rewarding as games like Halo, BF, or CoD. While the parkour is fantastic, I feel it is a missed opportunity in some of the maps. Finally, I feel like the game suffers from an identity crisis, never fully realizing its own potential.

I think part of it has to do with titans being so quintessential to gameplay. Big pilotable things means more open areas or "negative spaces." To provide defensible positions and more routes for the equally-important infantry, however, you also have to have smaller, more intricate "mouseholes" scattered throughout. The problem now is that you've got above-average map sizes on average, and - while the vertical movement helps - the maps are still more often than not given gameplay displacement in a mostly horizontal fashion due to Respawn's prior history working on franchises where your characters can only run and jump, if that. As a result, the infantry's not-fast-enough movement speed combined with the player count results in a pretty frequent emptiness, similar to trying to play Blood Gulch with only 4 players. The easiest way to alleviate this without overclocking all the infantry to Quake-level movement speeds is by adding in "busywork," in this case the creeps. While racking up points is also a big reason they exist, note that League of Legends uses them for the same reason. Big, horizontally-planed maps with no vertical movement and slower movement speeds. What's the easiest way to keep you in the middle of fights between real PvP? Add in some busywork disguised as progress.

Omni

BTB CSR is based on individual performance. Probably the easiest 50 in the game. There is some loose skill matching though so the likelihood of playing decent people increases as you
Is it based upon individual performance in every playlist? I only play CTF these days. BTB isn't fun unless you're in a party, IMO

Is it based upon individual performance in every playlist? I only play CTF these days. BTB isn't fun unless you're in a party, IMO

CTF is team based (win/loss), BTB is individual. There's a slightly outdated explanation here: https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-4313

I didn't say everyone could get one, just that it's probably the easiest, not the least because of the individual rank instead of team rank. Plus, BTB has obj now too, so you can get points even if you aren't the most efficient killer.
I was es un chiste-ing, but yeah it definitely is the easiest I have to say.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really wish Halo 4 was backwards compatible on the XB1.

In other news, I like Titanfall, but man.. something just feels like it's missing, lacking. I can't put my finger on it, but the game just seems to be missing something.

I like the movement, but I felt just about everything else was garden variety fps fare. The 2 maps I've played are alright.

That said, the movement is REALLY good and kept me coming back.

Fuchsdh

I think part of it has to do with titans being so quintessential to gameplay. Big pilotable things means more open areas or "negative spaces." To provide defensible positions and more routes for the equally-important infantry, however, you also have to have smaller, more intricate "mouseholes" scattered throughout. The problem now is that you've got above-average map sizes on average, and - while the vertical movement helps - the maps are still more often than not given gameplay displacement in a mostly horizontal fashion due to Respawn's prior history working on franchises where your characters can only run and jump, if that. As a result, the infantry's not-fast-enough movement speed combined with the player count results in a pretty frequent emptiness, similar to trying to play Blood Gulch with only 4 players. The easiest way to alleviate this without overclocking all the infantry to Quake-level movement speeds is by adding in "busywork," in this case the creeps. While racking up points is also a big reason they exist, note that League of Legends uses them for the same reason. Big, horizontally-planed maps with no vertical movement and slower movement speeds. What's the easiest way to keep you in the middle of fights between real PvP? Add in some busywork disguised as progress.

I don't think you can compare mobs in MOBAs to AI bots in an FPS. The levelling up structure is integral to a MOBA and the mobs are also designed to be obstacles so games can't simply be won early on by a mass rush or lane push. At the least, it's not busywork.

Balancing the utility and self-importance of players in a map with vehicles and infantry is hard, though, and it's always something Halo's struggled with, so I'm not surprised Titanfall has issues.

(Thinking about it, I'd say vehicles in Halo have generally gotten weaker, though--leaving aside Halo 4's original loadout settings, the changes to vehicle health in Reach, plus the increased utility of non power weapons and the plasma pistol overcharge all significantly nerfed vehicles.)

Omni

Yikes, that's unfortunate. Who even came up with that?

Sometimes I get the feeling that they just put in these perks just to put in perks.
It's even worse when you finally destroy a Mantis by yourself and then he ejects out with a god damn SAW. I'm just thankful that most of the population is too cheap to buy the DLC and this one isn't as rampant as it could have been

I really want to slap the person who thought that the ejector perk was a good idea

Makes me cry

The eject thing could be interesting if you can perfom it manually by pressing a button for 3 secs then you get ejected but negates you from moving in the process.

Edit; The ability in its present form is horrible, you get ejected instantly with your remaining shields also you can even take advantage of this and be launched where you want fully aiming at your attacker is like an free jetpack ability.

Korten

Banned
Hey since it relates to Halo 4 and I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the next Halo: Escalation issue (Number 4), is out next Wednesday! For those who also didn't like the art work, it appears there is a new artist for this next storyline arc.

Ricardo Sanchez Arreola, to which may have done Green Arrow 2010-2011, I saw it mentioned but couldn't find anything else to reconfirm it.

Top Bottom