• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Hey since it relates to Halo 4 and I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the next Halo: Escalation issue (Number 4), is out next Wednesday! For those who also didn't like the art work, it appears there is a new artist for this next storyline arc.

Ricardo Sanchez Arreola, to which may have done Green Arrow 2010-2011, I saw it mentioned but couldn't find anything else to reconfirm it.

Maybe for the cover art but the entire comic? I want to see it.

willow ve

The eject thing could be interesting if you can perfom it manually by pressing a button for 3 secs then you get ejected but negates you from moving in the process.

Edit; The ability in its present form is horrible, you get ejected instantly with your remaining shields also you can even take advantage of this and be launched where you want fully aiming at your attacker is like an free jetpack ability.

Ran into a full party of players using eject in BTB. It was horrible. You would EMP and double stick a vehicle only to be killed instantly by the two fully shield players that got launched out of the explosion unharmed. It was just another in the long list of "who approved this?" moments for Halo 4.

Woorloog

Banned
I stopped using Survivor rather quickly after starting to use it. It wasn't reliable enough, i died 9 times our of 10 in a vehicle with it. That, or people shot me while i was in the air.
How come others are so lucky with it..,

Booties

Banned
I stopped using Survivor rather quickly after starting to use it. It wasn't reliable enough, i died 9 times our of 10 in a vehicle with it. That, or people shot me while i was in the air.
How come others are so lucky with it..,

If you are in a vehicle with low health then you are likely to have a lot more shields when it is destroyed. If you are in a full-health vehicle which gets withered down then destroyed, then you are going to have less shields when you eject. The above posted .gif is the exception to this bc the ghost gets lasered. That's probably why you have a problem with dying. Also, you suck at halo.

Woorloog

Banned
If you are in a vehicle with low health then you are likely to have a lot more shields when it is destroyed. If you are in a full-health vehicle which gets withered down then destroyed, then you are going to have less shields when you eject. The above posted .gif is the exception to this bc the ghost gets lasered. That's probably why you have a problem with dying. Also, you suck at halo.

I'm pretty sure you just die sometimes even with ejector from full shields when your vehicle explodes. Doubly irritating when your passenger survives without issues.
And i'm good (when i bother to be), i just have bad luck with some things. I guess it is the balance i talked about earlier, good luck (i have a lot of that often too) is always balanced with bad... Just why does it have to be in BTB, the mode i play most...

TheOddOne

So I keep seeing BSangel stuff all over twitter but I have no idea what's going on. Is she leaving 343?
She has a new job within 343:
If I seem a little sentimental, it’s because I am. I’ve loved every second I’ve spent as Community Manager for 343, and it’s because of this love that I’ve accepted a new position within the studio. In a matter of days, my new title will be "Studio Operations PM." It’s not particularly flashy nor impressive (I requested Chief Cat Consultant but was denied), but the potential impact I will have on the studio, and thus the franchise, is enticing, exciting, and, when you look at our goals, essential.
Aka making Frankie fat again.

Booties

Banned
I'm pretty sure you just die sometimes even with ejector from full shields when your vehicle explodes. Doubly irritating when your passenger survives without issues.
And i'm good (when i bother to be), i just have bad luck with some things. I guess it is the balance i talked about earlier, good luck (i have a lot of that often too) is always balanced with bad... Just why does it have to be in BTB, the mode i play most...

You sure you're not just being hit and not realizing it? This game is bad when it comes to that.

Woorloog

Banned
You sure you're not just being hit and not realizing it? This game is bad when it comes to that.

No idea. Can't test it anymore either, ran out of Live Gold.
Not that i ever cared for Survivor that much either. In Spartan Ops it would have been neat but it doesn't work there.

I'll just hope they get rid of perks for Halo 5.

Booties

Banned
No idea. Can't test it anymore either, ran out of Live Gold.
Not that i ever cared for Survivor that much either. In Spartan Ops it would have been neat but it doesn't work there.

I'll just hope they get rid of perks for Halo 5.

*facepalm* get live, kid.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 3 is free for Live users.

I have Halo 3 and Mythic Disc too. And Games With Gold offers last only for a month, no? Also, HDD almost full as it is.
Can't play MP without Gold though, and Halo 3 doesn't have enough players anymore, along with horribly slow matchmaking anyway.
I meant what i said as "If Halo 4 were like Halo 3, i'd keep playing". It is not. Reach wasn't either.

Booties

Banned
Yeah, not to go too far off topic, but there are a lot of free games with gold that are worth playing. The online aspects are all but dead, but worth downloading. I dunno if you need gold to play them. Halo 3 you obviously do, but other games you may not.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, not to go too far off topic, but there are a lot of free games with gold that are worth playing. The online aspects are all but dead, but worth downloading. I dunno if you need gold to play them. Halo 3 you obviously do, but other games you may not.

I got a bunch of free games from the last 3 months. Not a single one is interesting (if they were interesting, i would have bought them ages ago already). On the plus side, each one has single player if i ever want to play them. (Is Dead Island any good? It is the most interesting one.)
Can't get previous GwG games with GwG though, the offer is only valid for a month then you are offered a new selection.

How wonderful it would have been if MS had dropped Halo 3 MP requiring Gold when they made it a GwG game.

EDIT or made Halo 4 GwG game.

Fuchsdh

I got a bunch of free games from the last 3 months. Not a single one is interesting (if they were interesting, i would have bought them ages ago already). On the plus side, each one has single player if i ever want to play them. (Is Dead Island any good? It is the most interesting one.)
Can't get previous GwG games with GwG though, the offer is only valid for a month then you are offered a new selection.

How wonderful it would have been if MS had dropped Halo 3 MP requiring Gold when they made it a GwG game.

EDIT or made Halo 4 GwG game.

I've got Assassin's Creed II, Iron Brigade, Keflings, and GoL that I'd never played and enjoyed, as well as the games I'm probably never going to play like GoW. For the many millions of people who joined this gen late GwG has been great.

As for Survivor, I think I'd conceptually enjoy it similarly to my mind-canon for how Armor Lock should have worked—you've got a one second or shorter invul mode with a long cooldown so you have to time it right and decide when to try and shrug off a sniper round or grenade or not; maybe make a one or two second charge-up for Survivor so you can blow yourself clear, rather than it being automatic.

That's a complaint I have with the tac packages in general; they'd be a more interesting metagame if they had to be invoked rather than just slapped on a loadout.

Woorloog

Banned
That's a complaint I have with the tac packages in general; they'd be a more interesting metagame if they had to be invoked rather than just slapped on a loadout.

So, what, additional set of armor abilities with different effects?
Were this the case, i'd miss the simplicity of having only Armor Lock and a few other AAs even more than i do now (ironic, i dislike Reach but still i prefer some things from it to Halo 4's stuff) compared to clusterfuck Halo 4, how hard it it is to keep track of all possibilities.

Post-patch Armor Lock was so easy to defeat, it was pure folly to use it in BTB, bait people to lock and kill them.

Speaking of Armor Lock and its H4 equivalent Hardlight Shield. Deflecting Gauss gun shots is damn fun in Halo 4, if you manage it.

Fuchsdh

So, what, additional set of armor abilities with different effects?
Were this the case, i'd miss the simplicity of having only Armor Lock and a few other AAs even more than i do now (ironic, i dislike Reach but still i prefer some things from it to Halo 4's stuff) compared to clusterfuck Halo 4, how hard it it is to keep track of all possibilities.

Post-patch Armor Lock was so easy to defeat, it was pure folly to use it in BTB, bait people to lock and kill them.

Speaking of Armor Lock and its H4 equivalent Hardlight Shield. Deflecting Gauss gun shots is damn fun in Halo 4, if you manage it.

I'm not exactly arguing for another layer of armor ability lite, more that if such abilities are in game, from a play standpoint I prefer things that have to be invoked consciously. It's one thing to know this guy can throw down a shield, another if he's got a passive ability to recharge faster. While I think there should be stronger visuals for all the AAs, there'd be no effective way to show all the tac packages even if they'd tried, so it really becomes muddy.

Chettlar

Banned
It's even worse when you finally destroy a Mantis by yourself and then he ejects out with a god damn SAW. I'm just thankful that most of the population is too cheap to buy the DLC and this one isn't as rampant as it could have been

Stop, or I shall have nightmares about this survive-the-heaven-forsaken-vehicle-when-it-explodes perk being included with vanilla Halo 5.

All but dead? Normally yes, but when they become free the population soars. Iron Brigade, for example, was super easy to get a match. Now if you try, it takes a lot longer. I was lucky I barely got enough people each time to get the all Gold Medals achievement.

Halo 4 DLC really needs to be GWG.

FYC

Banned
PU1u9Kj.jpg

We'll be live at http://www.twitch.tv/Xbox at 1PM PT today - tune in for an epic #Halo4 match, giveaways, and more!

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-u...m-343-pros-vs-community-pros-exhibition-match

Neat.

Hey since it relates to Halo 4 and I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the next Halo: Escalation issue (Number 4), is out next Wednesday! For those who also didn't like the art work, it appears there is a new artist for this next storyline arc.

Ricardo Sanchez Arreola, to which may have done Green Arrow 2010-2011, I saw it mentioned but couldn't find anything else to reconfirm it.

Hmm, the Dark Horse site does say he's the penciller for all the upcoming issues instead of Sergio, although Sergio is listed for Issue 7. Also, Rob Lean seems to be the inker on the issues Ricardo is pencilling. http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/escalation

daedalius

Looking forward to escalation 4 after what happened in 3.

exhibition match should be fun

Titanfall is amazing, if the Mantis comes back, it had better have boosts, and not as shitty of guns.

Nebula

Ran into a full party of players using eject in BTB. It was horrible. You would EMP and double stick a vehicle only to be killed instantly by the two fully shield players that got launched out of the explosion unharmed. It was just another in the long list of "who approved this?" moments for Halo 4.

You found why it was added.

Also if I'm on tomorrow/Sunday it will be after 7pm because I'm working.

Woorloog

Banned
It's stupid to add survivor, to fix the mistake they made loadout wise.

Escalating never works.
Mechwarrior Online is a good example of this flawed design philosophy. Overpowered equipment, ECM. How do they deal with it? Nerf it? Of course not, that would be too easy. Instead, they add an expensive marginal module (read: perk) that gives you slight countermeasure for ECM. One that they can sell for real money...
Survivor is not that bad, i mean compared to all the shit in MWO. Still annoying, and doubly annoying because it doesn't work for me.

Plasma Grenades and Plasma Pistols in loadouts are OP, the correct fix to this is to disallow them, or nerf them (of course, in practice you can't do the latter, for it breaks their place in the sandbox, or nerfs them superficially but not their actual use).

I really, really hope 343i is studying their (and Bungie's, let's not claim they didn't make big mistakes) mistakes. I don't care if they admit them or not, just make sure they don't repeat these mistakes in Halo 5. (And also take steps to make post-launch fixing and patching easy in case there are other mistakes, and react fast).

Recently I got civilization revolution from games with gold. Found it very amusing and kept me busy until titanfall.

Eh all these perks, ejector was the cherry on top of how ridiculous it had gotten. Fun yeah sure in BTB, but they really don't belong in halo. But it's highly probable that they will return unfortunately. Halo used to set the standard, games would try to capture it's fan base. Now it's slipped down the ranks and became a follower itself. Hopefully we will see less of these negative elements (perks, AA's ordnance etc) now that COD isn't really the industry leader with the beginning of this new gen.

Ain't he a community manager? What the hell is that position anyway... Tell the community to shut fuck up or line up for an event?

Damage control guy with fancy words.

Eh, i don't think i'd take that job if it were offered for me. It's like "you get blamed for us" job...

More like he have to listen kids whinning about how "343i destroyed halo 5" while being in constant work in Halo development.

Woorloog

Banned
More like he have to listen kids whinning about how "343i destroyed halo 5" while being in constant work in Halo development.
Indeed, which is why i wouldn't want that job.
Good to see Woorloog being as flippant and edgy as always.

Always flippant and disrespectful, that's how i roll. Don't know 'bout edgy. EDIT Or perhaps i am that too.
Though internet anonymity has a lot to do with that, IRL i'm considerably nicer. Also quiet sort.

Indeed, which is why i wouldn't want that job.

Always flippant and disrespectful, that's how i roll. Don't know 'bout edgy. EDIT Or perhaps i am that too.
Though internet anonymity has a lot to do with that, IRL i'm considerably nicer. Also quiet sort.

You're also humble.

Unpopular opinion time: I don't really think the Mantis looks all that different to UNSC tech, it just happened to come along during the lensman's race of weird change-for-the-sake-of-change designs.

Woorloog

Banned
You're also humble.
Am i? Not a word i would use for myself, internet or IRL.
Unpopular opinion time: I don't really think the Mantis looks all that different to UNSC tech, it just happened to come along during the lensman's race of weird change-for-the-sake-of-change designs.

The legs. The torso/arms look UNSC all right. The legs are too thin and odd. And that... dick-thing.
That it is a mech bothers me more than its looks otherwise, but as i noted about Halo 4 Mantis concept art, there wasn't a design i liked.
Not sure how a UNSC mech should look like though. Perhaps a bit Titan-likelegs?

Woorloog

Banned
Very very nice covers. Reminds me of Cryptum and Primordium covers (and Silentium, before the cover was replaced with the horrible final cover).

willow ve

You found why it was added.

Also if I'm on tomorrow/Sunday it will be after 7pm because I'm working.
It's the classic Halo 4 conundrum where they "fix" a problem area by throwing more problems at it. Should have just limited loadouts in BTB to not allow plasma pistols.

Woorloog

Banned
It's the classic Halo 4 conundrum where they "fix" a problem area by throwing more problems at it. Should have just limited loadouts in BTB to not allow plasma pistols.

The Plasma Pistol should be pre-placed on the maps, treat it like a semi-power weapon.
Or in Infinity settings, dropped weapon.

Omni

I'm noticing a trend tonight. Use active camo whenever you notice an enemy approaching, hide in a corner until they come into view and then just spam the carbine at them

Surprisingly effective. And (unsurprisingly) really annoying.

Top Bottom