• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Duji

I'd say the reason acceleration and momentum exist are for two reasons:

acceleration to change direction lends weight to movement, and solves an issue where if you just control the player via raw inputs, you'll end with what's called the "floating gun" problem. It'll suddenly become very apparent that you're a floating gun being pasted over a camera view. Lending weight to movement, much like you would have in real life, has a better feel to it and makes you feel like you're in the world instead of looking at it. Now, you can fine tune this to be faster. You can have acceleration and momentum that's fast.

I've played games like Quake that have instant strafing (as I perceive) and I do not recall any "floating gun" problem. Is this problem 100% guaranteed with instant movement?

I don't think you get what I meant. I was talking about the fact that game code only allows 30 spartan movements in a second to match the ideal frame rate of 30 fps. Refer to my man cannon example which is to be done on your local console, getting rid of networking factors. I'm not talking about the frame rates we're getting on our TVs. So even if my console chugs at 20 fps during a million explosions, the game code itself is nonetheless running at 30 fps and thus the Spartans are still moving at 30 movements per second. Switching over to 60 fps means they'll have to make it so that there are (at least) at most 60 Spartan movements in a second.

Think of it like a camera pointing at a clock. The camera being our video output and the clock being the game code running. Sometimes our camera drops some frames but this does not affect the clock. I'm saying we need to make the clock tick in a less jerky fashion by making the second hand perhaps move every 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second. This will come naturally if they design the entire game to be 60 fps.

I was just pointing out a minor problem with 30 fps in Halo. I 100% agree that input latency is the biggest problem.

Refer to my first post, many elements for online multiplayer are network driven, not fps or console driven e.g. player movements or grenade pick ups or weapon switching or boarding a vehicle or host decisions between multiple players. Simplistically the environment objects and some hitscan weapons for bullet hit detections are console side and could benefit from 60fps. I'm wondering if hitcan is even going to be the method used with X1 dedis?

Increasing the fps does absolutely nothing for a large percentage of host/server aspects. By looking solely at fps you're missing the majority the point to my reply.

Further 60fps is rarely a complete fullscreen frame every single frame, it's usually a technical trick that uses approximation or pixel/false pixelation or fallback techniques during slow processing times etc. There are a number of techniques employed by various developers for how 60 fps is achieved, rarely are games processing a full 100% computation for each individual frame.

Sure Halo X1's implementation could be something different or unique but it's not going to work across all mechanics like you want it to just by updating to 60fps. Dedis are going to far more to level the playing field and increase the experience quality for players e.g. reactive controls, accurate shots, accurate player movements, closer sync'ing of various client in-game actions and more.

Any how I just wanted to shed some light on aspects to your post and I won't bother shitting up the thread further.

Duji

So does a 60 fps Halo game mean double the hitbox information is being sent back and forth? Maybe you or FyreWulff can answer this.

eg a {Player, Location} packet 60 times a second for every player? Or does it not even work like that at all?

btw Ozzy I originally meant to say "I encourage any critics of 60 fps instead" of "30 fps" in my original post. IDK if that caused any confusion.

FyreWulff

I've played games like Quake that have instant strafing (as I perceive) and I do not recall any "floating gun" problem. Is this problem 100% guaranteed with instant movement?

Aiming still has acceleration to it. It's not just movement acceleration.

Halo has aiming acceleration, gun lean for strafing (was in Halo 1, brought back in Reach), and simulates neck movement for when you look up and down instead of just being a pivot on an angle since Halo 2. (When you look up, your view moves on a small arc and slightly back. When you look down, your view will actually move forward a bit and arc down to account for the neck being in the way)

The stuff with the mongoose, suppressor and pulse grenades probably means you're ludicrously lucky.

I can consistently get Suppressor and Pulse Grenade kills. For some reason all the Promethean starting weapons (Boltshot notwithstanding) click with me more than the others.

The Suppressor and Pulse Grenades also work wonderfully well accordingly as long as you have a finisher in mind. Hoping to chuck a space pineapple at a Spartan and Reaching them to death isn't going to happen. Using them together, though, they can become surprisingly aggressive tools for anti-zoning and closing distance.

60fps and dedicated servers are both good things I think. 60fps is noticeably different in a game and can be a little strange at first but I think even weirdo hipsters* will forget about it after a while. Going from 50+fps Crysis 2/3 on my PC to the powerpoint slideshow that is Halo 4 was far more jarring than the reverse.

*Fusschdgh gets a pass for working in animation and therefore having certain framerates seared into his brain.

Fuchsdh

*Fusschdgh gets a pass for working in animation and therefore having certain framerates seared into his brain.

If you want seared, you can throw me pretty much any random horizontal or vertical dimensions and I can give you the corresponding dimension for 16:9 or 4:3. And I can give you the proper frame pulldown methods for converting 15/24/30/48/50/60 into one another. That space in my brain has been forever lost.

Watching the Halo 4 stream now. It's been pretty good thus far.

60fps and dedicated servers are both good things I think. 60fps is noticeably different in a game and can be a little strange at first but I think even weirdo hipsters* will forget about it after a while. Going from 50+fps Crysis 2/3 on my PC to the powerpoint slideshow that is Halo 4 was far more jarring than the reverse.

bububu prinz you draw static pictures! thats not just 1 frame per second, thats 1 frame forever!

halo am need 60FPS badly. Give me 720p, locked 60FPS and a relative generational equivalent to Halo 3's lighting engine and I'll be a happy man.

gAg CruSh3r

Doesn't have to be. In a game where you have fast kill times and everything feels incredibly responsive, sprint becomes less important. Take CE for example, if that game has sprint and people used it during a firefight to run away, they'd be dead. If you're engaged in that game, your best option is to fight back unless you were aware enough to set up in a position that has cover nearby.

In this setting, sprint is simply a way to get from point A to point B. In a game with a shield+health system where you have that risk/reward (Reach, Halo 4), we see it being used as a means to escape/run away from fights more often than not. I think players have developed in such a way that if they start a sprint, then they have to commit to it because of how long the transition takes. Sometimes you'll start a sprint, get shot and want to fight back but in that moment it feels like an eternity to begin shooting again
(compare this feeling to equipping the Sword or Gravity Hammer in Halo 3; you better have that shit equipped already before getting close to someone or else you're going to be dead because of how long it takes -- this led to players having the Sword/Hammer equipped already whereas in Halo 2 they could just take it out and slice people rather quickly (the way it should be IMO))
. I think if we had a more responsive sprint, you'd see less people using it in ways that stales gameplay and prolongs fights, but more as a tool for traversal on larger maps. Also, I know the opposite can be argued in the sense that "well sprint + any game with shields means people will run away after getting shot first," but I don't think that'll be the case if Halo were to have shooting mechanics similar to CE. Again, take Murder Miners for example.

Note: I should throw out there that I too want sprint removed, but if it is to return then this is the only way I'd like it.

This is a great idea. I can see this working really well. I just hope they figure out a great movement speed and great gameplay. I'm kinda on the fence about between keeping sprint or not. I enjoy the faster movement speed but I do hate the running away from the battle scenario.

Chettlar

Banned
bububu prinz you draw static pictures! thats not just 1 frame per second, thats 1 frame forever!

halo am need 60FPS badly. Give me 720p, locked 60FPS and a relative generational equivalent to Halo 3's lighting engine and I'll be a happy man.

I feel terribly behind in all this, but what does our friend Eugn draw?

So does a 60 fps Halo game mean double the hitbox information is being sent back and forth? Maybe you or FyreWulff can answer this.

eg a {Player, Location} packet 60 times a second for every player? Or does it not even work like that at all?

btw Ozzy I originally meant to say "I encourage any critics of 60 fps instead" of "30 fps" in my original post. IDK if that caused any confusion.

I would suggest Fyre or a 343i employee would be better suited to answer but I'll be up front and say this is personal speculation as I don't know all the ins/outs of exact methods used here.

With respect to just bullet detection YES your local console will be sending more hitbox information upstream to the host/server. With respect to receiving information back about where other players are, what they are doing, where their shots are going and all that then NO. To me it's not a black and white answer, it's a combination of systems in play and could even alter game by game or moment by moment, especially on P2P networking. Your local console fills in the blanks and updates as it receives host/server data, this is the cause of your jerkiness and it won't magically disappear by upping the framerate to 60fps.

My guess summary points:

1. Your hitscan detection for bullet firing would be every frame on your local console, this is then sent to the server/host and they decide between a bunch of client streams which are valid and which aren't e.g. who got shot, who died first, which shots get cancelled or "mis-reported" or just plain missed etc.

2. Your personal movement is local to your console and again every frame is streamed to the server/host which then decides who was really where and doing what then reporting that back down stream to all clients. Essentially you're in a different position than you think you are on another players console in the same game. Dedis will heavily reduce this in future.

3. All other player movements/shots/grenade pickups/vehicles (non-local processing) would be sub-60fps, I just don't see the host/server and Internet latency keeping pace for all players and at 60fps. So whatever available "stream" can keep pace is used. In current day Halo that is P2P host streaming which would have to calculate all players upstream data then reply as one universal downstream. In HX1 dedis change this and provide far more bandwidth and server resources for both up/down streams. As to how often these updates occur? This is the part I can't answer with great accuracy, perhaps it's every 3 frames you're receiving game updates from the server/host, most likely this fluctuates heavily in P2P e.g. Aussie on USA host is like 5-10 frames behind where other USA gamers are only 3 frames behind. Basically my Aussie console hit detection says I killed the USA player but the host receives a conflicting timestamp that says the USA console killed me first, so I get killed by latency and thus 60fps/hitscan didn't care due to conflict.

4. Again I point to one of my first posts and show 60fps as 16.67ms, factor in latency for a round trip from the client and back again from the host and you're at a minimum of say 50ms-150ms. So developers process things like hitscan locally so you fee like you're actually all playing the same game but in reality you're all playing variants of the same game and the host keeps all players up to date on the events. It keeps itself up to date by taking into account all the player upstreams then decides each action from there.

5. So the real answer to your question is both yes AND no, it depends on which mechanic or combination of mechanics/networking you're talking about and what latency/timestamp has occurred between various players with a final host/server decision being sent back downstream. If gamers are at even as low as 40ms (which is very uncommon) then again 30fps is basically more than good enough for the host to receive, decide and send back.

6. The games we play online are just approximations, it's now to the level of near magic and the lower latency we keep sustaining the closer those games are to all players actually playing the same game. On LAN however latency is usually between 1-3ms so there your 60fps can make a world of difference over 30fps.

7. Modes like campaign coop or Firefight/SPOPS use a different networking technique and therefore all things gets sync e.g. button input or your player movements.

Tawpgun

I doubt this will happen. Isn't that whole risk/reward aspect of sprint? Burst of speed but can't do anything else?

Actually, I can see it working.

When in a firefight you won't be able to go as fast as someone sprinting.

So sprinting is used for traversal/evasion/mobility etc, but the time it takes to get out of sprint will be "realistically" miniscule. It won't be as fast as not sprinting, but close to it.

I'd be ok with this. Fuck the risk and reward.

Doesn't have to be. In a game where you have fast kill times and everything feels incredibly responsive, sprint becomes less important. Take CE for example, if that game has sprint and people used it during a firefight to run away, they'd be dead. If you're engaged in that game, your best option is to fight back unless you were aware enough to set up in a position that has cover nearby.
I know it doesn't have to be, I just can't see it happening is all.

I feel terribly behind in all this, but what does our friend Eugn draw?

This is actually relevant to Halo 4, since these are my take on what these particular guns should have looked like in it:

Light Rifle:
light_rifle_re_done__colored__by_prinzeugn-d5odv55.jpg

Battle Rifle (designed with assistance from HaloGAF):
halo_battle_rifle_re_imagining_by_prinzeugn-d6rwpkh.png

Huh, not to scale apparently.

Other random art, yay me.

After a week and a bit of titanfall I miss halo. I'm guessing a few games of 4 will encourage me not to hook up my 360 for another few weeks.

Mistel

Banned
I can consistently get Suppressor and Pulse Grenade kills. For some reason all the Promethean starting weapons (Boltshot notwithstanding) click with me more than the others.

The Suppressor and Pulse Grenades also work wonderfully well accordingly as long as you have a finisher in mind. Hoping to chuck a space pineapple at a Spartan and Reaching them to death isn't going to happen. Using them together, though, they can become surprisingly aggressive tools for anti-zoning and closing distance.
I don't use them because they are the weakest choices to pick and seem like a waste. In btb I could punch them or pick up an AR from a body if I'm really going for close quarters stuff. Plus there's few places I can think to use them on maps really not enough for constant use.

As a little aside why do you spawn with one pulse grenade instead of two?

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
This is a great idea. I can see this working really well. I just hope they figure out a great movement speed and great gameplay. I'm kinda on the fence about between keeping sprint or not. I enjoy the faster movement speed but I do hate the running away from the battle scenario.

Why not just move at a reasonably fast pace all the time? Seems the most obvious solution if the game feels too slow. But oh no a jarring restrictive mechanic such as sprint with gun lowered and transitional delays must be used because, you know, realism. Lol.

willow ve

So is there a playlist where you can still get the last set of achievements? I've fine most of the ricochet stuff, but I can't seem to get the pit or the other map in any list.

Fuchsdh

Still waiting on my halo 5 forge beta.

whens the next halogaf customs, I havent been paying much attention since we lost our OT

I'm thinking of hosting customs this weekend if no one else is.

The Pit seems to come up a bit in CTF actually. I actually got the rocket launcher achievement a few days ago

Got the rocket launcher achievement first game I popped into the DLC playlist. I didn't bother heading towards rockets as I was slow out the gate so wandered about a bit and then two minutes later realized no one had bothered picking up them.

God bless remake DLC--for a few matches even a mediocre player such as I can be king :p

Also, your voice MTAF freaked me out. So good on that.

So is there a playlist where you can still get the last set of achievements? I've fine most of the ricochet stuff, but I can't seem to get the pit or the other map in any list.

A lot of the new achievements don't require a specific map. We could get a GAF party together and go into TS.

Omni

Got the rocket launcher achievement first game I popped into the DLC playlist. I didn't bother heading towards rockets as I was slow out the gate so wandered about a bit and then two minutes later realized no one had bothered picking up them.

God bless remake DLC--for a few matches even a mediocre player such as I can be king :p

Also, your voice MTAF freaked me out. So good on that.
I actually joined a match several minutes in, picked up the rockets as they respawned and still got the achievement. Must be bugged, I think. As the match was way past the initial rush *shrugs*

and hahaha. I sent that, went to change my gamertag and found out I couldn't. So now I have to wait days and days for MS support to get back to me. So annoying

willow ve

A lot of the new achievements don't require a specific map. We could get a GAF party together and go into TS.
There are two cheevos that do require specific actions on specific maps. The other achievements can be done in standard matchmaking.

I only got the maps because I had credit set to expire and I really missed The Pit. But now I feel compelled to finish all the achievements as they're the only Halo ones I don't have outside Halo Wars.

This is actually relevant to Halo 4, since these are my take on what these particular guns should have looked like in it:

Light Rifle:

I like these, but I will say, the stock and grip of the Light Rifle look a little too human.

I do like the BR, but at the same time I liked Halo 4's BR. It would have been cool to get a classic model BR along the new one as an unlock.

I do like the BR, but at the same time I liked Halo 4's BR. It would have been cool to get a classic model BR along the new one as an unlock.
I would LOVE for this to be a thing.
While those design are really ace, it's all about the first person view. It needs to be clean and not be a hindrance in the POV.
The FOV being improved would help with this. That's one of the reasons I love the CE Magnum; it was a small weapon that was powerful and didn't take up a good portion of the screen.

Chettlar

Banned

Light Rifle:

Oh yes, I do remember the Battle Rifle design.

And yes, I still emphatically think that is what the official BR should look like. Seriously, I love the design.

Kind of gives me Reach/CE (I have no idea why CE, it just does) vibes.

Nebula

I'm really struggling with my team somehow losing when I'm getting 30 kills playing like an idiot.

If they are matched on the opposite team this might be a good game providing I get a good map.

I would like for some Promethean weapon designs to look as though they attach to the arm, similar to Samus's cannons in appearance but as actual weapons to be picked up:
Beams.png

Promethean weapons "mold" to the user, no? That's why the Prometheans never appear to be holding them, but rather look like an extension of their body.
Oh yes, I do remember the Battle Rifle design.

And yes, I still emphatically think that is what the official BR should look like. Seriously, I love the design.

Kind of gives me Reach/CE (I have no idea why CE, it just does) vibes.
Might have something to do with a jungle/terrain vibe I get from it, which reminds me of CE because of the exploration in those environments; a lot of land. It also looks like a weapon you'd see in Jurassic Park.

I did not know Titanfall was like this by design, but from those loading menu tips: "Leverage your momentum. When landing while in motion, jump as you touch the ground to go even faster."

It was lessened in Halo 4, but I would love for this to return. So many little things that have been taken away or "refined" (if it were to be described by devs) that added to the meta game.

Chettlar

Banned
I would like for some Promethean weapon designs to look as though they attach to the arm, similar to Samus's cannons in appearance but as actual weapons to be picked up:
Beams.png

Promethean weapons "mold" to the user, no? That's why the Prometheans never appear to be holding them, but rather look like an extension of their body.

That's what I was thinking too. And the thing is, the way their designed is PERFECT for that. Like, how you have that "force" thing holding the pieces together. Just have the parts close in around your arm.

Would love to see a giant pistol thing or whatever.

You know what would be really cool? A promethean grappling hook gun that fits around your arm. Eugn, draw one. Do it. Doesn't even have to be a "hook" per se. Just something that attaches to things and does what grappling hook guns do.

Neca just tweeted out a cool pic of their Master Chief figure:

http://i.imgur.com/rbqS1M9.jpg

Always liked this armor design. Especially the helmet. Looks like a huge special tank soldier who can also survive in space while still being really flexible. Which is exactly what MC is.

Fuchsdh

I've been mostly against the armor for the retconning, but I think aesthetically the only thing I really dislike is the shoulders. They make the rest of him look skinnier and just seem oddly bulky and not aerodynamic.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 2 armor is the best armor, Halo CE armor close runner up.

I never saw why. Halo 2's armor is actually pretty ugly, and sort of silly. Especially the "dice pattern hands."

I mean, seriously, it looks like somebody took the face off a die and put it on his hand and feet.

4's design looked badass. it's the one thing I think Halo 4 did much better than the other games.

Top Bottom