• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Chettlar

Banned
How many games, which playlists and maps, and which maps do you think are bad? You said you thought most Halo 4 maps are bad, so where's that coming from?

Hey, pro tip, don't try to make jokes about things you actually know very little about to people who actually know quite a bit.

Start thinking more about what you post (this has been a perennial issue with your posting), especially when you are in a solid position of ignorance regarding the subject.

Here's an example of an informed opinion. I think Abandon is bad because it seems like the beach side of the map are at the mercy of people on the high ground, but the high ground isn't particularly well designed since there is so much room around the periphery for enemies to spawn and flank. It's essentially spawn roulette; you might spawn in a flanking position... or you might spawn in a firing line. There are just too many paths and too much cover in the center structure, which ends up turning into a zone of infinite boltshot and simply provides too many opportunities to bail out of encounters. Infinity exacerbates every problem, but Legendary BR's can't seem to save it either. In the 94 games I've apparently played on it, it's very frequently been a random, frustrating experience. On SWAT or Snipes I find it tolerable since the escaping-into-cover issue isn't as bad, but those gametypes make spawning issues become even more apparent.

Well, right, and I actually do do that. It wasn't in this thread, but I did give an appraisal of why I thought things like sprint were bad and want things we could do to help evolve the Halo multiplayer without killing the core gameplay. It was a long, in-depth post.

So yeah, I do do that. But this was sort of a passing joke. Which, I mean, what you're saying is fine, it's just kind of weird because it happens routinely on GAF.

It didn't really seem out of line. It was more of a poke at the game. That's kind of what not being serious usually involves. Making a surface level, trite observation about something.

If I had been serious you best bet I would go much more in depth. It just seems odd that you're calling me out on this when I see it all over GAF is all. I'll be more sober then I guess, as I can't really deny what you're saying. It just seems a little odd how worked up you and stormtrooper got over a little passing jab. I'm pretty sure most would have ignored it.

Woorloog

Banned
Come on man, I'm not shallow like that. Don't disregard my post history because you think I have an agenda or I'm being overly biased. Not saying that's what you're doing, but that's what it feels like.
I did say seems like. You do often mention Halo CE when talking about something, and comparing to it. But then i guess i do say "Halo 3" a lot...
Sorry 'bout that.
You might have missed my posts on this in the past, but I think don't consider CE a perfect game. The controls alone are why I wouldn't ever want a direct remake; they weren't as responsive/tight as I would've liked. And that's not to mention the myriad of improvements made after CE.
I mostly recall when you/we talk about stuff like the sandbox or maps or... dunno, anything but controls or other less obvious improvements. You know, the stuff we tend to clash about (at least we ain't having the BR vs Halo CE magnum discussion. Can't recall if have...). So, yeah, i've probably missed everything else you say about Halo CE.
I know only 3 of us are having this convo, but I can't be the only person who remembers how many people hated Equipment. Even in HaloGAF threads people hated them, albeit not as much as AA's.
Well, i can't say what GAF thought about Halo 3 really, i joined around Reach Beta. Don't recall them being hated elsewhere, AAs on the other hand seem to be getting a lot more hate.
I know i think the equipment one of the best additions to shooters ever, stuff that ain't (direct) weapons but tactical tools. I guess stuff like it has been added before but if so, they were in games i haven't played (but then i didn't play much shooter before Halo, certainly not MP ones). (Class-based games don't count). (COD4MW is one of the best shooters i've played but frankly, stuff it popularized isn't stuff i like, excepting ADS in certain types of shooters, namely those that try to be more realistic and/or immersive. Not that there are many...)
I liked dual wielding too and would like for it to return, but only if weapons are already bundled together (ie: you can only pick up 2 Spikers, not one). Bungie's implementation of dual wielding was not to my liking either; they made each individual weapon weaker when dual wielded instead of adjusting other traits like recoil, etc. -- made no sense.

I'm actually all for keeping some AA's for Custom Games (Jet Pack), but I don't know if I believe they'll stay out of Matchmaking.

Taking away the ability to mix and match one-hand weapons takes away the whole point of dual wielding :/ (non-mixable dual wielding is always boring in other games). Even though it is the reason for them being a balancing nightmare...

I don't believe 343i really listens before i see the proof (ofc i treat the whole game industry like this). I'm not afraid they'll fuck the campaign for i liked Halo 4 campaign but the rest... Halo 4 MP is not a total clusterfuck either but it isn't much above Reach so i'm kind of worried. (Though not as worried about that as i'm about whether MS can actually get me to get Xbone. Halo alone won't cut it no matter what it will be).

Well, right, and I actually do do that. It wasn't in this thread, but I did give an appraisal of why I thought things like sprint were bad and want things we could do to help evolve the Halo multiplayer without killing the core gameplay. It was a long, in-depth post.

So yeah, I do do that. But this was sort of a passing joke. Which, I mean, what you're saying is fine, it's just kind of weird because it happens routinely on GAF.

It didn't really seem out of line. It was more of a poke at the game. That's kind of what not being serious usually involves. Making a surface level, trite observation about something.

If I had been serious you best bet I would go much more in depth. It just seems odd that you're calling me out on this when I see it all over GAF is all. I'll be more sober then I guess, as I can't really deny what you're saying. It just seems a little odd how worked up you and stormtrooper got over a little passing jab. I'm pretty sure most would have ignored it.

A passing insult to the community that this thread was made for! You don't see why that's irritating?

People "do it all the time" because they actually play the games they are disparaging. They have some basis for doing so while you made a huge leap in reasoning based off of non-existent evidence for your poorly delivered "half-serious" whatever-lol-stream-of-consciousness post, which was in direct response to someone who just played the game to boot. Don't try to joke about what you have no clue about, it's just ends up being gibberish clogging up the thread, which- another pro-tip- isn't particularly amusing.

Go play some more games and then we'll see if you have anything real to add rather than being this running meta-commentary on what other people have posted. Or hell, just talk about what games you did play "this month."

So, what playlists did you play?

How many games?

What maps?

What gametypes?

Or basically, stop pretending you can make relevant observations, witty or not, about something you are apparently unfamiliar with.

Mistel

Banned
Team Snipers was voted above either of those? Hell it was an option to vote for? Also no secondary is so bad to watch. People just shuffling like idiots or trying to melee.
I know it's such a regrettable outcome but it's a rather forlorn hope really that any of the other two would have been chosen due to the demographics of voters. I'm not sure why it was put in the vote anyway some objective stuff would have been nice. But neutral flag with mantis's sets of alarm bells really.

Yeah seriously y'all are gonna get this closed like the general thread. I'd like somewhere to still piss and moan about Halo as well as get updates on customs since I keep missing them.

Can you guys take this to a PM pliss? We're all terrible posters anyway..

B]

Oh, completely by coincidence and obviously unrelated, but I finally have someone on my ignore list. Spoiler:
It's not anyone one who has played Halo 4 before 2014.

Hm, I was sort of looking forward to Big Team Snipers, but I think I keep remember how fun it was on Headlong rather than any 4 map.

And Neutral flag has always been iffy in matchmaking, the tactics are too obvious (not scoring the flag until you have teammates at the flag spawn). Shame one-flag can't happen.

I'll try to be on this weekend, had to get a new headset.

Team Snipers was voted above either of those? Hell it was an option to vote for? Also no secondary is so bad to watch. People just shuffling like idiots or trying to melee.

Can't believe they let those two lose to Snipers.

It was a pretty close vote when I checked it. I voted for whichever non-BTB Snipers option was closest to beating BTB Snipers...but my efforts were in vain.

At this point I'm hoping for some kind of 24 v. 24 or 32 v. 32 option in Halo 5 so that 343 can put all the personal ordinance, perks, AAs, and randomness in those playlists since at those player counts random shit is happening all the time anyways.

Then they can remove all that stuff from the arena-shooter style playlists from FFA all the way up to 8 v 8 and give us back the Halo gameplay that made the franchise a system seller.

If Halo 4 had searchable Custom Games, my 360 would still be hooked up. Just throwing that out there..

While we argue about this and debate about that, at the end of the day this needs to become a reality with Halo 5. The benefits should be obvious by now after years of arguing what should go into Matchmaking when THE GAME WE WANT TO PLAY is practically right there, waiting to be edited and easily played with others if we had the tools to do so.

Give us the power and we'll give the world a long-lasting Halo game.

Mistel

Banned
Thinking about it I can't think where some of the flags would actually go on the big team maps.

Meltdown would have it in the middle right in the open either above or below the bridge, Vortex is just too asymmetrical for a logical placement without favoring one team and Ragnarok would just be a slaughter with the long range combat in the sandbox.

Thinking about it I can't think where some of the flags would actually go on the big team maps.

Meltdown would have it in the middle right in the open either above or below the bridge, Vortex is just too asymmetrical for a logical placement without favoring one team and Ragnarok would just be a slaughter with the long range combat in the sandbox.

Exile and Ragnarok have Neutral flag in the CTF playlist, Exile had it in the center room and Ragnarok had it next to the laser, more or less. Presumably it would have been the same.

Ragnarok was a little annoying to play when we were fighting an okay (not uber) team. They basically held the flag in their base for most of the game hoping to turn the then- tie into a win at the last moment, since they knew they weren't getting another score. Turned into grind moving the flag out of their base while they constantly spawned around it. Of course, once we got it it was smooth sailing but it made it apparent that it was not a gametype for the ages. I think we played it again another time against derps and it was a super slaughter since all you have to do is hold the middle, which gives you the laser and the best sightlines and the flag...

willow ve

FML. The one chance this week I get a few free hours to game I need to download an Xbox 360 Dashboard update... and it errors every fucking time it tries to download. I just want to blain. Is that too much to ask for.

And yes, if you just want to blain then Richochet is the best playlist available. It's better than old school CTF Slayer.

Anyone know the best chance to get The Pit or Vertigo in Halo 4? (Why aren't both of these in the Richochet playlist?)

Honestly with such asymmetrical maps you're better off trying some sort of 1 flag rather than neutral flag.

daedalius

Posts like yours will get this thread closed as well.

Computer

I always wondered was halo 4s asymmetrical map focus a conscious decision or just the way it went

Just another step away from what makes Halo Halo and a step towards Call of Duty. I didnt even think Heaven was good. Everyone just ran to the middle of the map into a big cluster fuck of grenades and power weapons. Spawn repeat. It was one of the defining moments for me that made me realize that Halo 4 is not Halo. Maybe they went asymmetrical because it worked better with all the crap they added to the game. AA sprint ect..

Some the best Halo map are asymmetrical Lockout, Ascension, Ivory Towers to name a few. Asymmetrical maps are great if they are good maps. I cant think of on Halo 4 map I could care to see remade.

FYC

Banned
FML. The one chance this week I get a few free hours to game I need to download an Xbox 360 Dashboard update... and it errors every fucking time it tries to download. I just want to blain. Is that too much to ask for.

I had this problem earlier. I had to decline the initial download, then once I was on the dashboard I tried connecting to Live and downloading it again. Worked that time.

As for Pit/Vertigo, best bet would to be play in the Squad DLC playlist. Don't see them much in regular matchmaking.

Haven would be a better map if the bottom was all connected, similar to Desolation.

Top 3 Halo 4 maps:
IMO
(in no order)
  • Perdition
  • Harvest
  • Pitfall

Mabef

Banned
Just another step away from what makes Halo Halo and a step towards Call of Duty...
I really like Halo's asymmetrical maps, and asymmetrical gametypes for that matter. Nothing un-Halo about them, as you touched on at the end there. Blood Gulch, Hang Em High, Damnation, Chill Out. With Halo team sizes, I actually feel like 2-objective-gametypes get a little too spread out, except for the tiny maps like H3's MLG CTF maps. 1 flag, 1 bomb, neutral bomb are sexy.

I never liked Haven because I hate maps based on long curved surfaces. Same reason I didn't really like Narrows. Makes things a little too twitch based, not a lot to do besides shoot first.

Fuchsdh

Haven would be a better map if the bottom was all connected, similar to Desolation.

Top 3 Halo 4 maps:
IMO
(in no order)
  • Perdition
  • Harvest
  • Pitfall

But... the bottom *is* all connected, or are you saying remove the gaps by the man-cannons and have the bottom be a single uninterrupted flat surface?

Top 3 Halo 4 maps:
IMO
(in no order)
  • Perdition
  • Harvest
  • Pitfall

I think Haven is fine without having the bottom completely connected, but it would be kind of neat if there was a direct way to get from the bottom hall lift area to bottom mid. The bottom hallways, even with an added lift, always seemed sort of like dead space.

For the best maps, I would have to go with Haven, Monolith, Harvest, Skyline... Haven is pretty much the only decent 4v4 map they launched with, I think. Daybreak and Perdition are good but I haven't gotten to play them much. Maybe with the new Squad DLC playlist? Pitfall is definitely up there, too, I'm just trying to think of new maps.

Oops, I mean IGN has it covered. Almost reads like an Onion article:

Even though Valhalla returns virtually untouched from Halo 3 as Ragnarok, it actually plays better in the Halo 4 sandbox. The addition of a Mantis mech at each base is a big reason why. The walking tank has plenty of room to maneuver in Ragnarok’s open fields, and when wielded properly can absolutely pin the enemy team in their own base

But... the bottom *is* all connected, or are you saying remove the gaps by the man-cannons and have the bottom be a single uninterrupted flat surface?
Flat surface. As is, Haven sight lines are all practically down a straight path.

H4 Haven:
L4GFw-900x1024.jpg

My Haven:
This would give the map more space and allow for more interesting battles instead of just down hallways or straight lines. Also, I'd take away those walls and possibly place a few Hardlight Shields that can be destroyed (same concept as Jackal Shields on the map) since there wouldn't be a fallzone so that people can fight from the second level. Keep the man cannons there and the general layout/size, but I think Haven could play much better than Halo 4's version. Those grav lifts should have been there at launch too.

EDIT:
emoticon-0150-handshake.gif

Flat surface. As is, Haven sight lines are all practically down a straight path.

This would give the map more space and allow for more interesting battles instead of just down hallways or straight lines. Also, I'd take away those walls and possibly place a few Hardlight Shields that can be destroyed (same concept as Jackal Shields on the map) since there wouldn't be a fallzone so that people can fight from the second level. Keep the man cannons there and the general layout/size, but I think Haven could play much better than Halo 4's version. Those grav lifts should have been there at launch too.
I like this a lot, make the bottom open and the top floor worth fighting for. I like haven, but non stop BR battles in the corridors do get tiring. The only thing I would add to this concept is a central grav lift in the middle instead of those small monument things at the bottom floor (get rid of the two side grav lifts), thus creating another way to get atop the second level.
I can't remember the name but it was in the second map pack, the forerunner themed map. I actually prefered it to haven, it was probably one of the best looking maps and pretty well designed. Unfortunately due to the fact not many have the DLC it is rarely seen.

I need some more people who actually play this on my FL, if you want pm your gamertag.

fuck I give up, go into CTF I join a game that's 3-0, then 4-0 when I spawn.

I like this a lot, make the bottom open and the top floor worth fighting for. I like haven, but non stop BR battles in the corridors do get tiring. The only thing I would add to this concept is a central grav lift in the middle instead of those small monument things at the bottom floor (get rid of the two side grav lifts), thus creating another way to get atop the second level.
I can't remember the name but it was in the second map pack, the forerunner themed map. I actually prefered it to haven, it was probably one of the best looking maps and pretty well designed. Unfortunately due to the fact not many have the DLC it is rarely seen.
Monolith, and yeah that was a good map too. I actually like all the DLC maps more than the on-disc ones.
Is perdition the odst looking map? Because that one is shit, but would have been a cool odst firefight map
What didn't you like about it? Personally, I loved the aesthetic and enjoyed several gametypes on it.

Fuchsdh

The odd thing I find with Perdition is one side of the map feels much more open than the other (the side with the reactor). So battles over there in a game of say, King, you're fighting out in the open versus the other side of the map where there's a garage and the small overhang that are hills, and its very cloistered. I still enjoy it, though—it has some fun spaces, the rocket hog threads the fine line between annoyingly overpowered and a deathtrap, and it's a nice change of aesthetic from the usual UNSC look in Halo 4.

I'm pretty sure Perdition is what we were left with the leavings of the other H2 map that didn't make it to Anniversary (and so presumably was Terminal.)

I got an Xbox One finally with Titanfall. Didn't really like it so I sold it. I hope Halo 2 Anniversary is real even more now so I have something that makes me want to play Xbox online. I haven't had a consistent online shooter since Reach. :(

Nebula

So Zealot?

Devo was right. BTS is just idiots no scoping each other until someone from a distance takes one of them out. Also you get the idiots who just try and sprint double melee since you don't have anything to effectively slow them down. Do not like.

Tawpgun

Isnt that the wedding ring design where everyone is on the diamond?

And no one cares abot the lower section on the map because is a metaphore of getting married and fight in the top?

dude what.

Haven is the best map in Halo 4 right now, not counting the forge maps and remakes(pitfall)

Skyline is ok. Monolith is a cool arena but it is a bit big.

Monolith, and yeah that was a good map too. I actually like all the DLC maps more than the on-disc ones.

DLC maps are usually better than disc maps in general in my experience, which I think has to do with the fact that the game design itself is frozen by the time they really get going on the DLC. With disc maps, they're presumably refining the game design at the same time as they're trying to make the geometry, so they're less ideal for what the final game is actually like ( by the time the gameplay is set it they've put too much work into the map to scrap it regardless of how well it actually works).

You can kind of tell that something happened near the end of the design of Solace and Abandon that made them throw UNSC crates everywhere to try and save them, anyway.

DLC maps are usually better than disc maps in general in my experience, which I think has to do with the fact that the game design itself is frozen by the time they really get going on the DLC. With disc maps, they're presumably refining the game design at the same time as they're trying to make the geometry, so they're less ideal for what the final game is actually like ( by the time the gameplay is set it they've put too much work into the map to scrap it regardless of how well it actually works).

You can kind of tell that something happened near the end of the design of Solace and Abandon that made them throw UNSC crates everywhere to try and save them, anyway.

This is also why Haven was bigger / Spartans were smaller in the Conan gif. If the map itself was scaled down, it'd explain why it looks a bit sleeker by comparison.

Fuchsdh

The fact that the crates were actual geometry and not Forge objects to me makes me think that they weren't dramatically changed in a desperation move, to me. And besides, don't most people agree if you took half of those random obstructions out of the middle of the map it'd play better?

The fact that the crates were actual geometry and not Forge objects to me makes me think that they weren't dramatically changed in a desperation move, to me. And besides, don't most people agree if you took half of those random obstructions out of the middle of the map it'd play better?

Maybe if kill times are not like always "throw a grenade then kill the guy" most of the times, those crates would be useful

Booties

Banned
All Halo 4 maps are too big with bad sight lines. Haven was close to amazing, but has a few too many things in the way for my taste. Less is more. Solace is the best example of a shite map. Way too long, bi-level, no distinction between sides (left and right), and there are like 50 different shoulder-height barriers and hard light walls that obstruct views.

They're forged in Abandon I think? Not super sure. I think they still could have been baked-in fairly last minute on Solace (though non last-last minute), perhaps to avoid framerate issues with forged objects across the long sightlines. It still might have been easier to throw some existing crate designs in there rather than alter the base Forerunner geometry.

I don't know if it would actually play better (probably would for BR's, I'm guessing the DMR-dominated release game made the cover necessary). But I'm just speculating. It does really seem like they had a bad base design and tried to save it by adding more cover rather than going back to the base design for whatever reason.

Apart from maybe haven I don't see any halo 4 launch maps becoming a "classic" that fans demand remakes in future titles.
It could have been different if a couple of the DLC maps were at launch.

I like the odst themed map, I think it was CTF worked well on it.

Top Bottom