• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Add equipment to be visible on left hip/thigh, problem solved. That is highly visible position, and if it isn't from some direction (namely from right)... well, your weapon-in-use isn't visible from back either, so it ain't a big deal. EDIT equipment not being visible was my other major issue with them, next to the effect balancing.

Also power-ups... They look way too silly, floating balls of light that do something... I'm not opposed to the effects themselves really, i don't like how the pick-ups look.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 2 didn't even show you some one's secondary. Hey a guy with an SMG, time to chase, get boom slammed by rockets.

Or Halo CE for that matter. (Or older arena shooters...)
Ultimately it isn't really a big deal but it is a tad annoying, in retrospect, after getting used to seeing weapons. Always like Halo 3 showing people's secondary weapon.
Now fit grenades somewhere...

Halo 2 didn't even show you some one's secondary. Hey a guy with an SMG, time to chase, get boom slammed by rockets.
Not true. Due to the simplified sandbox you could infer these things rather easily as long as you were aware enough and communicating with your team. I mean, CE didn't even have Red X's or an in-game clock, amongst many other things.

Add equipment to be visible on left hip/thigh, problem solved. That is highly visible position, and if it isn't from some direction (namely from right)... well, your weapon-in-use isn't visible from back either, so it ain't a big deal. EDIT equipment not being visible was my other major issue with them, next to the effect balancing.

Also power-ups... They look way too silly, floating balls of light that do something... I'm not opposed to the effects themselves really, i don't like how the pick-ups look.

That wont make out spartans like a christmas three wearing so much stuff around their armor?

It would be too much information to handle visually I still having troube guessing what armor ability are using, what about showing his loadout on the killcam or post death cam (I fotn remember if Halo 4 have that)

All I know is OS needs to taken off POs. Invis needs to be taken off loadouts. CTF on lopsided maps never works unless it's one flag, so CTF Complex blows, especially if you're blue team. The sandbox could use less one shot weapons. I should just make a list.

Woorloog

Banned
Not true. Due to the simplified sandbox you could infer these things rather easily as long as you were aware enough and communicating with your team. I mean, CE didn't even have Red X's or an in-game clock, amongst many other things.

Well, this same applies to equipment really, ignoring their ridiculously fast respawn times (they were usually capped to one at a time though).

Can't really remember really noticing enemy weapons on their backs in Halo 3 and later, in a firefight, only during chasing enemy, and even that wasn't reliable. Map knowledge, communication and general awareness were usually better.

Large sandbox is meaningless here though, since each map has only partial sandbox. If a map has too many different weapons, it is shit use of the game's sandbox.
If we take Halo 4 sandbox in a "classic Halo", ideally no map would have more than 3 or so (not sure what is actually a good number) power weapons (or mix of power weapons and equipment), and assuming you know the maps, the game's sandbox size is ultimately utterly irrelevant.

Woorloog

Banned
That wont make out spartans like a christmas three wearing so much stuff around their armor?
Not IMO. There is a point when there is too much stuff but equipment is not one of those. Squeezing in grenades, as i suggested earlier, might be a tad over the top though, especially if the game has more than 2 'nade types.
EDIT especially if map visual design is clean, no extra distractions (i do like the godrays on Haven but they are a tad distracting. In Halo that is. In Battlefield or some such, i'm fine with all the extra stuff).
It would be too much information to handle visually I still having troube guessing what armor ability are using, what about showing his loadout on the killcam or post death cam (I fotn remember if Halo 4 have that)

Too much info? Don't see how it could be. I can notice multiple things during a firefight, from my enemy, to where i aim, to my radar, to my shield status, to background (not to mention having to keep the big picture in my mind, where people are, communication, strategy...). One more thing is nothing. IMO. Some might find it too much but if so, i figure fast-paced shooter isn't their thing in the first place.

A major issue with armor abilities is that they're essentially invisible... you will know what they have when they use it, but until then, you're flying blind. Equipment do not have this issue, for you know what a map has and you can know or make educated guesses if your enemy has it.

Well, this same applies to equipment really,
Not as easily though. Your next statement is why:
ignoring their ridiculously fast respawn times (they were usually capped to one at a time though).
They respawn so fast and are littered everywhere around the map that it's impossible to predict who has Equipment.

Also, you agree they spawned fast and I'm sure you remember multiple of the same Equipment in different areas of a map, but Booties doesn't. Someone has to be mistaken, no?

Can't really remember really noticing enemy weapons on their backs in Halo 3 and later, in a firefight, only during chasing enemy, and even that wasn't reliable.
Yeah so placing them on a player's Spartan wouldn't really help considering this good point that Orochinagis brought up:

Also, don't forget that Equipment would need an overhaul in artistic design if they are to appear on a player's model because some of them would very doofy on a leg (ie: Power Drain).

EDIT: Even entertaining the idea of a Power Drain in Halo 5 makes me cringe.. Just give us the Plasma Pistol and Grenade Launcher ;'[ -- Equipment in Halo is superfluous when we have alien/creative weapons and Power-ups to work with.

Woorloog

Banned

They respawn so fast and are littered everywhere around the map that it's impossible to predict who has Equipment.

Also, you agree they spawned fast and I'm sure you remember multiple of the same Equipment in different areas of a map, but Booties doesn't. Someone has to be mistaken, no?
I've noted before the concept is great, actual execution was a bit questionable at times (still the best Halo i've played). I was assuming a situation where this is fixed, unlike how they worked in reality. I concede that in reality it was a bit difficult to guess what your enemy had.

Some maps had two instances of an equipment. Like The Pit having two regens. Goddamn that was BS, one reason i hated The Pit so much. But at least they were, usually, i think, limited to one equipment per spawn point, so no 4 Regens in use at once... Again, this is something that should be fixed, if the equipment were brought back.
Yeah so placing them on a player's Spartan wouldn't really help considering this good point that Orochinagis brought up:
Perhaps, but i specified the weapons on people's backs. Side-carried weapons are much easier to notice... but they're also the sort people either use first (Needler, Plasma Pistol), or not at all (Magnum, SMG, unless they're using them as primaries of course...).
EDIT oh, wait, i also noted while chasing. Of course usually if your enemy is running away from you, you're winning anyway. If you don't notice something, nothing has changed from earlier Halos then, i guess. Understand the point about equipment though. Perhaps there could be some additional, reliable indicator, like the reticle having a small symbol when aiming at an enemy at red-reticle range.

(I will note that it is sometimes difficult to see the weapon people are using too, in Reach i often mixed shotty, AR and DMR, especially if lighting was a tad dark, or the enemy had dark coloring (brown, steel were the worst). Sometimes. Of course this is another situation that should no arise in the first place)

You've utterly and completely missed the point of my post, and I'm done trying to explain it.
The point of your post is obviously to avoid saying how much you have actually played Halo 4, pretty straightforward. And my point went about seventeen miles over your head apparently: You insulted people (including me) who play the game that this thread is about. Even within context, you said pretty simply that people who continue to play Halo 4 have "bad taste."

There was nothing to misunderstand, unless you thought your response to Stormtrooper was a personal message not on a public forum. It's is an even more extraordinary thing to say since you admitted that you have no real idea what the game was like more than a month ago, max, and therefore have no basis for comparing the current population to any past population. In my experience, Halo 4 has actually improved over time with matchmaking updates, but again I only feel qualified to express that opinion because I've actually played it from Launch.

You have less than artfully have avoided revealing the depth of you ignorance regarding what the game is actually like while continuing to express opinions like you have experience you probably don't: "...to pick it's bad maps (which is most of them imo). I say half serious because yeah, you can play on some decent maps if you get a party "

Have you even gone into matchmaking? If so, did you have a party? What playlists did you play? What maps? Which ones are "bad"?

Halo 4 is really bad if you're not in a party. Big team maps are terrible full stop though. Can't think of a good one. Rag doesn't count because it's not original.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 is really bad if you're not in a party. Big team maps are terrible full stop though. Can't think of a good one. Rag doesn't count because it's not original.

Closest one to good original BTB map is Longbow, but it has some pretty horrible flaws, horrible enough to prevent it from being a good map. Bases are not equal (the coast-side base is easier to attack in my experience), Banshees and Scorpions are horrible on that map, the "middle bases" are asymmetrical, and the coast/tunnel-side is underused.
Even if these were fixed, it still wouldn't be a great map though. I think.

IHaveIce

Banned
I mean, I may get why some of you are playing Halo 4( Halo fix etc, I also do it from time to time) but why the hell are you playing BTB then?

Mistel

Banned
Longbow is the closest to being good but still flawed in many different ways like Woorloog said. But it's far better than the likes of Meltdown and Vortex are so that's a plus. Shatter is the only decent big team dlc map I think but I've only played that and wreckage. So I can't comment on what I've not actually played matches on.

Woorloog

Banned
Longbow is the closest to being good but still flawed in many different ways like Woorloog said. But it's far better than the likes of Meltdown and Vortex are so that's a plus. Shatter is the only decent big team dlc map I think but I've only played that and wreckage. So I can't comment on what I've not actually played matches on.

Shatter is the one that is utterly unplayable in splitscreen :/

I mean, I may get why some of you are playing Halo 4( Halo fix etc, I also do it from time to time) but why the hell are you playing BTB then?

My reason: No vehicles elsewhere. Halo 3 social slayer was nice because it did have vehicles at times. Reach and Halo 4 only have vehicles in BTB :(

Why don't people like Harvest?!?!? ;'''''[

It has colors.
Easily distinguishable bases and landmarks.
Vehicle gameplay is fun on it.
Good sight lines leading to fun battles.
Warthog jumps!
etc.

I love it!

EDIT:
My reason: No vehicles elsewhere. Halo 3 social slayer was nice because it did have vehicles at times. Reach and Halo 4 only have vehicles in BTB :(
-fist bump-

Woorloog

Banned
Why don't people like Harvest?!?!? ;'''''[

It has colors.
Easily distinguishable bases and landmarks.
Vehicle gameplay is fun on it.
Good sight lines leading to fun battles.
Warthog jumps!
etc.

I love it!

Too big for 4v4 modes, and not in BTB. Or wasn't when i played, has this changed?
Also, it is one of those mythical DLC maps people never get to play. How can you like it if you can't play it?

Chettlar

Banned
The point of your post is obviously to avoid saying how much you have actually played Halo 4, pretty straightforward. And my point went about seventeen miles over your head apparently: You insulted people (including me) who play the game that this thread is about. Even within context, you said pretty simply that people who continue to play Halo 4 have "bad taste."

There was nothing to misunderstand, unless you thought your response to Stormtrooper was a personal message not on a public forum. It's is an even more extraordinary thing to say since you admitted that you have no real idea what the game was like more than a month ago, max, and therefore have no basis for comparing the current population to any past population. In my experience, Halo 4 has actually improved over time with matchmaking updates, but again I only feel qualified to express that opinion because I've actually played it from Launch.

You have less than artfully have avoided revealing the depth of you ignorance regarding what the game is actually like while continuing to express opinions like you have experience you probably don't: "...to pick it's bad maps (which is most of them imo). I say half serious because yeah, you can play on some decent maps if you get a party "

Have you even gone into matchmaking? If so, did you have a party? What playlists did you play? What maps? Which ones are "bad"?

I said "half-serious" for a reason.

Think about it. If I'm insulting you by that statement, I am also insulting myself, since I have also played some Halo 4 recently. That's absolutely ridiculous.

You took my post way out of whack. Perhaps Halo 4 has improved. That's not really relevant to what I'm saying.

Maybe this makes more sense:

Settler, for example, was made by people who also made the gameplay the way it is (343 in particular). If you like the gameplay, it makes sense that you would like the maps since they were designed with the gameplay in mind. Way, way simplified and generalized, but it wasn't an entirely serious post anyway.

Halo 4 is the least fun I have had with a Halo. Most of the people here have explained why it just isn't as good a Halo as the other ones. I'm talking about the 10 year olds who play Halo 4 (or really the "COD crowd" that allegedly Halo 4 tried to court) and haven't experienced the great Halo's like CE, 2, and 3. Thus, they really haven't developed taste as to what makes a good Halo gameplay or a good Halo map, because they were never there when Halo had good gameplay or maps. Thus apparently liking the gameplay, they also like the maps designed around it. So in response to the post that said "why does everybody vote for bad maps?" That was my somewhat light-hearted/yet snarky response.

I have, unfortunately, not had the privilege of playing in a party (unless one other friend half the time counts), so randoms is all I get pretty much. After playing a bunch of games I have very little desire to continue (maybe if I get another gold trial I'll see if I can play with you guys and hopefully that will be better, as you say, whatever). Halo CE, 2, and 3 have all been brilliant fun even without parties. Halo 4 just isn't fun like those at all.

Stop taking this so personally. It wasn't directed at you, because again, if it was, then it would also have to be directed at me, which is ridiculous.

Too big for 4v4 modes, and not in BTB. Or wasn't when i played, has this changed?
Also, it is one of those mythical DLC maps people never get to play. How can you like it if you can't play it?
Got to be able to get a game on Harvest to enjoy it.
It came up a lot in the Heavies playlist. Such a fun map which housed some of the best BTB moments I've had since Halo 2.

EDIT:
Heavies... ugh. Now i've heard good things about the Halo 4 version but that name is tarnished in my eyes.
Halo 4 Heavies is the true BTB, unlike Heavies in Halo 3/Reach.

TheOddOne

Harvest in a nutshell:

jlOby4IcievCs.png

Mistel

Banned
Heavies... ugh. Now i've heard good things about the Halo 4 version but that name is tarnished in my eyes.
How about "it's actually pretty much closer to big team than any of the other modes offer" battle? Now that's a mouthful but it's genuinely better than big team in four ever will be. Shame about splitscreen for shatter though you missed all the fun.
It came up a lot in the Heavies playlist. Such a fun map which housed some of the best BTB moments I've had since Halo 2.
I never saw harvest come up for me. I've played it in the medal gametype thingy though it was alright but the gametype didn't showcase much.

Booties

Banned

Halo 3 didn't have that much different stuff on any one map, and they were spread out well enough. If you can't infer that someone may have a regen when they are on S3 on the pit, or bubble shield when they are top mid on guardian, then you have a problem. Seriously, the more you post, the more you contradict yourself.

Also, don't forget that Equipment would need an overhaul in artistic design if they are to appear on a player's model because some of them would very doofy on a leg (ie: Power Drain).

EDIT: Even entertaining the idea of a Power Drain in Halo 5 makes me cringe.. Just give us the Plasma Pistol and Grenade Launcher ;'[ -- Equipment in Halo is superfluous when we have alien/creative weapons and Power-ups to work with.

You keep exaggerating things to prove your point. They aren't all over the map and they don't respawn as quickly as you say. You're just bitching way too much about a small aspect of the game that is similar to any other power up/weapon. If you don't want the other team to have it, then get it and waste it or something. I think if it was as bad as you say then people wouldn't have kept playing.

I said "half-serious" for a reason.

Think about it. If I'm insulting you by that statement, I am also insulting myself, since I have also played some Halo 4 recently. That's absolutely ridiculous.

You took my post way out of whack. Perhaps Halo 4 has improved. That's not really relevant to what I'm saying.

Maybe this makes more sense:

Settler, for example, was made by people who also made the gameplay the way it is (343 in particular). If you like the gameplay, it makes sense that you would like the maps since they were designed with the gameplay in mind. Way, way simplified and generalized, but it wasn't an entirely serious post anyway.

Halo 4 is the least fun I have had with a Halo. Most of the people here have explained why it just isn't as good a Halo as the other ones. I'm talking about the 10 year olds who play Halo 4 (or really the "COD crowd" that allegedly Halo 4 tried to court) and haven't experienced the great Halo's like CE, 2, and 3. Thus, they really haven't developed taste as to what makes a good Halo gameplay or a good Halo map, because they were never there when Halo had good gameplay or maps. Thus apparently liking the gameplay, they also like the maps designed around it. So in response to the post that said "why does everybody vote for bad maps?" That was my somewhat light-hearted/yet snarky response.

I have, unfortunately, not had the privilege of playing in a party (unless one other friend half the time counts), so randoms is all I get pretty much. After playing a bunch of games I have very little desire to continue (maybe if I get another gold trial I'll see if I can play with you guys and hopefully that will be better, as you say, whatever). Halo CE, 2, and 3 have all been brilliant fun even without parties. Halo 4 just isn't fun like those at all.

Stop taking this so personally. It wasn't directed at you, because again, if it was, then it would also have to be directed at me, which is ridiculous.
So how many games? Which playlists? Which maps? Which ones are bad?

10 year olds? I almost never hear people who sound like they are younger than solid post-puberty teen-level, but oops, I only have played the game for over the year and have had thousands of teammates. I mean, why bother when I can make up suppositions on a forum with no basis in reality?

Maybe you should stop trying to make generalizations at all given your extraordinarily limited experience with the actual topic of discussion.

Everything you say about Halo 4 is essentially meaningless since you fundamentally don't know what you are talking about. I can read the forum myself, I don't need your regurgitation or reinterpretation of what people who actually do know have already said.

Booties

Banned
I can spawn usually and get kills. The derps I get on my teams would ensure a really bad time with a smaller map.

I can't do BTB at all. I prefer to go into a 5v5 playlist like CTF because the maps are pretty big. If my team sucks I can still hit people from a distance and ignore the objective. I usually get more "points" than the flag runners so it's fun for me.

I can't do BTB at all. I prefer to go into a 5v5 playlist like CTF because the maps are pretty big. If my team sucks I can still hit people from a distance and ignore the objective. I usually get more "points" than the flag runners so it's fun for me.

This is a good idea too I guess. I forgot about 5v5 CTF. I might have to migrate there if I play BTB Snipers one more time.

Booties

Banned
This is a good idea too I guess. I forgot about 5v5 CTF. I might have to migrate there if I play BTB Snipers one more time.

I highly recommend it. I play extraction too but the population sucks. A team of 5 would be fun for that playlist though. You can even get maps on Exile that are fun.

Chettlar

Banned
So how many games? Which playlists? Which maps? Which ones are bad?

10 year olds? I almost never hear people who sound like they are younger than solid post-puberty teen-level, but oops, I only have played the game for over the year and have had thousands of teammates. I mean, why bother when I can make up suppositions on a forum with no basis in reality?

Maybe you should stop trying to make generalizations at all given your extraordinarily limited experience with the actual topic of discussion.

Everything you say about Halo 4 is essentially meaningless since you fundamentally don't know what you are talking about. I can read the forum myself, I don't need your regurgitation or reinterpretation of what people who actually do know have already said.

Like I said, you made way too much of a deal out of it. It's not as if I'm the only one who makes half-serious posts on GAF, or even in this subforum. It wasn't meant to be an entirely serious post.

I don't deny what you're saying. I'm really not in the best position to say that, but saying it has no basis in reality and going on a rant about it just makes no sense. Like, pipe down. You and stormtrooper are the only ones who took it that seriously.

Halo 3 didn't have that much different stuff on any one map, and they were spread out well enough. If you can't infer that someone may have a regen when they are on S3 on the pit, or bubble shield when they are top mid on guardian, then you have a problem. Seriously, the more you post, the more you contradict yourself.

You keep exaggerating things to prove your point. They aren't all over the map and they don't respawn as quickly as you say. You're just bitching way too much about a small aspect of the game that is similar to any other power up/weapon. If you don't want the other team to have it, then get it and waste it or something. I think if it was as bad as you say then people wouldn't have kept playing.
lol This post is ridiculous Booties. How many times am I going to have a discussion with you only for you to insult me or say I'm "bitching way too much?" Do you have a problem with people disagreeing with you and trying to prove why you might be "wrong?"

Jesus.. That aside, it's shocking to see someone defend Equipment when I thought it was universally disliked by Halo fans ;b -- Maybe I'll get a map layout and describe the common situations that would take place surrounding Equipment, but that'll have to wait until later tonight.

lol This post is ridiculous Booties. How many times am I going to have a discussion with you only for you to insult me or say I'm "bitching way too much?" Do you have a problem with people disagreeing with you and trying to prove why you might be "wrong?"

Jesus.. That aside, it's shocking to see someone defend Equipment when I thought it was universally disliked by Halo fans ;b -- Maybe I'll get a map layout and describe the common situations that would take place surrounding Equipment, but that'll have to wait until later tonight.
Whats wrong with equipment? It didn't get in the way or anything.

Woorloog

Banned
Jesus.. That aside, it's shocking to see someone defend Equipment when I thought it was universally disliked by Halo fans ;b --

No offense but at times you seem to be assuming that everyone dislikes everything added/changed after Halo CE. Or something like that.
I like dual wielding. And i really miss it. Even though it was a clusterfuck balancing-wise.

I don't recall people disliking equipment as a concept, at least not nearly as much as armor abilities are disliked.

(Oddly, AAs work much better in campaign though, equipment were really meh in campaign.)

EDIT the thing with armor abilities and equipment is that they can be removed for more specialized or stripped down playlists. Not having them doesn't allow making playlists with them. More is better because it allows greater customization. At least, if we get some tools for making balancing adjustments ourselves...

No offense but at times you seem to be assuming that everyone dislikes everything added/changed after Halo CE. Or something like that.
Come on man, I'm not shallow like that. Don't disregard my post history because you think I have an agenda or I'm being overly biased. Not saying that's what you're doing, but that's what it feels like.

You might have missed my posts on this in the past, but I think don't consider CE a perfect game. The controls alone are why I wouldn't ever want a direct remake; they weren't as responsive/tight as I would've liked. And that's not to mention the myriad of improvements made after CE.
I like dual wielding. And i really miss it. Even though it was a clusterfuck balancing-wise.
I liked dual wielding too and would like for it to return, but only if weapons are already bundled together (ie: you can only pick up 2 Spikers, not one). Bungie's implementation of dual wielding was not to my liking either; they made each individual weapon weaker when dual wielded instead of adjusting other traits like recoil, etc. -- made no sense.
I don't recall people disliking equipment as a concept, at least not nearly as much as armor abilities are disliked.
I know only 3 of us are having this convo, but I can't be the only person who remembers how many people hated Equipment. Even in HaloGAF threads people hated them, albeit not as much as AA's.

EDIT the thing with armor abilities and equipment is that they can be removed for more specialized or stripped down playlists. Not having them doesn't allow making playlists with them. More is better because it allows greater customization. At least, if we get some tools for making balancing adjustments ourselves...
I'm actually all for keeping some AA's for Custom Games (Jet Pack), but I don't know if I believe they'll stay out of Matchmaking.

Striker

The proper thing to do at that point is to create more, balanced powerups so you don't have people crapping out bubble shields on demand and getting an instant defense mechanism. Most of the pieces of equipment stalled gameplay rather than keep it neutral. The traditional powerups worked a million times better. And once you picked one up, it lasts 30 seconds until the next one spawns. These are better for all variants and playlists, not something stripped down. .

They only started doing that in Halo 3.

Halo 1 and Halo 2's style:

Like I said, you made way too much of a deal out of it. It's not as if I'm the only one who makes half-serious posts on GAF, or even in this subforum. It wasn't meant to be an entirely serious post.

I don't deny what you're saying. I'm really not in the best position to say that, but saying it has no basis in reality and going on a rant about it just makes no sense. Like, pipe down. You and stormtrooper are the only ones who took it that seriously.

How many games, which playlists and maps, and which maps do you think are bad? You said you thought most Halo 4 maps are bad, so where's that coming from?

Hey, pro tip, don't try to make jokes about things you actually know very little about to people who actually know quite a bit.

Start thinking more about what you post (this has been a perennial issue with your posting), especially when you are in a solid position of ignorance regarding the subject.

Here's an example of an informed opinion. I think Abandon is bad because it seems like the beach side of the map are at the mercy of people on the high ground, but the high ground isn't particularly well designed since there is so much room around the periphery for enemies to spawn and flank. It's essentially spawn roulette; you might spawn in a flanking position... or you might spawn in a firing line. There are just too many paths and too much cover in the center structure, which ends up turning into a zone of infinite boltshot and simply provides too many opportunities to bail out of encounters. Infinity exacerbates every problem, but Legendary BR's can't seem to save it either. In the 94 games I've apparently played on it, it's very frequently been a random, frustrating experience. On SWAT or Snipes I find it tolerable since the escaping-into-cover issue isn't as bad, but those gametypes make spawning issues become even more apparent.

Top Bottom