• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Not to mention the ground breaking new spartan ops thats totally like a TV show!
The mistakes they made in marketing Halo 4 hurt them far more than if they would have been silent about the game until it released.. Such a shame how much they hyped Halo 4 when they knew all the problems it would launch with, and they must've known how people would react to the lackluster Spartan Ops and disappointments like no Campaign Theater.

The marketing really crushed them. Remember the first couple ViDocs detailing MC's triumphant return, how they're going to be diving into his character more, the epic journey and troubles he will face, etc. etc.; they shot themselves in the foot before the game even released.
Assuming 2A is good, I'll be forced to buy an Xbox One.

I still hop on Halo 3 from time to time so I can add you ;]
Just sent you one because I didn't know if you would get that "player's friends list is full" message. I won't be playing my 360 much anymore though, but you never know when that Halo itch needs scratching!

The mistakes they made in marketing Halo 4 hurt them far more than if they would have been silent about the game until it released.. Such a shame how much they hyped Halo 4 when they knew all the problems it would launch with, and they must've known how people would react to the lackluster Spartan Ops and disappointments like no Campaign Theater.

The marketing really crushed them. Remember the first couple ViDocs detailing MC's triumphant return, how they're going to be diving into his character more, the epic journey and troubles he will face, etc. etc.; they shot themselves in the foot before the game even released.

Just sent you one because I didn't know if you would get that "player's friends list is full" message. I won't be playing my 360 much anymore though, but you never know when that Halo itch needs scratching!

Even though they knew it was rushed i am sure it still would turn out a bad Halo game if more time was given since the same things like perks will be in.

Tawpgun

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.. Back out while you still can!

Add me if you get an Xbox One ;] - FUNKNOWN iXi

EDIT: TOTP 50PPP - Halo 2 FMV Hell (Throwback)

Classic.

RIP the Halo machinima golden age. The machinima community is what got me into the general Halo community.

Anyway, people more knowledgable than I, ie Fyrewulff, So we know Halo PC servers are shutting down. What does this mean for people with a cracked version of the game?

Me and my friends found a way to get Custom Edition for free using some crack thing I don't understand. That's the CE we played. We could only play with other people with the cracked version (which happened to be a substantial amount)

These servers would be shut down too right?

Caladrius

May as well drop in too.

I'm currently replaying the series up through Reach. halfway through 2 at the moment.

Once I'm done with the others I''m thinking of finally clearing 2 on Legendary.

What do I need to know?

Dub117

Watch for Jackal Snipers.
+1
They are a bitch, I remember being stuck in this tight corridor/hallway, tanish buildings, can't remember the level. But I was scoped in and couldn't hardly even pop out and snipe one before I had a beam through my face. Took forever to pass that.

+1
They are a bitch, I remember being stuck in this tight corridor/hallway, tanish buildings, can't remember the level. But I was scoped in and couldn't hardly even pop out and snipe one before I had a beam through my face. Took forever to pass that.

Outskirts. Was a total bitch.

I was indeed.

Thank ye.

I tried it once, but I rage quit at the first hangar in Cairo station once I realized how fast Elite shield regeneration was. Even compared to the other games' legendary modes it's insane.

Cairo Station is one of the hardest levels.

Ah yes, that's the one…I rage quit that level a few times!

I recall Outskirts being pretty hard, but most of the campaign was. It requires a lot of patience and cover (unless you decide to glitch-bypass areas).

Chettlar

Banned
I was indeed.

Thank ye.

I tried it once, but I rage quit at the first hangar in Cairo station once I realized how fast Elite shield regeneration was. Even compared to the other games' legendary modes it's insane.

Cairo station on legendary has one of the hardest battles of all the Halo games. Once you beat that, you'll feel so good, you'll be all like "I CAN TAKE ON ALL THE LEVELS!!!"

And you will take on all the levels, like a boss. Seriously, the exhilaration from having completed that game on legendary is amazing.

Does Halo 2 not have a Legendary ending? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall it being any different, and on the PC version, it forces you to watch the credits to the end so I don't see how I would have missed it both times. I watched it on youtube as well just to make sure I hadn't missed anything anyway, and it didn't look different at all.

Cairo station on legendary has one of the hardest battles of all the Halo games. Once you beat that, you'll feel so good, you'll be all like "I CAN TAKE ON ALL THE LEVELS!!!"

And you will take on all the levels, like a boss. Seriously, the exhilaration from having completed that game on legendary is amazing.

Does Halo 2 not have a Legendary ending? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall it being any different, and on the PC version, it forces you to watch the credits to the end so I don't see how I would have missed it both times. I watched it on youtube as well just to make sure I hadn't missed anything anyway, and it didn't look different at all.

Yeah, there's no secret Legendary ending in Halo 2 or Reach.

Caladrius

Cairo Station is one of the hardest levels..

Hangar bays in Cairo Station on Legendary is pure hell.

Oh thank god it isn't just me.

I'm going to do my Reach replay on Legendary to polish up a bit for it.
Though this is partially because Reach is my favorite Halo game so the difficulty doesn't set me off as much. > __ > *ducks*

Yeah, there's no secret Legendary ending in Halo 2 or Reach.

B-but THE EAGLLLLE!

Karl2177

May as well drop in too.

I'm currently replaying the series up through Reach. halfway through 2 at the moment.

Once I'm done with the others I''m thinking of finally clearing 2 on Legendary.

What do I need to know?

I made a couple of posts when I did my Halo 2 Legendary run through a while ago. They probably aren't as good as the ones posted earlier, but I obviously want to pimp my own stuff.
Post #1: covers basic a walkthrough of each mission
Post #2: talks about what Halo 2 did wrong and what it did right

Omni

Storm, cut the shizz. We're on a tight leash here buddio..
Surely if this thread was gonna get locked again it would be due to the barrage of off topic posts - which we were specifically told not to do. Not because of the one on-topic* post on this entire page.

*relating to Halo 4

Though this is partially because Reach is my favorite Halo game so the difficulty doesn't set me off as much. > __ > *ducks*

B-but THE EAGLLLLE!

Eh, Reach campaign is understandably fun. I felt like the AI (Hunters especially) felt like the most human - they had a variety of responses for a given situation with pretty fluid, according actions. If anything it felt like I was dying because players were better than me (and had 2000% shielding) rather than them one-shotting you with Beam Rifles like in Halo 2's case.

Fuchsdh

Surely if this thread was gonna get locked again, it would be due to the barrage of off topic posts - which we were specifically told not to do. Not because of the one on-topic post on this entire page.

Ghal specifically called out those kinds of posts as well.

Not going to be around to host full-blown customs any time probably in the next two weeks, but we should get a group going for the Squad DLC list while it's going. Everyone wants to get their money's worth out of it anyhow.

Chettlar

Banned

B-but THE EAGLLLLE!

Nah, man I love Reach's campaign. It's great.

Just a little cheap with the difficulty. I don't know that I'm all too eager to finish it on Legendary because of the cheap spike in difficulty it has.

Eh, Reach campaign is understandably fun. I felt like the AI (Hunters especially) felt like the most human - they had a variety of responses for a given situation with pretty fluid, according actions. If anything it felt like I was dying because players were better than me (and had 2000% shielding) rather than them one-shotting you with Beam Rifles like in Halo 2's case.

Reach's Hunters were probably my favorite.

The Flash

Banned

I remember this. Classic.

Nah, man I love Reach's campaign. It's great.

Reach's Hunters were probably my favorite.

094f900f061edae26596463a99748b61.jpg

I've watched this damn video so many times over the years lmfao

Same. Let it always been known that it was because of Halo that machinima became what it is today.

^
The random/out of no where Halo 4 bashing is unnecessary at this point. Everyone gets it, Halo 4 was not the game we all wanted. That being said, the moment 343 reveals an Active Camo AA is the moment we should
rightfully
throw shit all over the walls ;]
I remember this. Classic.
I've watched this damn video so many times over the years lmfao

Not going to be around to host full-blown customs any time probably in the next two weeks, but we should get a group going for the Squad DLC list while it's going. Everyone wants to get their money's worth out of it anyhow.

Sounds gude, I'll try to be on nights this weekend, just post, tweet, live msg, etc if you're going to play and I will finish my Titanfall match and get on for a bit. I really want to play some of the larger DLC maps (that aren't Wreckage).

Fuchsdh

Sounds gude, I'll try to be on nights this weekend, just post, tweet, live msg, etc if you're going to play and I will finish my Titanfall match and get on for a bit. I really want to play some of the larger DLC maps (that aren't Wreckage).

Wont be until the end of next week I think, as I'm off to Vegas for NAB.

Ghazi

A) There's a new Squad DLC playlist? Link to bulletin, please?

B) Let's play it this weekend everyone, if there is?

Omni

I'm playing some of the new DLC playlist. It's actually riddled with parties. Can't handle it

I never noticed this before but... Why did they make it so it's hard to see out of the hill in KotH? I mean the barriers are essentially solid. *shrugs*

Mistel

Banned
I never noticed this before but... Why did they make it so it's hard to see out of the hill in KotH? I mean the barriers are essentially solid. *shrugs*
Maybe it's to distinguish them easily from the map which might be harder for some to do if they were more transparent.

I've only held the hill in vehicles so it's not hard to see really. On foot is probably a different story.

Whilst on the subject do the hills have trait zones that disable armor abilities within them?

Omni

Maybe it's to distinguish them easily from the map which might be harder for some to do if they were more transparent.

I've only held the hill in vehicles so it's not hard to see really. On foot is probably a different story.

Whilst on the subject do the hills have trait zones that disable armor abilities within them?
Maybe. They were alright in Reach though... So I dunno. Maybe it just seemed worse because of the map I was playing on (the rocky one with the wraith that came in the third map pack)

And yess. I noticed that I had no AA while in the hill

If H2A had it's own multiplayer I doubt it would splinter the population. Long time fans are hanging out for a halo title on the X1 (pretty much all of the older fans hoping it's H2A and not halo 5), it's the only reason most haven't got a X1 yet. I would nearly frisbee titanfall if H2 classic multiplayer was confirmed at E3.

Back on topic, sorta.

I was watching a video on Easter Eggs in SOps and watching the Elites reminded me of one of the reasons I had to put down Traviss' books. The way they are presented lately is a joke, in 4 they are just cannon fodder/filler. I understand they kinda get the back seat due to the prometheans but even in Traviss' trilogy they are portrayed as a bunch of idiots that can't hold their own (I got frowned upon on waypoint for ranting about this awhile ago). I understand 343 are making way for new enemies and stuff but I think the elites are due some respect. At the moment they seem like generic bad guys of some child's cartoon that get their plans foiled every episode.
"Infinity crew those darn elites are at it again, uh oh".

If H2A had it's own multiplayer I doubt it would splinter the population. Long time fans are hanging out for a halo title on the X1 (pretty much all of the older fans hoping it's H2A and not halo 5), it's the only reason most haven't got a X1 yet. I would nearly frisbee titanfall if H2 classic multiplayer was confirmed at E3.

Back on topic, sorta.

I was watching a video on Easter Eggs in SOps and watching the Elites reminded me of one of the reasons I had to put down Traviss' books. The way they are presented lately is a joke, in 4 they are just cannon fodder/filler. I understand they kinda get the back seat due to the prometheans but even in Traviss' trilogy they are portrayed as a bunch of idiots that can't hold their own (I got frowned upon on waypoint for ranting about this awhile ago). I understand 343 are making way for new enemies and stuff but I think the elites are due some respect. At the moment they seem like generic bad guys of some child's cartoon that get their plans foiled every episode.
"Infinity crew those darn elites are at it again, uh oh".

To be fair, the Elites without names in-game aren't much better even in past titles. The whole theme of allies in Halo is that they can't feel like bigger badasses than you at their peak - it's the reason Marines died by the thousands at your side in Combat Evolved and -Elites- would never follow you for more than a single encounter or two in 3, Arbiter notwithstanding. The only time Elites specifically were consistently badass fighters were when they were during Arbiter missions in Halo 2. The big difference as enemies is that they were either relatively smart, slightly-better than you combatants (Combat Evolved, 2 in small engagements, Reach's lower ranks) or they had unbelievably OP advantages (2 on Legendary or in fights with multiple Elites, Reach's ranks beyond the Ultra, 4's constant Fuel Rod spamming).

I think it's more an issue that Bungie had some clever bastards working the AI, and developed deliberate counters to holes in their tactics in the last title. The most popular example is the 180 swing the Hunters got in later installments, but I honestly think the change that most promimently affected gameplay were Reach's hammer chieftans compared to the 3 / ODST AI. ODST Firefight was largely a showcase of throwing Halo 3's delicately-sprinkled enemy distributions and engagements out the window in favor of pushing the envelope and seeing how many big bads you could handle at once. More specifically, I'm talking about 3 / ODST's Hammer Chieftans. Their invincibility and CE Zealot-esque leaps were constant "oh shit" moments in Halo 3's infancy, but players learned about holes in their offense after having to deal with them in bulk due to Chieftan waves. The easiest way to kill them is to bait them into a forward lunge, sidestep to the left and backsmack them, preventing the need for Invincibility completely. The first time you try the same tactic in Reach, the Chieftan will wind up for a leap - and then completely throw you a curveball by doing a 360 degree swing, which has a hitbox extremely oriented towards the right of its abdomen,, meaning trying to pull an ODST will just cause you to fling yourself into its hammer immediately.

343 didn't have the same team with the ins and outs of the past game's AI, meaning they had to go for something more evocative of CE's AI - smarter than the average Russian, war-on-terror participant or drug cartel, but not smart enough to warrant equal footing in terms of equipment. That being said, it does feel like they were trying to cover their tracks in advance - certain potholes in the AI design (sword elites straight-up stopping mid-charge, Hunters reverting to a dumber skill set) - in order to provide the illusion of intelligence once the enemies start being able to kill you in Halo 5.

Bungie's AI largely relied on establishing tactics, learning how to counter them, and then completely flipping those counters on their head in the sequels, culminating in Reach's mostly iron-clad AI defenses. It feels a little cheap making the jump straight from Reach to 4, so I honestly think we'll need to wait for a few more sequels to come out before we can really judge the AI. Note that if H2A is coming out this year, we may potentially be reverting back to Halo 2 AI levels, and 343 could be setting tactical benchmarks accordingly.

willow ve

They need to severely discount or give away the DLC in this game for free. You never see it in game. There's only 200 people in the DLC playlist (and you have to have ALL DLC, not just the small maps).

Ghazi

They need to severely discount or give away the DLC in this game for free. You never see it in game. There's only 200 people in the DLC playlist (and you have to have ALL DLC, not just the small maps).

I want to buy Bullseye, just in general and so I can play in this playlist, but I'm scared about it going on sale soon :(

willow ve

I want to buy Bullseye, just in general and so I can play in this playlist, but I'm scared about it going on sale soon :(

Don't buy it. I've had it for weeks and have literally only seen The Pit one time. Once. And it didn't get voted for. Tonight I backed out of lobbies (or played some) in 100+ games. Never once saw a single DLC map offered.

I've never even seen Vertigo.

Top Bottom