• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Ampoc

Neo Member
Let's just hope Halo 5 doesn't have invis fuel rod cannon whores.

oh god please, they just make me..

z6770ti.gif

And C-Rifle whores..

Does anyone know how they do QA/QC on achievements? Fyrewulf? Because as much as we like to complain about 4, these are legitimate "this software is actually broken" moments, not just questionable game design decisions.

I have no idea. I'd chalk it up to them controlling IP they don't fully understand. I'm sure the true root cause is less superficial than that though.

They are fully aware of the issues too: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst236154_Halo-4-Achievement-Issues.aspx

According to people at xboxachievements.com, this has been a problem for over 6 months since they released that patch for the Champions DLC and its achievements. Something like unlocking the champions cheevos before others can screw up Castle/Majestic/Crimson cheevos from unlocking. Which is basically what happened to me.

At this point, either it's such a fucked up issue that it would take tons of work to unentangle the code (which is highly likely based on other things I'm aware of) or they just straight up don't care to fix it at this point because they have better things to do.

The worst part is that they released a time-limited DLC playlist before fixing their fucking game. It's like a slap to the face.

Havoc2049

So my experience with Halo 4 has been almost entirely using copies borrowed from friends, and I'd really like to own it for myself. I want the entire game (all the map packs at least), so what is the cheapest way to do that?

• Physical: Amazon has the GOTY version for $33. If I get it from best buy, gamestop, it's $40. Online at Walmart, it's $35, but I don't know about in-store. If anybody knows of a cheaper way to get the GOTY version, let me know. Also, does this version have all 4 map packs including Champions bundle?
  • Digital: This is what I mainly had a question about. The game is by default $30, with each DLC being $10, making the entire game $70. However, I thought I heard of some sort of pack you could buy that came with all the DLC for like $20 or something. Can't remember. Is there nothing like that? Other than sales of course, is there no way to get all the map content and game for less than $70 digitally?
Thanks for your help. This is kinda sorta pressingish.

EDIT: wait, so I can get the maps in the champions bundle by getting the bullseye pack? I'm confused. So why does the champions bundle cost $4 more? Just skins? Do I HAVE to get the champions bundle to get the achievements (talking about the ones at the bottom under "Champions bundle")?

Is it like this for the other bundles, like the crimson and stuff? Like I can get the maps and thus have access to the achievements by buying a cheaper version?

Somebody help me with this.

Cheaper on ebay, w/free shipping.

I know Halo 4 multiplayer gets a lot of shyt, but after playing Titanfall...

Halo 4 > Titanfall, IMO.

As someone who thinks Halo 4 and Titanfall multi are both turrible, I think the only way you could realistically come to that conclusion is if you went into Titanfall expecting Halo.

Omni

Strangely enough I find that behaviour less annoying than people who use active camo to snipe and jetpack around my cover

Wish I could avoid those guys

As someone who thinks Halo 4 and Titanfall multi are both turrible, I think the only way you could realistically come to that conclusion is if you went into Titanfall expecting Halo.

Nah there's a lot more annoying bullshit in titanfall, like the burn cards that give you infinite grenades or let you START a match with a Titan. Camo on spawn is also still a bad idea, and the people who said otherwise are wrong. Pile issues like those on top of an atrocious matchmaking system with no private games and barebones cookie cutter gametypes and TitanFall ends up being an average FPS...with wall running and mechs.

Halo 4 has issues, but if I had to choose out of the two I would definitely pick H4.

Killer Instinct remains Xbox One's best title.

Strangely enough I find that behaviour less annoying than people who use active camo to snipe and jetpack around my cover

Wish I could avoid those guys

In an ideal situation 343 wouldn't have put invis in loadouts. Nor jetpack. Nor promothean vision.

What's the point of map control if you put in AAs that completely break the plane or give people invis and power weapons.

Nah there's a lot more annoying bullshit in titanfall, like the burn cards that give you infinite grenades or let you START a match with a Titan. Camo on spawn is also still a bad idea, and the people who said otherwise are wrong. Pile issues like those on top of an atrocious matchmaking system with no private games and barebones cookie cutter gametypes and TitanFall ends up being an average FPS...with wall running and mechs.

Halo 4 has issues, but if I had to choose out of the two I would definitely pick H4.

Killer Instinct remains Xbox One's best title.

Camo is fine in Titanfall. You can spot them so easliy.

TheOddOne

Michael Cera, Seth Green, Sarah Silverman Get Xbox Series
■ “Halo:” Microsoft has two series planned around the Xbox’s biggest game franchise. One is a big-budget “Game of Thrones”-like project that Steven Spielberg will executive produce, while the other is a more modestly budgeted series, to be produced by 343 Entertainment and Ridley Scott’s Scott Free TV in the vein of the “Halo: Forward Unto Dawn” episodes that were released around the fourth “Halo” game in 2012. Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (“Battlestar Galactica”) will direct.

TheOddOne

Did they pick the 3 characters I'd never expect in Halo, but to be fair Seth Green made Joker amazing in Mass Effect.
The title of that article is unrelated to the Halo info. They made a list of projects XB Studios is working on and the Halo projects are listed there.

Booties

Banned
They are fully aware of the issues too: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst236154_Halo-4-Achievement-Issues.aspx

According to people at xboxachievements.com, this has been a problem for over 6 months since they released that patch for the Champions DLC and its achievements. Something like unlocking the champions cheevos before others can screw up Castle/Majestic/Crimson cheevos from unlocking. Which is basically what happened to me.

At this point, either it's such a fucked up issue that it would take tons of work to unentangle the code (which is highly likely based on other things I'm aware of) or they just straight up don't care to fix it at this point because they have better things to do.

The worst part is that they released a time-limited DLC playlist before fixing their fucking game. It's like a slap to the face.

54HkenL.gif

-- Never change, HaloGAF :)

To clarify, wat I meant by IP was the code itself. It does sound like a mess to go and fix that. It's something they were given, not something they built, so it's tougher to work with and fix bugs. It's probably not even worth bothering for them at this point.

It sucks because I actually like the maps now that it's in a designated 6v6 playlist.

Chettlar

Banned
Wow, Spielberg project seems bigger than I expected.

I'm assuming it is planned to have multiple seasons and the other one will be a simple, 5 part series or something like that, since they said it'll be like FuD.

For some reason I get a really bad feeling about that, though. Like, that Spielberg's project will manage a season and then run into complications. Maybe it's just simple precedence that doesn't apply, but I still worry. "Too good to be true" etc. etc.

I can see it now.

Seth Green is Gaz, an elite (as in good, not sangheili) hacker commissioned by ONI. He wears all black and has nasty-ass dreads but he's one of the best they've got. He's trying to be a mole for Master Chief, and accepts pay in Xena tapes and Hot Pockets.

Michael Cera is Eli Del Rio, a reserved by-the-book Sergeant Major with a recon background. He's trying to find himself, a mysterious Forerunner artifact, and the right mix of nature and nurture to lead his troops. He's awkward and stutters, standing a mere 4'7". The ODSTs teach him how to have summer fun in a training montage.

Sarah Silverman is Veronica Vasquez, the only Spartan-IV recruit that's ever bested Palmer in hand-to-hand combat. She's mastered 69 forms of martial arts and is a master of Promethean weaponry, relying on a hardlight broadsword fashioned out of a dismembered Knight arm. She calls it Vexcalibur.

She dies in the first five minutes to a Grunt holding a potato gun.

Chettlar

Banned
If you're a Halo fan, wouldn't you rather have a physical copy? But digital does seem more expensive.

Digital is more convenient, and I'm slowly, slowly transitioning to digital only.

I'm a PC gamer at heart, so coming to a console and not being able to get digital games on the cheep feels weird. I'm also a rabid completionist, so I have to own all content in a game (plus I want to get those achievements).

I'll probably go with physical, but I wish I could go digital.

When is the next time MS generally has sales? They've been having a fair amount of those on the 360 lately.

I can see it now.

Seth Green is Gaz, an elite (as in good, not sangheili) hacker commissioned by ONI. He wears all black and has nasty-ass dreads but he's one of the best they've got. He's trying to be a mole for Master Chief, and accepts pay in Xena tapes and Hot Pockets.

Michael Cera is Eli Del Rio, a reserved by-the-book Sergeant Major with a recon background. He's trying to find himself, a mysterious Forerunner artifact, and the right mix of nature and nurture to lead his troops. He's awkward and stutters, standing a mere 4'7". The ODSTs teach him how to have summer fun in a training montage.

Sarah Silverman is Veronica Vasquez, the only Spartan-IV recruit that's ever bested Palmer in hand-to-hand combat. She's mastered 69 forms of martial arts and is a master of Promethean weaponry, relying on a hardlight broadsword fashioned out of a dismembered Knight arm. She calls it Vexcalibur.

She dies in the first five minutes to a Grunt holding a potato gun.

Why not Palmer herself?

Wahrer pls.

Havoc2049

I went into Titanfall with no expectations and I didn't expect it to be like the Halo series at all. To me, it is like a dumbed down Quake Wars with better graphics, but without the classes, without all the vehicles except the mech and a basic playlist and not as good gunplay. Throw in some perks, weapon and weapon mod unlocks that makes the gameplay unfair and you are left with an average FPS. I also don't like the fact that it is only 6 vs 6 and the maps are fairly large and you end up killing more bots each match than you do actual players. The wall running, graphics, fairly fast gameplay and semi-decent fast mech play is what keeps it in the average range in the FPS genre. I would complain about the match making, but they have kinda fixed that.

belushy

Banned
I went into Titanfall with no expectations and I didn't expect it to be like the Halo series at all. To me, it is like a dumbed down Quake Wars with better graphics, but without the classes, without all the vehicles except the mech and a basic playlist and not as good gunplay. Throw in some perks, weapon and weapon mod unlocks that makes the gameplay unfair and you are left with an average FPS. I also don't like the fact that it is only 6 vs 6 and the maps are fairly large and you end up killing more bots each match than you do actual players. The wall running, graphics, fairly fast gameplay and semi-decent fast mech play is what keeps it in the average range in the FPS genre. I would complain about the match making, but they have kinda fixed that.

Have they added the option to play 6v6 players without bots or mechs? Or are all the maps really that big that it wouldn't work?

Tzeentch

To clarify, wat I meant by IP was the code itself. It does sound like a mess to go and fix that. It's something they were given, not something they built, so it's tougher to work with and fix bugs. It's probably not even worth bothering for them at this point.
-- That could be. I imagine tracking some of these achievements is a pain in the rear even at the best of times. And some may not be done by 343 at all, but by Certain Affinity or one of the other outsource partners.

-- This does make me wonder exactly how the achievement system functions behind the scenes though. As in, how they track the progress flags and attribution for deaths (as seen in Fails of the Weak you can get some bizarre combos).

Booties

Banned
-- That could be. I imagine tracking some of these achievements is a pain in the rear even at the best of times. And some may not be done by 343 at all, but by Certain Affinity or one of the other outsource partners.

-- This does make me wonder exactly how the achievement system functions behind the scenes though. As in, how they track the progress flags and attribution for deaths (as seen in Fails of the Weak you can get some bizarre combos).

And to make it worse, something you add later can have unexpected consequences and further complicate the situation. Fixes create more bugs, more content masks the initial problems further, etc. It must be a nightmare to some degree.

Fuchsdh

And to make it worse, something you add later can have unexpected consequences and further complicate the situation. Fixes create more bugs, more content masks the initial problems further, etc. It must be a nightmare to some degree.
The magic of programming. I was amazed that I managed to play through Skyrim without encountering a bug that would force me to start over... I was incredibly lucky.

The Halo campaigns have always been fairly error-free aside from exploits and such that I think people would be a bit miffed if they actually patched out. In Halo 4 I've never had any issues although I know the Lich has it's share of possible issues.

I have my concerns over this halo tv series. Spielberg has had his name related (and over hyped) to tv shows that have just fizzled out in the past.

Top Bottom