• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

He's talking about this:

ija9zQzdGKlCZ.jpg

You can buy them for 8-10 bucks.

I'm still baffled at the lack of forgeable spaces on Ravine, Impact and the other terrible looking one... they should have give them the same treatment as Forge Island but with some actual map geometry instead of a flat surface.

Just give us some cliffs/hill objects to fill in there... it makes me sad because I like Impact's look and you'd make some cool BTB maps if there were some space to actually forge.

You can pretty much tell the ones who made forge in H4 (I think it was CA) had little to no experience with Reach's forge.

Omni

They should have just remade Forge World and put a flat island in the water.

Though I guess they were already stretching the budget pretty thin in Reach... so I guess there's always Halo 5

They should have just remade Forge World and put a flat island in the water.

Though I guess they were already stretching the budget pretty thin in Reach... so I guess there's always Halo 5

Forge World's palette, while being an ugly grey shitfest also worked better than H4's overdesigned pieces. Reach's forge maps are much easier to the eyes.

They already reskinned some pieces for Forge Island which is a pretty good thing but most of them were kept the same.

Fuchsdh

Forge World's palette, while being an ugly grey shitfest also worked better than H4's overdesigned pieces. Reach's forge maps are much easier to the eyes.

They already reskinned some pieces for Forge Island which is a pretty good thing but most of them were kept the same.

I sort of go back and forth on it. A lot of 4's pieces are a bit too busy texture-wise, but so were Reach's--they were just more monotonously grey. The cleaned-up textures on the Forge Island pieces were very welcome. Hopefully with Halo 5 Forge they can give us some very simple textured pieces to mix in with the walls and floor block pieces--it's more an issue of variety than anything else.

And I have a hard time saying that Reach forge maps are much better looking than Halo 4 ones. If they can address the issues with crafting interior spaces (adding your own dynamic lights, etc.) to avoid Shadows: The Game, I'll be immensely happy.

FyreWulff

The only drawback to forging in Reach now is the lack of lighting on the Forge pieces. 4's generated Forge shadows was an IMMENSE help in player orientation and map appearance.

I sort of go back and forth on it. A lot of 4's pieces are a bit too busy texture-wise, but so were Reach's--they were just more monotonously grey. The cleaned-up textures on the Forge Island pieces were very welcome. Hopefully with Halo 5 Forge they can give us some very simple textured pieces to mix in with the walls and floor block pieces--it's more an issue of variety than anything else.

And I have a hard time saying that Reach forge maps are much better looking than Halo 4 ones. If they can address the issues with crafting interior spaces (adding your own dynamic lights, etc.) to avoid Shadows: The Game, I'll be immensely happy.

Maybe add an option to make a piece unlit, you could use these pieces for roof pieces and the like...

As for 4 looking better than Reach, I think we atleast can agree on Erosion being the most terrific looking pile of crap ever.

FyreWulff

Maybe add an option to make a piece unlit, you could use these pieces for roof pieces and the like...

A forge trick you can do to light indoor spaces in Halo 4 is to delay-spawn your roof pieces. 1 second is enough, they just need to not exist when the map actually loads, and they'll be skipped in the lighting pass. And nobody will notice them spawning in.

A forge trick you can do to light indoor spaces in Halo 4 is to delay-spawn your roof pieces. 1 second is enough, they just need to not exist when the map actually loads, and they'll be skipped in the lighting pass. And nobody will notice them spawning in.

That's actually pretty clever.

I also experimented with scaling big objects like colliseum walls and Forge Island's rocks to 300% or similar to create bigger, cleaner looking flat surfaces, using green screens or grids placed below them since the collision model is kept the same.

Also, I have a test ready variant of Sabotage so maybe we could get a lobby going this weekend, I just have to get a couple maps ready to support it.

Fuchsdh

That's actually pretty clever.

I also experimented with scaling big objects like colliseum walls and Forge Island's rocks to 300% or similar to create bigger, cleaner looking flat surfaces, using green screens or grids placed below them since the collision model is kept the same.

Also, I have a test ready variant of Sabotage so maybe we could get a lobby going this weekend, I just have to get a couple maps ready to support it.

I should have time to participate. I do want to try it out.

Fuchsdh

Did anyone end up using that green screen for actual machinema?

I'm sure some people did, but honestly machinima is pretty much dead insofar as a very busy medium in general. I think I can count the number of good machinima series on one hand since RvB/Codex/Fire Team Charlie. It just didn't take off like I guess everyone thought. Still awesome that they included it and I hope it remains standard in the next iteration.

I've actually used the greenscreen more for compositing and things like player graphics.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I'm sure some people did, but honestly machinima is pretty much dead insofar as a very busy medium in general. I think I can count the number of good machinima series on one hand since RvB/Codex/Fire Team Charlie. It just didn't take off like I guess everyone thought. Still awesome that they included it and I hope it remains standard in the next iteration.

I've actually used the greenscreen more for compositing and things like player graphics.

It's really hard for me to get a good color selection from the H4 green screen. The way the lighting works in the game, it's almost like it cast's a green highlight around the player/vehicle, making it impossible to pull a clean selection. It's next to impossible to pull a clean selection for video. Maybe I'm just bad/doing it wrong?

Tawpgun

Machinima skyrocketed in Halo 2, mainly because community machinima groups flourished.

Then in Halo 3 they wouldn't let people lower their weapons online, and things weren't filmed in real time anymore. Just made making machinima a lot less fun. But theater did make things easier so machinima did pretty good in Halo 3 also, but more professional groups flourished.

By reach most people were burned out on halo machinima. Wasn't fun to make still, community dwindled,

Now its meh.

But its cool they added a green screen.

I remember in Halo 2 we tried using green screen by blasting a wall with explosives to turn it black. Or we got out of Containment for the glowing pure white background.

Good times.

Machinima skyrocketed in Halo 2, mainly because community machinima groups flourished.

Then in Halo 3 they wouldn't let people lower their weapons online, and things weren't filmed in real time anymore. Just made making machinima a lot less fun. But theater did make things easier so machinima did pretty good in Halo 3 also, but more professional groups flourished.

By reach most people were burned out on halo machinima. Wasn't fun to make still, community dwindled,

Now its meh.

But its cool they added a green screen.

I remember in Halo 2 we tried using green screen by blasting a wall with explosives to turn it black. Or we got out of Containment for the glowing pure white background.

Good times.

Just another example of the fans crying out to Bungie for areas they wanted to see improvement, things they wanted to add, etc., yet we received AA's, a removal of in-game ranks, progression systems, perks, lower quality maps, no improvements to additions before 2007 (Matchmaking), no improvements to additions on or after 2007 (Forge, Theater, Campaign scoring).... I mean, this list can go pretty frikkin far for both Bungie and 343.

Got to give credit to 343 for staying on top of these Bulletins and updating MM with gametypes that feel different from what's been in before. Ninja Assassins sounds fun.

I miss 1 flag and 1 bomb the most of anything Halo.

It really should be the default flag gametype for most of the big team maps I play on. The current structure of the maps lends to one team having quite the advantage either on defense or offense. Even neutral flag can be a pain in the ass on these maps.

Fuchsdh

It's really hard for me to get a good color selection from the H4 green screen. The way the lighting works in the game, it's almost like it cast's a green highlight around the player/vehicle, making it impossible to pull a clean selection. It's next to impossible to pull a clean selection for video. Maybe I'm just bad/doing it wrong?

The lighting in Halo 4 isn't exactly favorable to getting a pure green key but it sounds like your issue is green spill on the subjects. Just back up the green screen so it's not right against your actors. You might also want to boost the saturation to pull the key in post, then apply the matte to an unadjusted layer. Dunno what program you're using but After Effects and Motion both have excellent keying software with spill suppressors.

Ninja assassins sounds fun--I like the leveling up approach for certain gametypes like these.

The explanation for community meld isn't helping me as someone who doesn't play KI though. Is this essentially Waypoint-like functionality but in the game without having to launch something else? If it is I'm hopeful this will translate to Halo 5 and whatever else they push out.

Tzeentch

The explanation for community meld isn't helping me as someone who doesn't play KI though. Is this essentially Waypoint-like functionality but in the game without having to launch something else?
-- Aye, what does it actually mean? "Community Meld" makes it sound like a cross-platform interface?

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
The lighting in Halo 4 isn't exactly favorable to getting a pure green key but it sounds like your issue is green spill on the subjects. Just back up the green screen so it's not right against your actors. You might also want to boost the saturation to pull the key in post, then apply the matte to an unadjusted layer. Dunno what program you're using but After Effects and Motion both have excellent keying software with spill suppressors.

I'm not really worried about doing video stuff with it. Vegas Pro 11 is all I have for video editing. I basically never use it, because I'm terrible with it. I specifically use shop and it's really difficult for me to pull things from the green screen with color selection. I'm usually better off just laso/pen selecting things.

I miss 1 flag and 1 bomb the most of anything Halo.
While not quite the same topic, I was devastated when ranked BTB was removed from Halo 2. I loved 1 flag and 1 bomb games. Even team objective 1 flag and 1 bomb games were great. There's a certain high you get when everyone rushes the base or when you are anticipating the rush on defense. Armor abilities, instant respawns, and random ordnance really take away from the suspenseful build up in games.

Top Bottom