• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
KrA1Yof.jpg

Starts in about an hour from now

Oh, misread that as Seth Rogen for a second there. Imagined him playing Roland :lol

J up! I'll be playing.

Omni

KrA1Yof.jpg

Starts in about an hour from now

Is there anything special about this or is it just one of those things where you can say "oh I played with some 343i employees"? It would be nice if they unlocked some of those DMR and BR skins in Halo 4...

They're literally the best looking ones in the game... and yet they're locked away. *shrugs*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is there anything special about this or is it just one of those things where you can say "oh I played with some 343i employees"? It would be nice if they unlocked some of those DMR and BR skins in Halo 4...

They're literally the best looking ones in the game... and yet they're locked away. *shrugs*

Noted.

buy the DLC?

I have all the DLC. Those two skins are locked for some reason. No one has them.

Okay, that's a lie. Ran into a hacker a few weeks back and he was using the BR skin. Was extremely jelly watching that kill cam

Oh I noticed the DLC have the orange stripes but without the silver palette, the DMR looks awesome.

daedalius

Good lord, Titanfall's matchmaking is absolute garbage.

Beta matchmaking, so good, such wow.

Also dedicated servers(on PC at least!) when your friends aren't local are pretty much shit, or at least Titanfall's are. Nothing like rolling with a 150+ ping with Exwife and 30 by myself.

Cool Destinylands stuff, watch it while its up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSSMC4O6J8Q

Madness

As long as you're taking requests, can you please escalate removing the "sign-in" requirements for Halo Waypoint to look up stats? It's just too frustrating, slow, laggy and having to sign-in. Sometimes I just want to quickly open the site, search and keep playing.

Good lord, Titanfall's matchmaking is absolute garbage.

Beta matchmaking, so good, such wow.

Also dedicated servers(on PC at least!) when your friends aren't local are pretty much shit, or at least Titanfall's are. Nothing like rolling with a 150+ ping with Exwife and 30 by myself.

Cool Destinylands stuff, watch it while its up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSSMC4O6J8Q

Don't worry guys, it's cool. We'll use our "improved matchmaking" to match you against a team of Gen 10 50's that are rolling together all with mics. Also, let's put a couple non-gen'd lvl 3s on your team that don't know how to shoot, run, or even jump.

What? Your game of attrition (or anything other than last titan standing) only took 2 minutes to finish because no one else on your team got a kill on a pilot or even a minion? Sounds like everything is working great to me!

Seriously, Halo 4 is such a better game, at least compared to the PC version.

I'll be on tomorrow evening (Mountain Time) if anyone wants to play.

Halo 3 is so pretty. I don't know how anyone can race through Tsavo Highway without looking at the scenery. Or at least the Covenant Cruiser that flies overhead

Are you playing on Easy?

Nah im not racing, just a couple of my mates. I was on earlier on tonight trying to get the WR on easy though

50 seconds in and the words synchronised dancing have been used.
This will be good.

I haven't really had any problems with titanfalls matchmaking (Xbox one) as an individual yet, although trying to play with friends is 10x worse than the slight troubles we had in Halo 4.
Not sure what side the fault lies on, but it took use 45 minutes just to all join a party and team together which only lasted one match then some of us got returned to lobby and cut from the chat. The future truly is here.

50 seconds in and the words synchronised dancing have been used.
This will be good.

I haven't really had any problems with titanfalls matchmaking (Xbox one) as an individual yet, although trying to play with friends is 10x worse than the slight troubles we had in Halo 4.
Not sure what side the fault lies on, but it took use 45 minutes just to all join a party and team together which only lasted one match then some of us got returned to lobby and cut from the chat. The future truly is here.

Yeah - going solo on PC, matchmaking is fast and connection quality is generally better than playing with anyone who doesn't live in the same state. But teams are never remotely balanced and the JIP settings are stupidly loose (joining a game in the evacuation phase and getting a loss).

Playing with a lobby is simple enough, once you've got the lobby set up, but the horrible ping rates between the different dedicated servers (all in the US) can vary by hundreds of ms. It can be unplayable usually 1 in 4 matches for at least one of us. Xbox One has a stupid amount of issues with matching and chat and other stuff that 360 solved a decade ago and it just boggles my mind how much stuff the One didn't ship with.

In any case, after nights of Titanfall like this, I'm actually really looking forward to playing Halo 4. It's that much better and more reliable.

Yeah - going solo on PC, matchmaking is fast and connection quality is generally better than playing with anyone who doesn't live in the same state. But teams are never remotely balanced and the JIP settings are stupidly loose (joining a game in the evacuation phase and getting a loss).

Playing with a lobby is simple enough, once you've got the lobby set up, but the horrible ping rates between the different dedicated servers (all in the US) can vary by hundreds of ms. It can be unplayable usually 1 in 4 matches for at least one of us. Xbox One has a stupid amount of issues with matching and chat and other stuff that 360 solved a decade ago and it just boggles my mind how much stuff the One didn't ship with.

In any case, after nights of Titanfall like this, I'm actually really looking forward to playing Halo 4. It's that much better and more reliable.
JIP is as bad as ever. Is there actually a game that has ever got it right?
That's something that really frustrates me. The 360 had everything right. Invites, chats messages whatever. It takes about a minute to load my friends list on the One and good luck getting into a party. It's a new console and all but change for the sake of change isn't always good. Apparently there was an update to fix these issues, didn't work.

It's a dark day when the words Halo 4, better and reliable are used in conjunction.

IHaveIce

Banned
I had less problems playing with US fellas in halo 4 p2p as a German than with those dedicated servers.

I seriously am scared that playing Halo with you guys will be a chore on the xbox One

JIP is as bad as ever. Is there actually a game that has ever got it right?

Not really, but I would never had suspected that Halo 4 would have done it better.

I had less problems playing with US fellas in halo 4 p2p as a German than with those dedicated servers.

I seriously am scared that playing Halo with you guys will be a chore on the xbox One

From hearing about stuff second-hand, tons of stuff on the One seems half-assed. It's good to hear the dedis for that game suck and it's not "just me" syndrome in effect though.

Solid Bungie talk. Genius system. Makes me excited to see the differences in detail between current and previous gen systems.

Hopefully Halo 5 has a pretty robust customization system. The whole bits and bobs thing reminded me a lot of Forge, minus the dyes.

If Xbox One prices don't go down in Canada by the summer, I'll probably just get a PS4 first to play Destiny beta and release
(really wish they would just announce an eventual PC version, though)

That moment you realize 343 killed the best gametype (Invasion) and the best vehicle (Falcon) and now Forge is a downgraded mess with no space to Forge.

:(

So the Halo 1 on Steam petition almost has more supporters than the SEGA games on PC one and its only been like a day
Pliss.
Don't worry guys, it's cool. We'll use our "improved matchmaking" to match you against a team of Gen 10 50's that are rolling together all with mics. Also, let's put a couple non-gen'd lvl 3s on your team that don't know how to shoot, run, or even jump.
Progression ranks mean jack diddly squat (destroyed too many teams of high gens already), but I get your point. Matchmaking sucks most of the time for any game IMO ;]

CGB + MM > MM alone
That moment you realize 343 killed the best gametype (Invasion) and the best vehicle (Falcon) and now Forge is a downgraded mess with no space to Forge.

Talking about things they killed and doesn't even bring up the Grenade Launcher.. For shame Gabo.

Caladrius

The vehicle section of ODST's final level is a poop.

Damn these ghosts

Damn them to Spartan Assault.

The last battle in front of the zoo is still great though.

Pliss.
Talking about things they killed and doesn't even bring up the Grenade Launcher.. For shame Gabo.

Seriously, one of the best new weapons we had in years gets removed as fast as it came.

Also the lack of Firefight and action sack. Especially firefight since I spent like 80% of my Reach days playing it.

Totally forgot about the Grenade Launcher. Reach wasn't actually awful, I don't know why it gets so much hate. By all means it wasn't great though.

Juan

Totally forgot about the Grenade Launcher. Reach wasn't actually awful, I don't know why it gets so much hate. By all means it wasn't great though.

I'm playing it right know, and seriously, the game is a lot of fun! It feels like Halo.

But damn, the Jetpack and the Armor Lock are so such frustrating when other players use them. It ruins the game. The sprint didn't (not so much at least).

Grenade and Plasma launcher were pretty great additions, I'll take the Plasma Launcher over the overpowered shitfest the Incineration Cannon is.
We need more weapons with unique traits like the Grenade Launcher and Plasma Launcher. Halo needs cool weapons that feel very different from other games, not reskinned human weapons.

Halo CE and Halo 2 felt fresh for this very reason.

Tawpgun

We need more weapons with unique traits like the Grenade Launcher and Plasma Launcher. Halo needs cool weapons that feel very different from other games, not reskinned human weapons.

Halo CE and Halo 2 felt fresh for this very reason.
Using the halo 2 sword was sweeeeeet. Sentinel beans were underused in mp.

Chettlar

Banned
Solid Bungie talk. Genius system. Makes me excited to see the differences in detail between current and previous gen systems.

Hopefully Halo 5 has a pretty robust customization system. The whole bits and bobs thing reminded me a lot of Forge, minus the dyes.

If Xbox One prices don't go down in Canada by the summer, I'll probably just get a PS4 first to play Destiny beta and release
(really wish they would just announce an eventual PC version, though)

Yeah really good talk.

Oh, and about Xbox prices. I was just in best buy and they had a Titanfall bundle for $450 (effectively $390 because Titanfal is $60).

Practically everything gaming related was marked down. Don't think it was a purely local thing.

I really really hope halo 2 or halo 5 don't use Kinect

For controlling (either by voice or gesture. doesn't matter.), I totally agree with you.

But stuff like making your own custom pose for your spartan could work really well. I actually implemented that into my menu mockup.

Speaking of which, would it be appropriate to post my future Halo menu mockup here? Or would that be too off topic? (Yes, I know, that took forever. But I've been working on it off and on, and I like how it turned out).

I'm playing it right know, and seriously, the game is a lot of fun! It feels like Halo.

But damn, the Jetpack and the Armor Lock are so such frustrating when other players use them. It ruins the game. The sprint didn't (not so much at least).
Things that made Reach a poor man's Halo for me: bloom, bad armor abilities, below average maps, horribly slow base player movement, and poor jumping ability. But it had its moments. For me, I simply loved capturing clips and posting them to B.net, which was really just an extention of Halo 3's Theater Mode. I still go back and watch clips every now and again. Hail Mary Grenade Finish

Halo 4 fixed a lot of the things I disliked about Reach, but then they went and added a bunch of far more devastating things to the game (eg getting rid of armor lock only to add promethean vision). And I still don't know why anyone would want to build a competitive FPS game around Fiesta Mode (aka random ordnance). It's mind boggling. There's no way to have honest competition with that type of system. And instant respawns are great for A.D.D. casuals who just want some mindless fun, but I feel it really hurt Halo 4 long term.

Tawpgun

Beta focus rifle :O

Imagine a focus rifle with damage boost :O

They really do need more interesting weapons.

Not just different takes on Shoot this projectile comes out

Progression ranks mean jack diddly squat (destroyed too many teams of high gens already), but I get your point. Matchmaking sucks most of the time for any game IMO ;]
Skills are not the issue. Everyone in that game is pretty derpy. It's the fact that my teammates don't have the better guns, burn cards, perks, kit, titans, scopes, etc. There's a certain futility in trying to win.

Beta focus rifle :O

Imagine a focus rifle with damage boost :O

They really do need more interesting weapons.

Not just different takes on Shoot this projectile comes out

To be fair, "shoot this projectile comes out" and "shoot this blunt impact comes out" could define just about every weapon on the planet, in-game and out.

Tawpgun

To be fair, "shoot this projectile comes out" and "shoot this blunt impact comes out" could define just about every weapon on the planet, in-game and out.

What I'm saying is all the ordnance in Halo 4 aside from maybe the sticky det is just a projecticle coming out at varying speeds, damages, and AOE damages.

Oh and aside from the melee weapons too.

There's no beam weapons no cool secondary fire mechanics, nothing interesting at all.

Tawpgun

Tashi can you coordinate me a Halo 4 Games on Demand code so I could play again? Disc drive broke so I can't play Haloz anymore.

Top Bottom