• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Are we sure that's not fake? I doubt that stuff is actually from 2005.

The detail thing sure isn't fake. Because you can see it in early Halo 4 screenshots too.

As for the timestamp, it might be buggy software, incorrectly set machine clock or whatever. I wouldn't read too much to it. EDIT not saying the pics are real either, but i won't decide either way based on timestamp.

Interestingly the background in the image is what was used in build of Halo 4 around E3 2012, if i recall correctly. Didn't we see a menu shot with Halo ring during that E3?

FyreWulff

Timestamp is due to 360s resetting themselves to november 22 2005 when they lose their date by being unplugged. I think devkits do the same thing.

you usually don't notice this because your 360 sets it's time from Live every time you boot it up.

The detail thing sure isn't fake. Because you can see it in early Halo 4 screenshots too.

As for the timestamp, it might be buggy software, incorrectly set machine clock or whatever. I wouldn't read too much to it. EDIT not saying the pics are real either, but i won't decide either way based on timestamp.

Interestingly the background in the image is what was used in build of Halo 4 around E3 2012, if i recall correctly. Didn't we see a menu shot with Halo ring during that E3?

That asset is still in-game - it ended up being used for Installation 03, specifically on the mission Composer. All of that beta stuff looks pretty in-line with all the other UI demos we saw in the vidoc. Chances are they ran even worse than the UI that we have now and they couldn't keep it up to snuff technically on the 360.

Woorloog

Banned
That asset is still in-game - it ended up being used for Installation 03, specifically on the mission Composer. All of that beta stuff looks pretty in-line with all the other UI demos we saw in the vidoc. Chances are they ran even worse than the UI that we have now and they couldn't keep it up to snuff technically on the 360.

Oh, i know. And i reckon it is actually the other way around, they just used Halo 03 for the main menu for that build, not "used Halo meant for main menu for a mission". You know, classic Halo background and all that.

As for the baseball cards... i kind of like them. Aside from that silly sideways name, and the inconvenient UI arrangement in general.
Why i like them? Because they could be used for a collectible thing. Kill a player, you get his "card". As long as he uses the same armor and pose, you get a number for how many times you've killed him, and if he changes anything and you kill him again, you get another card of him.
A bit like the dogtag system in BF3 (does BF4 have it?).

Ghazi

Since I just came out of watching Matrix and Reloaded, $15 says we see Palmer x Masta Chef do something like this in Halo 5 as they storm UNSC headquarters to do something.

Frankie, take note.

Fuchsdh

But 343i showed those models in motion on the waypoint app video.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if they'd ripped the models for their own fanmade thing. But Fyre's explanation makes it reasonable enough it was some actual content.

Oh, i know. And i reckon it is actually the other way around, they just used Halo 03 for the main menu for that build, not "used Halo meant for main menu for a mission". You know, classic Halo background and all that.

As for the baseball cards... i kind of like them. Aside from that silly sideways name, and the inconvenient UI arrangement in general.
Why i like them? Because they could be used for a collectible thing. Kill a player, you get his "card". As long as he uses the same armor and pose, you get a number for how many times you've killed him, and if he changes anything and you kill him again, you get another card of him.
A bit like the dogtag system in BF3 (does BF4 have it?).

I don't think there's anything wrong with the baseball card idea, really, except that usability went out the window with the horizontal as opposed to vertical arrangement, and the fact that they coopted the bumpers, triggers, AND thumbsticks to scroll through them as opposed to doing something useful like changing teams (to this day in customs people still don't realize how to change teams in H4.)

Having a Spartan with its own pose is cool. Having that seriously impact some basic functionality of the UI is not. But I don't think those are mutually exclusive.

Madness

8.png

Weren't they also were testing Reach style ranks at one point?

Chettlar

Banned
Anybody mind if I put up my Halo menu mockups? I've got like ten different pictures going into all the stuff and what not.

I'm just not wanting to get the thread locked.

Vico

I'm seriously shocked to see cghub.com just got closed.
A lot of artists (including 343 and Bungie employees) only posted their work there. Huge loss.

Chettlar

Banned
Didn't we already do the Halo menu UI mockup thing?

It was a while ago, yeah. I started working on mine, but never finished it because it took me longer than expected (I always work harder on things than I need to. :S).

I'll polish 'em up and post them when I get home.

Tawpgun

I don't understand moba's and cod is super boring.

Fuck.

Make halo 5 esports friendly. I remember thinking it was the coolest shot watching halo 2 played on USA network back in the day lol

Halo peaked too early:(

I believe this was because of several reasons:
  • Bungie not listening to their hardcore fanbase by prioritizing what to include in the next game (How many years were we begging for damage sliders and many other things?).
  • Fans not knowing what they really wanted (Halo 3 BR nerf, sprint, Jet Packs, all things that the fanbase wanted in Halo before H3/Reach, whereas the minority who wanted just faster base movement, faster kill times, etc. were disregarded).
  • Three year development cycles with marginal improvements to gameplay and features while other developers were blowing the competition out the water, and on a yearly basis in terms of CoD.
    The thing that disappoints me with this is how fans were seriously claiming that 3 year dev cycles was milking a franchise.. It was just the "gaming culture" back then before sequels were so prevalent.
Combine those with some other reasons I didn't mention (deliberately slower and inconsistent gameplay, poor quality maps, objective gametypes getting the shaft, etc.) and MW's dominance, and it's understandable why Halo isn't the face of competitive console shooters anymore.

OT but Game of Thrones was very satisfying last night ;]

Black Ops really improved the theather mode even adding a competitive spectator mode, In Ghost they revamped in game match score to see who are the top three players in both teams and get special challenges if you manage to kill them without saturating your screen with white letters.

While in halo we are stuck with the same spectator mode and unable to upload clips, cut or add clips.

CyReN

With Call of Duty too, some Halo fans like to complain it's the same game year after year. I think that's why it's successful, you know what you expect. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were similar for a lot of things gameplay wise while adding amazing features (Forge, Theater, etc). I would have no issues with Halo doing that back then. It just strayed away with Reach and took a nosedive with 4.

plz save us.

Havoc2049

I feel COD has reached its peak as well and is on the decline. Halo could make a comeback or some other FPS in the near future (year or two).

I honestly think halo could use a well-deserved death at this point, catch some z's and get rebooted before the end of the decade. Same with Metroid. No franchise can hope to positively innovate and consistently crank out enjoyable knuckle babies for over 10 years.

I feel COD has reached its peak as well and is on the decline. Halo could make a comeback or some other FPS in the near future (year or two).

Has reached its peak on old hardware and old systems*

If a CoD comes out that utilizes the power of new hardware similar to MW's impact back in 2007, then I think CoD may have a good shot at changing that image. Truth be told, they have the momentum, they have the fanbase and they have the money, so if they capitalize on bringing new life to that franchise then I think Halo might be better off releasing several months before CoD. Halo 4 releasing just a few days before Black Ops 2 was a huge mistake. There's an entire Summer that could be used for a new Halo, not to mention it can be promoted again during the holidays with a bundle of several maps or something else. I just don't think Halo should ever go head to head with a CoD again, at least not for the foreseeable future.

EDIT:
I honestly think halo could use a well-deserved death at this point, catch some z's and get rebooted before the end of the decade. Same with Metroid. No franchise can hope to positively innovate and consistently crank out enjoyable knuckle babies for over 10 years.
No. If Nintendo gave a crap about online multiplayer and we received something like Halo but for Metroid Prime, then I don't think you'd be saying that right now.

Well-deserved death.. Go away with that shittttttt

Has reached its peak on old hardware and old systems*

If a CoD comes out that utilizes the power of new hardware similar to MW's impact back in 2007, then I think CoD may have a good shot at changing that image. Truth be told, they have the momentum, they have the fanbase and they have the money, so if they capitalize on bringing new life to that franchise then I think Halo might be better off releasing several months before CoD. Halo 4 releasing just a few days before Black Ops 2 was a huge mistake. There's an entire Summer that could be used for a new Halo, not to mention it can be promoted again during the holidays with a bundle of several maps or something else. I just don't think Halo should ever go head to head with a CoD again, at least not for the foreseeable future.

EDIT:
No. If Nintendo gave a crap about online multiplayer and we received something like Halo but for Metroid Prime, then I don't think you'd be saying that right now.

Well-deserved death.. Go away with that shittttttt

Dude, some franchises deserve a hushed casket every once in a while. A big-budget Metroid Prime: Hunters multi title for consoles and cheat-proofing would be glorious, but it's not going to happen in today's market. They're both The Land Before Time of video games at this point. I'm not saying kill them forever, just let them get some beauty rest until the industry lightens up on the coddledieldfall craze for a bit.

Dude, some franchises deserve a hushed casket every once in a while. A big-budget Metroid Prime: Hunters multi title for consoles and cheat-proofing would be glorious, but it's not going to happen in today's market. They're both The Land Before Time of video games at this point. I'm not saying kill them forever, just let them get some beauty rest until the industry lightens up on the coddledieldfall craze for a bit.
How you can suggest killing off a popular franchise that is still making a lot of money is beyond me lol. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying and I would agree if the franchise was in decline, but in reality it's not. People are craving a new Halo breh, all gamers, whether they're interested in Halo or not, people keep their eyes on this franchise because of the word of mouth it gets.

And plus, me without Halo is like Link without his Master Sword.
Or like MC without his M6D ;]

Havoc2049

I dont think so, they are moving COD to a more competitive way. Ranked matches are overwhelming

In general though, I think average joe gamer is feeling a little burnt out on Call of Duty.

Best selling FPS games on the X360:
•Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (14.19m)
•Call of Duty: Black Ops (14.01m)
•Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (13.19m)
•Call of Duty: Black Ops II (12.64m)
•Halo 3 (11.89m)
•Halo: Reach (9.54m)
•Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (9.04m)
•Halo 4 (8.98m)
•Call of Duty: Ghosts (8.41m)
•Battlefield 3 (7.13m)
•Call of Duty: World at War (7.07m)
•Halo 3: ODST (6.22m)

Speaking of nerdy game gear... This will sooo be on my keychain here in the near future.
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRCH106#.U0xG6axOWUk

Omni

Not until Halo 3 gets released on Steam god damnit!

It's so frustrating having Halo CE and Halo 2 on PC but not being able to finish the trilogy without my Xbox.

Can anyone recommend some dark (as in low-lit) 1920x1080 or larger Halo concept art? I went through Forward Unto Dawn's gallery and minus the 1440p Halo 5 teaser, native 1080p stuff were slim pickings.

Omni

I love ODST concept art. There's one image that shows a battle between ODSTs and a Wraith during the day and a another 'partner' picture that is set at the same location at night with the aftermath. Soooo good

Fuchsdh

I love ODST concept art. There's one image that shows a battle between ODSTs and a Wraith during the day and a another 'partner' picture that is set at the same location at night with the aftermath. Soooo good

Yep, concept art is awesome. I think Halo 4's concept art was actually the most successful of the games we've seen in translating its spirit into the game, with the sort of alien and towering Forerunner aesthetic of Requiem. Still a shame we didn't get more time just exploring those massive areas, but even with the briefer tastes we got it was really nice and easily one of the big highlights of the campaign.

I have always wondered how Master Chief felt about the other Spartans after the S-II's, he wasn't in action around the S-III's, but definitely with S-IV's this time in Halo 4. Kinda an empty feeling if you're in his position seeing and knowing about the Spartans that came to be after his fellow team and S-II's are MIA & KIA years before. The only other beings left alive that actually give a damn about Chief, are Halsey, Laskey, Lord Hood, Arby, and perhaps Blue Team.

Top Bottom