• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Random17

It was all dem conservative tweets. Something something Bungie trickled down on his employment.

If this was the case he would have been fired years ago.

I think it may be more personal.

Marty is part of the senior leadership team IIRC, but I'm pretty sure the board is comprised of people like Harold Ryan and Jason Jones.

They've been working with each other for 20 years. Getting fired "without cause" implies something serious.

Madness

Yeah no joke Frank, David and whoever works at 343 now reading this, you need to hire Marty before anyone else does. His work fits Halo to a tee. Even if you don't think he can switch it up, just listen to how good Reach tracks were in game. He's superb at mixing music to match what's going on in the game and I can still remember what was happening from specific parts of the music.

There has to be a reason guys like Staten leave, Marty gets terminated etc. People like Marcus not with the company either.

Something like that doesn't just happen without cause. There must have been some difficult internal issues that aren't been said as of yet.
Massive loss there, hard to believe really.

343 make a deal he cannot refuse.

This is the perfect opportunity for 343 to get back to Halo's music roots, if O'Donnell working with Davidge, Tojima and Jinnouchi together (maybe just Jinnouchi and Tojima :p), one can only imagine. MS if Halo is truly your number one game to sell, you gotta throw all the monies!

This is the perfect opportunity for 343 to get back to Halo's music roots, if O'Donnell working with Davidge, Tojima and Jinnouchi together (maybe just Jinnouchi and Tojima :p), one can only imagine. MS if Halo is truly your number one game to sell, you gotta throw all the monies!

O'Donnell. Tojima, and Jinnouchi would be a godsend. Davidge has done his part, now its onto real Halo music.

TheOddOne

I thought the ost was quite good, however during the campaign I felt it's delivery was far too muted.
The mix was just not right.

The soundtrack needed more section to breath, lots constant moments that went on and on instead of going up and down. Kazuma Jinnouchi tracks did a far better job at this though.

Really shitty situation for both Marty and Bungie, I think, but perhaps an opportunity for 343 here... Speaking of which, where is that Music of the Spheres album?

Omni

It's so very dull playing Valhalla in CTF over and over and over. Every game literally plays out the same.

I miss Halo 3 where warthogs were useful and there were no mantises (why does it have shields again? Such an awful idea. I was actually watching a pre-release map walkthrough the other night where 343i said that the main counter to the Mantis was the other team's Mantis... eh?)

Fuchsdh

snag him back to 343, Halo 4's ost was crap. Only one track was good (117)

Patently false. Whether or not you think it's the best style for a Halo game, or whether or not you think Marty's music is overall superior, the Halo 4 music is excellent by its own rights.

That it was unfortunately poorly mixed in-game certainly doesn't help add that "memorable moment" kicker most of us get, though. I had to listen to the soundtracks to really appreciate Halo 4's score.

Dunno what happened to Marty but I wish him the best. I doubt 343 would hire him just because I don't think Marty would want to be second fiddle on a score and I'm sure Jinnouchi and co. are already at work for the next game.

How isn't it shitty? Marty has been heavily involved with every aspect of Bungie's audio for a damn long time. Both internally, to not only Bungie-corporate, but to his audio team - and the rest of the Destiny team at Bungie, and externally, to his fans.

I think people are going to be surprised when we get our book out (one day!) how many community leaders got their start because of Marty. Warthog Jump. This Spartan Life. The Running Riot. He was a tremendous force for the community.

343 its working full steam ahead with Neil for an equally dull and unmemorable score for Halo 5. Marty will have all the time in the world to shit on abortion on twitter now

TheOddOne

343 its working full steam ahead with Neil for an equally dull and unmemorable score for Halo 5. Marty will have all the time in the world to shit on abortion on twitter now
What did I tell you about Elzar's curse? It's real. It destroyed us, now it's destroying companies and next is console makers. Pray he never gets into PC gaming.

GhaleonEB

Never thought I'd say this but I'm not sure if I like Bungie anymore. First Staten and now Marty. *sigh*

I think it makes more sense to judge Bungie on the strength of their output, rather than on their personnel changes.

That said, Bungie without Joe's writing, Jaime's design and Marty's music is saddening to think about, but people do move on, and Bungie is a very big studio now (which actually worries me, but that's another story). But of all the departures, I can't think of one that will be more immediately noticeable than Marty's. Really hard to imagine Bungie's games without his score. Destiny's is sounding really great, too.

I wonder if it had to do with his ego. They joked a lot about that in ViDocs and interviews, but that kind of mentality can really be a problem with work with, especially if they're getting paid a lot of money. I wonder what the tension was that led to this because it's pretty significant news.

It would be crazy though if he went to 343, but I don't know if I see it happening. Maybe he'll be with Staten and/or Microsoft in general, and maybe bring back the monks?
Hands off my ugly duckling AA lover :p.
HA!

The Flash

Banned
I think it makes more sense to judge Bungie on the strength of their output, rather than on their personnel changes.

That said, Bungie without Joe's writing, Jaime's design and Marty's music is saddening to think about, but people do move on, and Bungie is a very big studio now (which actually worries me, but that's another story). But of all the departures, I can't think of one that will be more immediately noticeable than Marty's. Really hard to imagine Bungie's games without his score. Destiny's is sounding really great, too.

I know, I'm just a little sad that some of the old gang are leaving. Hope he gets on his feet soon.

But Destiny is not Halo and thanks for that, Bungie is making changes (or Activision is forcing them to change) good or bad to stay away from being the makers of Halo. Its sad to know he was out of the project like this.

I missed Marty's music so bad in Halo 4 but then I realized he would perform more depressing music (Reach, love the soundtrack) or the same Halo vibe.

The music in destiny is so different, who will be in charge of the music aspect now? Paul Mcarney?

You don't know the story do you of the ugly duckling? It turns into a beautiful swan.

HI_Cover_2.jpg

Not this one

Tawpgun

Not this one

hehehehehe

Jamie Staten and Marty should pull a Respawn entertainment and make a new studio :p

Writing, Music, Design. Get some artists in there and some code monkeys and make some cool games.

It will be interesting to see where Marty will go, and who will fill his shoes at Bungie. They might just contract out the music like most other studios.

BigShow36

Bungie figures their game design and balance was shitty, so they needed to bring their audio down to the same level so as not to confuse the fanbase.

Woorloog

Banned
Something i'm making in Kerbal Space Program:

The Longsword is the best UNSC vehicle of any type. I didn't like space combat in Reach because why do we have to fly such a boring... thing, instead of a proper space fighter? The Broadsword in Halo 4 is better* than the Sabre but still ain't as good as the Longsword.

The thing flies surprisingly well in KSP, not counting some instability (needs more duct tape ), and it doesn't actually have enough fuel for anything.

*Perhaps i should say the mission is much funnier rather than that the Broadsword is better than the Sabre, it is, after all, almost identical, not counting shape.

EDIT might try to make the Shortsword too. Don't even have to make it space-capable to match its Haloverse functionality (it is merely an atmospheric bomber).
EDIT do note that this Longsword is made with mods (B9 Aerospace pack and another i can't recall), though making one with default parts should be possible too. Just ain't as pretty.
EDIT with some slight changes, i actually got it to space too. No weapons of course. Also, haven't tried re-entry, don't have any fuel left.

Overdoziz

Banned
Hi guys.

I think the intent with the HaloGAF thread lock was clear, but this is the Halo 4 thread. So long as everything remains on topic (that would be Halo 4) and civil, that's fine. If everyone piles in here and turns it into the HaloGAF thread with another name, complete with the same problems, it'll meet the same fate.

I should note so far, so good on that front. :)

Hm, yes.

Fuchsdh

Something i'm making in Kerbal Space Program:

The Longsword is the best UNSC vehicle of any type. I didn't like space combat in Reach because why do we have to fly such a boring... thing, instead of a proper space fighter? The Broadsword in Halo 4 is better* than the Sabre but still ain't as good as the Longsword.

The thing flies surprisingly well in KSP, not counting some instability (needs more duct tape ), and it doesn't actually have enough fuel for anything.

*Perhaps i should say the mission is much funnier rather than that the Broadsword is better than the Sabre, it is, after all, almost identical, not counting shape.

EDIT might try to make the Shortsword too. Don't even have to make it space-capable to match its Haloverse functionality (it is merely an atmospheric bomber).
EDIT do note that this Longsword is made with mods (B9 Aerospace pack and another i can't recall), though making one with default parts should be possible too. Just ain't as pretty.
EDIT with some slight changes, i actually got it to space too. No weapons of course. Also, haven't tried re-entry, don't have any fuel left.

My issue with the Broadsword in Halo 4 was it felt a little unnecessary. We had fighters established that also looked less like modern fighters. I would have loved to fly a Longswords after all this time.

Also, I didn't notice the first time but they use anti-grav to lift the nuke into place on the broadsword. Reverse-engineering those grav lifts, I guess.

Woorloog

Banned
My issue with the Broadsword in Halo 4 was it felt a little unnecessary. We had fighters established that also looked less like modern fighters. I would have loved to fly a Longswords after all this time.

Also, I didn't notice the first time but they use anti-grav to lift the nuke into place on the broadsword. Reverse-engineering those grav lifts, I guess.

Yes, i get the feeling. Still like the Broadsword more for some reason. And i'm the guy who has a problem (Star Citizen) with aircraft-looking spacecraft, arguably the Sabre actually looks more like something that suits space-flight...
Of course, the Longsword would have been way too large and unmaneuverable for the Halo 4 trench run.

The grav lift felt odd to me though it is something that makes perfect sense, and is actually quite neat way of showing the UNSC is adapting the Covenant and Forerunner tech for their own use.

I reckon i will try to make Shortsword in Kerbal now. Though i'll make it spaceflight capable, not just sub-orbital bomber.
Only one question... should i place the cargo-bay upside down to allow using it like a bomber? Or do i just use it conventionally, ie only use it to lift payloads to orbit?

Oh, and a question for Frankie/343i: Can we see more Halo civilian spaceflight at some point? Not all UNSC colonies have space elevators, presumably, so they have to have other spaceplanes or rockets for lifting stuff to orbit. And what about interplanetary/stellar civilian spacecraft?

Woorloog

Banned
Does Halo 4 have any Pelican riding glitches?
I know one Spartan Ops mission does allow you to board a Pelican but merely going close finishes the mission so you can't actually do anything with the glitch. But working glitch?
Actually, are there any interesting, easy to execute campaign/co-op glitches at all in Halo 4? I know there is one where you get outside the UNSC station in The Composer but not sure if it is easy.

Woorloog

Banned
It's pretty easy and neat but gets old real fast.

Easy? Good, i guess. Thinking about stuff to do in co-op games as i don't have Live ATM. Played Halo 3 with my friend but there ain't anything left to in that game really. So, Halo 4 glitches perhaps. It is not like i have many alternatives... I really hope next-gen Elder Scrolls, if/when it comes, will have same console co-op, that way i'll never run out of stuff to do with friends...
Glitches do get old fast but at least they're something to do. Recall spending hours with some glitches in Halo 2. Seriously, games need certain amount of lack of QA, or more specifically, not everything has to be fixed (in SP/Co-op. Matchmaking MP stuff must be glitch and exploit free).

Oh and does the camera-coordinate thing work in Halo 4? And allow breaking map boundaries?

TheOddOne

Why hail me? I was only in Vikings. Although GoT does film further up north but I was already traveling a distance for the other series hah.
[Agent of Shield spoilers]
So in one of the episodes Hydra has infiltrated Shield.

Didn't even make the connection with your name, which is retrospect is now totally hilarious.

I have to say, despite some of the wonky vehicle designs I liked the concept of the Broadsword. If the UNSC has a Longsword fighter it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume they've got a Broad model.

Top Bottom