• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

wwm0nkey

I think its okay but not 5 years after a massive universal war okay. If Halo 4 was like 100+ years in the future then sure why not.

Korten

Banned
I think its okay but not 5 years after a massive universal war okay. If Halo 4 was like 100+ years in the future then sure why not.

A war which they were tricked into killing Humans just so the Prophets could stay in power. After that I doubt most (not all), Elites don't harbor much hatred.

I seriously think people underestimate how much can change in such a short time, especially on a galactic level where there are many factors to push change.

Plus considering the planet the bar is on isn't UNSC owned, the bar tender is most likely not part of the UNSC. Not like the bar is located on Earth or even a Human colony.

wwm0nkey

A war which they were tricked into killing Humans just so the Prophets could stay in power. After that I doubt most (not all), Elites don't harbor much hatred.

I seriously think people underestimate how much can change in such a short time, especially on a galactic level where there are many factors to push change.
Elites probably feel bad but I don't picture humans are too forgiving even though they knew they were tricked, I mean they destroyed planets with billions of people on it and nearly drove us to extiention.

Its just the idea of integration this early is so odd.

Edit: even if its not UNSC I still find it odd.

Korten

Banned
Elites probably feel bad but I don't picture humans are too forgiving even though they knew they were tricked, I mean they destroyed planets with billions of people on it and nearly drove us to extiention.

Its just the idea of integration this early is so odd.

Edit: even if its not UNSC I still find it odd.

Kind of depends on the worlds, the Insurrection don't have the Covenant as much since both factions hate the UNSC...

Some backwater planets never were touched by the war so it's very possible they don't feel as much. More so since many wanted to separate themselves from the UNSC and thus
compared to others didn't have as much stake in the war.

Madness

Plus considering the planet the bar is on isn't UNSC owned, the bar tender is most likely not part of the UNSC. Not like the bar is located on Earth or even a Human colony.

I seriously think you overestimate how quick things can change, especially after almost certain interstellar extinction. A 27 year war, countless colonies and planets destroyed, Reach glassed, Earth fallen, billions killed, and magically 5 years later, there is humans serving drinks to Elites in bars? It's a bit much. I mean I can buy human/elite cooperation, pacifying brutes, quelling any major problems, but I just don't buy it.

Elites have less reason than humanity to harbor hatred. Oh, but the Elites were under false pretenses. I guess the survivors of humans will accept that right. It's just seems hokey and stupid. I mean I made a joke about Mass Effect, but if you follow that story, even decades after a small conflict between first contact between humanity and turians, people are still mistrustful.

You know what made sense? How at the end of Reach, they showed that nearly 30 years after the war, they went back and started to rebuild it. What doesn't is showing that 5-6 years, how everything is hunky dory in a sense, especially for humanity, how they have almost certainly rebuilt everything. Where did they get the manpower, the materials, the sheer money, and time. Even with "forerunner/engineer" help. Whatever, it's space magic. It's like the previous trilogy never happened, let's focus on the new "ancient evil".

Madness

Don't really care about double post, but a real reason I'm excited for Destiny. I feel Bungie is good at storytelling and world building. How the people in Destiny live is what I expected humanity to be like at the end of Halo 3. Humans are alive, but are weaker than ever. Chief becomes a legend. People are trying to survive and get by, only a few cities have somewhat rebuilt. And while they start a new Spartan program modeled especially for Chief's heroics, it's nowhere close to the legendary Spartan-II and Spartan-III programs. Space travel is limited, they have restarted some colonies, the Elites help out etc. A real underdog type feeling.

Korten

Banned
I seriously think you overestimate how quick things can change, especially after almost certain interstellar extinction. A 27 year war, countless colonies and planets destroyed, Reach glassed, Earth fallen, billions killed, and magically 5 years later, there is humans serving drinks to Elites in bars? It's a bit much. I mean I can buy human/elite cooperation, pacifying brutes, quelling any major problems, but I just don't buy it.

Elites have less reason than humanity to harbor hatred. Oh, but the Elites were under false pretenses. I guess the survivors of humans will accept that right. It's just seems hokey and stupid. I mean I made a joke about Mass Effect, but if you follow that story, even decades after a small conflict between first contact between humanity and turians, people are still mistrustful.

You know what made sense? How at the end of Reach, they showed that nearly 30 years after the war, they went back and started to rebuild it. What doesn't is showing that 5-6 years, how everything is hunky dory in a sense, especially for humanity, how they have almost certainly rebuilt everything. Where did they get the manpower, the materials, the sheer money, and time. Even with "forerunner/engineer" help. Whatever, it's space magic. It's like the previous trilogy never happened, let's focus on the new "ancient evil".

Like I was saying though, most likely this Human is from either the insurrection or from a world untouched by the war. Less likely to harbor hate than someone from New Mombasa.

Also Space Magic? Really? No, sorry it's not funny and it's wrong. Humanity is not fully rebuilt but it's getting there. Is the population numbers there? Hell no. Is the Human's fleet as big as it was pre-war? No. More advanced? Yeah, they got both Covenant and Forerunner technology to work with and Humans aren't stupid they will use that and use it quick.

During WW2, when America was brought into the war, they began to produce ships faster than they were being destroyed. That was back in fucking early 1940's. This is 2558. You underestimate how fast things can be rebuilt, and yes Engineers and Forerunner help, it makes things go a lot faster because they're now allowed to do things they couldn't do before.

What do you think the UNSC has been just sitting on their asses for six years doing nothing? They have all the reason to build up as fast as possible, their enemies are down on the ground and they want to make sure they won't get jumped on again. When push comes to shove. That and they also have to worry about the rising Insurrection which basically started up as soon as the war ended.

Also stop assuming Humanity is some sort of hive minded race, that all Humans must detest the Covenant. Hell during Halo 3 when the Arbiter comes you actually hear Marines cheering for him, and just months ago they were at each others throats. Yes, not all Humans are going to change their tunes and be all happy with the Covenant species hanging around.

One last thing of note about the bar... Money. Really that's all that's need to be said, Sangheili are in disarray and they've been warming up to the idea of Human Capatalism (even said by one of the characters just a page or two later.) And when money gets involved, people can stop caring about past hatreds.

Edit: I saw your second post... Your assumption now is that Humanity was that lowered from the war... Not even in Halo 3 where Humanity that down in the dirt.

Madness

Like I was saying though, most likely this Human is from either the insurrection or from a world untouched by the war. Less likely to harbor hate than someone from New Mombasa. So my speculation is wrong compared to your speculation? You're just guessing yourself. Why would any human harbor less hate? Have you ever known anyone who was affected by genocide to be over it? Especially 5 years from it? Even in the furthest reaches of human colonies, they're going to be okay with the people that almost exterminated them, because hey, they listened to a group of people who were wrong?

Also Space Magic? Really? No, sorry it's not funny and it's wrong. Humanity is not fully rebuilt but it's getting there. Is the population numbers there? Hell no. Is the Human's fleet as big as it was pre-war? No. More advanced? Yeah, they got both Covenant and Forerunner technology to work with and Humans aren't stupid they will use that and use it quick.

It's actually very funny to me. It is space magic. It's one or more writers just saying, hey before the war ended, Infinity was already designed and funded, here it is.

During WW2, when America was brought into the war, they began to produce ships faster than they were being destroyed. That was back in fucking early 1940's. This is 2558. You underestimate how fast things can be rebuilt, and yes Engineers and Forerunner help, it makes things go a lot faster because they're now allowed to do things they couldn't do before.

Did you really just compare a fictional Halo war to World War II? Okay, for shits and giggles, was the US nearly exterminated, it's cities destroyed? Were their resources gassed/destroyed, it's population destitute? Why not compare how long it took Germany to rebuild, especially Berlin. And that required MASSIVE aid/help from other nations. Just ask yourself, if my city was destroyed tomorrow, would it be rebuilt almost good as new in 5 years?

What do you think the UNSC has been just sitting on their asses for six years doing nothing? They have all the reason to build up as fast as possible, their enemies are down on the ground and they want to make sure they won't get jumped on again. When push comes to shove. That and they also have to worry about the rising Insurrection which basically started up as soon as the war ended.

They can have all the reason in the world to build up as fast as possible. Doesn't mean their fucking fleets weren't destroyed, their military might, the population nearly exterminated. Where are they going to get the manpower, materials, especially in 5 years. In 5 years, they should barely be able to get their food and population stabilized, let alone traverse the galaxy as a superpower.

Also stop assuming Humanity is some sort of hive minded race, that all Humans must detest the Covenant. Hell during Halo 3 when the Arbiter comes you actually hear Marines cheering for him, and just months ago they were at each others throats. Yes, not all Humans are going to change their tunes and be all happy with the Covenant species hanging around.

You're doing the same thing I am, assuming and speculating. Humanity would be fucking "hiveminded", most likely most humans aren't going to change their tune, some might. I can't say, but neither can you. It's more likely that humans won't be able to forgive so easily. So because a few marines cheered for the Arbiter, changes Master Chief immediately putting a gun to his throat, or Admiral Hood saying "I remember how this war started, what your kind did to mine. I can't forgive you, but you have my thanks..."

One last thing of note about the bar... Money. Really that's all that's need to be said, Sangheili are in disarray and they've been warming up to the idea of Human Capatalism (even said by one of the characters just a page or two later.) And when money gets involved, people can stop caring about past hatreds.

Oh so, "magically" there is some form of international currency as well now? How would that work? How many Elite bucks does it take to make a human dollar?

Edit: I saw your second post... Your assumption now is that Humanity was that lowered from the war... Not even in Halo 3 where Humanity that down in the dirt.

Answered in bold. At this point, I really don't care, you believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. Have a nice day.

Madness

I... I give up. Keep your irrational hatred along with so many about post-war Halo.

Give up what? You do know people can believe different things right? Very nice to dismiss others criticism as "irrational hatred". I don't even know what you're trying to prove? I simply posted my own thoughts along with everyone else and you're the one replying to everyone trying to prove we're wrong when you're doing the same thing the rest of us are, which is guessing. Like I said, have a nice day.

Korten

Banned
Give up what? You do know people can believe different things right? Very nice to dismiss others criticism as "irrational hatred". I don't even know what you're trying to prove? I simply posted my own thoughts along with everyone else and you're the one replying to everyone trying to prove we're wrong when you're doing the same thing the rest of us are, which is guessing. Like I said, have a nice day.

Opinions are fine, you can hate the new stuff all you want. All I was I was trying to prove was the facts of the situation in the universe, but it seems like like you want to use facts and simply use opinions. (Granted some of the stuff
I said was speculation, however most wasn't.)

Madness

Opinions are fine, you can hate the new stuff all you want. All I was I was trying to prove was the facts of the situation in the universe, but it seems like like you want to use facts and simply use opinions. (Granted some of the stuff I said was speculation, however most wasn't.)

I honestly have no clue what you're even arguing about? You weren't trying to prove anything except what you believe is right, and that me and whoever else you replied to is wrong. How is any of the BS you said "facts"? Actually almost all of what you said was speculation and guesswork as well. Go back and read what you wrote.

Finally, if opinions are fine, and we can "hate the new stuff all we want", what are you so worked up about? Relax. Let's not derail and go off-topic any further. This isn't the Halo thread. This is the Halo 4 thread about the game and gameplay. Anyways, cheers.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh man the comics are just amazing. I mean amazingly stupid.

Also 6 years after a long war is nothing, especially after the elites glassed dozen of planets of humanity and comitting genocide.

Do you think 6 years after WW2 a Nazi in SS dress could just hang out in a jewish bar?

Also Palmer smh.

Also Halo 4 ugh.

Korten

Banned
I honestly have no clue what you're even arguing about? You weren't trying to prove anything except what you believe is right, and that me and whoever else you replied to is wrong. How is any of the BS you said "facts"? Actually almost all of what you said was speculation and guesswork as well. Go back and read what you wrote.

Finally, if opinions are fine, and we can "hate the new stuff all we want", what are you so worked up about? Relax. Let's not derail and go off-topic any further. This isn't the Halo thread. This is the Halo 4 thread about the game and gameplay. Anyways, cheers.

Not really, what I based off what I said was from the Halo wiki. (Like things how Earth is now in the billions again since many refugees and such came from other planets, or how there is still an number of Inner Colonies that weren't touched by the war and such. Or like how the Elites have started to use Credits, same currency as Humans.)

Also stop with the whole: "Anyways, cheers."

Also earlier this year I asked about discussing Halo lore, they said it could be done either here or in the dead Halo lore thread that hasn't been posted in (iirc in over a year.)

Oh man the comics are just amazing. I mean amazingly stupid.

Also 6 years after a long war is nothing, especially after the elites glassed dozen of planets of humanity and comitting genocide.

Do you think 6 years after WW2 a Nazi in SS dress could just hang out in a jewish bar?

Also Palmer smh.

Also Halo 4 ugh.

So the Nazi's near the end of the war betrayed their allies and joined the Allies? Guess I didn't listen in history class. Smh.

I wrote out a long explanation and realized it's not worth it. What you said is just stupid. The Sangheili in the bar are not part of the Covenant, the Covenant as it was, is no more. They aren't still sitting there thinking: "Yeah, let's wipe out Humanity."

No they're sitting there thinking about when they will get their money from their latest job or something like that, not caring that they're being given drinks by a Human. They're the same (not same reasons), as the Germans that weren't Nazi's during WW2 or better yet Nazi's who discovered how wrong they were and gave up. Cause the Elites in the bar? They aren't wearing uniforms that represent the Covenant (in fact they're wearing Storm armor which wasn't used in the war.) There is no insignia of the Covenant on their arms to show which side they fight on.

I... I give up. Keep your irrational hatred along with so many about post-war Halo.
No offence, but just because people don't like what 343's view of post war Halo is doesn't make them irrational.

Personally, I don't mind some Elites branching out into trade or whatever with humans.
I think having a drink at a bar at this stage is a bit far and kinda stupid.
"Hey human how's earth going? Oh to soon? What's that I killed your family on Reach, sorry. Here drinks on me".

Also has it been mentioned earlier if Elites even drink alcohol?

Korten

Banned
No offence, but just because people don't like what 343's view of post war Halo is doesn't make them irrational.

Personally, I don't mind some Elites branching out into trade or whatever with humans.
I think having a drink at a bar at this stage is a bit far and kinda stupid.
"Hey human how's earth going? Oh to soon? What's that I killed your family on Reach, sorry. Here drinks on me".

Also has it been mentioned earlier if Elites even drink alcohol?

Okay, irrational maybe a bit much, but honestly I feel like I'm sitting down with a history book (Halopedia), reading the facts and being told they're wrong. Feels like the only way to "fit in" is to hate anything 343.

Okay, irrational maybe a bit much, but honestly I feel like I'm sitting down with a history book (Halopedia), reading the facts and being told they're wrong. Feels like the only way to "fit in" is to hate anything 343.
Facts are of course undisputable. What 343 have made can't be argued with as it's established canon.
However it doesn't stop fans (myself included) getting frustrated because of some jumps in logic which are confusing.
Example been Elites and Humans at a bar, it's happened, it's canon. However for some of us it's a bit jarring to see and try to understand it after all that's happened.
I'm not trying to start a argument just putting it out there.

Korten

Banned
Facts are of course undisputable. What 343 have made can't be argued with as it's established canon.
However it doesn't stop fans (myself included) getting frustrated because of some jumps in logic which are confusing.
Example been Elites and Humans at a bar, it's happened, it's canon. However for some of us it's a bit jarring to see and try to understand it after all that's happened.
I'm not trying to start a argument just putting it out there.

That does in fact make sense and like I said, I'm not trying to change opinions, just clarify the facts. I mean if you're going to hate something, at least be right about the stuff you're hating on, right?

But anyway I probably should remove myself from the thread since I'm basically making myself an outcast.

daedalius

Elites and humans getting drunk together doesn't necessarily mean they are friends, or even like each other at all! They just happen to be occupying the same area without, at that time, wanting to murder one another.

Think you guys might be reading into the scene a bit much.

Mistel

Banned
6aGIdFS.png
I hope none of them are droids...

Bar fight for halo 5?

Omni

I hope none of them are droids...

Bar fight for halo 5?
And now all I'm imagining is a Mass Effect type game in the Halo universe... Now that would be awesome.

Gaaah. I'm trying to get some of these stupid achievements for Halo 4 but they aren't working. Super frustrating

Korten, you have several good points as does Madness. I can see both sides of your arguments, but at the end of the day it's clear to me that 343 is trying to finally turn Halo into Star Wars. Even though Halo has been compared to Star Wars thousands of times, it never really evolved into that because all we ever saw were secluded battles or small scale interactions, but rarely this level of interspecies interactions before. It's apparent to me that they're giving the spotlight to all types of characters in this universe instead of solely focusing on what the UNSC is doing and what battles the writers are telling from a human's perspective.

It's just a fictional universe guys. After the several retcons and stuff that doesn't make sense
(Pulse grenade knocking out the most powerful being ever known)
, should we really be arguing about something like this? I mean, Korten is right in the sense that 6 years have passed and the tech/alien assistance (Engineers) in the Halo universe is way more advanced than anything we can even dream of today. Just latch onto that if it bothers you.
Yea. Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking but I totally lost it at that myself.
hahah Get your sleep man!

I could see it now...

Sarge: "Drink up split lip!"
Arby: "You're on, human"

Than they get a hotel room.

Sarge: "This is it baby.. Hold me.."
Arby: "Were it so easy..."

jem0208

the mistake being Halo 4. shitty multiplayer with not needed "modern" elements. and an overall shitty story.

I disagree. Yes, some of the modern elements were unneeded and some actually made the game worse, I think overall the multiplayer in 4 was still really fun. I know that vanilla 4 isn't as competitive as the older Halo's nor is it as good (except maybe Reach) but it's still a fantastic game. It's one of the worst Halos, however that is still a massive endorsement for me.

Also I thought the story and the campaign were great. My only real issue is that you encounter the Infinity far too soon. I would have preferred if the Chief was trapped on his own for a bit first.

I'm ok with space cantina but why is that elite butt naked, do shangeli cocks hang or they rest inside a cloaca like with lizards. Hanging cock would make it awkward as fuck to be there.

I really hope this question gets answered in the next bulletin FAQ Frankie.

I'm an outsource agent for 343 now serving as the team's Senior Smut Creative Developer. After the smash-hit that was the Greg Twink trilogy consisting of Asslands, Promethean Nights and Prepare Your Janus, I've been tasked with writing some new novels. The first to come, tentatively dubbed Contact Hardest, focuses on the sexual exploits of Johnson and the Arbiter in an estranged love that transcends time and space. The Thursday Whore is also being developed and shooting for a November release.

belushy

Banned
I'm ok with space cantina but why is that elite butt naked, do shangeli cocks hang or they rest inside a cloaca like with lizards. Hanging cock would make it awkward as fuck to be there.

I really hope this question gets answered in the next bulletin FAQ Frankie.

Are we even sure Shageili have cocks? I mean, deviantart seems to think so, but maybe they just fertilize eggs or something.

Are we even sure Shageili have cocks? I mean, deviantart seems to think so, but maybe they just fertilize eggs or something.

Let's not go down this road.

According to an IWHBYD line in Halo 3, Elites "exchange fluids." Whether it's just crude slang or if Elites inseminate babies like fish do, the world will never know.

Danny 117

So, is Spirit of Fire discovered by the UNSC or what? Sounds pretty cool.

That would add 3 more alive Spartan-II's to the canon, right? Along with a rival scientist for Halsey- Anders.

Interesting if this is the case.

Also, was playing Halo 3 last night for the first time in a while and DAMN did I get schooled.

Didnt someone tried to fight his own halo lore to Halogaf in the previous page? Oh lol

So, is Spirit of Fire discovered by the UNSC or what? Sounds pretty cool.

That would add 3 more alive Spartan-II's to the canon, right? Along with a rival scientist for Halsey- Anders.

Interesting if this is the case.

Also, was playing Halo 3 last night for the first time in a while and DAMN did I get schooled.

Anders was more capable of forerunner lore than Halsey so it will be interesting to see her alive and see what happened in this years

Top Bottom