• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

RoKKeR

I'm getting more and more excited for Halo 5.

343's attitude towards it and all that they have said about mistakes they made with 4 (tbh I loved 4 but I could still see the problems with it) has been really encouraging. Now all these eSports players they have been adding is further adding to my confidence that they are going to seriously deliver with Halo 5. Massively looking forward to E3.

What makes you think we'll get much concrete Halo 5 news at E3?

Honest question.

Edit: Should elaborate. I'm talking about hard gameplay details outside of a release timeline, story/CGI trailer, something along those lines.

Weird question for frank, dunno if you know enough about the process - on a coding level, were any notable behaviors you guys gave to the Prometheans / Requiem sentries that were shared with the other enemy types? Obviously some stuff like pathfinding would be pretty standard across the board, but after watching that Halo 4 AI battle I can't help but feel like the Knight Battlewagons had pretty one-dimensional attack patterns compared to the Hunters. Maybe it's just because the Hunters are supposed to work in groups and the Battlewagons usually run the show, but I feel like the Hunters were a little smarter compared to the Knights mostly taking advantage of their high-level equipment in straightforward ways. I have to admit there was an interesting attack pattern at one point, though. One Knight teleported cloaked by a fuel rod explosion to avoid dying and made it look like it had just derezzed in the blast. A second Knight warped in and drew the attention of the final Hunter, which was targeting the second Knight only to be shot by an Incineration Cannon round right in the back by the original, not-quite-dead Knight.

It could be a fun way to screw with the player in the future if a certain Knight variant had similar derezz and teleport animations to provide the illusion that it took too much damage, only to reappear when the player least expected it.

m23

Great addition.

7cf3f95819a1e4cc400a4dad3e32b770.png

Who is that?

Mistel

Banned
It could be a fun way to screw with the player in the future if a certain Knight variant had similar derezz and teleport animations to provide the illusion that it took too much damage, only to reappear when the player least expected it.
You thought you'd killed me, I'm not dead and I'm now going to murder you?

RoKKeR

You're name is familiar. Have you ever been the victim of a Halo donging?

Sounds frightening...

Honestly not sure! Don't spend a ton of time on HaloGAF but I was very active on Bungie.net back in the Halo 3/ODST/Reach days, so maybe from there? Was big on screenshots, a few large groups, BFaves, damn, good times...

That Knight video earlier made me want to revisit my idea of Knight revisions, so in a haste I scribbled up some fanwank. Rather than bog you down with walls of post-text, I just put it right on the image. I've got plans for Crawlers and Watchers, too! Keep in mind that in these scenarios, the Covenant are usually the "padding" of the fight, while Knights are a little buffed AI-wise and generally only exist one-at-a-time.

iBUMday46l93i.png

ibxPxekUr0mO9U.png

i8foBrzCPvnRp.png

igqiC48xZSblu.png

iCM0bJY2bMlpB.png

iljGKR4gYXuVX.png

Korten

Banned
As I keep devouring post-war Halo content, I can't help but feel exciting and also how weird it must be for everyone on both sides to be living in a post-Human-Covenant War galaxy.

Think about it, in the latest Halo: Escalation comic, you have 3 Humans visiting a Sangheili controlled world, to go to a bar and meet with a contact. Said bar is being served by a Human bartender to Sangheili customers.

No doubt one of the characters must be thinking: "If this was 6 years ago, this planet would be burning and all of us shooting at each other."

That must in a way feel really awkward considering it's only been six years, and the war had lasted twenty-seven years. Where one side nearly brought the other to extiction, yet now the two sides are willing to barter and trade and like one character said in the latest issue: "Like myself, 'Gajat has seen the promise of Human capitalism and has taken to working for whoever pays the best."

Such behavior in a Sangheili would be so foreign before and during the war, yet in only six years that has all changed.

What is your guys thought on this?

No doubt one of the characters must be thinking: "If this was 6 years ago, this planet would be burning and all of us shooting at each other."

That must in a way feel really awkward considering it's only been six years, and the war had lasted twenty-seven years. Where one side nearly brought the other to extiction, yet now the two sides are willing to barter and trade and like one character said in the latest issue: "Like myself, 'Gajat has seen the promise of Human capitalism and has taken to working for whoever pays the best."

Such behavior in a Sangheili would be so foreign before and during the war, yet in only six years that has all changed.
Near extinction yet still have the upper hand in the known galaxy, wat.

Sangheili branching out from the warrior norm is interesting but.

Korten

Banned
Near extinction yet still have the upper hand in the known galaxy, wat.

Sangheili branching out from the warrior norm is interesting but.

Well in the case of Humanity post-war, it's understandable that they're now the big guys. The Covenant races are scattered and alliances have broken down, whereas the UNSC is still mostly together and with the access of new treasure troves of Forerunner technology allowed them to build up faster than ever before. Whereas the Covenant had to reverse-engineer Forerunner technology to get it to work, Humanity can skip that step and work with the Forerunner technology without needing to actually understand it. Plus, Engineers.

Also Humanity would have no doubt been wiped out if not for the Sangheili joining Humanity in the final months of the war. Well also probably the entire galaxy would be flood food by then. XD

Well in the case of Humanity post-war, it's understandable that they're now the big guys. The Covenant races are scattered and alliances have broken down, whereas the UNSC is still mostly together and with the access of new treasure troves of Forerunner technology allowed them to build up faster than ever before. Whereas the Covenant had to reverse-engineer Forerunner technology to get it to work, Humanity can skip that step and work with the Forerunner technology without needing to actually understand it. Plus, Engineers.

Also Humanity would have no doubt been wiped out if not for the Sangheili joining Humanity in the final months of the war. Well also probably the entire galaxy would be flood food by then. XD
I've discussed this a fair bit, I think we did a few weeks back in this thread. Kinda can't be bothered going into the details but a lot of post war human/elite stuff doesn't make sense and seems tailored conveniently to the future stories with out much respect to the past ones.

Has the spirit of fire been mentioned yet? I heard it may be in a upcoming comic

Korten

Banned
I've discussed this a fair bit, I think we did a few weeks back in this thread. Kinda can't be bothered going into the details but a lot of post war human/elite stuff doesn't make sense and seems tailored conveniently to the future stories with out much respect to the past ones.

Has the spirit of fire been mentioned yet? I heard it may be in a upcoming comic

When it comes to the Human/Elite stuff of the post-war in many ways it does make sense. The Sangheili didn't hate Humanity, in fact they respected Humanity well before they joined sides, they wanted Humanity to join the Covenant, however since it was not the will of the Prophets, it wasn't going to happen. Their respect not getting in the way of their duties.

Note just because they're no longer enemies, doesn't mean that suddenly all Sangheili like Humanity, as the Sangheili aren't a planet of hats, like some believe. If they had joined Humanity and were instant buddies it would have been really out of place. The alliance during the war was out of respect but was more so because now they both faced a common enemy, and the enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

The SoF hasn't made a physical apperance but is important to the events of issues 4 - 6.

Since Escalation is sort of working on a whole, new arc (that relates back to the previous one), for each 3 issues.

When it comes to the Human/Elite stuff of the post-war in many ways it does make sense. The Sangheili didn't hate Humanity, in fact they respected Humanity well before they joined sides, they wanted Humanity to join the Covenant, however since it was not the will of the Prophets, it wasn't going to happen. Their respect not getting in the way of their duties.

The SoF hasn't made a physical apperance but is important to the events of issues 4 - 6.

Since Escalation is sort of working on a whole, new arc (that relates back to the previous one), for each 3 issues.
I'm all cool with that, it's because humans are trying to break the peace that annoys me (ONI plotting against the Elites).
The other half been that humans after the war have easily gone deep into elite held space and made them their bitch.*

*yeah I've heard the "without the prophets elites are dumb" stuff but theres plenty that shows elites should have the equal if not upper hand post war.

Can't wait to see what happens when the SoF comes back into the picture. Anders will probably testify in a future Halsey trial.

Wouldn't the AI (Serina?) on the SoF be pretty rampant by now

Omni

I've started playing CEA again... Man this game is pretty. The art style is amazing. I hope they keep with it in H2A. I can just imagine it now

When is E3 again?!

Edit. Completely forgot that this was the H4 OT. My bad

Nebula

Oh no now thus thread is going to be locked!

Not touched Halo 4 in a few weeks now which you can probably tell from my lack of posting. No desire to play it at all. Lost all motivation when it comes to playing it.

Omni

Oh no now thus thread is going to be locked!

Not touched Halo 4 in a few weeks now which you can probably tell from my lack of posting. No desire to play it at all. Lost all motivation when it comes to playing it.
;)

I've kinda lost interest too. I don't think I've played since we boosted those achievements... though I guess it was only a week or so ago. Just nothing terribly exciting happening to make me want to play. Every match just plays out the same after a while *shrugs*

jem0208

What makes you think we'll get much concrete Halo 5 news at E3?

Honest question.

Edit: Should elaborate. I'm talking about hard gameplay details outside of a release timeline, story/CGI trailer, something along those lines.

Tbh, I don't expect to get hard gameplay details. I'm just excited for any kind of info they give us. I'm personally more into the campaign than multiplayer (I do love the multiplayer though) so I would love to see a trailer which gives us a bit more insight into what's going to happen in Halo 5. The first teaser they showed which was a bit... weird and didn't really tell us much.

I really don't see al the hate on Halo 4 MP. Just renewed my gold specifically to play Halo, because there's hardly any other game like that out there (mostly a PC gamer here). Sometimes I do feel that something's a bit off, that it doesn't really feel like the Halo 3 goodness I'm used to, but then I jump in a warthog with a random stranger on the cannon, we drive around the level, kill some dudes and I'm having a great time again. It's not the most perfect Halo, but close enough for me.

(PS. and before people start to say "that's probably because you suck": yes I do. But I don't really care as long as I'm having fun)

I really don't see al the hate on Halo 4 MP. Just renewed my gold specifically to play Halo, because there's hardly any other game like that out there (mostly a PC gamer here). Sometimes I do feel that something's a bit off, that it doesn't really feel like the Halo 3 goodness I'm used to, but then I jump in a warthog with a random stranger on the cannon, we drive around the level, kill some dudes and I'm having a great time again. It's not the most perfect Halo, but close enough for me.

(PS. and before people start to say "that's probably because you suck": yes I do. But I don't really care as long as I'm having fun)

I like you, welcome

but then I jump in a warthog with a random stranger on the cannon, we drive around the level, kill some dudes and I'm having a great time again.

That's right man, you live it and enjoy it! May peace and prosperity come to all those who love the Warthog B]

Welcome!

My personal opinion is that Halo 4 doesn't need to be universally hated by everyone, everywhere, and have a total population of 0 in order to get the message to 343 that people didn't enjoy it. They got the message. So if you enjoy Halo 4, good on ya, as long as you're having fun, fucking play what you want to.

What is this warthog BJ you speak of? Is that in the game?

You need to unlock the Happy Ending Survivor perk. If your Hog explodes, you'll burst with white confetti (think Grunt Birthday Party) as your Spartan awkwardly shakes his legs and clamps his toes, letting out a sigh of satisfaction.

Because it screws up the overall pace of the game, and ruins the point of map control. It feels nice, but in terms of staying true to an arena shooter, a faster overall movement speed would be preferred. :)

It also forces people to choose movement over gunplay, and as a result it ends up causing bumrushing into melees and fleeing from firefights rather than running and gunning.

Top Bottom