• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Korten

Banned
I'm all cool with that, it's because humans are trying to break the peace that annoys me (ONI plotting against the Elites).
The other half been that humans after the war have easily gone deep into elite held space and made them their bitch.*

*yeah I've heard the "without the prophets elites are dumb" stuff but theres plenty that shows elites should have the equal if not upper hand post war.

Can't wait to see what happens when the SoF comes back into the picture. Anders will probably testify in a future Halsey trial.

Wouldn't the AI (Serina?) on the SoF be pretty rampant by now

Well to be fair, while ONI has tried to mess up the Elites, based on the first 3 issues of Escalation, the UNSC is trying to make peace between the Elites and Brutes, so there must be some alliance or at the very least a deal with the Elites.

Also I wouldn't say Elites are dumb without the Prophets, its more that some of the stuff (like farming and ship matience) they always had they took for granted. No doubt though by the time 2557 rolls around I doubt the Elites are having as many issues.

In terms of Anders... In a way she is a bit of a hipster, she was actually on the Halsey hate train from even before ONI jumped on Halsey.

From the wiki: " She has on several occasions expressed dislike, if not active hatred, for Halsey. In the Halo Wars booklet, Anders has made a personal note under her own description: "Why mention Halsey here? She hated me and I hated her.""

Though that was over twenty-years ago so maybe her tune has changed.

As for Serina... She surely would be rampant by now, it will be interesting to see what goes on with that.

Maybe fast kill times would resolve this? I am tired of seeing "grenade, shoot to the head" combo
It would at least help.
whoops, i meant map flow/design
You probably could've provided a better case for map control because people can sprint to/away from danger, but as far as map design I disagree. Sure Bungie/343 mentioned how they had to accommodate for sprint on the maps, but in reality how much larger are the maps in Halo 4 compared to previous games? There have been larger maps for all gametypes (2v2, 4v4, 8v8) in the past, so why do people accept this so quickly without considering it themselves? Is it just because it came straight from the developer?

Murder Miners is a great example of having sprint and dashing/evading working well on smaller maps. Haven is not significantly larger or wider than previous 4v4 maps, for example. I mean, just about every Halo CE/PC BTB map feels/is larger than most H4 maps and I'm sure if implemented properly (faster kill times, more skill-based weapons, less sluggish/janky animations, etc.) people would complain less about sprint.

Trust me, I'm all for upping the base player speed and removing sprint, but I don't necessarily agree with the notion that maps have to be changed in order to accommodate for something as little as sprint. Sprint in Halo shouldn't be an issue by now, but because Halo has slower kill times, still has those janky animations where you get stuck transitioning to/from sprint and some would argue it takes too long to begin shooting, it's a bigger issue than it should be.

At this point, if they remove sprint but don't up the movement speed, then there will be some backlash from players. However, if they keep sprint but make the transition animations smoother and faster, then less people would have a problem with it. Let's not forget how many people were begging for sprint before Halo 3 released, so when we finally received it in Reach everyone was all "Why the shit would Bungie make base movement speed THIS slow? Sprint is way too OP now.." And what happened as a result? It changed the player's perception of sprint in Halo and now people think it should be scrapped based on a failed implementation from the beginning. Now we see people arguing over sprint for Halo 5 when it could've worked all along IMO.

One of the reasons I'm not immediately opposed to sprint is because of the many times I'd be left thinking to myself, "Well damn, now I have to chug along the entire map to get back to where I was because there are no vehicles at my base since Nebula is wasting them all by trying to splatter people.."

----------

How do I end up typing more than I usually intend to? lol My drive/energy to discuss this game never dies, even as I'm at work trying to make this world a better place..
dat Halo itch is real!

You probably could've provided a better case for map control because people can sprint to/away from danger, but as far as map design I disagree. Sure Bungie/343 mentioned how they had to accommodate for sprint on the maps, but in reality how much larger are the maps in Halo 4 compared to previous games? There have been larger maps for all gametypes (2v2, 4v4, 8v8) in the past, so why do people accept this so quickly without considering it themselves? Is it just because it came straight from the developer?

Murder Miners is a great example of having sprint and dashing/evading working well on smaller maps. Haven is not significantly larger or wider than previous 4v4 maps, for example. I mean, just about every Halo CE/PC BTB map feels/is larger than most H4 maps and I'm sure if implemented properly (faster kill times, more skill-based weapons, less sluggish/janky animations, etc.) people would complain less about sprint.

Trust me, I'm all for upping the base player speed and removing sprint, but I don't necessarily agree with the notion that maps have to be changed in order to accommodate for something as little as sprint. Sprint in Halo shouldn't be an issue by now, but because Halo has slower kill times, still has those janky animations where you get stuck transitioning to/from sprint and some would argue it takes too long to begin shooting, it's a bigger issue than it should be.

At this point, if they remove sprint but don't up the movement speed, then there will be some backlash from players. However, if they keep sprint but make the transition animations smoother and faster, then less people would have a problem with it. Let's not forget how many people were begging for sprint before Halo 3 released, so when we finally received it in Reach everyone was all "Why the shit would Bungie make base movement speed THIS slow? Sprint is way too OP now.." And what happened as a result? It changed the player's perception of sprint in Halo and now people think it should be scrapped based on a failed implementation from the beginning. Now we see people arguing over sprint for Halo 5 when it could've worked all along IMO.

One of the reasons I'm not immediately opposed to sprint is because of the many times I'd be left thinking to myself, "Well damn, now I have to chug along the entire map to get back to where I was because there are no vehicles at my base since Nebula is wasting them all by trying to splatter people.."

----------

How do I end up typing more than I usually intend to? lol My drive/energy to discuss this game never dies, even as I'm at work trying to make this world a better place..
dat Halo itch is real!

None of the maps in Halo 4 is suitable for sprinting, no offense but they keep doing the same kindergarden ramp maps and sprints destroy the sandbox pretty easily, There is always a mole house or control point that destroy the entire map flow.

This is where sprint impacts negatively to the game, people rushing to that area or trying to take them out. battefield fix that by adding different entering areas for both sides giving you a clew vies or what is happening in your surroundings, Other FPS have faster kill times or specific weapons to take them out like the grande launcher in Halo Reach that dont require a power weapon or make the enviroment change to not let them take that area like destructible houses or send them a shockwave.

Vehicles gets destroyed or have little space to move in most of the maps, a sprinting guys is more menacing than a wraith because he can move in those little corridors and destroy a tank with plasma grenade.

The entire sandbox have to be reworked and tested with players that dont use the same weapons and play safe to win.

Vehicles gets destroyed or have little space to move in most of the maps, a sprinting guys is more menacing than a wraith because he can move in those little corridors and destroy a tank with plasma grenade.

Is this a problem with sprint or a general problem with gameplay design? Players should not be spawning with Plasma 'nades and Plasma Pistols. Sprint is just caught in the crossfire because the surrounding elements are problematic, like sluggish walking speed in Reach where it may feel limiting to not use sprint.

Mix

Because it screws up the overall pace of the game, and ruins the point of map control. It feels nice, but in terms of staying true to an arena shooter, a faster overall movement speed would be preferred. :)

I <3 you bby
But yes, Sprint ruins halo at it's core. the maps in Halo have always worked super well, even the maps that weren't preferred worked better than most maps in Halo 4 and some in Reach. Sprint is really a system that should be saved for those of ads and other standard shooter games, Halo was never supposed to be a standard shooter.

Is this a problem with sprint or a general problem with gameplay design? Players should not be spawning with Plasma 'nades and Plasma Pistols. Sprint is just caught in the crossfire because the surrounding elements are problematic, like sluggish walking speed in Reach where it may feel limiting to not use sprint.

General gameplay design is outdated or 343i designers didnt think about how much campaign weapons can do with the old halo gameplay, vehicles are the ones who you can instant notice, All vehicles have zero defense to anything, anything can destroy a vehicle even you can destroy vehicles with melee ( I destroyed incoming warhogs with the flag) which is bad even worse your shields are linked with the vehicle health itself so you can die if something hits the vehicle.

Plasma grenade and plasma pistol were an horrible mistake to put them in multiplayer without any modification. They could have lowered the plasma grenade damage to vehicles or adding a completely independent vehicle armor stats to reflect damage in front and the sides of the vehicles but vulnerable to the back so you can drive completely aware of the vehicle own stamina. The plasma pistol NEEDED its stun ability removed yet none of both weapons have a modification in Halo 4 patches.

Weapons tune up is always welcome if you actually make the new weapons viable but the problem is everyone was using the DMR or the Carabine and doing the same old tactics so you cant really notice what weapon really need a rework. I am still waiting for real boltshock nerf.

The same happens to campaign, lack of original and exclusive campaign weapons.

Sorry for my english in advance.

Tzeentch

Well to be fair, while ONI has tried to mess up the Elites, based on the first 3 issues of Escalation, the UNSC is trying to make peace between the Elites and Brutes, so there must be some alliance or at the very least a deal with the Elites.
ONI was doing their dirty tricks against the Elites completely off the books, under the direct control of CINCONI. It appeared to be common knowledge among the general staff what was going on, but everyone is playing dumb about it -- including Admiral Hood (a bit of character assassination IMO, but it is what it is).

So, on the one hand you have the ONI leadership working to outright exterminate the Elites, and on the other hand you have diplomatic initiatives by the UEG proper. Even the friendly Elites realize their precarious position vis a vis the human empire, and are reconstructing their technical infrastructure at a very impressive pace (even in the Kilo-V novels, which otherwise has a less than sympathetic viewpoint on the Sangheili).

The Brute situation is a bit unusual, as I'm not sure how they are maintaining the fleets they found themselves in charge of during the Schism. Depending on the source you get a pretty wide range of (IMO) incompatible perspectives as to what their current interstellar civilization looks like.
Also I wouldn't say Elites are dumb without the Prophets, its more that some of the stuff (like farming and ship matience) they always had they took for granted. No doubt though by the time 2557 rolls around I doubt the Elites are having as many issues.
The Kilo-V novels seemed to flatly ignore some canon aspects (such as the description of the Assembly map). But I don't see anything at all unrealistic about the Elites being in a bit of a pickle once the Prophets packed up for parts unknown and took the entire logistic system of the Covenant offline.

The Engineers and their (de)evolution into a whole race of Mr Fixits ... well ...
In terms of Anders... In a way she is a bit of a hipster, she was actually on the Halsey hate train from even before ONI jumped on Halsey.
Does Halsey mention her, or even reference her, ever? Halsey wasn't exactly Ms. Charming, and I'm sure there are lots of one-sided hatreds where people got burned by her, but Halsey has zero idea who they even are.
As for Serina... She surely would be rampant by now, it will be interesting to see what goes on with that.
Hoping they go all-in on that. But she could have been shutdown or in low-utilization mode during the intervening period. However, I would like to see a full-on rampant AI for once.

Chettlar

Banned
No I didn't, sorry.

original.0

Just saying, I would LOVE to see the SoF crew in the next Halo game. Then imagine a Halo Wars 2 next year where MC is part of the game in some way?

Come on Halo, you can do it! Connect the pieces and spoil the fans. Give us The Arbiter too!

Korten

Banned
Does Halsey mention her, or even reference her, ever? Halsey wasn't exactly Ms. Charming, and I'm sure there are lots of one-sided hatreds where people got burned by her, but Halsey has zero idea who they even are.

Halsey never mentions Anders but in the Halo Wars comic that was a sort of prologue to the various characters, had the quote I took from the wiki in it. Imply that Anders and Halsey have on various occasions interacted with each other.

Halsey never mentions Anders but in the Halo Wars comic that was a sort of prologue to the various characters, had the quote I took from the wiki in it. Imply that Anders and Halsey have on various occasions interacted with each other.

Halsey mentions Anders in her diary wishing she could be with her in Reach to decipher the forerunner codex data.

Fuchsdh

Though it's possibly of questionable canon, "Anders" also writes snarky comments in the Halo Wars strategy guide, including reacting to a mention of Halsey in her file.

I don't think it's that unexpected that two brilliant scientists would step on each other's toes and really grate on each other. I'm certain that the child-kidnapping probably didn't register on the level of why other Spartan-II scientists hated Halsey--they might have simply been pissed she took all the credit.

From the wiki: " She has on several occasions expressed dislike, if not active hatred, for Halsey. In the Halo Wars booklet, Anders has made a personal note under her own description: "Why mention Halsey here? She hated me and I hated her.""

Though that was over twenty-years ago so maybe her tune has changed.

I have the halo wars art book, it's actually really cool (maybe a tad short).
Just going by memory I think Halsey actually had Anders kidnapped at one point (hence why I mentioned a future trial). Twenty years has past but ONI would dig up graves to bury Halsey.

Hopefully something cool. A rampant Serina mistakes the infinity and it's forerunner tech as the same machines that attacked them on the shield world.

Why don't people like default sprint?

Because it means maps have to be designed to account for the fact people have the ability to move across them really quickly, rather than what is interesting to fight around at normal movement speed. This isn't really an issue for big team as much as it is for the core arena type maps.

Additionally, in a game like Halo where the kill times are pretty long, it can be used to avoid or escape encounters that would otherwise have been decisive.

My thoughts anyway, I'm sure there are hundreds of treatises on the subject in HaloGAF alone.

Funk get to work on a Halo list like some guys did with gears

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cusmwa8x1rzew2/GearsofWarNext-GenWishlist.pdf

; )

This is phenomenal and just like what I was going to do for my
Combat Evolved 2
thread I plan on making in the future, but I'm not getting paid for it so other things have taken priority. I should just stop putting it off and focus all the ideas I have recorded just to bang it out.

Waiting for the right time though, if it ever happens. It's all about the execution/delivery.

Funk get to work on a Halo list like some guys did with gears

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cusmwa8x1rzew2/GearsofWarNext-GenWishlist.pdf

; )

Is that one that terrible initiative that some Gears "fans" have of making Gears into a Last of Us clone?

I scrolled through pretty quickly and saw something about the campaign centering on the stranded and having to forage around and craft items and cannot help but shake my head.

What a terrible, terrible idea. That's not Gears of War.

Is that one that terrible initiative that some Gears "fans" have of making Gears into a Last of Us clone?

I scrolled through pretty quickly and saw something about the campaign centering on the stranded and having to forage around and craft items and cannot help but shake my head.

What a terrible, terrible idea. That's not Gears of War.

Ideas may not be great but the effort is nuts.

Fuchsdh

Initiation ish 5 is interesting. We get a lot more on Hood's backstory, as well as the explanation for why nobody knew where the hell Spirit of Fire went off to.

Also, this.

6aGIdFS.png

Initiation ish 5 is interesting. We get a lot more on Hood's backstory, as well as the explanation for why nobody knew where the hell Spirit of Fire went off to.

Also, this.

http://i.imgur.com/6aGIdFS.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Reminds me of that concept art we got to see, I thought it looked real bar/mixed world like. Forgive the large pic but down the bottom has the bars neon signs I'm talking about.

[img]http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Halo-5-Concept-Art_01-09.jpg

Also, this.

6aGIdFS.png
That's it, I'm officially ignoring all halo story content outside of the games. I might even selectively ignore some in-game material.

FyreWulff

Also, this.

6aGIdFS.png

Pictured: the rest of the defense team after the banshee spawns on Invasion: Spire

I'm getting more and more excited for Halo 5.

343's attitude towards it and all that they have said about mistakes they made with 4 (tbh I loved 4 but I could still see the problems with it) has been really encouraging. Now all these eSports players they have been adding is further adding to my confidence that they are going to seriously deliver with Halo 5. Massively looking forward to E3.

the mistake being Halo 4. shitty multiplayer with not needed "modern" elements. and an overall shitty story.

DOUBLE POST MOTHAFUCKAS NO SHAME

6aGIdFS.png

I think the part that pisses me off about this the most is the completely human architecture of the bar. Why not push the envelope a little and show us what a truly alien, Sangheili or Covenant bar would look like?

Also, after my Knight revision post yesterday, I did the same for Crawlers.

Knight Restructuring

iDqVwSMOhnNuT.png

iHSvZc1tbICme.png

ibz5J6YqRl8HBu.png

ibh5ejumo0YMtF.png

ibu9SE8DuFRDuo.png

Madness

That's it, I'm officially ignoring all halo story content outside of the games. I might even selectively ignore some in-game material.

Same. One-eyed human bartenders pouring Sangheili/Elites drinks in a bar? Never thought I'd see that. Might as well create an interstellar space station, call it, I don't know, the "Citadel" for kicks, have ONI decide that the ascendance of humans and their supremacy is guaranteed etc.

Same. One-eyed human bartenders pouring Sangheili/Elites drinks in a bar? Never thought I'd see that. Might as well create an interstellar space station, call it, I don't know, the "Citadel" for kicks, have ONI decide that the ascendance of humans and their supremacy is guaranteed etc.

isnt that what ONI is doing in the EU. "Destablize the Elites" whereas the UNSC wants to ally themselves with them.

Hahaha. Yeah, that bar is a real piece of shit, but I found this page funny, at least.

Wait, wait. I get it's simulated combat, but did Palmer really disable communications with their AI just because she didn't want to listen to him talk? How do we know she hasn't pulled this shit in real scenarios?

The more and more they write her like this, the more I feel like 343 is building her up to deconstruct the memetic badass trope. She starts out as a Johnson wannabe, when in reality ONI's kept her on the front lines because she'll do what she's told and doesn't realize she's being manipulated. Shady history of disabling AI communications that gets squadmates killed were really calculated acts by ONI's higher-ups getting rid of whistleblowers. Getting permission on airstrikes to torch valuable data mines that would have exposed acts of human treachery to keep the Osman's ass safe. Stuff like that.

Spartan Assault? Propaganda.

Korten

Banned

Guys do realize the war is over right..? By the time the comic takes place it's been 6 years. You'd be surprised how fast things can change in just that time.

Top Bottom