• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I'd prefer if Smartlink wasn't in the game, but it is hardly OP, remember it takes up a valuable ability slot and only helps a few weapons. Enhanced Vision is a very strong tech, but it is only OP if your team isn't coordinated and not calling out, or if you aren't running Smoke. Also Smoke is a very good ability that isn't just good because it counters EV and Smartlink, it makes you immune to damage, gives you a valuable 3rd person perspective, and can even serve as a speed boost for Dwarf and Troll.

The hardest of hard counters to EV, is to run Smoke and EV, but don't actually ping your EV, when another player pings their EV, they show up on your screen without having to use yours. Having Smoke mapped masks your presence on their EV, so they are essentially revealing themselves to you for free and without their knowledge. Most EV players have blinders on too, so you can easily get behind them and shit all over em.

The brilliance of Shadowrun.
I'm am glad that Microsoft's flagship title will finally be running well , but it still remains to be seen if 343 can make a great Halo game. If they pull it off and it's everything I want out of a Halo game, then it might be a system seller. Chances are low though.

Send me message if you start playing, I can teach you a lot of the game systems and show you some of the subtle nuance that most people miss.

I'm sure it's cheap as hell now but I'm more talking researching game mechanics themselves. Reason being my new project is a Halo spiritiual successor but it utilizes "classes" while still allowing everyone to spawn with the same stats, save for the shield:health ratio - everyone has 400 points that are divided between the two depending on their element. It looks like Crackdown hits a lot of the same notes, so I'll check it out to see if there are any obvious lessons to be learned.

I don't want to go into too much detail since this is Halo and not Hola, though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it is officially summer! just submitted grades, got signed-out, gave back keys. its halo time!!!

being a teacher is the greatest.

There will be discounts like steam, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, won't happen overnight, but as used games and games sold at retail decreases compared to digitial sales, digital distribution becomes more efficient and cheaper allowing for better deals to the consumer.

It's already improved on the 360, the last year has had way better sales on digital games and most of the older titles are priced pretty cheap now. Still a work in progress of course.

Yeah but I still think the overheat mechanic is a good addition

This. "Accessible" countermeasures suck for personal firearms, but when you're in what essentially amounts to a powerup platform that more than one teammate can ride on and has personal health as opposed to a countdown like infantry powerups, you want to slap as much accessibility on it as you can. Nobody liked spawning in Sandtrap's open vistas and getting immediately mowed down by two or three hogs full of enemies.

Last bulletin said:
Mini Slayer is a brand new game type that will be added to Action Sack. This mode has only been played by 343 staff and some lucky studio visitors, and we are excited to premiere it this coming Monday. The Spartans are scaled smaller than normal, but the weapons are normal size, creating fun, hectic, and often hilarious game play.

Yeah, mods did that like 3 months ago. Nice to see them adding new stuff to AS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=segi8IcFec0

First thing I will do when the modders release the gametype editor is making Infection where flood is very small, quick, easy to kill and have that fancy explosion when you kill them. Can't wait to see what people came up with.

daedalius

Yeah, mods did that like 3 months ago. Nice to see them adding new stuff to AS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=segi8IcFec0

First thing I will do when the modders release the gametype editor is making Infection where flood is very small, quick, easy to kill and have that fancy explosion when you kill them. Can't wait to see what people came up with.

Played some custom game with a few people where the models were even smaller, it was much more ridiculous.

Computer

Booshka, I didn't ask but 60fps and Dedicated servers for Next Gen Halo. You pumped?

I was pretty shocked at the announcement. Pretty excited to see what it looks like too.

I would take Halo 3 with 60 fsp, updated graphics, and dedicated servers.

terrific author. is this online? link?

It's on youtube. It's a presentation of his at the Royal Institution from earlier this year. "The Particle at the End of the Universe".

Reflective view on last year's Higgs discovery, the LHC personnel, the current standard model, inner-workings of the LHC, history of particle physics, etc.

Actually has a fair bit of humor, and even though I knew most of the content already, it's highly engaging. I'm watching it on my phone (pre-loaded) or I'd link you.

EDIT: Reading/listening to him and Clifford Pickover have become some of my favorite activities.

Akai__

Does anyone want to play the game, which is named Halo 4? I heared it can be pretty fun, if you have some people to play with.

Karl2177

I know. However in this case I'm right. MLG was better for Halo than Virgin Gaming.

One company threw several tournament events with high prize money. One company threw one online tournament and gave away one 50k truck. Meanwhile another company threw a million dollar tournament for their game.

MLG had one playlist with quite a bit of updates throughout its life. Virgin Gaming put its little logo on previous playlists and kept switching and changing the natural order of the playlists.

Of course I'm not saying no longer dealing with MLG is the reason for Halo 4s low population, however it IS a factor in it. I'm sure you learned alot in your psych 101 class during your computer science studies?

Virgin wasn't good. MLG wasn't good. Throwdown is okay. The Throwdown process needs to be refined before the next game launches in order or else it will fail. An interesting thing I read in the Xbone hubbub was that most games are sold within 4-6 weeks of launch. If a game doesn't interest the player in that time, then they are more likely to sell it back. I'd be willing to bet that if a competitive fan doesn't have a home in the first 4 weeks, then they will probably sell the game back.

I wouldn't say it's MLG or Virgin specifically that caused the decrease, but more so the lack of a truly competitive playlist.

EDIT: I'm talking about retaining the competitive population, not overall population. That was definitely caused by BO2's release.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Shit... what age?

...also, that Xbone/military thread lol

8-12th grade. what was particularly tough this year (in addition to a new baby) was that i have have never taught 4 of those classes AND the natural resources class doesnt even have a textbook/curriculum. also, my background is in biology.

twas a bitch of a year.

It's on youtube. It's a presentation of his at the Royal Institution from earlier this year. "The Particle at the End of the Universe".

Reflective view on last year's Higgs discovery, the LHC personnel, the current standard model, inner-workings of the LHC, history of particle physics, etc.

Actually has a fair bit of humor, and even though I knew most of the content already, it's highly engaging. I'm watching it on my phone (pre-loaded) or I'd link you.

EDIT: Reading/listening to him and Clifford Pickover have become some of my favorite activities.

i'll have to check it out. if it is sean b. carroll you are referring to, i'm only aware of his evolutionary biology stuff ("making of the fittest", "remarkable creatures"). i definitely do not have a physics background but would like to delve a bit deeper then the HS texts i have access to.

There will be discounts like steam, I'm sure of it.
Steam has to compete with other digital distribution outlets such as Amazon, GMG, GOG, and even Origin and Uplay, all of which offer deals. If the only place to get digital Xbox One games is XBL Marketplace, and a precedent has already been set for new AAA games costing $60, what incentive do they have to offer a similar number of deals regularly?

I just preordered Batman Arkham Origins on GMG yesterday for $37.50, that's almost half the price of the same game on consoles. I'm a skeptic, so do you honestly believe we'll ever get to that point where I'll be able to get digital games day 1 for competitive prices?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dear CC's, please remove Settler, thanks.

noted

Steam has to compete with other digital distribution outlets such as Amazon, GMG, GOG, and even Origin and Uplay, all of which offer deals. If the only place to get digital Xbox One games is XBL Marketplace, and a precedent has already been set for video games costing $60, what incentive do they have to offer a similar number of deals regularly?

I just preordered Batman Arkham Origins on GMG yesterday for $37.50, that's almost half the price of the same game on consoles. I'm a skeptic, so do you honestly believe we'll ever get to that point where I'll be able to get digital games day 1 for competitive prices?

Day 1? Doubt it. Discounts a couple months down the line, yes. Publishers can now make money aside from launch window. A huge sale can bring in more revenue when there wouldn't be much at all otherwise for consoles.

Karl2177

Can anyone get on and do a quick match on Intercession? I updated it a little bit and just want to see if the changes are any good.

Ramirez

To further elaborate, the ridge just makes it unplayable against a good team. Maybe make the middle tunnel have top cover, and add more rocks and stuff to traverse the bottom area. As it is now though, you spawn down low and get butt fucked by DMRs up top.

FyreWulff

Ugh yea thats wrong, MLG updated Halo and their versions at least 6 times in Halo 3 and Reach. Edited maps, tournaments with prize money.

And after their tournaments were over, they prevented their own community from updating their maps. Maps from the same authors that had maps already in the circuit. Maps that would be vetted by their community and pros.

At least the Grifball playlist got monthly community content updates.

I should note Virgin didn't do much good either, but it was all business. One company paid for their presence in the game, the other would have cost Microsoft money. As a publically traded company beholden to shareholders, that's an automatic choice.

Mini Slayer is a brand new game type that will be added to Action Sack. This mode has only been played by 343 staff and some lucky studio visitors, and we are excited to premiere it this coming Monday.

and everyone else that's downloaded the modded gametype

i'll have to check it out. if it is sean b. carroll you are referring to, i'm only aware of his evolutionary biology stuff ("making of the fittest", "remarkable creatures"). i definitely do not have a physics background but would like to delve a bit deeper then the HS texts i have access to.

No, different Sean Carroll. Physicist from CalTech. The talk is quite accessible even if you're not very acclimated to current particle physics (I have to be for my job). Having a science/math background of some kind should be enough, I would think, so you should be alright. I'm home now, so here's the link if you're still interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwdY7Eqyguo

In other news, I'll be on later tonight. Is anyone else down? Might stream too, we'll see.

I went to school with a sean carrol. He ate prit stick and colored his hands in. Once he fell over into dog poo.

I don't think its the guy any of you are talking about.

seancarroll.jpg

Stalker pls.

I went to school with a sean carrol. He ate prit stick and colored his hands in. Once he fell over into dog poo.

I don't think its the guy any of you are talking about.

Madness

At least now BTB Pro Slayer will probably be one of the best playlist in the game. I know lack of radar turned off a lot of people.

As for SWAT, I've been wanting something like this for a while. Don't know why we're getting pulse grenades in forerunner version though.

But at least finally people can practice headshots with light rifle.

Computron

What?

No way. The Carbine wrecks in MP now. It's pretty cool actually haha.

Huh, I forgot about the buff. I might have to give the carbine another go, if I ever turn Halo 4 on again.

Someone got raw numbers from experimenting? Is the DMR still on top across the board?

Booshka

Huh, I forgot about the buff. I might have to give the carbine another go, if I ever turn Halo 4 on again.

Someone got raw numbers from experimenting? Is the DMR still on top across the board?

Don't remember the post, but I think Carbine has fastest time to kill, then BR, then DMR, this is all within milliseconds of each other, but there is definitely more parity. BR is the go to close to mid range weapon for pretty much everyone, Carbine is very in that role as well, but less used. DMR and Lightrifle are now pushed a little more into the medium to long range role, with the Lightrifle being a long range shield melting machine when zoomed in, but severely limited in ranges where BR or Carbine are emphasized.

Ghazi

BR is the new go to weapon imo, it seems to be the best overall at this point. I may be slightly biased since it has been my most used weapon since launch, though I plan on changing that with the new Carbine.

Top Bottom