• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

Why is invis still in loadouts.

And jetpack. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've been behind cover and someone has just floated on above it and killed me. Just eghhh

If either of those things are still available in Halo 5 then any faith I had left in this series will be gone. People have complained about this crap for two games now. That's like 5 years. There's no excuse for 343i to keep bringing them back as is

lawful

Banned
And jetpack. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've been behind cover and someone has just floated on above it and killed me. Just eghhh

If either of those things are still available in Halo 5 then any faith I had left in this series will be gone. People have complained about this crap for two games now. That's like 5 years. There's no excuse for 343i to keep bringing them back as is

This is what is going to happen and I'm taking bets now: They are going to release a HD collection with the campaigns of 1-4 all re-done possibly with the exception of 4 as it was pretty good looking as is. They are going to include the multiplayer of 2 and only 2 on this set. It will be everything you remember it was 10 years ago. It will be the return of classic Halo. Then they will put out 5 which will have weapon attachments and ADS on top of everything 4 brought to the table (you know, the bad stuff). The reasoning behind this is they already gave you classic Halo with the HD collection and therefore they won't feel obligated to keep it going. It will be enough to satisfy series purists while they go for another fresh audience cash grab. "Don't like new Halo (5)? Well lucky you can play old Halo (2) then!"

This is what is going to happen and I'm taking bets now: They are going to release a HD collection with the campaigns of 1-4 all re-done possibly with the exception of 4 as it was pretty good looking as is. They are going to include the multiplayer of 2 and only 2 on this set. It will be everything you remember it was 10 years ago. It will be the return of classic Halo. Then they will put out 5 which will have weapon attachments and ADS on top of everything 4 brought to the table (you know, the bad stuff). The reasoning behind this is they already gave you classic Halo with the HD collection and therefore they won't feel obligated to keep it going. It will be enough to satisfy series purists while they go for another fresh audience cash grab. "Don't like new Halo (5)? Well lucky you can play old Halo (2) then!"

and if they do this then they should just burn the halo name and realize they are a joke at making good games.

lawful

Banned
Think about it, they were johnny on the spot to dispel rumors about the new Spartan being female or a robot Cortana. Literally within the hour they were active on twitter and such denouncing such claims. Then the hour after that when everyone starts losing their shit about ADS and weapon attachments they mysteriously go quiet. If anything needed damage control it's that over what gender a new character is. They know that and because they are silent on it you can pretty much guarantee ADS coming to Halo 5 with the return of custom classes now with weapon attachments. The funny part is I called this over a year ago. It's what I got banned on Waypoint for (that and I was a bit of rude asshole, which I like to think I've dialed back on it since then).

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2161637_Halo-5-talk.aspx#post2161637

Mistel

Banned
The Banshee AI in this game is super irritating. Being saying it since launch. It's like they've got hax aimbots and not one of their shots ever misses. They're also very aggressive so you literally have like 2 seconds to react to one coming at you before you're dead

Absolutely ruins certain encounters for me. No idea how anyone tested parts of Halo 4 and thought "hey, this is fun"
It does especially as there's limited things to take them outt. There's some places they shouldn't of been like the inside of shutdown.

Wasn't Anna Poppelwell in forward unto dawn as a marine?

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 2's AI is leagues worse. I have never had an instance of CE's AI (CE and CEA and CE PC) in which the AI just stood around.

Try shooting at Halo CE Covies from very long range. Perhaps the one you shoot reacts BUT anyone around it doesn't. Easiest with the sniper but not impossible with other weapons.
This has bothered me since i first played Halo CE (PC, and no, i it isn't PC exclusive thing).
Finding out Halo 4 AI can be just as stupid as the first game's in the franchise... it ain't fun.

Pretty sure Halo 2 AI has wider variety of things it can do but smaller encounter scales and the map design probably limit it a bit.
Note that i didn't call Halo 2 AI good either, just a tad better than CE's, just as Halo 3's AI is a bit better than 2's.

EDIT Also Halo 4 Banshees: Why don't they have that 45 degree up/down limitation like Halo 3 had? Specifically, why doesn't the AI have that? It is really annoying when they attack from directly above you when you're in a vehicle. Impossible to shoot back.

m23

There seem to be a lot of rumoured projects for Halo lately.

Although it would be cool to see them all, I honestly can't believe that if 343 tried to release a remastered collection of Halo CE, 2, 3 and 4, while working on Halo 5 and allegedly being involved in a TV series, we would get high quality across the board.

I would rather they just focused on making a Halo 2 anniversary reboot worthy of the original (and of the Halo CE reboot) and making sure Halo 5 takes a more interesting take on the FPS this time around.

Hopefully Titanfall made enough of an impact with its return to arcade-style gameplay mechanics that we will see a more fast-paced, less armour-ability and killstreak dependent design choice from 343.

I don't think 343 are the ones working on the master chief collection. It's probably certain affinity and saber interactive.

Certain Affinity + Saber Interactive + Native HD Halo collection with stronger hardware?

0BfJpM9.jpg

aj1467

Think about it, they were johnny on the spot to dispel rumors about the new Spartan being female or a robot Cortana. Literally within the hour they were active on twitter and such denouncing such claims. Then the hour after that when everyone starts losing their shit about ADS and weapon attachments they mysteriously go quiet. If anything needed damage control it's that over what gender a new character is. They know that and because they are silent on it you can pretty much guarantee ADS coming to Halo 5 with the return of custom classes now with weapon attachments. The funny part is I called this over a year ago. It's what I got banned on Waypoint for (that and I was a bit of rude asshole, which I like to think I've dialed back on it since then).

blooddiamond.gif

mhi

Seriously who gives a fuck what they do with Halo 5 if we get H2 multi remade ? If it's done right (hell even half right, the anni playlist in Reach was prob the most fun I've had in a Halo game since 2), then I'll be playing it until they shut down the servers like H2.

I mean I can see what they were going for with H4 multi and as a creative team, I can't fault them if they make another run at showing us their vision.

lawful

Banned
Seriously who gives a fuck what they do with Halo 5 if we get H2 multi remade ? If it's done right (hell even half right, the anni playlist in Reach was prob the most fun I've had in a Halo game since 2), then I'll be playing it until they shut down the servers like H2.

I mean I can see what they were going for with H4 multi and as a creative team, I can't fault them if they make another run at showing us their vision.

I guess. I just wish they'd do something different. Because their 'vision' is starting to blend into DICE/Infinity Ward/Treyarch/Crytek's vision.

Halo 1 was one of if not THE most innovative FPS's around during it's day (putting aside the grandfather of all modern shooters: Half-Life). Every shooter post November 2001 borrowed key elements of it. I want that to happen again. I want Halo to innovate again. You can't tell me it's all been done already. There has to be something new and fresh they can do with it that doesn't feel like every other game. Don't get me wrong, I like my Call of Duty and Battlefield but I like Halo for very different reasons. I liked it because up until recently it stood out distinct from those two franchises. ADS and weapon attachments are the nail in the coffin. It will be the ultimate sign that 343 does not understand their customer base. They might as well scrap competitive multiplayer and focus on co-op exclusively. That way it won't be so humiliating when I see how many players are on 3 weeks after launch.

Tawpgun

ADS won't be in Halo 5. It won't be in Halo 6 or any of the halo games following chiefs current arc.

If it is it will be purely aesthetic, hopefully with an option to make it more like smart link.

I always thought it would be hilarious to give players the option to have ADS with halos weaponry, just for them to see how ineffective it makes them in MP.

AlStrong

OlK3qkW.jpg

I wonder how they are going to pull off the beginning campaign missions for H5G if Chief really is alone in the wild. Chief has historically been a silent fellow. Maybe we'll get depressed Chief who talks to a non-existent Cortana during the missions.

I expect Chief to get some sort of companion at some point in the game, but I doubt in the first few missions.

Return of Dustin Echoes!

That's because they were only talking about the released images, the visual ID. They are not talking about gameplay or any in-game features, so you are drawing your own conclusions from that.

So I just played Spartan Ops
I watched the cutscenes on YouTube
and that was actually pretty engaging. What's up with that?

The gameplay wasn't very fun in a few missions so I gave up on it back in 2012.

lawful

Banned
That's because they were only talking about the released images, the visual ID. They are not talking about gameplay or any in-game features, so you are drawing your own conclusions from that.

The visual ID implies a gameplay change if even the slightest being a new BR scope. It's not as PC as you make it seem and they are smart enough to make a promotional image with exactly what they want on it so either it's A) purely an aesthetic change like MC's armor going from 3 to 4 or B) it was put there deliberately to spark discussion about ADS or weapon customization. They don't just do things just to do them and I'm pretty sure they aren't the type to do such a thing as a joke. It looks like a red dot sight from many many other FPS's that include ADS in them. I've heard the ODST theory that the sight on the BR is just like the sight on the ODST SMG but that's nonsense and I can tell you why. The Halo 2/3 SMG did not have any type of scope or sight and therefore could not scope in until the ODST variant. Every version of the BR thus far has had a scope on it, it already could zoom in. To put a shorter distance sight on it, something as point blank as a red dot, can only mean you are now meant to hold LT to look down the sight.

I really hope that at the beginning of Halo 5, they show a retired Master Chief absolutely bored to death of civilian life, before he gets back into whatever it is he will get into.

Like seriously, show him waking up in the morning, realizing his rent is due. Walking aimlessly through the streets, all eyes casting glances. Flashbacks of the war and Cortana constantly haunting him. Being absolutely incapable of adapting to civilian life.

Do it in a way that of course, keeps his back to us at all times, etc.

But damn, I've been dreaming of that since the end of Halo 4 when he "retires" if you will.

I was looking for faked H2A screens to shop into that "CGI force ghost frankie plays halo 2 in the prequel trilogy" image, but couldn't find any. Found some equally interesting food for thought, though:

halo_2_anniversary__box_art_2014__by_f1yingpinapp1e-d7a3lc1.png

Since it's not exactly a surprise anymore, do you guys think we might see the Arbiter on this cover, too? It'd be a neat juxtaposition and provide that blue-orange contrast so many visual IDs love nowadays.

AlStrong

Since it's not exactly a surprise anymore, do you guys think we might see the Arbiter on this cover, too? It'd be a neat juxtaposition and provide that blue-orange contrast so many visual IDs love nowadays.

I think it'd make for a good cover. :) On the other hand, it's a pose that we see more from Halo 3.

Of course, the last one here (from H2) is maybe more fitting, though I'm not sure it works as well for a cover. *shrug*

So I just played Spartan Ops
I watched the cutscenes on YouTube
and that was actually pretty engaging. What's up with that?

The gameplay wasn't very fun in a few missions so I gave up on it back in 2012.

the first half of the season was pretty bad, but Season 1.5 had more resources because the campaign team was finished so they joined up with the Spartan Ops team. The writing is much better, as well. It's disappointing overall, the concept has a lot of potential, IMO.

Omni

Spartan Ops was alright... until, you know... they made Halsey go rogue and chopped off her arm for no reason

I still remember the reactions when that shit happened

Definitely an alt.

Been part of HaloGAF for quite some time. Almost 6 years now.

Didn't realize I was the 'vocal minority' on HaloGAF, but I would like to discuss the merits of my viewpoints with some civility. ADS, perks, etc are part of the new wave of the FPS market, like it or not. Halo CE was built into the Doom market (crosshairs static on screen), and improved upon other games that built on the original. I personally feel some of the things that have been added into the current marketplace with ADS, double jumping, sprint, etc, if implemented correctly, have a place in a game franchise that is seeking to remain fresh and still be the continued standard of excellence. If they solely remain attached to what their core audience says (rose-tinted as they may well be), they may be buried into the ground; I can also be completely wrong and their standard is a retro revival that withstands the test of time and they only need to upgrade the graphics and re-use the same map designs from here on out for every release.

Mistel

Banned
I personally feel some of the things that have been added into the current marketplace with ADS, double jumping, sprint, etc, if implemented correctly, have a place in a game franchise that is seeking to remain fresh and still be the continued standard of excellence.
So how would those benefit halo at all? Implementation of sprint and load outs leaves a rather acrid after taste of chasing after the wrong crowd. If you want those features why not simply play a franchise with them instead of wanting them grafted onto this one?

lawful

Banned
So how would those benefit halo at all? Implementation of sprint and load outs leaves a rather acrid after taste of chasing after the wrong crowd. If you want those features why not simply play a franchise with them instead of wanting them grafted onto this one?

Yeah I don't see what his point was in adding those things other than to make it more 'relevant' among other games today. When everybody zigs, Master Chief zags baby.

Verticality, further ways to strategize, and it sounds more fun to me.

why not simply play a franchise with them instead of wanting them grafted onto this one?
I've been thinking about this question. It's definitely not a bad question, but I miss Halo. I don't like Halo 4 as it stands (nor any of the other releases), because of competing titles or stale gameplay. I want to play Halo, and I want to have fun while doing it. I just can't seem to right now with the titles I have at my disposal, and this is my opinion of what may make this a better experience.

Mistel

Banned

I've been thinking about this question. It's definitely not a bad question, but I miss Halo. I don't like Halo 4 as it stands (nor any of the other releases), because of competing titles or stale gameplay. I want to play Halo, and I want to have fun while doing it. I just can't seem to right now with the titles I have at my disposal, and this is my opinion of what may make this a better experience.
What you want doesn't sound like halo at all to be honest. You want some sort of amalgamation of different mechanics from other franchises because you think it is more fun.

So again if you don't actually like them or any of the gameplay in them and you prefer other titles why not play those instead?

You mean increased randomness. And when has that ever been good in Halo?

Omni

I'm definitely all for sprint and armour abilities these days.

I feel like sprint was broken in Reach, but in 4 with the decreased kill times and the slow down effect while being shot at, I think it works quite nicely. I can't think of one time where I've felt cheated because of it. Hell even going back to earlier games I've found myself saying "man sprint would be nice here". As for armour abilities... they need to be passive and balanced. Camo doesn't work. Neither does jetpack. But thrusters does.

So when the prospect of ADS comes about, I'm not going to dismiss it entirely. Like sprint and certain armour abilities, I think it could work with some tweaking. Ideally they'd just replace the current HUD zoom with an animation that shows the player looking down the sight. Functionally it would be pretty much the same. But they could still tick that box which has become synonymous with the modern day shooter.

Tawpgun

Here's the thing though, if you want current FPS tropes in Halo you aren't helping Halo fans or shooter fans.

What you're doing is just conforming all shooters to one style of gunplay.

CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall, Medal Of Honor, Far Cry, Crysis, hell even Destiny (though aiming from the hip seems a bit more viable) All have more or less very similar gunplay. They just differ in movement options, gun properties, and other abilities outside of the gunplay.

You remove the movement and titans from Titanfall, its just a CoD clone. You remove Battlefields scale of combat, its just a clunkier CoD.

Yes, the movement and titans of Titanfall make it really fun and unique. The scale of Battlefield defines the game, the abilities of Crysis and Destiny define its combat.

But their gunplay is very similar. Automatic weapons shine, you sprint in, ADS, shoot for a bit, and keep sprinting till you find another enemy.

Despite Halo 4 being disappointing, its gunplay is the most unique among the shooter landscape today, and personally, this is just an opinion, but Halo has the BEST gunplay of any shooter on the market now. The slow kill times, emphasis on headshots, being fully mobile, accurate and aware while not scoped in... This is what makes Halo unique to other shooters and fun.

If you start putting in these other mechanics then Halo will lose its edge and you'll see another Halo 4 population drop.

For how much I love playing Titanfall, the gunplay in it is really a chore. The parkour and titan combat is by far the best part. But despite these awesome mechanics in the game, I can feel myself getting bored of it. Whereas Halo, even Halo 4, can keep my attention because every firefight feels rewarding.

Trigger warning for Gravity Gauntlets.

So like, Haloverse energy shielding works on the basis of inertial dampening, right? Like, when something goes fast or has high potential energy and impacts the shielding, it attempts to diffuse it over the entirety of the wearer's energy profile. While this debatably justifies slowdown when getting shot in Halo 4 multi (kinetic dampening over the entire body would make it more difficult to enact your own motions and reactions, hence the whole "running-through-water" effect), it could also potentially provide an excuse for TitanFall-style parkour. Just say that hitting the freerun button reverses the interpolation of the user's personal energy shields, meaning that it absorbs kinetic charges at an exponential rate. In other words, to emphasize verticality, you could remove sprint and make it so that freerunning is the new Sprint, where you're given a minor boost with regard to movement at the cost of using your shield. This also clears up the user's HUD, because your freerun meter could be the shield bar itself. It also allows for balancing because, y'know, people that try and flee on walls parallel to you would be draining their own shields trying to escape rather than deliberately slowing down movement and by extension gameplay.

belushy

Banned
I'd have to see how it plays, but I don't really like the sound of wall running in Halo. At the most, I'd be cool with wall jumps and double jumps.

edit: Your idea for the shield bar is good, that is pretty much how it is done in Murder Miners for the dashing mechanic. Instead of shields though, it takes away from your total health, allowing you to kill someone in less shots if they are using the dashes poorly
Can't argue with it being possible in the lore, though. Then again, Spartans can't swim in the video games like what the fuck?

Here's the thing though, if you want current FPS tropes in Halo you aren't helping Halo fans or shooter fans.

What you're doing is just conforming all shooters to one style of gunplay.

CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall, Medal Of Honor, Far Cry, Crysis, hell even Destiny (though aiming from the hip seems a bit more viable) All have more or less very similar gunplay. They just differ in movement options, gun properties, and other abilities outside of the gunplay.

You remove the movement and titans from Titanfall, its just a CoD clone. You remove Battlefields scale of combat, its just a clunkier CoD.

Yes, the movement and titans of Titanfall make it really fun and unique. The scale of Battlefield defines the game, the abilities of Crysis and Destiny define its combat.

But their gunplay is very similar. Automatic weapons shine, you sprint in, ADS, shoot for a bit, and keep sprinting till you find another enemy.

Despite Halo 4 being disappointing, its gunplay is the most unique among the shooter landscape today, and personally, this is just an opinion, but Halo has the BEST gunplay of any shooter on the market now. The slow kill times, emphasis on headshots, being fully mobile, accurate and aware while not scoped in... This is what makes Halo unique to other shooters and fun.

If you start putting in these other mechanics then Halo will lose its edge and you'll see another Halo 4 population drop.

For how much I love playing Titanfall, the gunplay in it is really a chore. The parkour and titan combat is by far the best part. But despite these awesome mechanics in the game, I can feel myself getting bored of it. Whereas Halo, even Halo 4, can keep my attention because every firefight feels rewarding.

You make a compelling argument.

I could see verticality and parkour without ADS really adding some dimension to Halo. Sounds fun actually.

Top Bottom