• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I miss Gui.
Yeah, just the other day I was wondering what's up with that guy. Maybe we should start an official petition to bring him back. The occasional drive-by joke post is enough for me.

Sounds like Deadly Cyclone
I lol'd

Default Thrusters >
+1

Speaking of Sprint, I would welcome its removal. Boost base movement speed and you won't even need it.
+1 again

After Halo 3 I certainly saw talk of speed, but very little or none if sprint, if not equal amounts / more of trying to caution against sprint.
Agreed. If anything, it was COD fans calling for sprint in Halo, not Halo fans. (I know there's overlap there, but yall know what I mean.)

About ADS in Halo, did some of you use the fish control in Halo 4? Imo, it was really enjoyable because it lets the player focus on one main action per screen, which is something great in itself.
I'm not sure what "one main action per screen" means...?

Juan

I'm not sure what "one main action per screen" means...?

Oh yeah sorry, it's more a mobile and web, user experience centric, approch. Like on your mobile, the user will better perform an action if you have one main action per screen.

I would take Snapchat for example. The main screen records your content (picture or video), then you switch on another screen to draw or write above your content then you choose contacts who will receive your snap with a last screen.

3 different actions, 3 differents screens.

ADS lets the player focus on the fact he has to aim his opponent without being distracted by the rest of his environment.

First step : Call Of Duty general screen => lets the player evolve in his environment and find other players

Second step : ADS => it switch to another screen space => lets the player focus on his opponent to aim and kill him.

because ADS would bring nothing to the table in halo, except to bring it closer to non-halo gameplay

It wouldn't even make sense, ADS just ruins your field of view, a spartan can just jump out of the screen and you probably took away very little of his health. It wouldn't even work and it would make the game less unique.

Oh yeah sorry, it's more a mobile and web, user experience centric, approch. Like on your mobile, the user will better perform an action if you have one main action per screen.

I would take Snapchat for example. The main screen records your content (picture or video), then you switch on another screen to draw or write above your content then you choose contacts who will receive your snap with a last screen.

ADS lets the player focus on the fact he has to aim his opponent without being distracted by the rest of his environment.

First step : Call Of Duty general screen => lets the player evolve in his environment and find other players

Second step : ADS => it switch to another screen space => lets the player focus on his opponent to aim and kill him.

My fun in Halo is partly derived from the multi-tasking. ADS just feels like dumbing down the genre.

Homeboyd

I've been a fan of the perk system in H4, and the default sprint. I'm not alone either - most of the fans of this that I know have left Halo because of other design flaws. And I still want ADS in Halo. I think it would be great to see. Grill me all you want, but truthfully I want to see that.
42096-hi-Bugs_Bunny.jpg

jelly

It wouldn't even make sense, ADS just ruins your field of view, a spartan can just jump out of the screen and you probably took away very little of his health. It wouldn't even work and it would make the game less unique.

But if they lower the kill times...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't really make sense to me. I don't need something special to focus on shooting an opponent. All I need are my eyes to see an opponent and for my brain to tell me to shoot the opponent. I can do that with our without ADS.

Juan

My fun in Halo is partly derived from the multi-tasking. ADS just feels like dumbing down the genre.

And you are totally right.

Like Fata1moose said before, on Halo, a Spartan can jump higher than a soldier, perform better movements, you have to cover a much larger environment than in Call Of Duty for example, and the kill time is slower in this game than in any Halo game.

ADS lets you focus on aim, but it also blur the rest of the game and put your attention only on what is in front of you.

In Halo, you can jump, a vehicule can charge you from the right, and if the FOV isn't large, you will indeed focus on your opponent but you will lose the rest of the party, which is en essential gameplay element in Halo (even more in BTB).

In top of that, Halo always lets you aim without the need to zoom, and it works well!

ADS could be fun in SWAT if the hitbox of a Spartan was more thinner, but in general, it could ruin Halo, at least the old gameplay we know for this franchise, if putting ADS in Halo mean you can no longer aim without ADS, yes.

But in itself, ADS would not ruin Halo, it would just be useless.

Like Fata1moose said before, on Halo, a Spartan can jump higher than a soldier, perform better movements, you have to cover a much larger environment than in Call Of Duty for example, and the kill time is slower in this game than in any Halo game.

ADS lets you focus on aim, but it also blur the rest of the game and put your attention only on what is in front of you.

In Halo, you can jump, a vehicule can charge you from the right, and if the FOV isn't large, you will indeed focus on your opponent but you will lose the rest of the party, which is en essential gameplay element in Halo (even more in BTB).

In top of that, Halo always lets you aim without the need to zoom, and it works well!

ADS could be fun in SWAT if the hitbox of a Spartan was more thinner, but in general, it could ruin Halo, at least the old gameplay we know for this franchise, if putting ADS in Halo mean you can no longer aim without ADS, yes.

Ah, this makes sense to me and I was going to say that myself. Putting ADS in ala CoD means nerfing the ability to "fire from the hip," drastically altering the game. Putting it in without changing anything else simply makes it pointless, so why bother?

What if every ADS moment was a QTE instant kill when the enemy was in sight. Problem solved.

I suddenly have an idea of how to port FPS's to the Japanese market.

Madness

I don't understand these people. Like is ADS in shooters such a rarity that you need perhaps the last arena shooter without it to start utilizing it before you play? And saying you still want it, even though you don't care how it impacts game is just ridiculous.

If you like all that, go play the thousands of twitch/ads shooters out. Heck, you'll probably love Destiny which has default sprint, ADS, slide, insta-kill melee knife, upgradeable weapons, different classes, special abilities etc. Why do you need Halo to be like that too?

It's like those guys who cry that because Battlefield has 64 player combat, every shooter needs it. In the end, games become jack of all trades, masters of none. Games need a clear vision of what they provide. I honestly believe Halo should never go above 8v8.

I don't deny the allure for ADS is there for 343. I mean most of the people who don't want ADS in Halo, have no problem playing TitanFall, Battlefield, Call of Duty that has all of the same things we don't want in Halo. But it would impact the game play and change it so much, I honestly wouldn't play Halo at all. There is a reason I'm playing Halo 4 on/off regularly nearly 1.5 years after launch.

Chettlar

Banned
If I was in charge I would probably remove sprint. But I'd replace it with Mirror's Edge style running where the longer you held down the faster you went as long as you didn't hit any obstructions. But no one will ever do this so I say keep sprint.

Whoa, you are not the only one to think of that!

I had just been thinking something like that, and then my brother who came down for the weekend commented that he had just watched his roommate play Halo 4 and they were both talking about how awesome it would be to run faster and faster and then like slam into a grunt, punching it and thus launching it fifty yards away.

How awesome would that be?

Hey, Spartans should be able to swim...

They should tho

Best irony ever.

Bahaha.

I don't understand these people. Like is ADS in shooters such a rarity that you need perhaps the last arena shooter without it to start utilizing it before you play? And saying you still want it, even though you don't care how it impacts game is just ridiculous.

If you like all that, go play the thousands of twitch/ads shooters out. Heck, you'll probably love Destiny which has default sprint, ADS, slide, insta-kill melee knife, upgradeable weapons, different classes, special abilities etc. Why do you need Halo to be like that too?

It's like those guys who cry that because Battlefield has 64 player combat, every shooter needs it. In the end, games become jack of all trades, masters of none. Games need a clear vision of what they provide. I honestly believe Halo should never go above 8v8.

I don't deny the allure for ADS is there for 343. I mean most of the people who don't want ADS in Halo, have no problem playing TitanFall, Battlefield, Call of Duty that has all of the same things we don't want in Halo. But it would impact the game play and change it so much, I honestly wouldn't play Halo at all. There is a reason I'm playing Halo 4 on/off regularly nearly 1.5 years after launch.

Eww i had no idea Destiny had all that. Bungie is no longer innovative : (

Sprint isn't mandatory, neither is any other form of faster movement.

These features only server to appease ADD gamers. They do nothing for gameplay and in may area's detract from it.

Chettlar

Banned

Yes. Adding ADS would be tantamount to relegating grenades to a weapon slot, like in other games like Crysis or Gears or what have you (lol, I can't even remember how COD does it).

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, it wouldn't be tantamount, it would be actually relegating grenades to a weapon slot. What do ADS shooters use? Left trigger for aim. Where do grenades go? To a weapon slot.

Ugh, just ugh.

That just kills what I love about halo. How the gameplay flows. Doing everything at once and always having options. ADS is like a weird crutch -- weird, because it also limits you at the same time. It dumbs things down with no real benefit. I really can't see why everybody wants it so much or why it was there in the first place.

That's what it invariably does. Otherwise, why is it there?

If it does not improve your aim (and the only way it can do that is if without it you do not have as great aim), then it is useless. Thus the devs leave it out. But the devs won't do something silly like that. If it's in, it's going to have a use. Anything else would be silly.

Plus, once it's in, we have to give it a button. Which button? Left trigger? Then what do we through grenades with?

I talked about this above. When you have to force ADS into the picture, it affects other things. ADS is NOT an isolated thing that you can just add into the picture. It affects EVERYTHING around it.

Juan

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, it wouldn't be tantamount, it would be actually relegating grenades to a weapon slot. What do ADS shooters use? Left trigger for aim. Where do grenades go? To a weapon slot.

Ugh, just ugh.

In fact, CoD does it very well. At least in the only CoD I have played, Black Ops 2.

RB to detonate your first type of grenade, LB for the second (if you had one) if I remember right. Not a weapon slot. Definitely good.

That's what it invariably does. Otherwise, why is it there?

If it does not improve your aim (and the only way it can do that is if without it you do not have as great aim), then it is useless. Thus the devs leave it out. But the devs won't do something silly like that. If it's in, it's going to have a use. Anything else would be silly.

Plus, once it's in, we have to give it a button. Which button? Left trigger? Then what do we through grenades with?

I talked about this above. When you have to force ADS into the picture, it affects other things. ADS is NOT an isolated thing that you can just add into the picture. It affects EVERYTHING around it.

Not if ADS only replace the zoom, if would impact nothing (at least, not so much). :)

You should use the fish control in Halo 4 if you had not before. It works well, and give Halo a modern approch in his gameplay, which is of course not needed.

In fact, CoD does it very well. At least in the only CoD I have played, Black Ops 2.

RB to detonate your first type of grenade, LB for the second (if you had one) if I remember right. Not a weapon slot. Definitely good.

its a weapon slot because in the loadout menu, you choose your grenade. and it takes up TWO buttons on the controller that could be used for something else.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
its a weapon slot because in the loadout menu, you choose your grenade. and it takes up TWO buttons on the controller that could be used for something else.
Which is fine. It works well. But for Halo? nope nope nope nope

Juan

Well, if I follow your logic, grenades are also weapon slots in Halo 4 because of the loadout system.

It takes two buttons, but only one for each type, and it is designed for, so it works well in CoD.

I didn't say the CoD gameplay mechanics would fit in Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looked for some Halo 2 pictures earlier today on google, came across Frankie test/showing off Halo 2 at TGS in 2004?

e8LSYdS.jpg

Gb7XlG8.jpg

ckR3k8I.jpg

hvWqu15.jpg

t3fiQCA.jpg

Could be doing this again in a few months..

I remember this. Top floor of the New Otani hotel out at Makuhari Messe. Big hotel suite. Accidentally walked in on someone going potty. Both traumatized.

That is a terrible location, landfill, dozens of miles from Tokyo, hour and a half each way. But it does have a good soba restaurant and I once took Shishka to an Izakaya in the middle of a random office building across the street.

wwm0nkey

Been trying Murder Miners out on PC a bit, holy shit 60FPS changed that game a lot lol

Really hope H2A is 60FPS with animations that match the framerate

Chettlar

Banned

Not if ADS only replace the zoom, if would impact nothing (at least, not so much). :)

You should use the fish control in Halo 4 if you had not before. It works well, and give Halo a modern approch in his gameplay, which is of course not needed.

Yes, but then if you use right bumper, what about bumper jumper?

Or people who just use the default control scheme? Bumpers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything else for melee. I thought B was adequate in 3. It isn't. It really isn't. Not in a fast paced shooter like Halo (which is why bumper jumper was invented, btw.) Face buttons are just bad for this kind of thing, but a necessary evil. If we could have multiple bumpers (like that sick Razor custom 360 controller), that would be better I would think. Face buttons take you away from the right stick, which is what you use for aiming.

Again, it works for COD because it works for COD. COD does not use grenades the same way Halo does, thus the controls reflect that. Halo simply uses grenades much more often and freely. That's why you have the whole golden triangle thing.

It's put in the left trigger because they expect you to use it that much. And you do.

Also what Ragnarok said.

Well, if I follow your logic, grenades are also weapon slots in Halo 4 because of the loadout system.

It takes two buttons, but only one for each type, and it is designed for, so it works well in CoD.

I didn't say the CoD gameplay mechanics would fit in Halo.

The controls are designed around the gameplay. I find it odd that you would underestimate that.

Not talking about control schemes. I'm talking about the number of the inputs and things. Where they're placed is trivial.

Madness

Eww i had no idea Destiny had all that. Bungie is no longer innovative : (

Destiny is a much larger sum than those pieces, but yeah, it does feel disappointingly derivative in some ways.

Don't get me wrong, Destiny will probably be fun as hell to play and it will be something new in the FPS space, but those design choices are meant to cater to the these types of guys who like sprint, upgradeable weapons, ads etc.

Just the way they talked about Snipers and how someone could have it upgraded to be slow but kill in one hit, while others could opt for speed and faster firing but less damage, is something I'm wary of since I love equal starts.

belushy

Banned
Been trying Murder Miners out on PC a bit, holy shit 60FPS changed that game a lot lol

Really hope H2A is 60FPS with animations that match the framerate

The aiming and strafing with m&k is sooo much better. I could never get the sensitivity settings for the sticks to work correctly at all on 360.

belushy

Banned
WHAT?! How dare you not inform HaloGAF of its release.. Jumping all over that bad boy.

I made a post a few days ago :(

Unfortunately they are done handing out keys at the moment. The game is way early indev for the PC version. The privacy settings for rooms don't even work so people can just join your game even if you set it to invite only.

edit: Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thats what im getting at.
Yup, I know.

I remember the conversations. I just don't remember all that many Halo fans clamoring for it. It's the same then as it was now: people who play each game for the campaign and a few weeks worth of multiplayer had split opinions on sprint, but people who play the games on a near daily basis generally favored keeping sprint out because they had a deeper understanding of the implications. That same phenomenon happens over all kinds of features, and definitely applies beyond the Halo fanbase.

Woorloog

Banned
So Halo 4 AI is apparently abysmally stupid. You know, Halo CE stupid. This Elite doesn't move when i shoot it as i'm far away. Just like the Halo CE AI.

Can 343i please, please, PLEASE make Halo 5 really challenging game, even on Heroic. Not frustrating, that must be avoided at all costs, but challenging. EDIT note that i don't find Halo 4 frustrating, just way too easy.
I have no idea what that is exactly though, since i don't find any Halo challenging anymore... Perhaps i'm just too good against the AI?

EDIT you know what i want? Learning AI. Something that gets better as i get better.

wwm0nkey

I made a post a few days ago :(

Unfortunately they are done handing out keys at the moment. The game is way early indev for the PC version. The privacy settings for rooms don't even work so people can just join your game even if you set it to invite only.

edit: Halo 4.

also we are now Steam devs thanks to them lol

but yeah hopefully they update soon and allow more people.

I've been a fan of the perk system in H4, and the default sprint. I'm not alone either - most of the fans of this that I know have left Halo because of other design flaws. And I still want ADS in Halo. I think it would be great to see. Grill me all you want, but truthfully I want to see that.

"If it ain't broken.."

belushy

Banned
also we are now Steam devs thanks to them lol

but yeah hopefully they update soon and allow more people.

Hah, Yeah I see that I've got a badge that says that. Is there any perks to being considered a dev? :p

And I can't wait until the full game is out. Should have a 1v1 HaloGAF tourny or something.

Woorloog

Banned

Halo CE AI is pretty damn stupid at times. Especially vs long range attacks, it just sits there thinking nice thoughts and dying.
Halo 2 and 3 AIs at least try to get to cover though usually they're too stupid to get to cover properly or fast enough.

What else stupid does Halo CE AI... oh yes, total inability to deal with AR charge, even on Legendary, aside from shooting back.
The Hunters reveal their backs too easily, start their melee charges too early.
The Grunts dodge my shots so that i kill the Grunt behind.

OK, technically they're just not programmed to deal with many things... so the AI is stupid, either by laziness or other limitations.

Not that Halo 2/3 AI is that much of an improvement. Halo 4 AI is unfortunately Halo CE stupid, not sure why 343i ditched many good (feeling generous) AI tactics from earlier Halos.

wwm0nkey

Hah, Yeah I see that I've got a badge that says that. Is there any perks to being considered a dev? :p

And I can't wait until the full game is out. Should have a 1v1 HaloGAF tourny or something.

We have access to the SteamWorks SDK, so that totally helped me in my whole making a game thing going on right now lol

Also yes, want to do a 1v1 tomorrow and I can record it on Shadowplay?

So Halo 4 AI is apparently abysmally stupid. You know, Halo CE stupid. This Elite doesn't move when i shoot it as i'm far away. Just like the Halo CE AI.

Can 343i please, please, PLEASE make Halo 5 really challenging game, even on Heroic. Not frustrating, that must be avoided at all costs, but challenging. EDIT note that i don't find Halo 4 frustrating, just way too easy.
I have no idea what that is exactly though, since i don't find any Halo challenging anymore... Perhaps i'm just too good against the AI?

EDIT you know what i want? Learning AI. Something that gets better as i get better.

CE had great AI.

Woorloog

Banned
CE had great AI.

I will call AI great when it can provide me challenge for years. Otherwise it is stupid AI.

And Halo CE AI is not particularly good really. Compared to other games of its time, it was pretty "good", and it is still better than many newer games' AI... but that doesn't mean it is actually good. Rather, most games have really, really stupid AI.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I will call AI great when it can provide me challenge for years. Otherwise it is stupid AI.

And Halo CE AI is not particularly good really. Compared to other games of its time, it was pretty "good", and it is still better than many newer games' AI... but that doesn't mean it is actually good. Rather, most games have really, really stupid AI.

EDIT: nvm

Read your earlier posts, you want machine learning AI in a videogame.

Top Bottom