• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT: nvm

Read your earlier posts, you want machine learning AI in a videogame.
In shooters. Don't really seek for challenge in other types of games. EDIT Turn-based strategy games could use better AI too.
Though of course learning AI is probably somewhat impossible for video games for now. In practice that is, if not in theory.
That said, AI that has enough tricks so that it takes quite many playthroughs to learn them all would be good enough probably. I'd probably still complain but not as much. I think i've complained about the AI in Halos and specifically Halo 4 before.
Can we have reach FF Heretic AI's again? I mean they were deadly with the DMR.

Combine Reach AI's inhuman accuracy and ability to score headshots at long range while moving with hitscan weapon. (Do note that Reach is the only Halo where the player character can be headshotted, in other Halos headshots against the player do not count as anything special. EDIT also note that Reach AI has almost Halo 2 Jackal Sniper level accuracy regardless of difficulty and situation. Reach is more challenging than Halo 4, but that's because the AI practically cheats, and is even more bullet-spongy than Halo 4 enemies...)
That is the kind of frustrating, cheating AI i do not want.
AI should be fair but challenging.

Don't get me wrong, Destiny will probably be fun as hell to play and it will be something new in the FPS space, but those design choices are meant to cater to the these types of guys who like sprint, upgradeable weapons, ads etc.

Just the way they talked about Snipers and how someone could have it upgraded to be slow but kill in one hit, while others could opt for speed and faster firing but less damage, is something I'm wary of since I love equal starts.
You won't be getting equal starts in Destiny.

One of the core features of the game is carrying your character through any game mode with a variety of character/ability/weapon upgrades/customization.

Mistel

Banned
Combine Reach AI's inhuman accuracy and ability to score headshots at long range while moving with hitscan weapon. (Do note that Reach is the only Halo where the player character can be headshotted, in other Halos headshots against the player do not count as anything special. EDIT also note that Reach AI has almost Halo 2 Jackal Sniper level accuracy regardless of difficulty and situation. Reach is more challenging than Halo 4, but that's because the AI practically cheats, and is even more bullet-spongy than Halo 4 enemies...)
That is the kind of frustrating, cheating AI i do not want.
AI should be fair but challenging.
Turn down the sponginess and keep the marksmanship then you have harder AI there. Unless my vision of AI is that they aggressively punish the player if they make mistakes is more to the extremes of challenging.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I don't understand these people. Like is ADS in shooters such a rarity that you need perhaps the last arena shooter without it to start utilizing it before you play? And saying you still want it, even though you don't care how it impacts game is just ridiculous.

If you like all that, go play the thousands of twitch/ads shooters out. Heck, you'll probably love Destiny which has default sprint, ADS, slide, insta-kill melee knife, upgradeable weapons, different classes, special abilities etc. Why do you need Halo to be like that too?

It's like those guys who cry that because Battlefield has 64 player combat, every shooter needs it. In the end, games become jack of all trades, masters of none. Games need a clear vision of what they provide. I honestly believe Halo should never go above 8v8.

I don't deny the allure for ADS is there for 343. I mean most of the people who don't want ADS in Halo, have no problem playing TitanFall, Battlefield, Call of Duty that has all of the same things we don't want in Halo. But it would impact the game play and change it so much, I honestly wouldn't play Halo at all. There is a reason I'm playing Halo 4 on/off regularly nearly 1.5 years after launch.

I'd hug you if these internet tubes would let me.

FyreWulff

huh cool. I wonder if its a bandwidth issue or a processing issue? did the same thing happen in campaign?

Did halo 2's ragdolls effect gameplay in any material way? Like blocking grenade's or bullets? where they properly replicated?

Processing issue, from what I remember (a Bungie employee mentioned that thing way back)

I remember bodies in Halo 2 being able to get stuck/stop bullets

Woorloog

Banned
Turn down the sponginess and keep the marksmanship then you have harder AI there. Unless my vision of AI is that they aggressively punish the player if they make mistakes is more to the extremes of challenging.

Halo 3 level marksmanship would be good enough for AI, if they were active enough and had enough options (including feints). Halo 4 AI is actually decent shot, that is not the issue there (or Halo CE). Halo 4 AI is just too passive, and encounters are sometimes designed with too little cover (that Hangar fight in Composer) and overwhelming opposition (also the damn Hangar fight). And when it does something, it is just stupid and slow.
Reach AI is just cheating, and their ability to headshot the player is really frustrating. (OK, i admit that the AI not being able to headshot the player is actually unfair towards it but it is a good anti-frustration feature, no need to wonder why you suddenly died from one shot when you didn't see or hear any grenades or heavy weapons being used).

More tactically aware AI, with many, many more options, more dynamic AI (stuff like suddenly changing tactics, while verbally communicating this so that the player can react early if they actually hear it), that's what i want.

Oh, and a battles shouldn't always end up with the player either victorious or dead, how about fights where the player merely retreats to ponder a new approach. Now arguably this is possible in Halos but it is rather rare (for me that is, usually i either win or die, situations where i can escape and subsequently do that are not too common. At least when fighting at close range). Making this more common, or the possibility of this more common would be nice.
Enemies should retreat more too.

*RPGs have sometimes these too-difficult-for-your-level enemies but don't actually have any way to properly retreat from battle, aside from loading a save and avoiding the fight in the first place. In shooters this is not an issue but lack of retreats at all is, i think.

I remember bodies in Halo 2 being able to get stuck/stop bullets

Don't bodies in all Halos block rockets and 'nades but don't always block bullets (at least while in air, pretty sure i've shot people through flying/collapsing bodies in Halo 3 at least. Also died from shooting a flying body... with a rocket launcher)

Madness

You won't be getting equal starts in Destiny.

One of the core features of the game is carrying your character through any game mode with a variety of character/ability/weapon upgrades/customization.

Yeah I know. I'm hoping there would be custom options or playlists where you could set loadouts for everyone ie. Only the pistol can be used in this match etc.

But yeah, I'm going into Destiny with no illusions that it will be what I loved about Halo. I just know, within a month or two, most people will be rocking whatever is the most overpowered combo of character class, weapon etc.

Chettlar

Banned
I will call AI great when it can provide me challenge for years. Otherwise it is stupid AI.

And Halo CE AI is not particularly good really. Compared to other games of its time, it was pretty "good", and it is still better than many newer games' AI... but that doesn't mean it is actually good. Rather, most games have really, really stupid AI.

Halo 2's AI is leagues worse. I have never had an instance of CE's AI (CE and CEA and CE PC) in which the AI just stood around.

In Halo 2 they do it all the time. On legendary it's not much different. They can just turn and hit you easier because they're essentially aimbots. It's absolutely awful.

Also, even if you can argue that CE's AI isn't the best, Mein Gott don't compare it to Halo 4's AI.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Just heard about those rumors about the Master Chief collection.. Needless to say, I'm pretty damn excited about it. My friend sent me this:

rzuByAX.jpg

plsbetrueplsbetrueplsbetrue

lawful

Banned
I know the hot topic is H5 and the HD ports or whatever, but can we just breifly talk about the TV show and movie (digital feature whatever)? They're already saying it won't tie directly to the game which has me worried. I really really really didn't enjoy about 95% of Forward Unto Dawn. I thought it was Dawson's Creek in space. I'm not against making up characters or having human drama, but make it have to do with the lore. I need to care about these characters right? Plus MS and Halo have a big enough wallet to get Spielberg and Ridley Scott then some somewhat known actors wouldn't hurt. Although you can bring that one pale chick with the huge lips back I forget her name. I wouldn't mind that.

Omni

The Banshee AI in this game is super irritating. Being saying it since launch. It's like they've got hax aimbots and not one of their shots ever misses. They're also very aggressive so you literally have like 2 seconds to react to one coming at you before you're dead

Absolutely ruins certain encounters for me. No idea how anyone tested parts of Halo 4 and thought "hey, this is fun"

belushy

Banned
I wonder how they are going to pull off the beginning campaign missions for H5G if Chief really is alone in the wild. Chief has historically been a silent fellow. Maybe we'll get depressed Chief who talks to a non-existent Cortana during the missions.

I expect Chief to get some sort of companion at some point in the game, but I doubt in the first few missions.

She was really good as Katniss.
And Arbiter in 2-3.

As for ADS there's even lore reasons as to why they are a stupid possibility in the next game: Scopes automatically send live feed to the HUDs. Incoming explanation in next novel as to why UNSC has downgraded tech to ADS.

Someone before said CE AI is poor, yet whenever I replay the game I notice Elites doing something different whether it be flanking or avoiding damage in different ways, every play through feels different. Their inability to fight long range may be because of the lack of long range weaponry or just limitations at the time. I think the AI was challenging and fun to play against, something 4 could have used.

tumblr_meq56uA2sp1ro6ejd.gif

This is the best I could do in 10 seconds. That is all my fucks allow for.

Did someone slaps her lips before taking a scene? dem lips

And Arbiter in 2-3.

As for ADS there's even lore reasons as to why they are a stupid possibility in the next game: Scopes automatically send live feed to the HUDs. Incoming explanation in next novel as to why UNSC has downgraded tech to ADS.

Someone before said CE AI is poor, yet whenever I replay the game I notice Elites doing something different whether it be flanking or avoiding damage in different ways, every play through feels different. Their inability to fight long range may be because of the lack of long range weaponry or just limitations at the time. I think the AI was challenging and fun to play against, something 4 could have used.

What about using more the "ADS" in ODST?

Madness

I wonder how they are going to pull off the beginning campaign missions for H5G if Chief really is alone in the wild. Chief has historically been a silent fellow. Maybe we'll get depressed Chief who talks to a non-existent Cortana during the missions.

I expect Chief to get some sort of companion at some point in the game, but I doubt in the first few missions.

Maybe the first mission plays out very much like an ONI double cross and Chief has to escape? That they bring him in for a hearing on Halsey and task him to kill her and he disobey them. Obviously were thinking too far ahead, who knows what the story even is.

lawful

Banned
I remember the last time I ran through CE on legendary I was almost stuck forever on Halo after the first outpost. Of course everyone including Johnson died almost immediately after I showed up. I was on wave 2 or 3 out of 5 and they had chased me out into the field where you end up going to continue the level with the Warthog. All the ammo and health packs (the very few that were left) were all on top of the base structure and there were about 7 elites and various grunts and jackals all in a line formation blocking me from returning to the tower. I had no AR ammo and less than a full magazine for my pistol. They all just stood there too knowing I'd have to come back to progress the game. So they waited and grunted and snarled and made me feel generally somber. Eventually I managed to head shot a grunt and steal his plasma pistol before getting stomped on my the elites. I ran back to beyond their range and did the noob combo with the remaining pistol shots I had. I eventually won and I was really proud of myself. I think if anything, that is a core feature of Halo as a series. The ability to think outside the box and make good on whatever resources you have. For a game that old it's surprising to see how open ended it's combat was even then. Good times.

What about using more the "ADS" in ODST?
My guess is because ODSTs/normal marines are more likely to have their helmet removed in combat or other various situations, most marines using weapons from ODST don't have helmets with HUDs. Therefore ADS are needed for them.
Spartans are rarely seen without their armour and helmet off, therefore don't need ADS.

Even if the ODST thing is used to justify ADS in the next game that's weak.

IHaveIce

Banned
Zealot did I read that right in the other thread?
There is a Palmer defence force on Waypoint?

R/Halo and Waypoint are competing in a never ending race bout which site pisses me off the most

Zealot did I read that right in the other thread?
There is a Palmer defence force on Waypoint?

R/Halo and Waypoint are competing in a never ending race bout which site pisses me off the most
Yep, around 4s launch I went on to discuss things I didn't like, Palmer been one. It just seemed like such a forced defence one was a mod I think (soz ozzy), must have thought I was mindlessly bashing 4. Criticism of the K5 trilogy ended in a larger defence force, they all seemed to have the exact same opinion as well (which surprisingly was that K5 was great and 4 was perfect and that everything in them made sense). Oh well I tend not to go there much anymore, unless I'm looking for info/bulletins. I'm not saying Waypoint as a whole is bad, just the few times I've gone on there to discuss stuff really turned me off the site.

Part of the reason I came to GAF. Although chaotic the conversations are decent, exploding hamburgers been a highlight.

Nirvana

There seem to be a lot of rumoured projects for Halo lately.

Although it would be cool to see them all, I honestly can't believe that if 343 tried to release a remastered collection of Halo CE, 2, 3 and 4, while working on Halo 5 and allegedly being involved in a TV series, we would get high quality across the board.

I would rather they just focused on making a Halo 2 anniversary reboot worthy of the original (and of the Halo CE reboot) and making sure Halo 5 takes a more interesting take on the FPS this time around.

Hopefully Titanfall made enough of an impact with its return to arcade-style gameplay mechanics that we will see a more fast-paced, less armour-ability and killstreak dependent design choice from 343.

maybe we'll get flash backs of Cortana. Halo 3 had those cryptic transmissions, so it wouldn't be crazy for Halo 5 to have master chief hear past advice from Cortana as some sort of a flash back.

Top Bottom