• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

IHaveIce

Banned
Fuck if this is true they don't need an Halo 5 MP.. just give us free maps as dlc with the purchase of Halo 5 for this collection mp thing and I'm in

wwm0nkey

Fuck if this is true they don't need an Halo 5 MP.. just give us free maps as dlc with the purchase of Halo 5 for this collection mp thing and I'm in

which again, I would be totally cool with.

Just let us select our rule sets (which Halo gameplay we want to use) and then send us into MM!

Fuchsdh

I still don't understand why there are 2 Didacts. I tried reading a wiki and it's all super confusing.

Because the Forerunners needed the Didact, and with the original gone the guy with the impression of the Didact in his head was the next best thing. Essentially.

TheOddOne

It would be a smart move to prevent fragmenting the playerbase. On the flipside, they could offer weekly or monthly gameplay style rotation; for example one month full on Halo 2 settings and the next month Halo 3. Could be used as test bed to gauge player reaction and influence future playlist and/or games.

wwm0nkey

It would be a smart move to prevent fragmenting the playerbase. On the flipside, they could offer weekly or monthly gameplay style rotation; for example one month full on Halo 2 settings and the next month Halo 3. Could be used as test bed to gauge player reaction and influence future playlist and/or games.

Also full access to the games settings so MLG can have a field day of hating each other lol

gAg CruSh3r

Maybe they will have play list accounting to which Halo game you want to play. They can find out which playlist gets played the most.

Halo 3
-Team Slayer
-BTB
-Social Team Slayer
-Griff Ball

Halo 2
-Team Slayer
-BTB
And so on.

TheOddOne

Also full access to the games settings so MLG can have a field day of hating each other lol
If it really is like that, then they are basically saying “You guys figure it out”.

Ultimate bloodbath commences. /343 designers watching everybody tear everybody a new one.

Maybe they will have play list accounting to which Halo game you want to play. They can find out which playlist gets played the most.

Halo 3
-Team Slayer
-BTB
-Social Team Slayer
-Griff Ball

Halo 2
-Team Slayer
-BTB
And so on.
Possible, but still causes too much playerbase fragmentation.

wwm0nkey

If it really is like that, then they are basically saying “You guys figure it out”.

Ultimate bloodbath commences. /343 designers watching everybody tear everybody a new one.

Well if we hear 343 bought truck loads of popcorn or Frankie complains about popcorn stuck in his teeth then I guess we will know its legit lol.

Best thing to do for this if true is have you join the main MP lobby, select Matchmaking then select what gameplay style you want (1-4) and then whatever gametype you want. Maybe even have shared maps across all games if possible.

Then when Halo 5 comes out just add that into the rotation, then you have a Halo game that will never ever die.

This also could be the "cool thing" ntkrnl was talking about for H2A MP?

Havok

Halo 3
-Team Slayer
-BTB
-Social Team Slayer
-Griff Ball

Halo 2
-Team Slayer
-BTB
And so on.
Things brings back traumatic memories of the ultra-scientific polling mechanism they had in place for the Reach TU, where rifles gametypes on one patch were up against AR start gametypes on another in one voting round and that was somehow supposed to be a vote that mattered one way or the other. I don't really know how much faith I have in their telemetry, historically. I mean...the actual, sincere takeaway from their poll was "people like both things," which....what? Also, the idea that one game on a relatively tiny install base could support at that point 15+ playlists if you're including the core lists from each game is just not realistic.
If I'm reading this right and it's a global changeover, it sounds like a really quick way to lose a chunk of players by saying "This month the game you bought is one of the Halo games you don't like - see you next month maybe!" Maybe it would be awesome, but I know there would be months that I would just check out totally. Useful for getting an idea of player preferences, but not so much for building goodwill, I think.

Booshka

I have a feeling a lot less people would really put in the time into Halo 2 MP rather than Halo 3. Probably get rekt by some of the Tryhard Veterans that have BXR, Double shots, strafing, etc, drilled into their hands and heads after 100s of hours of MP back in the day. Would most likely just go back to Halo 3 MP if there was an option.

Don't most players like Halo 3 BTB more than Halo 2 BTB as well?

TheOddOne

If I'm reading this right and it's a global changeover, it sounds like a really quick way to lose a chunk of players by saying "This month the game you bought is one of the Halo games you don't like - see you next month maybe!" Maybe it would be awesome, but I know there would be months that I would just check out totally. Useful for getting an idea of player preferences, but not so much for building goodwill, I think.
Good point and agree. I do think they will do it though, because it looks good as a Halo Bulletin update and will mostly get some press coverage.

What happens?

blablabla the good guys saves the day blablabla Last pages featuring an intanct SoF being in a unknown space spector being still funtional and looking for help most importan the last page showing all the cryotubes were opened and there is a small flood spore wandering around the cryotubes while the alarm is set to evacuate.

And Palmer have a bigger vag plate redesign for her,,, hummm lower part

One question: Who the heck is going to vote to play Halo 3 or Halo 4 CTF over Halo 2 CTF? The same goes for other gametypes that have been in each game. Halo 2 was the GOAT for Objectives.

Super Microsoft Bros.

It can work.

Halo
Conker
Banjo Kazooie
Gears
Kameo
Perfect Dark
KI
Sunset over drive

just what is off the top of my head for characters

FyreWulff

Was chatting with Barlow a couple of days ago. We thought it'd make sense if the multiplayer was actually split out on the One to some neutral Halo Infinity thing, so in that context just porting the Halo 2 / 3 / 4 maps to some sort of Halo: Infinity would make sense. Then you'd buy Halo 5: Guardians, and it gives you it's maps and campaign. Then you buy whatever game comes after, and it just adds maps to Halo Infinity, etc etc

In that context, it'd be perfectly feasible to just make every gun from every game included, and handle it all via Forge/Gametypes.

I mean, technically in Reach they could have just put the actual Halo 1 Pistol in the map files for Anniversary, then made a special gametype to let you spawn with it. Would have had the original look and HUD and clip size, and as it turned out, they weren't interested in using the Anni gametypes outside of Anni maps, so it would have been the same effect.

Downside would be masssssive quitting if you tried to make it so it was something like you choose the games/gametypes as one vote, people would ragequit for Haloes they didn't want to play, so you'd have considerable number of playlists trying to please fans of 3 different games.

Halo
Conker
Banjo Kazooie
Gears
Kameo
Perfect Dark
KI
Sunset over drive
How dare you forget about Battletoads..

just what is off the top of my head for characters
Been typing out a thread for this very thing, so if anyone who knows how to draw or create mock-ups and wants to get involved, shoot me a PM. A lot of people have this mentality of "B-But Microsoft has NOTHING," when in reality they have a good selection of characters to choose from.

The main reason why PSASBR flopped was due to crappy gameplay mechanics in a game that was ripping off Smash. How the heck are you going to copy a game and not ripoff what makes that core gameplay formula special? I've said this many times in other threads, but if that game played like Smash, I would've been ALL over it, and I can say the same for at least 10 other people, and I'm sure those 10 people can name friends of their own, and that's how word spreads like wildfire. We've all experienced it with many games; games that spawn far more successful (commercially at least) sequels too. Could have been the same for PSASBR if the gameplay was like Smash.

So at the end of the day, gameplay > all. Not to mention, Smash 64 released with 12 characters and Melee has less than 30. Microsoft can definitely make it happen.
I mean, technically in Reach they could have just put the actual Halo 1 Pistol in the map files for Anniversary, then made a special gametype to let you spawn with it. Would have had the original look and HUD and clip size, and as it turned out, they weren't interested in using the Anni gametypes outside of Anni maps, so it would have been the same effect.
The burns never end..

That being said, I really hope the next Halo multiplayer is like this though. A collection of Halo's greatest and then building on top of that.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I have a feeling a lot less people would really put in the time into Halo 2 MP rather than Halo 3. Probably get rekt by some of the Tryhard Veterans that have BXR, Double shots, strafing, etc, drilled into their hands and heads after 100s of hours of MP back in the day. Would most likely just go back to Halo 3 MP if there was an option.

Don't most players like Halo 3 BTB more than Halo 2 BTB as well?

You rang?

I think all this talk about options is so misguided as I've said before. Technically speaking, all these rumors have no basis -- you can't just swap rule-sets from different Halo's with different map suites (there's nuances unaccounted for that are engine specific.) What matchmaking system do you use? How do you provide the selection of things people expect without making concessions (you can't just present every single thing and let people choose, that unprecedented and for good reason.)?

It's never going to happen, it makes zero sense to segment or pit previous Halo games concurrently against each other. The only possible thing that could happen that isn't H2A being released solely, is that they make a neutral bastardized Halo, taking things from every Halo to serve as a separate multiplayer subscription service accessed from Waypoint to be sold separately or in conjunction with a retail campaign Halo.

Fuchsdh

One simple line could have made that scene so much less stupid.

I always thought it was really straightforward and should be obvious to people, but then once I went back and rewatched the scene, I realized that their shields never crackle or anything that would give that indication. Just compounds the random happenstance of the Elite just parked there to make a single shot and bug out.

I always thought it was really straightforward and should be obvious to people, but then once I went back and rewatched the scene, I realized that their shields never crackle or anything that would give that indication. Just compounds the random happenstance of the Elite just parked there to make a single shot and bug out.

Well you didnt know they had the shields activated till you shoot at them so....also I didnt noticed how kat missed the elevator due her nerviosism.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What the fuck is up with Halo Escalation?

Official Description of #6 said:
The saga of Halo Wars enters the modern age as Infinity struggles to liberate the long-lost Spirit of Fire from the deadly Vata ’Gajat. Meanwhile, Petra’s search for the identity of Infinity’s spy could result in her death. The Halo universe is on the brink of a new galactic war!

WTF is this? #6 Features Team Palmer palmering the human rebels and Palmering the Infinity from their clutches. Hood gets beat up and blames himself for Halo Wars. Twice.

Then with see the Spirit of Fire. The end.

So where was the Infinity liberating the SOF?
Where was Gajat holding the SOF?
Petra's search?
Brink of Galactic war?
The cover has nothing to do with... ANYTHING?

Jesus H Christ, none of the shit advertised was in the damm thing.

So is Spirit of Fire and It's spartan Complement back with UNSC troops now?

Is the AI dead/rampant/still hot?
Is old man cutter dead or?
Did they magically get forge back? he was cool
Does anyone care?

What the fuck is up with Halo Escalation?

WTF is this? #6 Features Team Palmer palmering the human rebels and Palmering the Infinity from their clutches. Hood gets beat up and repeats himself about blaming himself for Halo Wars. Twice.

Then with see the Spirit of Fire. The end.

So where was the Infinity liberating the SOF?
Where was Gajat holding the SOF?
Petra's search?
Brink of Galactic war?

Jesus H Christ, none of the shit advertised was in the damm thing.
50183656.jpg

also this Hood is a remnant of Karen Traviss' writing.

Mistel

Banned
blablabla the good guys saves the day blablabla Last pages featuring an intanct SoF being in a unknown space spector being still funtional and looking for help most importan the last page showing all the cryotubes were opened and there is a small flood spore wandering around the cryotubes while the alarm is set to evacuate.

And Palmer have a bigger vag plate redesign for her,,, hummm lower part
That's interesting about the SOF that twist seems kinda obvious though but oh well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So who is responsible for the shitty state of Escalation? Dark Horse or 343?

When you're slipping well below the quality bar of fan content, you got serious issues.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Essentially, the product is misleading. Misleading cover, misleading description.

I mean, if you can't even describe your own product accurately, why even bother?

Takashi

I get they're trying to expand the universe aside from the games, but I hope these stories are self contained. They better not be absolutely essential to understand shit in Halo 5.

I get they're trying to expand the universe aside from the games, but I hope these stories are self contained. They better not be absolutely essential to understand shit in Halo 5.

and if they are essential? it wont change shit. im tired of this line of thinking. "oh i dont wanna read 'X' so i hope it has nothing to do with the games".

play the game and if you have a question about anything just use Halopedia

and if they are essential? it wont change shit. im tired of this line of thinking. "oh i dont wanna read 'X' so i hope it has nothing to do with the games"

Mass Effect did it pretty well. The have expanded universe content similar to Halo and Gears but it's all just a way of fleshing things out and telling other tales and events stories.

Halo 4 you need a companion wiki too understand.

Got my PAX badges secured, so really hoping that 343 has an extra big presence this year with the rumored lineup coming.

I'll hazard a guess at first time Halo 2:A MP will be playable by the community on a large scale.

Takashi

and if they are essential? it wont change shit. im tired of this line of thinking. "oh i dont wanna read 'X' so i hope it has nothing to do with the games"

So you were ok with the Halo 4 Didact then? Whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Yeah I know. I'd look that shit up if that were to happen, but it would make more sense to just add some of that shit in the games too.

Essentially, the product is misleading. Misleading cover, misleading description.

I mean, if you can't even describe your own product accurately, why even bother?
"Lets slap a Sparth concept art that has nothing to do with the main story of the comic and throw some gibberish on the back of the description which will make these nerds like Slightly Live rage on the internetz" - 313 Indostrys

I was looking forward to this comic, but Idk how to feel about it now if this is true...

Yeah i was okay with it, because i read the fucking books.

This isn't intended to be an attack on yourself at all.

But

Get off your high horse, just because you're more nerdy and managed to slog through some bland books about expanded media doesn't mean everyone should. A games story should be able to stand on it's own. Introduce new villains and characters and explain them competently without forcing users to go anywhere else.

Precious little is explained in Halo 4, It was a problem. 343i even acknowledged it I believe.

All this expanded media is great, I love shit like that but if the new boxart spartan from Halo 5 is a left over member of Spartan Team Black or turns out to be Spartan Cassandra mentioned once in a throw away book contained in only certain copies of H2 you can't expect people to not be pissed if 343i didn't explain the backstory up front.

No other form of media makes you go and learn 9 books of content before you can enjoy it.

Marvel Cinema is a prime example of doing it right, New character who didn't have his own movie in The Hulk and they spent a good portion of Avengers introducing him.

Gears 3 brought in Adam Fenix and heavily expanded upon his character in the game.

Top Bottom