• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
You mean aside from the fact that that accurately describes 90% of the Multiplayer Environments from the past 2 Halo games ?

I can't recall a single Halo MP map with broken girders and steel framework. Some industrial like areas, sure, but that's it. EDIT, wait actually, did Exile have broken support structures or some such? All i remember is green. Odd. I have usually very good visual memory but Halo MP maps are kind of foggy in my memory.
EDIT perhaps there is strong kinesthetic element in these memories, i remember how things look when i play, but otherwise they kind fade?

Also, the collection is more about the Chief and the Halo story, so something more Halo-y would be fitting. Like having an actual Halo on the background.

Nebula

I can't recall a single Halo MP map with broken girders and steel framework. Some industrial like areas, sure, but that's it. EDIT, wait actually, did Exile have broken support structures or some such? All i remember is green. Odd. I have usually very good visual memory but Halo MP maps are kind of foggy in my memory.
EDIT perhaps there is strong kinesthetic element in these memories, i remember how things look when i play, but otherwise they kind fade?

Also, the collection is more about the Chief and the Halo story, so something more Halo-y would be fitting. Like having an actual Halo on the background.

Reach Jet Pack sequence with ODSTs?

Woorloog

Banned
The campaign though? I personally find Reach and ODST's campaigns right up there as the best with H:CE.

I can't stand Reach's campaign. I once wrote a long list what i found wrong it.
Compressed version: Just about everything.
EDIT this does partially stem from the fact my expectations were very different. I expected something darker with personal, edgy story that makes sense, but all i got was a bad Halo (that is objectively pretty good game) with really meh story and didn't feel particularly dark, just filled with retcons and nonsense.

Competa

Banned
Your Halo 2014 journey begins here

A8IatRY.gif

wait is halsey missing her arm??

8xT0pPD.png

Haven't you guys seen the Spartan ops episodes?

Takashi

Damn good montage

Dude. So great. This is the type of montage that I enjoy. Not these over-edited, over-produced, snooze fests.

#NeverForget #TheLeaf

I never understood how people could like that crap. "You want to see awesome gameplay? Ok here's dubstep, tons of zoom, and kool FX"

Woorloog

Banned
The ideal trailer, in my opinion, consist nothing but pure, un-edited gameplay by skilled player on high difficulty. For a shooter.
There are exceptions: the new Wolfenstein's trailers were pretty nice, and a cinematic trailer done right is wonderful.

I think this also applies to montages. Just show the pure stuff, adding some reasonable music is okay.
Editing a montage and adding stuff to it is okay it is done carefully, so that these things enhance it. Usually they hurt them, i think.

The ideal trailer, in my opinion, consist nothing but pure, un-edited gameplay by skilled player on high difficulty. For a shooter.
There are exceptions: the new Wolfenstein's trailers were pretty nice, and a cinematic trailer done right is wonderful.

I think this also applies to montages. Just show the pure stuff, adding some reasonable music is okay.
Editing a montage and adding stuff to it is okay it is done carefully, so that these things enhance it. Usually they hurt them, i think.

Been saying it forever but.

The perfect way to reveal Halo 5 fully at E3 would be to make it a focus of the presser, Get a few Pro's like Ninja and Pistola and some old legends like Ogres to come in house at 343i to play the game for a week or something.

Show of Halo 5 Campaign in a similar way to Halo 4 reveal but maybe a bit shorter then bring the Pro's out to do a 4v4 to 25 kills or something on a new map showcasing High level gameplay with a cash prize of a couple of K to make them compete.

Sure it's flashy and expensive and it would take up some time but man, you show how competitive Halo can be on a big stage like that livestreaming to the gaming world... It could be fucking huge

Maybe even work some exclusive MLG deal out and get it commentated.

Push Xbox and Halo as eSports and you can get the core interested.

Fuchsdh

I find montages pretty boring in general, frankly (and I say that as a guy who's made one!)

But from a practical standpoint, the more you edit your montage, the more you get in the way of what is ostensibly the point of the montage, and the less power each edit has. A rapid-fire cut of noscopes is effective only if you haven't been cutting every two seconds before that for three minutes.

Woorloog

Banned
I can see the appeal of that.

EDIT The only montage i remember actually liking was that HaloGAF montage. Biased of course. But still. I'm not the spectator type, don't really care about watching others playing.

EDIT i find this odd. I'm kind of competitive person even though i insist i'm not. I play to win, and depending on my mood, i may push myself very strongly. But esports as a whole... they hold zero interest for me. But perhaps this "competitive/not interested in watching competition" isn't uncommon?
EDIT i also digress too much, especially if it is musings about psychology.

Takashi

i find this odd. I'm kind of competitive person even though i insist i'm not. I play to win, and depending on my mood, i may push myself very strongly. But esports as a whole... they hold zero interest for me. But perhaps this "competitive/not interested in watching competition" isn't uncommon?

No I'm the same way. It's just human nature to be competitive.

And it's not that I hate esports, I just don't actively follow it or keep up with it. I hope it succeeds though in regards to Halo, if that means it could spur a change in gameplay to something more competitive, away from what we got in the last two titles.

I've been playing Halo 3 and 4 quiet a bit recently, Really getting back into that Halo vibe.

Just went to pop in Halo Reach (after that montage) and my disc won't read. :(

Anyone know if the Games on Demand version is on sale anywhere. Don't really feel like paying £20 to play a game I've already bought.

Chettlar

Banned
I've been playing Halo 3 and 4 quiet a bit recently, Really getting back into that Halo vibe.

Just went to pop in Halo Reach (after that montage) and my disc won't read. :(

Anyone know if the Games on Demand version is on sale anywhere. Don't really feel like paying £20 to play a game I've already bought.

Man, it was $7 a month or so ago on GoD. Before that it was only a month or so. I've been seeing it fairly often-ish comparatively.

But there's really no saying when.

Anybody know if ODST has ever actually been on sale? I don't know that I've seen that. I'd like to get it though. Loving having all the Halo's digitally.

Except CEA which is physical-only for absolutely no reason!!!
that's good enough to make me less mad.

According to Nirolak we cannot discuss New E3 info in pre-e3 threads? or is that just for gaming side?

What does that even mean? Link?

As far as I know, they're just trying to cut down on E3 hype threads completely. Haven't explain why, to my knowledge.

Man, it was $7 a month or so ago on GoD. Before that it was only a month or so. I've been seeing it fairly often-ish comparatively.

Anybody know if ODST has ever actually been on sale? I don't know that I've seen that. I'd like to get it though. Loving having all the Halo's digitally.

I believe ODST Campaign was on sale during one of the Gold Mega Sales periods.

According to Nirolak we cannot discuss New E3 info in pre-e3 threads? or is that just for gaming side?

I'd get clarification from Ghaleon but I don't think it will be an issue here. I think it's mainly to keep gaming side info flowing. This is a community section and we do at times go off topic for a bit, If it's civil and relevant and not spammy. I personally don't see any problem but again ask Ghal.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Been saying it forever but.

The perfect way to reveal Halo 5 fully at E3 would be to make it a focus of the presser, Get a few Pro's like Ninja and Pistola and some old legends like Ogres to come in house at 343i to play the game for a week or something.

Show of Halo 5 Campaign in a similar way to Halo 4 reveal but maybe a bit shorter then bring the Pro's out to do a 4v4 to 25 kills or something on a new map showcasing High level gameplay with a cash prize of a couple of K to make them compete.

Sure it's flashy and expensive and it would take up some time but man, you show how competitive Halo can be on a big stage like that livestreaming to the gaming world... It could be fucking huge

Maybe even work some exclusive MLG deal out and get it commentated.

Push Xbox and Halo as eSports and you can get the core interested.

I feel like you're preaching to the (smallest) choir. Myself included.

Chettlar

Banned
I believe ODST Campaign was on sale during one of the Gold Mega Sales periods.

When are those? I really want to get ODST, but I'd rather wait for a sale.

EDIT: wait what?! "Deal of the Week is now Deals with Gold"

I mean, now I have gold but WTF.

New name. New look. Same great deals. As an Xbox Live Gold member, you get discounts on select content each week. With your favorite content going on sale each week just imagine how much you can save! If you're already a Gold member, grab this week’s deal right here, right now.

Bullshit. These are only deals to people with Gold. Someone made a thread about this?

What does that even mean? Link?

As far as I know, they're just trying to cut down on E3 hype threads completely. Haven't explain why, to my knowledge.

its in the pinned post on gaming side. and the hype threads need to not exist so GAF doesnt implode during E3

Well, considering the thread was supposed to be locked until E3, it really doesn't make a difference if you do or don't talk about whatever you want.

Semantics really. THe Halo OT thread was locked but the Halo 4 OT just became the Halo OT because of the leaks and things. but yeah i see the logic.

Blueblur1

What Nirolak wrote means that if there's new news then discuss it in a new thread. Don't bury it in an old thread and keep that old thread going. Basically what's been going on with Smash and Mario Kart threads. They don't want that to continue during E3 (which makes sense). So if there's new Halo 5 someone should make a new Halo 5 thread and discuss it only in that thread.

m23

When are those? I really want to get ODST, but I'd rather wait for a sale.

EDIT: wait what?! "Deal of the Week is now Deals with Gold"

I mean, now I have gold but WTF.

Bullshit. These are only deals to people with Gold. Someone made a thread about this?

Pretty sure most sales have been for gold members only for a long time now.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/00/00ddce11eb42d72fd22ab4b7d9875eea4419fd39916dbe8dd946dfe8558ec180.jpg[IMG]

Ha. Guess it wasn't that funny, but I really am getting a Wii U. Halo 4. Wooo!![/QUOTE]
Add me, UNKNOWN-iXi

Mario Kart is almost here ;]
[quote="Karl2177, post: 113679307"]Well, considering the thread was supposed to be locked until E3, it really doesn't make a difference if you do or don't talk about whatever you want.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m706mac9xI1qfqcmfo1_400.gif

Chettlar

Banned
Pretty sure most sales have been for gold members only for a long time now.

There were deals with gold AND deals of the week. We've always had deals with gold happen every once in a while.

Deals of the week were always available to everybody, with sometimes a few of them locked to gold users.

Now they's just combined deals with gold and deals of the week to essentially be "Deals with Gold of the Week."

So now normal silver members don't get the weekly deals we've been getting. Bullshit. I am really upset right now.

Kibbles

No it sounds like he's just saying when E3 comes around not to bump a pre e3 thread with news, you must post in an e3 thread or create a new thread.

3.) Do not post new news from E3 in a pre-E3 thread. Either make a new thread, or pick an existing thread made during E3.

Sofa King

There were deals with gold AND deals of the week. We've always had deals with gold happen every once in a while.

Deals of the week were always available to everybody, with sometimes a few of them locked to gold users.

Now they's just combined deals with gold and deals of the week to essentially be "Deals with Gold of the Week."

So now normal silver members don't get the weekly deals we've been getting. Bullshit. I am really upset right now.

I don't get the outrage. MS is improving what a gold account is worth by giving away games on 2 systems, and as an added bonus you can buy cheap games also. It's rewarding someone who buys into the community. It is in their best interest to fully embrace their gold members, because the larger install base, the more profit/market share they enjoy.

Crossposting my minimalist sandbox suggestion from H5OT:

It uses Combat Evolved as a reference point while taking a couple good things from future titles.

Loadout Weapons
Battle Rifle / Magnum
Occupy the same role as a starting precision weapon with identical kill times and similar ammo capacity. Major difference is the Battle Rifle's three-shot burst and the Magnum's single-round firing with the ability to auto-fire.

Assault Rifle / Plasma Rifle
More similar than usual, both have near-identical kill times, with the difference of a 2:1 damage ratio with regards to shields:health. AR is better against health while Plasma Rifle is good against shielding. AR has a higher ammo capacity, while the Plasma Rifle can elicit stun / brief biped slowdown on targets with sustained fire.

Mid-Tier Weapons
Light Rifle
Now an on-map pickup with the role the DMR tried and failed to achieve. Can perform a four-shot kill zoomed in, five-shot zoomed out. Precision weapon specifically designed to suppress snipers and prevent them from dominating the landscape.

Carbine
Aggressive precision weapon designed to be just as effective at close ranges as midrange, in contrast to the other precision weapons. Can potentially be anti-BR-Magnum-Light Rifle. Seven-shot kill.

Plasma Pistol
Similar to the Reach Beta variant; individual bolts are fairly powerful and the overcharged shot has minor AOE damage and the ability to kill purely health targets.

Needler
A flashy map control weapon designed to help even the playing field against targets not making ample use of strafing. Shots travel faster and somewhat more accurately than previous titles when not locked on, providing a pseudo-Needle Rifle function sans scope. Un-homed shots will supercombine when three impact an unshielded target, but actually pulling it off is easier said than done. Homing shots do more damage and provide the classic supercombine in seven rounds.

Grenade Launcher
Reach variation; alt-fire mode provides an EMP effect. Sister midtier to the Plasma Pistol.

Railgun
Roughly 50% larger blast radius and knockback, with the current damage parameters spread evenly throughout. Good for screwing with enemy movements and flipping vehicles; sister midtier to the Needler.

Power Weapons
Shotgun
Combat Evolved variation; good for softening up distant groups or tearing apart enemies at close range. The Shotgun's spread is increased with the damage spread out accordingly, at the cost of a reduced ammo capacity. Deliberately meant to be a crowd-control weapon this time around, with the intent of softening up multiple targets at once before switching to a more precise weapon. You basically have to be Halo 2 levels of close to one-shot somebody. Headshots do slightly more damage.

Energy Sword
A more personal, one-on-one oriented close range weapon. Hitboxes actually apply to the entire swing now, and can hit multiple targets if they're all in said hitbox with no limit to biped penetration similar to Sniper headshots. Will explode like a weaker Plasma Grenade when the user is killed with the Sword out like in CE, making it the weapon of a zealot or martyr. If the user has it "pocketed," however, it will not dissipate when killed.

Rocket Launcher
Halo 4 variation with slower rockets, but substantial blast radius. Can lock on to air units after a brief warmup period.

Plasma Launcher
Not only designed to be the definitive vehicle-chaser, but anti-turtling. If enemies are bunched up, the four bolts will deliberately target different enemies rather than following a single vector. The more Big Team-oriented explosive sister weapon to the Rocket Launcher.

Sniper Rifle
Not really much to say; fairly low aim assist, four rounds per clip, the usual. 5x and 10x scopes.

Beam Rifle
Overhauled to a degree to provide a different sniping experience; basically a battery-powered CE Magnum on steroids. Has 2x and 8x scopes. Is now a four-shot kill (body), but with an extremely efficient battery as long as shots are paced correctly. Headshots are a two-shot kill. An average player will probably take about as long with a kill as they would a Battle Rifle or Magnum. A player dedicated to memorizing the four-shot pace (and thus not overheating the gun) can potentially rip someone to shreds about three times faster than the double body shot kill with the Sniper. Overheats eat up significant battery, though.

By the way, lore question for Frankie: so, the Forerunners dumped a solute in the atmospheres of all the planets that would be affected by the Halo Array firing that would cause all the organisms affected to harmlessly vaporize to prevent an ecological miasma on a galactic scale. Did they use some variation of this weird vaporizing tech for the derezzing / Composing mechanic in their firearms, just some kind of energetically charged corruption of it? I figure the Promethean firearms probably aren't Composing their victims as "delicately" as the Composer itself would so much as straight-up vaporizing them.

Enfinit

This is completely off-topic, but I was approached today about how many connections I have via LinkedIn. Apparently I need more (like I give a shit).

Regardless, if any HaloGAF member wants to connect via LinkedIn, message me or whatever. I trust you guys.

Also, LinkedIn keeps requesting that I connect with ncsuDuncan, which is really bizarre and baffles me how they related the two of us. We have nothing in common except for HaloGAF. The Internet man, full of weirds.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Crossposting my minimalist sandbox suggestion from H5OT:

Where's the tube... :/

edit- Nvm, I'm an idiot. I really like the list.

You mean the Sticky Det? It's out for a reason. Plasma Rifle slowdown notwithstanding because it's basically "shot-while-sprinting" slowdown relegated to a single weapon, I'm not a huge fan of defensive or otherwise momentum-killing weapons because they slow down encounters. Bubble Shields, Regens, Sticky Dets, whatever. I wouldn't mind some kind of sticky mine weapon like the Trip Mine, but the difference there is that you're still free to shoot. In the event that you leave a Sticky Det grenade plopped on something and you have no other weapon or it's out of ammo, you're more likely to hunker down in some defensive pocket and hope something winds up in your crosshairs than you are actively searching for a different weapon because you want that short-term high of "Awesome, some blind kid walked into my trap!" instead of running and gunning like you would with, say, the Grenade Launcher.

Lel.

Where's the tube... :/

You mean the Sticky Det? It's out for a reason. Plasma Rifle slowdown notwithstanding because it's basically "shot-while-sprinting" slowdown relegated to a single weapon, I'm not a huge fan of defensive or otherwise momentum-killing weapons because they slow down encounters. Bubble Shields, Regens, Sticky Dets, whatever. I wouldn't mind some kind of sticky mine weapon like the Trip Mine, but the difference there is that you're still free to shoot. In the event that you leave a Sticky Det grenade plopped on something and you have no other weapon or it's out of ammo, you're more likely to hunker down in some defensive pocket and hope something winds up in your crosshairs than you are actively searching for a different weapon because you want that short-term high of "Awesome, some blind kid walked into my trap!" instead of running and gunning like you would with, say, the Grenade Launcher.

Top Bottom