• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

I can't tell if this is a serious post.

lol.

It's a serious post. Halo 2 is not some mystical thing that can't be replicated. I honestly don't see why it would be a bad thing if they just redone it in the Halo 4 engine.. Sure there are certain sandbox tidbits you'd have to account for, but again, not impossible. And because they don't have to worry about the multiplayer being played on default Halo 4 maps since they won't be porting those over, they could extensively replicate it (Unlike Reach Anniversary). They could bring the updated weapon models from campaign into the multiplayer map files and make them behave just as they did in Halo 2. Sprint, AAs and perks would be turned off entirely.

And then you have all the benefits of Halo 4's engine such as cosmetic player customisation, theatre, 10 years of graphical enhancements and whatever else

I feel like I'm just misinterpreting what people are talking about at this stage however.

It's a serious post. Halo 2 is not some mystical thing that can't be replicated. I honestly don't see why it would be a bad thing if they just redone it in the Halo 4 engine.. Sure there are certain sandbox tidbits you'd have to account for, but again, not impossible. And because they don't have to worry about the multiplayer being played on default Halo 4 maps since they won't be porting those over, they could extensively replicate it (Unlike Reach Anniversary). They could bring the updated weapon models from campaign into the multiplayer map files and make them behave just as they did in Halo 2. Sprint, AAs and perks would be turned off entirely.

And then you have all the benefits of Halo 4's engine such as cosmetic player customisation, theatre, 10 years of graphical enhancements and whatever else

I feel like I'm just misinterpreting what people are talking about at this stage however.

The issues for me are:
1. Why would they bring CE/A, 3 & 4 to the 360 when they're on it already? So is Reach but that is left out of collection speculation.

2. Ignoring 360 install base in favour of X1 sales we're to expect full individual game engines, models, AI, designs, networking updates, fixes, patches and more?

3. Similar to your speculation about 4's engine it seems more plausible for some campaign or multi to be mashed up to the new X1 Halo engine.

Again the more I think about collection the more questions than answers I can raise. I still put my guess on a new spin off game over all remakes.

Computron

There isn't separate wireless and wired controllers for the Xbone. If you plug in the mini USB to USB cable is starts playing through the USB connection.

Right, but it would be slick if there was a tiny usb wireless adapter you could use, or hell, if it's really just standard old WiDi, then use that.

(Although, I was under the impression they were doing something proprietary for reduced latency.)

I would love to use it wirelessly through something like this:
header-wna1000m-3-4top1-photo-large.png

Right, but it would be slick if there was a tiny usb wireless adapter you could use, or hell, if it's really just standard old WiDi, then use that.

(Although, I was under the impression they were doing something proprietary for reduced latency.)

I would love to use it wirelessly through something like this:
header-wna1000m-3-4top1-photo-large.png

objectively Wired controllers are better than wireless controllers. but a way to use a wireless controller on my PC without that shitty dongle would be heavenly.

What makes you think 343 would do anything other than remove sprint if it was just a map pack for Halo 4? The CE pistol in CEA's settings was incredibly poorly implemented and that was the extent of classic settings for that. All I want is to play Halo 2 again, not play remakes with butchered settings in the game that killed my enjoyment of franchise.

Fuchsdh

Going to want to get some Halo in tonight before I move and have to set up FIOS at my new place... Any Halo is good Halo, so if you're on let's play.

Can't wait until June... WWDC and E3 together are awesome. Plus GAF won't crash with WWDC :)

BigShow36

I can't tell if Halo 2 fanboys are going to be appalled at how much aim assist there actually is in Halo 2 when they replay it, or if that's what they want out of a Halo game.

Mix

Guys, there is now exactly 10 days to go. Are you excited yet?
So, besides Halo, what is everyone looking forward to? Xbox and Playstation alike
none of that Wii U shit

willow ve

Serious question: If they try to build H2A (or other Halo games) in the Halo 4 or 5 engine how do they account for drastically different gameplay mechanics?

Take for instance flag running in H2/H3. Can that even be accomplished in the H4 engine? Or what about slide jumps (or even super bounces)? What about picking up grenades without needing a perk? Where is the assault gametype? Dual wielding?

I truly believe that we're getting some sort of Halo Map Collection that folds into H4 or 5. It might even have a "H2" settings in it, but that's as far as I can see this going. Anything more than that is a genuine full remake of a game that had button combos, sword lunge glitch, and swipe sniping.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I haven't been keeping up with things for the past several days. Anything new on the H2A/H5G front? The last thing I seen, was the pic from 343 playing with their 4 shots. Anything else come after that?

I can't tell if Halo 2 fanboys are going to be appalled at how much aim assist there actually is in Halo 2 when they replay it, or if that's what they want out of a Halo game.
People shit on Halo 4's easier aiming, yet we're seeing how many people want an exact remake of Halo 2. It's pretty frikkin funny honestly, and CE fans are the ones who get dumped on for being overly "nostalgic" lol, while we sit here hoping for something similar.
So, besides Halo, what is everyone looking forward to? Xbox and Playstation alike
none of that Wii U shit
Xbox, just about everything. The IP's they're s
h
itting on has me excited to see if anything gets revealed, like Banjo Threeie (I would collapse). PlayStation.. meh. I'm excited to see if they can get me excited with some surprises; we don't really know much of what they're going to show, after all. And Nintendo, just about everything.

How dare you insult the hype that will be SMASH?!

Mix

I haven't been keeping up with things for the past several days. Anything new on the H2A/H5G front? The last thing I seen, was the pic from 343 playing with their 4 shots. Anything else come after that?

nah, dude. With one more bulletin before E3, you can expect general teases, but nothing more until the big day.

Booshka

Well sounds like a ton of people think Halo 4 has great "core mechanics" so I would presume so. Both of them have a ton of aim assist, so I guess Halo 4 could replicate Halo 2 pretty well in that respect.

belushy

Banned
none of that Wii U shit

I just want to see what everyone throws at us. EA, Sony, 2k, Microsoft.. I feel like everyone is going to have a killer event. I'm probably going to be even more on the fence than I was before.

BigShow36

I would hope that is one of the things 343 changes.

If they did, I would actually be excited about H2A. Of course, hoping that Bungie or 343 would only change the aim assist is a pretty huge stretch. I image they will either change nothing except updating the graphics or it will be Halo 2 "gameplay" built on the Halo 4 engine (ala Halo CEA).

Well sounds like a ton of people think Halo 4 has great "core mechanics" so I would presume so.

Which is pretty laughable; the core mechanics are what have ruined the past several halo games. I can live with superfluous garbage like loadouts and ordnance if the core mechanics were skillful, but they aren't. The fact that people think Halo 3 and Reach and 4 have great core mechanics is one of several factors that lead me to completely give up hope for any future Halo game.

aj1467

Going to want to get some Halo in tonight before I move and have to set up FIOS at my new place... Any Halo is good Halo, so if you're on let's play.

Can't wait until June... WWDC and E3 together are awesome. Plus GAF won't crash with WWDC :)
Add me and I'll come play if I see you on later!

GT: Menachite69

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
nah, dude. With one more bulletin before E3, you can expect general teases, but nothing more until the big day.

Yeah, I kinda figured we wouldn't get anymore big drops, just little teases. E3 can't come soon enough. I haven't been this excited for Halo since pre-H3 launch.

Havoc2049

none of that Wii U shit

As for next gen consoles, I don't own a PS4, so mainly just XB1 exclusives and new announcements.
-Halo
-Quantum Break info
-See if the rumors of Phantom Dust II are true.
-See what kind of exclusives Microsoft locks down out of Japan.
-See if Rare announces something cool.
-More Fable Legends info.
-Something out of Microsoft's past would be cool, such as Crimson Skies, MechAssault, Starlancer, maybe a Battletech RPG (probably dreaming there).

PC:
-Shroud of the Avatar (new Lord British RPG) info.
-More info on the new space combat sims Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie. I know I want to get into one of them, but I'm still on the fence. Elite Dangerous looks like it will come out this year, so I may just start there.

Vita/3DS:
-Handheld gaming is starting to look kinda bleak. Some exclusive JRPG announcements would be nice. The DS/PSP had tons of awesome JRPG's, but this gen there has just been a few so far.

Sega:
-Any news from Sega would be nice. I was geeked when they showed PSO2 at PAX in 2012 and launched the western web site, but then nothing. They just seem to be fading away and calling it a day.

As for next gen consoles, I don't own a PS4, so mainly just XB1 exclusives and new announcements.
-Halo
-Quantum Break info
-See if the rumors of Phantom Dust II are true.
-See what kind of exclusives Microsoft locks down out of Japan.
-See if Rare announces something cool.
-More Fable Legends info.
-Something out of Microsoft's past would be cool, such as Crimson Skies, MechAssault, Starlancer, maybe a Battletech RPG (probably dreaming there).

PC:
-Shroud of the Avatar (new Lord British RPG) info.
-More info on the new space combat sims Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie. I know I want to get into one of them, but I'm still on the fence. Elite Dangerous looks like it will come out this year, so I may just start there.

Vita/3DS:
-Handheld gaming is starting to look kinda bleak. Some exclusive JRPG announcements would be nice. The DS/PSP had tons of awesome JRPG's, but this gen there has just been a few so far.

Sega:
-Any news from Sega would be nice. I was geeked when they showed PSO2 at PAX in 2012 and launched the western web site, but then nothing. They just seem to be fading away and calling it a day.

PSO2... gods i wish it were actually coming west

none of that Wii U shit

Killer Instinct season 2 and Sunset Overdrive.

Some big surprises would be nice.

TheOddOne

Everybody's face after E3:

iuaBotB8nvMOl.jpg

H2 multiplayer is H4 based:

iuaBotB8nvMOl.jpg

Not all maps included, half are map packs which cost 15 bucks each:

iuaBotB8nvMOl.jpg

Halo F2P announced:

iuaBotB8nvMOl.jpg

Spartan Assault 2 announced:

iuaBotB8nvMOl.jpg

Has anyone from 343i spoken about a waypoint app for Xbox One?

Waypoint on 360 was on the cusp of being fantastic but never reach it's potential.

Be neat to have Waypoint on Xbox one and intergrate it with Halo 5 so you could snap a persons game history in the lobby and see stats about the person.

Like when highlighting a person pregame you tap Y or something and Waypoint app snaps in with a 10 game history and stuff

belushy

Banned
I still remember when I actually thought the Game Informer leak was fake... couldn't believe they would actually do it. I still bought the game anyway :/ Part of the problem, I am.

I still remember when I actually thought the Game Informer leak was fake... couldn't believe they would actually do it. I still bought the game anyway :/ Part of the problem, I am.

I think the "leak is fake" thing came from the absurdity of all of the things it said were being added. at least for me it was.

none of that Wii U shit

Definitely looking forward to Sunset Overdrive and KI Season 2. I'm most excited for Evolve, can't wait to see what 2K and Turtle Rock have in store for the show. DICE and EA as well look very promising (Battlefront, MIrrors Edge 2). Ubisoft looks fine (Far Cry should be cool). And NHL 15 should be ok (Seeing what that next gen hockey is gonna look like).

PLUS SMASH! :p

Battlefront
Halo 5
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 1-4 Xboned Edition
Mass Effect 4
Mortal Kombat 10
The Order 1886
Star Wars (New IP)
Left 4 Dead 3
Portal 3(?)
Doom

That is what I'm most looking forward too at E3 and beyond. Stuff like Shadow of Mordor, AC5, Batman AK etc really interest me but I'm in the mood for some sci fi shoot bang.

MK10 makes the list because I played the shit out of that game and enjoyed every second. The Order is a mash up of everything I love, Turn of the century england, Monsters, Knights and Guns.

Top Bottom