• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

Creating playlists like "Oddball" as its own isn't a great idea because it puts that niche of a gametype on maps it simply does not belong; see Oddball on any map not named Haven. What you needed was 4v4 5v5 Flag/Oddball/King/Extraction as its own and put them on appropriate maps. So, of course, you don't see King of the Hill on Ragnarok or CTF on Abandon or Complex.

As for Halo 2, I'm sure Fyre knows but I think it was 8 player Rumble Pit, Team Slayer, Big Team Battle, Major/Minor clan, and Team Training. Team Skirmish came shortly after, I believe.

Close!. Team Skirmish actually started as Slayer/Obj, then Slayer was spun off and Skirmish was made obj only later on. (I think) Very soon after launch, anyway

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
There's merit to that argument, but I guess I'm more mindful of the fact that there are the "SWAT? Team Snipers? Back out!" contingent of people.

In Halo's case there are some examples (like you mention: SWAT/Snipers) being separated for good reason. Snipers tends to be taken more seriously and doesn't necessarily fit into a casually fun playlist with other game-modes.

Halo's strength and weakness is its diversity of play experiences, and there are people who hated MLG with a passion, others who only stuck to Grifball or Action Sack. Likewise Fyre has time and time again pointed out how objective craters the population of playlists.

Which is why they should be put in with Slayer because people that only want Slayer need to evolve/wake up.

Those same people that want to play a slayer-only team playlist also play FFA/Lone Wolves/etc. whenever they're by themselves, so it's redundant. You've always gotten slayer in MLG for example, it just wasn't the only thing which gave it sustainability. Why they have been so hesitant to just combine 4v4 Objective and Slayer like BTB used to be is lost on me. The sizes of those two playlists separately are not both top 1-3 in population to warrant that. The population has always looked ridiculous but these changes would make it look like this for top population:

4v4: Skirmish? (Slayer / Objective(Oddball/1-2Flag/King/Bomb/etc.)
8v8: BigTeam (^ same as above)
MLG
Action Sack
FFA
SWAT
Snipers
etc.

Custom game browsers aren't really an option either, aside from maybe trying to broaden customs to a larger segment of the playerbase.

They need to try harder to integrate a community playlist that isn't hot garbage this time around. They need to highlight modes like Jumping, Puzzling, Slender, etc. -- game modes of the past in an elegant way instead of it being hidden gems in the party leader's fileshare for customs.

I don't think Halo needs a full on server browser, it needs new playlists curated in a way that acknowledges Halo's niches, not just a lazy 4v4 variant that shows off community maps.

Takashi

Did Reach at launch have less actual maps (non forge) than the titles before it? I remember that being one of my first complaints when I got it. When I think back to previous games like Halo 2 it seemed like it had a shit ton of maps on it, and that's cause I didn't even have the dlc maps (no internet back then). I could be wrong tho, and all the games might have had roughly an equal amount

In Halo's case there are some examples (like you mention: SWAT/Snipers) being separated for good reason. Snipers tends to be taken more seriously and doesn't necessarily fit into a casually fun playlist with other game-modes.

Which is why they should be put in with Slayer because people that only want Slayer need to evolve/wake up.

Those same people that want to play a slayer-only team playlist also play FFA/Lone Wolves/etc. whenever they're by themselves, so it's redundant. You've always gotten slayer in MLG for example, it just wasn't the only thing which gave it sustainability. Why they have been so hesitant to just combine 4v4 Objective and Slayer like BTB used to be is lost on me. The sizes of those two playlists separately are not both top 1-3 in population to warrant that. The population has always looked ridiculous but these changes would make it look like this for top population:

MLG
Action Sack
FFA
SWAT
Snipers
etc.

They need to try harder to integrate a community playlist that isn't hot garbage this time around. They need to highlight modes like Jumping, Puzzling, Slender, etc. -- game modes of the past in an elegant way instead of it being hidden gems in the party leader's fileshare for customs.

I don't think Halo needs a full on server browser, it needs new playlists curated in a way that acknowledges Halo's niches, not just a lazy 4v4 variant that shows off community maps.

Niche needs to be second to halo's target Slayer/Obj 4v4 arena gameplay style playlists.

I have a feeling Halo is going to be a big focus at E3 this year.

Halo 5
Halo 2 Anniversary (1-4 collection?)
Speilberg Show
Ridley Scott Show

They could take up a chunk of Conference time with a few trailers.

I still remember the Halo Wars CG trailer and the Hype. They hype was real back then kids.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I think it might be super likely we get another ODST style game that introduces that guy we see on the Guardians cover. I'm hedging my bets on H2A but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what it turned out to be.

I just want a reason to renew XBL and maybe go get a Bone. I haven't played in like, many months.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
The video was actually here a few days ago, but I wonder how filming has been going.. Hopefully they some cool stuff to show for this at e3. I want games, but I will make an exception for some live action Halo.

Ah must of missed it. Wonder if they will show something from this and the Spielberg stuff at E3.

Mabef

Banned
So I was reading a wikipedia article on mescaline when my xbox blooped and I got the Halo 4 achievement for camping. Didn't know there was an achievement for that, kinda proud it took me this long to get it.

Dub117

So I was reading a wikipedia article on mescaline when my xbox blooped and I got the Halo 4 achievement for camping. Didn't know there was an achievement for that, kinda proud it took me this long to get it.
I like everything about this post

Omni

I believe I got mine when I stopped half way through a CTF match to come here and complain about jetpacks and SAWs

Kinda felt good

MLG
Action Sack
FFA
SWAT
Snipers
etc.

Previous games have proven there is no faster way to kill default playlists than mix slayer and objective, BTB and MLG are mild exceptions but I'd rather just see player toggles and less playlists. Mixed playlists and vote variants would be dynamic, awesome and enable players to only toggle slayer or objective if they or their party desired.

Players toggles for maps and gametypes plus dedis with in game rank with no black screen/host migration would seriously retain population and reduce quitters. Hands down, no doubt in my mind. It even has the added benefit of indirectly increasing skill matching for individuals and parties as the players are nominating their favourites e.g. gametypes and maps they have their best experience/skills.

Dub117

I at least expected an emotive story of suffering and anguish to enjoy.

I did it. I finally picked up a copy of Halo 4.

Now that's more like it.
:ROFL

Installing my free Spartan Assault now. Is this going to make me hate Palmer more or less? I'm actually pretty excited about playing it, it being the only Halo game I haven't played.

Edit: crap Spartan Assault stuck on freaking 99%

I did it. I finally picked up a copy of Halo 4.

So sorry
bugsjpg.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
:ROFL

Installing my free Spartan Assault now. Is this going to make me hate Palmer more or less? I'm actually pretty excited about playing it, it being the only Halo game I haven't played.

Edit: crap Spartan Assault stuck on freaking 99%

Seems to be an Xbox One issue affecting the Games with Gold program. I'd recommend keeping an eye on Xbox Support on Twitter for further updates.

Tawpgun

Have you tried the ten second power cycle?

I don't even know if this is a joke or not.

But the consensus seems to be you need to have the update to play the games. Meaning I need to get into the preview or the update needs to come out.

Pretty super lame imo, get your shit together xbox. And when the hell will I finally be able to snap friends list.

I don't even know if this is a joke or not.

But the consensus seems to be you need to have the update to play the games. Meaning I need to get into the preview or the update needs to come out.

Pretty super lame imo, get your shit together xbox. And when the hell will I finally be able to snap friends list.

he said ten second power cycle not power cycling your bone tenfold babby

200 people play Proving Ground?

I don't play that one but any mid week night, Aussie time, it's usually like 5-40 players only. I'm tempted to get our regular players in and see if we can match SUDD2 just see how he/they play.

looks like the other guys below him didnt even tried to get first place

I guess SUDD2 doesn't have a regular PG team otherwise you'd see them all as 50s??? I suppose those MLG/AGL teams use customs more than playlists though.

CyReN

No idea what it says but I assume that it basically said Halo 5is cancelled and we get Halo 2 right?

Translation:

Road to #XboxE3,

(#XboxE3 2003, Halo 2's first demo was presented) - Text corner right.
(#XboxE3 2004, Halo 2's first multiplayer demo was presented. 12 people played in Zanzibar in Halo 2 during the event.) - Text corner left.

TWITTER

In this #TuesdayofHalo we remember the #XboxE3's of 2003 and 2004, where we had more information about the legendary #Halo2

Anyone up for a game of Halo 4? I need some people to play with since all my old Halo buddies have passed away.
not really but I need new peeps

Top Bottom