• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

iHEpJqZHmBztC.jpg

I guess what would it be... oh yes, Halo 2.

Even Phil knows Halo 4 was horrible lol.

Apparently Marty ODonnell is suing Bungie for unpaid benefits. Listed Harold Ryan as the primary responsible party.
When I heard he left I guessed that it didn't end on good terms, that really sucks :/

He's waiting until Halo 6 comes out so that HaloGAF, being the hipster shitlords we are, become nostalgic of Halo 4 and he can actually tell us 4's his favorite without us eating him alive.
It's true after 4 I couldn't help but like Reach more. But I think it comes down to each Halo game been worse than the previous one.

Game is amazing, don't rush through it and just take your time. Every time I play it I find something new whilst exploring the city.
Also carbine is king

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Kotaku comment on the new Halo article:

Garlador: I still remember in Halo 3's dramatic ending, my imagination of a Halo 4 where Chief wakes up, no months, not years, not decades, but perhaps a full century or more later to a universe far different and more alien than he remembers, where everything he knew and was familiar with, including humanity itself, was either absent or fundamentally changed.

Instead, we just got more of the same. It was serviceable, but they had such an opportunity to take Halo in a bold new direction.

This basically sums up my feelings on everything done with Halo currently. Those Forerunner novels could have wrapped up that lore nicely and left it at that.

I wouldn't even mind if the big players in the universe (ONI, UNSC, Covenant) were still in affect after a long gap, but it was super disappointing to hear that just only 5 years had passed by and everything was more or less unchanged.

My hope is Halo gets adventurous again and stops being so tethered to this baggage of the Covenant, Flood, Forerunners, UNSC, etc. They've already shown the brevity and depth of how deep the Halo lore can go, especially time-wise. I really feel like the only historical setting left that I care to play in is the ancient Human/Forerunner war simply because of just how wildly different everything would be.

If we ever get a HALO: Grunt Squadron game, I'd really love for them to pull a Final Destination 5 and
make it look like it's going to end badly for the Grunt Rookie at the hands of Brutes, only for him to be taken to the Brute Army Commander... the level-headed, short-statured intelligent one from Halo Wars. In other words, the game's actually a prequel of sorts where the Covenant "win" once they invade Harvest during "Five Years Of Hell"-era pre-Halo Wars. The BAC requested Grookie be brought to him for surviving so many tours, and is rewarded handsomely in the best way a Grunt could - by retiring and becoming the BAC's official scribe, weaving exaggerated tales of the Brute Army Commander's exploits and heroism while staying out of the war. You could even throw in a happy ending bit about saying that Grookie's the first ever Grunt to actually survive long enough to legally be required to retire.

TheOddOne

If we ever get a HALO: Grunt Squadron game, I'd really love for them to pull a Final Destination 5 and
make it look like it's going to end badly for the Grunt Rookie at the hands of Brutes, only for him to be taken to the Brute Army Commander... the level-headed, short-statured intelligent one from Halo Wars. In other words, the game's actually a prequel of sorts where the Covenant "win" once they invade Harvest during "Five Years Of Hell"-era pre-Halo Wars. The BAC requested Grookie be brought to him for surviving so many tours, and is rewarded handsomely in the best way a Grunt could - by retiring and becoming the BAC's official scribe, weaving exaggerated tales of the Brute Army Commander's exploits and heroism while staying out of the war. You could even throw in a happy ending bit about saying that Grookie's the first ever Grunt to actually survive long enough to legally be required to retire.
shaq-finally-gets-it-shaq-gifs.gif

As much as I love Master Chief, if we're serious about taking Halo's story in new directions and not making it feel really forced, we need another Halo 2 Campaign. Without Halo 2, the Covenant wouldn't be as memorable as they are. The books help with diving into the details, but I think it would be more effective if they kept Master Chief's journeys with less people involved while we also controlling another character who's more involved with the politics and various societies/species of the Halo universe.

\\==========

You know, after I reread that, I realized we already have a perfect character suitable for that role:
The Arbiter

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Um a few months I've been a member. Been lurking for years.

What country or state are you posting from? New York City.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I've been a Halo fan since 1. I remember great moments in every game. Hang em High, Lockout, Guardian, Countdown, Haven. Blood Gulch, Coagulation, Valhalla, Ragnarok, Forge World.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Multiplayer. Definitely.

What is your favorite playlist?
One Flag CTF! Especially on Sanctuary I miss that map.

Help us get to know you better.
I'm an aspiring writer/entertainer and I love Halo. And I should have filled this out a long time ago.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
As much as I love Master Chief, if we're serious about taking Halo's story in new directions and not making it feel really forced, we need another Halo 2 Campaign. Without Halo 2, the Covenant wouldn't be as memorable as they are. The books help with diving into the details, but I think it would be more effective if they kept Master Chief's journeys with less people involved while we also controlling another character who's more involved with the politics and various societies/species of the Halo universe.

\\==========

You know, after I reread that, I realized we already have a perfect character suitable for that role:
The Arbiter

No you're right, that's exactly what needs to happen given what we're inclined to believe. But I'm guessing it's the ONI guy with the Arbiter being instead some side protagonist/antagonist.

Anything is honestly better than the H4 switcheroo of being "oh cool we're on our own again!" to UNSC sliding into our DM's. Fuck that noise man!

No you're right, that's exactly what needs to happen given what we're inclined to believe. But I'm guessing it's the ONI guy with the Arbiter being instead some side protagonist/antagonist.

Anything is honestly better than the H4 switcheroo of being "oh cool we're on our own again!" to UNSC sliding into our DM's. Fuck that noise man!
I wouldn't mind playing further into the future, but if The Arbiter doesn't exist in that universe, then I'm not as interested in playing it ;b

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Like who actually felt excited/glad that Infinity showed up in that level? Or that the first meeting of chief in years with all new S4's was super dismissive and business as usual. It all felt super weak, missed opportunities etc.

The most fun I had in H4 was the first moment where you see the floating installations after you get on Reqiuem and the few minutes that followed and the Pelican section reveal. Everything else was super underwhelming and uninspired imo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's probably not worth making a thread so I'll ask here:

I want to buy a month of gold and get the XB1 games with gold titles. I know when my sub runs out I lose access to them. When I eventually resub, do I get them back? I'm guessing I'll eventually get gold permanently and I kind of want Spartan Assault and the other game.

FyreWulff

I want to buy a month of gold and get the XB1 games with gold titles. I know when my sub runs out I lose access to them. When I eventually resub, do I get them back? I'm guessing I'll eventually get gold permanently and I kind of want Spartan Assault and the other game.

yeah

Karl2177

Wait you lose access when you turn Silver on Xbone?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah, it locks until you buy the membership

Wait you lose access when you turn Silver on Xbone?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah they copied the PSN system for the X1.

Computron

Speaking of which, I can't see a contextual cover lean mechanic being a good thing for a Halo game.

But some of them are pretty hilarious.

See Crysis 2 single player:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

Sub-Zero at a Starbucks named new Creative Director at 343 Industries.

Makes up even more crazy lore.

Adds perks to lore.

RIP Halo.

343 Industries reveals partnership with Starbucks and Teavana products. Starbuckses line every urban war zone containing vital lore and health packs. Chief is taken captive my a madman ONI hipster that rigs his suit with a unique third Lore meter of hit points: it's surprisingly durable, breaking only when Chief himself does (much like Metroid energy tanks), but Chief must scour for knowledge at every turn.

HALO: The Salts Unleashed details the Human-Forerunner War from the perspective of the Starbuck, a game-changing, kinetically-gifted Manipular who trained under the wing of the Ur-Didact.

Are you mad? I'd never add perks. Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades become an integral part of understanding the universe, though. They're liquid information storage matrices that get injected into your jugular to learn more about the enigmatic intrigue of the Halo universe. Also available in caffeine patch and k-cup form.

The Spartan scope tech got me thinking: what's another baroque piece of shit the Haloverse needs to be burdened with? The Scope Grenade! Cylindrical in natute, it's a non-damaging, independent wireless scope the user rolls like a bowling ball across surfaces to survey areas. LT to deploy, toggle clicking in on RS to see from the Scope Grenade's POV.

In a game where aim and strafe can make up a fair percentage of the overall skill gap, the short strafe must be effective. Failure to provide the ability to perform an effective short strafe, whether it be from poor movement acceleration values, when changing directions, that simply do not allow for a crisp short strafe or from overly high aim assist, that renders even the effective looking short strafes useless, will result in a narrowing of the skill gap by making control of both thumbsticks less relevant. Having good aim becomes more important when an enemy can strafe effectively. A good strafe is more important against enemies who can aim effectively. One thumb washes the other.

ElRenoRaven

And that's not something MS should be lambasted for. Its stupid that people think its bad or something.

From a business perspective I get it and agree. From a consumer perspective it sucks ass. But yea. I mean if Sony is doing it and succeeding like all hell doing it then why not copy what they do? It only makes sense from a business perspective. MS shouldn't be given shit for it.

Top Bottom