• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Booshka

Which I kind of don't understand. I could play Halo 3 for hours, and even reach too before I wanted a break. but with Halo 4, I occasionally play couple games of MM a week now, and then I dont have fun and get off for a few days.

It's pretty simple, the gameplay is not rewarding, I don't feel like I can really out-shoot or out-play anyone that is decent at the game. The skill ceiling is so low with the heavy auto aim, terrible strafe and other factors that winning or losing isn't important. I just don't care if someone kills me or if I killed them because the gameplay is so shallow and boring. How can I be invested in a game that is so dumbed down that I don't care about combat encounters?

Even with dumb as fuck bloom in Reach, I could out-shoot players, if I got killed I could justify it as being out-shot or random bullshit. Halo 4 is so stupidly easy that if I get killed it's probably because I was weak to begin with or was shot first, and almost nothing else. The skill ceiling is at the floor, so who cares when you die or get a kill.

Even "Pro Gamers" like Pistola, or Ninja killing me wouldn't matter, I don't care to get better in a game with such boring and shallow core mechanics.

daedalius

I feel like I'm missing out not being able to complain how boring halo 4 is.

Wait a second.

Nope, I'm not.

And the other thread is all people bitching they don't know where to talk about halo.

We need some kind of news evidently :|

Spartan assault soon! What is the next event we might see anything related to halo 5?

NOKYARD

It's pretty simple, the gameplay is not rewarding,
The way i play the game is extremely rewarding. One of these days i might try the shooting guns part, until then...

jTmfficmiVsEo_xs.jpg

This is a map submission we received from RECEPTOR 17 for the GrifballHUB LAN at the RTX booth.
I noticed the builder constructed his Valkyrie/Shield emblem above the court so i took the liberty of colouring it for him.

FyreWulff

I bet FyreWulff just had his name changed to the first thing the Xbox random gamertag generator gave him.

Was actually the name for the avatar I have. Also because reasons.

That's ok.

343 adds radar to Slayer Pro (finally) in BTB and doesn't change the name of the gametype. lol come on man, that shit must be confusing.

JUST CALL IT TEAM SLAYER!

edit: Also, PP added back into the Carbine slot.

Maybe they feel people will miss the fact that it doesn't say 'Infinity' in it and notice it's different? Dunno, still weird though.

Wonder what BTB Skirmish is going to include in it. Might as well try something, it looks like Team Objective has team objective'd and bottomed out in population.

Striker

Wonder what BTB Skirmish is going to include in it. Might as well try something, it looks like Team Objective has team objective'd and bottomed out in population.
Probably because nothing in the playlist really works or is genuinely fun (yeah opinions).

There's a lot of things like King Ragnarok, Exile Oddball, King Longbow, King Meltdown, etc.

They might as well add CTF in there and remove the Infinity aspects. Every time I try to search in CTF I get things like "Abandon - CTF, Abandon - Infinity CTF, Settler CTF", or something along those lines. Why does each variant show up like that? Why is Infinity still in there in the first place? It's as bad as most other things like the game, like the Mantis and PV. Settler also shows up far too much.

So if they're doing an 8v8 skirmish playlist and keeping in things like Oddball and King it's just being sent out to die. The gametypes are wretched in the game and forcing gametypes like those into anything above 4v4 is a colossal mistake.

It's pretty simple, the gameplay is not rewarding, I don't feel like I can really out-shoot or out-play anyone that is decent at the game. The skill ceiling is so low with the heavy auto aim, terrible strafe and other factors that winning or losing isn't important. I just don't care if someone kills me or if I killed them because the gameplay is so shallow and boring. How can I be invested in a game that is so dumbed down that I don't care about combat encounters?

Even with dumb as fuck bloom in Reach, I could out-shoot players, if I got killed I could justify it as being out-shot or random bullshit. Halo 4 is so stupidly easy that if I get killed it's probably because I was weak to begin with or was shot first, and almost nothing else. The skill ceiling is at the floor, so who cares when you die or get a kill.

Even "Pro Gamers" like Pistola, or Ninja killing me wouldn't matter, I don't care to get better in a game with such boring and shallow core mechanics.

This hits the nail on the head for me, what kept me going on the older Halo games where the individual encounters, the ones where I would out strafe and out BR someone. In this game there is none of that. :(

Also Fyre's GT change is jarring.

BigShow36

I get this sentiment completely, as it's how I've felt for the past 10+ years. However, I don't understand how you can claim Halo 4's skill ceiling is lower than Halo 2, 3 or Reach. The shooting skill gap is comparable in all those games, and they're all depressingly low. Halo 2's only real salvation were glitches and the fact that the kill-speed was faster; the actual shooting skill gap was just as low (if not lower) than Halo 4's.

Tawpgun

Sorta feeling the same way now that I think about it.

Even in reach you couldn't outstrafe someone, you could outshoot them because of the bloom and controlling it. It made things messy at higher levels but I felt confident taking on a less skilled player.

Now every BR fight can go either way. I even fear players like heckfu now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Was actually the name for the avatar I have. Also because reasons.

Maybe they feel people will miss the fact that it doesn't say 'Infinity' in it and notice it's different? Dunno, still weird though.

I would use this new gametype to bring back players who are turned off by Infinity. It's what the game should have launched with.

I've got some good ideas for Objective and BTB Skirmish and all that stuff. I'm trying to see if I can properly display why they're good ideas and then get them to the right people.

gAg CruSh3r

Last night, I went to a LAN that my friend hosted. He has a modded Xbox that he could use the modded game types and added or take away things if need. We played 1 flag CTF (The real one) with some little tweaks to it. The tweak I really liked about it is that there is a setting that you can use called bro radius. Bro radius is how far apart is between you and the Flag carrier. You can determine what kind of special traits that can be set into play when near the carrier. So my friend added damage boost when your almost 3 people apart. It really made it worth it to keep very close to the carrier.

Also we played the Gun game; which was amazing. I hope that game type makes it way to Halo 4's playlist.

Here is the list of things you can tweak to some of the game type settings using mods.They are pretty interesting to use.

LOADOUT NAME NEW SPINNER OPTIONS:
(They have numbers set into place instead of the word itself in the game type options)
01 - Carrier
02 - Combat
03 - Decoy
04 - Engineer
05 - Hologram
06 - Hunter
07 - Jetpack
08 - Marksman
09 - Rogue
10 - Shield
11 - Stalker
12 - Stealth
13 - Thrust
14 - Vision
15 - Oni Classified (Was a test, doesn't work?)

HEALTH:
01 - damage resistance
02 - shield multiplier
03 - body multiplier
04 - shield stun duration
05 - shield recharge rate
06 - body recharge rate
07 - overshield recharge
08 - vampirism percent
09 - explosive damage resistance
10 - wheelman armor vehicle stun time modifier
11 - wheelman armor vehicle recharge time modifier
12 - wheelman armor vehicle emp disabled time modifier
13 - headshot immunity
14 - assassination immunity
15 - deathless

WEAPON/DAMAGE:
>01 - grenade recharge seconds frag
>02 - grenade recharge seconds plasma
>03 - grenade recharge seconds spike
>04 - switch speed modifier
>05 - reload speed modifier
>06 - ordnance points modifier
>07 - explosive area of effect radius modifier
>08 - gunner armor modifier
>09 - stability armor modifier
>10 - drop recon warning seconds
>11 - drop recon distance modifier
>12 - assassination speed modifier
01 - damage multiplier
02 - melee damage multiplier
03 - weapon pickup allowed
04 - initial grenade count
05 - infinite ammo
06 - initial primary weapon
07 - initial secondary weapon
08 - weapons ammopack
09 - weapons grenadier
10 - weapons explode on death armormod
11 - ordnance markers visible
12 - weapons ordnance reroll available
13 - weapons resourceful
14 - weapons well equipped
15 - ordnance disabled

EQUIPMENT:
>01 - hero equipment energy use rate modifier
>02 - hero equipment energy recharge delay modifier
>03 - hero equipment energy recharge rate modifier
>04 - hero equipment initial energy modifier
>05 - equipment energy use rate modifier
>06 - equipment energy recharge delay modifier
>07 - equipment energy use recharge rate modifier
>08 - equipment energy initial energy modifier
>09 - directional damage indicator
>10 - vision mode
>11 - battle awareness
>12 - threat view
>13 - aural enhancement
>14 - nemesis
01 - fast track armor
02 - powerup cancellation
03 - equipment usage
04 - equipment usage excepting auto turret
05 - equipment drop
06 - infinite equipment
07 - initial equipment
08 - initial tactical package
09 - initial support upgrade
10 - motion tracker range
11 - nemesis duration
12 - motion tracker
13 - motion tracker while zoomed

MOVEMENT:
01 - fall damage multiplier
02 - speed
03 - gravity multiplier
04 - jump multiplier
05 - turn speed multiplier
06 - vehicle usage
07 - double jump
08 - sprint usage
09 - automatic momentum usage
10 - vaulting enabled
11 - stealthy

APPEARANCE:
01 - player scale
02 - active camo
03 - waypoint
04 - gamertag visible
05 - aura
06 - death effect
07 - looping effect
08 - shield hud
09 - primary color (hidden via decreased reflexive size)
10 - secondary color (hidden via decreased reflexive size)
11 - model variant (hidden via decreased reflexive size)

Tashi

Uhhh this is Golden Boy commentating? He's far and away the best commentator Halo has had since H3 Puckett. I'm actually in shock. Get this guy to AGL too, wow.

malfcn

Well I no longer have any illusions that I am decent at the game. When I play alone or with a buddy we can run it pretty well against regulars.
But playing with HaloGAF last night was ridiculous. I think I went negative every match, and while exwife would get quadruple the kills and half my deaths.

That and it was frustrating to have my shots appear to be hitting enemies and nothing happen.
Not like that happens every now and then, but with the level of the other teams it felt magnified more that usual.
Almost every battle I got shit on.

I was out of my league, should just stick to my own level. :(

Tashi

Well I no longer have any illusions that I am decent at the game. When I play alone or with a buddy we can run it pretty well against regulars.
But playing with HaloGAF last night was ridiculous. I think I went negative every match, and while exwife would get quadruple the kills and half my deaths.

That and it was frustrating to have my shots appear to be hitting enemies and nothing happen.
Not like that happens every now and then, but with the level of the other teams it felt magnified more that usual.
Almost every battle I got shit on.

I was out of my league, should just stick to my own level. :(

You play with better people to get better at the game

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Yo Domino raise some defect reports for me.

Case 1: My Spartan can periodically move faster than others.
To Reproduce: Press A

Case 2: Weapons fall from the sky!
To Reproduce: Press A until weapon falls from the sky.

Case 3: Firing anywhere with a Sniper Rifle results in a headshot.
To Reproduce: Swing the right trigger randomly and press RT whilst holding the Sniper.

Seriously, I am holding you responsible for raising these issues with the dev's. All jokes aside congratulations!

I get this sentiment completely, as it's how I've felt for the past 10+ years. However, I don't understand how you can claim Halo 4's skill ceiling is lower than Halo 2, 3 or Reach. The shooting skill gap is comparable in all those games, and they're all depressingly low. Halo 2's only real salvation were glitches and the fact that the kill-speed was faster; the actual shooting skill gap was just as low (if not lower) than Halo 4's.

It's been 8 years, 7 months, 14 days, 14 hours, 29 minutes and 37 seconds from typing this post to be exact.

Top Bottom